Mouse and Keyboard suggestions

+
Mouse and Keyboard suggestions

I prefer to play with a mouse and keyboard. Compared to the right thumbstick of a controller the mouse gives me rapid and very precise control over the camera. That ability should be reflected in the way soft targeting works.

The soft targeting is very obviously set up to reflect the use of an analog thumbstick with a relatively stationary camera. For a keyboard user the tendency of the game to select enemies that are "behind" the camera's FOV are not only counterintuitive they are regularly very frustrating. Speaking as a M&KB user I am used to the targeting what is in the center of the screen. That's what I'm looking at. That's where my intention is. That's what I'm expecting Geralt to hit, with priority given to closer "sword range" targets. The current soft targeting regularly has Geralt swinging his "steel cock" in the direction of an enemy that is both off camera and impossible to hit with a sword, which very frequently results in the enemy I intended to hit hitting me instead. Several very subtle tweaks for M&KB soft targeting could go a LONG way to making the game less frustrating.

Running & Sprinting. It's obvious this is another area where the game was designed to be played with a controller. For a M&KB user the way the running and sprinting controls change depending on whether Geralt is in or out of doors is, again, counterintuitive and frustrating. For a M&KB user jogging becomes a toggle. I use Caps Lock and my hand is used to translating "jog" into tapping the caps lock key. Toggle on, toggle off, toggle on, toggle off. This happens rapidly and many many many many times just while navigating the environment. Then I enter an interior environment and all of a sudden the toggle stops working and to get Geralt to jog I need to hit a different key to get the same effect. It would make so much more sense to simply disable sprinting while leaving the jog function intact. The way it is now is, once more, counterintuitive and frustrating.

Also, one last thought, locking the camera into a specific range of motion is simply absurd. There is no logical reason for denying the player the ability to look down. Coupled with the lack of a control for climbing down ledges (the way the NPC's do) and this lack of functionality results in very awkward movements of the camera just to see if there is a ledge under Geralt, and when driving a boat the player can't look underneath the sail so is forced to swing the camera way to the left or right to see what's in front of the boat... only to have the game "correct" me by swinging the camera back into it's useless position directly behind the sail. As a M&KB user I NEVER need the game to correct the camera position. Ever. It doesn't need to happen.

Several very simple changes to the way the control scheme works for M&KB users really would go a long way toward making the game, well, better.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom