NCPD wasn't fixed enough

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Several off-topic posts deleted. Please stay on topic, not only in this but all other threads as well. This is becoming a really tiresome trend.

I think you are doing a bad analysis... :(
The police system is so basic, for me it's more like that (We=CDPR i don't know who) :
We have no time (or whatever reason) for best one before release, whatever, we put it like that in the game and then we will improve it.
wasnt there a statement at all that they just added "the police system" last minute before launch? i hope they will greatly improve it... not expecting a system like in mafia, gta or watchdogs - but at least a lil bit regarding the spawn, behaviour and balancing... tho i think its not really on their prio list for now... because it also would need rework of pedestrians too to make it a good system in the end - and a complete rework on ai (in general) wont happen over night or any time soonish : /

[...]

wasnt there a statement at all that they just added "the police system" last minute before launch? i hope they will greatly improve it... not expecting a system like in mafia, gta or watchdogs - but at least a lil bit regarding the spawn, behaviour and balancing... tho i think its not really on their prio list for now... because it also would need rework of pedestrians too to make it a good system in the end - and a complete rework on ai (in general) wont happen over night or any time soonish : /
If they wanted to make police make sense in the game, they would actually have to put some effort into it. Like I said before, the current system is laughably bare bones. Same with the crowds mechanics. So many other games made more believable crowds than Cyberpunk. And again, it's not about the limitation of the engine. I bet my hat and boots that the engine can take it and easily at that. The problem is, over those 5 years of real development they probably wasted a year and a half rebuilding the game multiple times, working on things that in the end got scrapped with the idea in mind that "crowds and police are easy, we'll leave it for the last". And now we ended with what we have now.

Last edited by a moderator:
NCPD wasn't fixed at all;
all the issues with is are still there;

they put a bandaid on a broken leg

[...]

If they wanted to make police make sense in the game, they would actually have to put some effort into it. Like I said before, the current system is laughably bare bones. Same with the crowds mechanics. So many other games made more believable crowds than Cyberpunk. And again, it's not about the limitation of the engine. I bet my hat and boots that the engine can take it and easily at that. The problem is, over those 5 years of real development they probably wasted a year and a half rebuilding the game multiple times, working on things that in the end got scrapped with the idea in mind that "crowds and police are easy, we'll leave it for the last". And now we ended with what we have now.
yeah absolute +1

imo everything aside mainstory is just unfinished cause of the rushed launch - they should really put afford into ai & physics no doubt - but i dont think they gonna work on it while they still try to fix all the other bugs and issues first...

We were promised many things when it comes to this game. And then many of those things got removed from the final product. You would think that everything that they kept in the final product would be the things that work and are really well polished. Or that those elements just need some additional tweaks here and there. But having completely disfunctional elements like the police?

Honestly, it goes around in circles... we all know and agree what the police is not good at all...
If it bothers you that much, stop the game until the update fixes it. Because I'm sure there will be one for (impossible that CDPR leaves it as it is) ;)

I mean that I'm still in Watson, I spoke to Jackie in front of Megabuilding 10, got my Kiroshi and spoke to Dexter. Then I did all the gigs available in Watson and never progressed any further. :D
By exploring the city I mean going to places and seeing how the city works. Looking at people, looking at traffic. Sometimes shooting a person by accident while fighting crime activities. I'm not the kind of player that would wreck havok throughout the city just to see what happens. And I have big issues with how the city works when undisturbed. Because it doesn't. When you're busy doing quests it's not that much of a problem. But when you're just taking your time and waiting for patches it becomes obvious that this game can't be played as time sink.

if you want to experience the open world, you need to get to chapter 2. The heist is essentially the starter town, not really a strong example of the open world aspect of the game. The game has a lot of content and things to see/experience outside of the Main story. Looking at people and the environments, often has its own stories. Reading and understanding all the emails from gigs often tells the stories of each area, As well as the shards and some of what else is going on in the city. You can drive around listening to tunes observing for hours. Different clubs have different tunes, different convo's npcs have with each other.

The open world is actually very full of backstory and lore, and sometimes weird unexpected stuff. This game does not slack on that in the least.

Like it or not the police are designed to be a simple punishment/complication for killing civilians without reason. You'd have to be pretty OP to defeat the police. But really the point is If you piss off the police, you are probably dead. Luckily its pretty hard to piss them off, and easy to escape. Cyberpunk in the TT and the videogame, getting in a direct confrontation with the police is probably going to be the end of your game. TT of course has more wiggle room, but in tabletop your character can die forever.

Making the type of ncpd you are talking about would require a totally different game designed around it. They'd need persistent npcs, when consoles already can't handle non persistent assets. They'd need to remove most of the traffic. Spend significant resources on pathfinding, in a multilevel vertical city. Its possible but extremely resource heavy, and would probably require different design decisions. Which is simply not worth it for what the game is trying to be. If that amount of dev time and design consideration was spent on police instead of new quests, or npc interactions, or story most people would be annoyed.

I mean that I'm still in Watson, I spoke to Jackie in front of Megabuilding 10, got my Kiroshi and spoke to Dexter. Then I did all the gigs available in Watson and never progressed any further. :D
By exploring the city I mean going to places and seeing how the city works. Looking at people, looking at traffic. Sometimes shooting a person by accident while fighting crime activities. I'm not the kind of player that would wreck havok throughout the city just to see what happens. And I have big issues with how the city works when undisturbed. Because it doesn't. When you're busy doing quests it's not that much of a problem. But when you're just taking your time and waiting for patches it becomes obvious that this game can't be played as time sink.
I get the feeling that the city isn't ready for that level of scrutiny. Some things like the NCPD and the distant vehicles and the gang violence/ reported crime are there to give the illusion of a functioning and dangerous environment whilst you go about paying the game's story. There are scenes and events that you can stumble across which have been scripted and explore the lore or give a feel for the city but they're not intended to be spontaneous, a bit like the burning at the stake in TW3.

In my playthroughs so far I've had two encounters with the NCPD. First one pre 1.2 I ran over some one, thought oh no and ran away, I was relieved to get not be chased because it was an accident. The second I shot a citizen post 1.2 to see what the new drones did.

I would recommend playing through the game a bit further before you judge it too much. In my opinion the city and the ncpd etc are the setting and the background props. A bit like a film set, if you look too close you'll realise its made of sticky back plastic and expanding foam, but the overall effect is a blockbuster.

It's a catch 22 situation with me: I wanted to play the story, but the story was bugged out of this world, so I decided to just walk around the city and wait for CD Projekt to patch the game first. I don't want to have my first impression ruined by quest that doesn't work or me being careful to not bug it out by accident. CD Projekt is taking their sweet time for last 5 months so I'm taking mine. :D My irritation with the Police comes from the same place as my irritation with everything else: the game mechanics are paper thin. I was told by CD Projekt that they are making the most believable city experience to date. I hate this "all you see is subject to change" because I took it as "the way the quest goes might change, the way the menu and HUD might change, we might change the level design a bit", not "actually we don't have 40% of things that we were talking about in promotional materials", or "well, we never said that we WILL have that in the game".

It's a catch 22 situation with me: I wanted to play the story, but the story was bugged out of this world, so I decided to just walk around the city and wait for CD Projekt to patch the game first. I don't want to have my first impression ruined by quest that doesn't work or me being careful to not bug it out by accident. CD Projekt is taking their sweet time for last 5 months so I'm taking mine. :D My irritation with the Police comes from the same place as my irritation with everything else: the game mechanics are paper thin. I was told by CD Projekt that they are making the most believable city experience to date. I hate this "all you see is subject to change" because I took it as "the way the quest goes might change, the way the menu and HUD might change, we might change the level design a bit", not "actually we don't have 40% of things that we were talking about in promotional materials", or "well, we never said that we WILL have that in the game".

to be honest, at this point I don't think things will drastically change aside from bugs. Are you saying you have a progress stopping bug before the heist? Or are you worried about a bug?

Off topic but I felt a similar dilemma on ps4 to start with, got fed up with crashes. In the last month I've been playing it and the game works. My gripes are mainly graphical but that's because of my console's limitations. My PS5 is still in a factory somewhere alongside the next gen update and I really wanted to play the game now. My son played on PC at launch and had no real issues or crashes but he has 48gb of ram so his experience is probably atypical.

