More weapons / armor in Witcher 2

+
More weapons / armor in Witcher 2

The amount of weapons and armor in the Witcher, is the game element which in my opinion should be mostly improved. Gamers play RPGs for the story and choices as well as customization and loot. The Witcher is not "loot-heavy" RPG and it shouldn't be, but more weapons and armor in the game, can only make this great game even better :)So, what do you guys think?

I respectfully disagree. RPG's are my favorite games, and most of them have lots of weapons and armor, and this aspect of the game is often annoying.I mean, yes, it's wonderful to find a weapon or a piece of armor that's much better than what you currently have -- who doesn't like that? But what I hate is the constant comparisons and constant tiny upgrades. This sword does 3 -5 damage, and the one I've just found does 4 -6, so I'll upgrade to that one. Three minutes later, I find a sword that does 5 - 7, so I upgrade to that one. Two minutes after that, I find a sword that does 6 -8.Argh!I like it much, much better when a game has a small number of large and meaningful improvements in weapons and armor, rather than this constant incrementation. And I find it weird to have armor and weapons lying around EVERYwhere. I like it that most of The Witcher's better weapons and armor came as quest rewards; that makes a lot more sense to me, and it makes the upgrade not just good to have for its own sake but also a pat on the back for a job well done. I liked getting a sword from Foltest for saving his daughter, and I LOVED getting the sword from the Lady of the Lake -- one of the coolest cutscenes in the game. Finding a sword that does 3% more damage just lying around is nowhere near as much fun, for me, as getting a sword that does twice as much damage as a reward for doing something important, even if those big, reward items happen only a handful of times per game.The one quibble I had with the way that weapons and armor were distributed in TW1 was that the player gets Raven's armor too late in the game to get much use out of it. Sure, such powerful armor should come relatively late in the game, but it would have been nice to have it at the very end of Chapter 4 or the very beginning of Chapter 5, so that we'd get a whole chapter's worth of use out of it.I've heard some people say that The Witcher should have more weapons and armor, and it's seemed as if they were asking for that just because it was what they were used to, without really thinking it through. You don't strike me as an unthoughtful type, though, so I'd be interested in hearing why you think a lot more weapons and armor would improve the game. (Besides "loot is cool," of course. :D)

One of the extra ordinary highlights of The Witcher is the reference to our reality. The Witcher fantasy world isn't a shiny and glorious one, it struggles with many prroblems we have in RL as well, in particular poverty. It's unrealistic when one finds in such an evironment (valuable) weapons and armors.Of course Geralt can't use a sword with low damage in final chapters when he fights against stronger opponnets. And I appreciate improved equipment as well. But it shouldn't turn out as a mass article. I think it was well arranged in TW1 and should be handled in the same matter in TW2... a few better swords maybe with more possibilities to forge it individually. And the same goes for armor ;)

Corylea said:
I've heard some people say that The Witcher should have more weapons and armor, and it's seemed as if they were asking for that just because it was what they were used to, without really thinking it through. You don't strike me as an unthoughtful type, though, so I'd be interested in hearing why you think a lot more weapons and armor would improve the game. (Besides "loot is cool," of course. :D)
For a few reasons, I think there should be more items in the game, but I agree that constant loot gaining is often annoying. For me, what is important, is the balance between having only a few weapons / armor in the game and having so much loot that you can't even count it. It can be balanced, depending on the gameplay, story, length of the game etc.Having more loot can make the ingame money and economic system much more valuable and important. You have to decide, what to buy and sell (as you choose your story path), but if you want you can also wait for the unique quest-gained sword, armor etc.Also, there is some amount of gamers who won't play the Witcher, because there isn't enough customization for their «RPG taste». You can't change character appearance, because it's story driven game, but what about the loot? I think that having, for example, like 10-15 armors in the game instead of 2-3 can attract even more players, but it shouldn't be 100+ items just to mainstream the game as much as possible, because the whole feeling of your progress in the game can be ruined. For me, balance is the key :)This is why I added «middle» option in the poll.

If anything, I think the weapons in TW get too powerful.Yes, there should be a benefit to using a magic sword, but geralt should be winning fights 'cos of his skills, not that +100% damage armour ignoring dwarven sword.Perhaps more of a focus on oils and other means of temporarily enhancing weapons via alchemy, maybe even blending oils together.Or just adding different secondary ingredient effects for oils.24 hours is a very long duration, really ..."Enchanting" weapons yourself feels more like the whole witcher thing of researching monsters and preparing with what works best.

Tlazolteotl said:
If anything, I think the weapons in TW get too powerful.Yes, there should be a benefit to using a magic sword, but geralt should be winning fights 'cos of his skills, not that +100% damage armour ignoring dwarven sword.
I agree. Geralt isn't some generic RPG fighter; he's a genetically-modified, intensively-trained character from a specific time and place. He's an amazing fighter because he's a witcher; that's the whole point. Geralt should be better than everyone else even when using the same sword that everyone else uses. There's a moment in the books when Geralt kills a manticore in full view of an army officer, and the army officer is scared and disturbed by how fast Geralt is.
"Enchanting" weapons yourself feels more like the whole witcher thing of researching monsters and preparing with what works best.
I agree. It makes sense that a cadre of dedicated monster slayers would accumulate and pass down lore about each monster's weaknesses, and those things might even only be weaknesses in a witcher's eyes, since a monster could be -- for example -- slow to them but still fast to everybody else. And they have the name "witcher" because they can do minor (well, minor compared to sorceresses; it's pretty impressive to an ordinary person!) magic, so your enchanting idea -- and CDPR's implementation of it via oils and such -- makes good sense to me. It makes the gameplay grow out of the story, rather than being separate from it, which makes both of them stronger and more interesting.

Tlazolteotl said:
Perhaps more of a focus on oils and other means of temporarily enhancing weapons via alchemy, maybe even blending oils together.Or just adding different secondary ingredient effects for oils.
Yes, and potions and signs as well. There is much more about the effect of potions in the novels than weapons or armor. And when it comes to these items, it's really something special, for example when Zoltan gives his Sihil sword to Geralt as a gift. Or when Geralt could (finally) effort a new jerkin in 'The Eternal Fire' which gets damaged during a roit on a tavern. Geralt was very upset about it though it wasn't an armour. These (in-game) material things contravene to the saga.Better only a few very special items which the player really appreciate because they are really rare ;)

I would actually like to see LESS useless weapons and MORE useful weapons. Branch out a little, and lets see Geralt actually have and use that silver chain from the cinematics. Cut down on the number of one-handed weapons not useful to Geralt's combat style and throw in a couple which CAN be. Have that dagger do MORE than just a finishing move occasionally - perhaps have a flaying animation, or have Geralt throw it. Yes, Wolf-clan witchers rely on only a few weapon types, but their combat skills MUST be more than close-up fighting. Personalize the witcher armor. It neednt have better/worse defensive rating, just make it a little more interactive and customizable for looks.Improve on what is there. There is no reason to change the game style to a packmule like Oblivion, or to force Geralt to stray from the norms of being a Witcher. Just EXPAND a little.

Some weapons should be better at some things, while some other are better at other things.In that way, quite a few of the weapons in The Witcher were disappointing. The meteorite swords for example are basically of no use since you can get much more powerful steel swords earlier.More importantly than numbers, each weapon should have specific advantages when fighting using a certain style and strategy.Something interesting as well might be to allow more equipment slots, or rune slots on weapons, so as to combine effects for an effective strategy.

loufoque said:
The meteorite swords for example are basically of no use since you can get much more powerful steel swords earlier.
Really? I got a meteorite sword towards the end of Chapter 1, and I don't remember any other steel swords being available until Chapter 2 at the earliest.I like it that it's Geralt who's special, more than his equipment. He was mutated as a child, after all; I think that's more interesting than any chunk of steel could be.

I can understand the arguments against having too many weapons like in traditional RPGs, but I agree there needs to be a little more variety here. I hated that apart from meteorite upgrades I was mostly using the same weapon in Acts 1 to 3; the really good named swords didn't come around till Act 4 and onwards. From that point on there were more than I needed, and when Velerad gave me that sword for saving Adda I was miffed because by then I'd already acquired a much better blade(I think I had the Mahakaman Sihill, or was it the one the Murky Waters smith sold?). I think getting one or two markedly better swords per Act would be best.As for armor, there's no question that more options are needed. Who liked going through four Acts with the same leather jacket? And for those arguing that Witchers don't wear metal armor, wasn't Raven's armor modelled after a Gnomish breastplate and have chainmail sleeves? And I'd also like it if magical jewelry(rings, amulets etc.) were incorporated into the game. The first game had monster-repelling talismans but that was it. It'd like some that enhanced Geralt's stats, like a necklace that increased Sign intensity or a ring that increased his endurance.

Though Raven's armour has a breast plate and chainmail sleeves it's not a full metal plate. And I guess already this armour restricts Geralt's agility because in the final cutscene he wears his normal leather jacket again and got rid of the heavy Raven's armor ;DWell, it's tempting to have more equipment as enhancements like jewelryand maybe gloves and belts as well. But I don't want the game to degenerate as a material orientated mainstream game.

For armour, i might like some earlier, maybe with slightly different look.For weapons - is there a mod that lets you have curved blades early rather than late? More than the stats, i like the cool looks of some weapons. Starting with scimitar/khopesh type weapons would be a neat option.My other weird wish would be for No-Cliffracers... if you know what i mean.

I liked how different this game was in putting less emphasis on gear. It was more realistic. I hope they focus more on the skill tree and make the combat more complex. Most importantly I hope they make more viable "builds" so you want to replay it in a different style.

Personally I thought it was the lack of equipment that made the uber gear you get at the end so awesome. If you were bombarded with gear before, then the legendary armor you had to forge and the sword you got from the sea lady wouldn't be as cool as it was.

Frontl1ne said:
Personally I thought it was the lack of equipment that made the uber gear you get at the end so awesome. If you were bombarded with gear before, then the legendary armor you had to forge and the sword you got from the sea lady wouldn't be as cool as it was.
Good point. The other thing is that I think that on TW1 there where to many equipment (swords) that weren't useful to you, so in that sense maybe TW2 needs a little more loot.

PabloLFC said:
The other thing is that I think that on TW1 there where to many equipment (swords) that weren't useful to you, so in that sense maybe TW2 needs a little more loot.
There were definitely two many useless swords in the game and it somehow seemed most of them were available in the last two chapters. That leads to always choosing the same pair of swords at the end of the game because they are "the best". At least for me.But I don't get why that would make us want more loot in TW2? Maybe the devs should go for even less loot, but then handed over to the player more thoughtful? Talk about "quality loot"?TW1 made me getting used to Geralt carrying around the same (looking) set of swords and the same clothes up to a point where I was even refusing to swap Geralt's Meteorite Sword for the way better Mahakam Sihil -just because it was not his sword. Maybe "my" Geralt became more attached to his stuff, argh sometimes role-playing is a pain ;)But I'm sure there will be a nice balanced availability of "rewards" even for the more materialistic versions of Geralt out there without sacrificing the credibilty and realistic feeling of the in-game-world in terms of hidden enchanted fire blades in hollow tree trunks ;)Hmm... but sometimes I would even wish there were less monsters, but if you encountered one, then you'd be in a hell of a fight..like in the books :) Which wouldn't necessarily mean less enemies.. There are enough humans and non-humans around and that could even lead to lots of interesting moral decisions and complications. I felt the game was a bit over-populated with supernatural beasts and monsters, makes me miss the feeling that I had while reading the book of Geralt actually wandering through the kingdoms following rumors to be able to make enough money for a living. Yes, I know, it doesn't really seem to fit into a game concept. I just got carried away a bit.. ;)so bottom line of this: not more loot, but more quality loot and I still trust the devs to get it right :)cheers!

THere will be something like 3 sets of light armour and a heavy equivalent - REDs confirmed on that...Dunno 'bout the weapons. Probable is that we will have a chance to change the hairstyle to our liking. So the looks customization has much improved and is sufficient I'll say.

I liked the itemization of the first game, every weapon stood on it's own and if you were looking for specific stats early on there was a variety to craft from ore/runes. No hoarding and comparing of all the weapons your enemies drop.

Top Bottom