How to put it... I like when games don't remind me with graphical glitches that laws of physics or logic don't naturally occur in them. For example I'm not particularly fond of NPCs bringing up their phones and leaving them behind, levitating, as they're walking away, talking to their empty hands. Or when they're walking by and all of a sudden peform a "sitting on a stool" animation in the middle of the sidewalk, just to teleport 5 feet to the side where the actual stool is. Or when I'm talking to an NPC and all of a sudden a car drives by, right through a solid concrete roadblock, leaving pieces of car body parts behind, accompanied by loud explosions. It kind of breakes the illusion of being in an actual virtual place, you know? The police situation falls under that illusion breaking category of mine.

I don't want a simulation. I want an illusion. I want to be able to expect a certain degree of... I don't want to say "realism", because a person or a car spontaneously appearing or disappearing right before my eyes shouldn't be something that is too much to ask.

Yes, Mafia is a better game to compare Cyberpunk to, but still, the question remains: does REDengine even lends itself to simulating car chases? Is there a roadblock (no pun intended) that prevents AI cars from performing more advanced tasks?
- when you leave your vehicle on the street, they don't know how to bypass you
- during races (Claire's questchain) your opponents don't race you, but keep teleporting behind you

As for excuses, the game doesn't push you toward engaging with its primitive police system and there's 50-120 hours of handcrafted content to enjoy. It's simply not equally important for everyone who plays this game. Yeah, it was done in other open-world games, but none of this other games had to adjust their engines to be suitable for RPG systems.

There is the rub though isn't it. If the REDengine cannot handle such things, then management should have made a decision about using the engine at all, or even making a game that would naturally include cops.

If it can handle chases and the like, then why isn't it in the game already? Lack of time maybe, or not being able to program it? Either way, it all goes back to the management again.

I feel that CP77 (and the devs) shot for the stars but management forgot how to fly.

There is the rub though isn't it. If the REDengine cannot handle such things, then management should have made a decision about using the engine at all, or even making a game that would naturally include cops.

If it can handle chases and the like, then why isn't it in the game already? Lack of time maybe, or not being able to program it? Either way, it all goes back to the management again.

I feel that CP77 (and the devs) shot for the stars but management forgot how to fly.
Well, writing software is all about estimating what you think can be done with the time & other resources you have. It's not like building a house where you can say "we built 10 identical houses already to this design, it cost us X and took us Y time, so we think we can do another one with the same resources".

Nobody (outside of school) writes a piece of software that's already been written before.

Almost certainly the devs said that they could do those things which were promised as features. It's pretty normal to find out late-on in a software project that some of the things you wanted couldn't be done.

Where it comes to using the Red engine or not, that's already a given. It's CDPR, they're going to use the Red engine, it's probably their biggest asset. Now they know where the engine needs improvements to handle this sort of game, but really they would have found those things out too late to fix them for this release.

some times its a choice between one thing or the other. Or you have more limitations than you initially hoped. could be that car chases and persistence weren't the most important factor in what they wanted for the game.

Well, writing software is all about estimating what you think can be done with the time & other resources you have. It's not like building a house where you can say "we built 10 identical houses already to this design, it cost us X and took us Y time, so we think we can do another one with the same resources".

Nobody (outside of school) writes a piece of software that's already been written before.

Almost certainly the devs said that they could do those things which were promised as features. It's pretty normal to find out late-on in a software project that some of the things you wanted couldn't be done.

Where it comes to using the Red engine or not, that's already a given. It's CDPR, they're going to use the Red engine, it's probably their biggest asset. Now they know where the engine needs improvements to handle this sort of game, but really they would have found those things out too late to fix them for this release.

Well looking at the Cyberpunk lore, I would have thought they would have factored cases and decent cop interactions into the story. MAXTAC for example, we see them right at the start of the game, and they turn up in their flying vehicle, its awesome.

Also, not being funny, but there are decade old games out there that can do decent cop chases, I don't buy that CDPR cant do something similar.

Well looking at the Cyberpunk lore, I would have thought they would have factored cases and decent cop interactions into the story. MAXTAC for example, we see them right at the start of the game, and they turn up in their flying vehicle, its awesome.

Also, not being funny, but there are decade old games out there that can do decent cop chases, I don't buy that CDPR cant do something similar.

what game, that wasn't designed around car chases has them?

The NCPD and maxtac should arrive in vehicles period, just like the opening scene with Jackie. None of this lame teleporting stuff. program the AI to pursue, and arrive in vehicles and for a longer distance.
Yeah I don't know if anyone noticed but the cars in the races also teleport. It kind of kills the purpose altogether

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom