Nilfgaardian Deck Strategies

+
NGBloodgeist;n9494641 said:
Its a love hate with Letho at the moment. It's great to be able to banish cards you know the opponent will need or try to fish back out. It's also a nice small bonus since he will give your brigade points or enforcers to deal damage. Of course downfall is sometimes it just feels like such a waste of a gold slot. Can't use him defensively anymore and just a plain 9 gold.
He doesn't even banish anymore... So sad. I do love the combo now, but it's still meh so I don't even bother crafting him.

NGBloodgeist;n9494641 said:
I've been trying myself to make an assassin/weather deck. At the moment it's just taking to much to setup or runs out of steam. Going to try over the weekend and do some more testing.
I did try stammelgaard. So much lol. Bad deck though, even pre-nerf.

I think weather NG just needs stuff like Knight Elect that gives long-term value. Atm it's best with Nilfgaardian Standard Bearer. Stealing stuff from gy didn't work nicely for me. Alba Spearmen sucks in the deck. But the deck does make each match incredibly longer.

overcold_ice;n9499561 said:
He doesn't even banish anymore... So sad. I do love the combo now, but it's still meh so I don't even bother crafting him.

I did try stammelgaard. So much lol. Bad deck though, even pre-nerf.

I think weather NG just needs stuff like Knight Elect that gives long-term value. Atm it's best with Nilfgaardian Standard Bearer. Stealing stuff from gy didn't work nicely for me. Alba Spearmen sucks in the deck. But the deck does make each match incredibly longer.

I ended up making a hybrid deck of weather/spies and assassins last night. Took it into rank and managed to go about 7-1. Granted I am only rank 10 at the moment from the lack of time.

It was a lot of fun playing. I believe it was taking some players by surprise. More so when going up against monster decks. I'm going to try and get some more in and see how far I can push it.

Is Xarthisius supposed to shuffle the rest of the deck? It seems to work that way for me though... The card text doesn't state that. Or is it just me that look at the given card-list wrongly or inverted? But I'm pretty sure I've tried both ways and heavy cavalry showed different order of stuffs.

Nilfguard spy deck is one of the most fun decks to play with but one of the hardest too. One wrong move and all the synergy of the decks is gone. If you master this deck you can go far with it else you will lose badly.

Milfguard is one of the most boring and annoying decks to play against.

Reveal is meh this patch and i only encountered it once or twice this patch.

Hey I'm going to be getting my final gold for nilfgaard reveal and was wondering who I should pick. So far I have vattier, vilgefortz, and Leo barnhart. Right now the three I'm looking at are Stefan, Xarthisius, and tibor. Leaning toward Stefan, but if you guys have another suggestion from that list or not in that list let me know. I feel like cahir is week(have him) because I already have enough reveal. Thanks in advance!

DRK3

Forum veteran
I know this thread is more to discuss strategies and less for rants, but man, screw that new bronze unit that can turn ANY unit a spy. Combo'ed with Menno Coehoorn, which can destroy ANY spy, you can basically eliminate any unit you want on the field with no possible counter.

Im not complaining about Menno's power - he is Gold, he's supposed to be powerful. What is dumb is how the bronze unit can turn even Gold units into spies - as if 9 base value + the damage and buffs he provides making a new spy appear wasnt enough...

There is a possible counter. Lock the unit he just turned into a spy, that removes the spy flag and then he can't destroy it with Menno.

I just got started on Gwent (outside TW3) and just wanted to let the world know how much I enjoy the card Falsche Ciri. (Whatever she's called in english.) Not sure, if it belongs here, but noobs can't start new topics (I think), so here You go. Apparently the ability to fight cards on Your own side of the deck is not standard, so she can grow in strength rather unchallenged. And if the opponent fails to notice that he looses a lot of points at the moment when he can't do anything about it anymore, it's really fun. Are there any certain cards and tactics to further improve this useful card?

gwladwr She's a spy, so any card that synergizes with spies like Impera Brigade and Enforcers, or Rainfarn. There are easy ways to counter Fake Ciri tho, you can lock her for instance, or consume her with another card, and since Dorregaray (see the Ekimmara spawn) is sooo popular nowadays, Fake Ciri is a bit risky. Still it's indeed an interesting and fun mechanic.

I've been using a reveal deck, but not really reveal as much as a siege deck.
The goal is to sap the enemy forces with constant barrage of fire, preventing most of the combos and deals pretty insane damage when the opponent doesn't kill our mangonels.
Nilfgaard, assemble!
THe Leader is Voohris, because his ability creates so much blow outs it's insane.

the four gold cards are actually bad placeholders. Yes, I don't rely on my gold cards because I don't have the good ones, and yet the deck is performing goood.

Geralt, Triss, Regis : Higher Vampire and Royal Decree. I use those instead of others because at least, if things go wrong, they're still reliable plays. Triss can even help whittling down a combo unit quickly if need be

Silver :

Cantarella. Nuff said I think, we all know how powerfull she is. You start the match? Play her, if opponent passes, just play a bigger card and get a round and get the upper hand in pressure. Or if he plays another card, just pass and you reversed the card disadvantage highly in your favor. Not to mention it's additional points to damage for your siege units in case of lack of targets in a longer round. And yes, that can happen.

The Guardian. This card feels like a troll, you just get a 11 power card that destroys our opponents draw or swap. The 11 power is sneaky, because it grants much more advantage than that, it messes the opponents plans too. Best case is when they have to keep it. You just made your opponent have a 6 power card. (does it seem pretty bad? that's because it is)

Myrgtabrakke. Just a good plain old 13 points swing that can get rid of combos, and it's flexible. A good filler that follows the mindset of sapping our opponent's forces.

Joachim de Wett. A great spy that can get the missing piece if you're lucky, but overall just gives a good bit of points swing, while giving body to damage from our side, and yes again, we'll often need some. Great one

Vrygheff. This one is essential, just tutor your last mangonel with him. He's free value and the 4th mangonel of your deck you can draw. Obviously, swap one if your have the 4 in your hand.

and the best one : Henry Var Attre. This guy is a killer. Just reveal your cards and opponents, conceal and get insane value when you reveal again. You'll see why it's so good after that.

Bronzes : I always say it's the most common cards in your deck that makes it's strength(except when you play Ciri : Nova, you should feel bad) and that's why a good synergy is vital for consistency.

3 Nilfgaardian Knights. Because 12 power card that gives free value from reveals and has some armor is always a great topdeck or "waiting" plays if the opponent is lacking high board presence to damage.

1 Master of disguise. Maybe having one more would be interesting, but I'm a poor guy so I don't have one. THis guy is insane value too, a smaller Var Attre in a way. Still a great topdeck too, 11 points whatever the situation. His conceal abilitty is great at re-enabling your broken cards.

3 alchemists, because you always want more reveal cards. they are so great.

1 Nauzicaa Sergeant because you might need some hazard cleaning, even if I spent most of my early fights just crushing through the hazards thanks to the never ending fire barrage of my siege units.

1 daerlan soldier. I just removed the imperial golems recently because they annoyed me, and got a few scraps to build new cards, so this one might be a better pick for the strategy. Haven't tested it.

and now, the juicy part, the siege units that destroys the enemy. and the whole namesake of the strategy.

3 mangonel. this card is bonkers. if your opponent doesn't understand quickly he should get rid of it(or can't) he's going to have a bad time(who wouldn't against siege units fire barrage?). It easily deals 12+ in the bad days(except when it's instantly killed off, but it doesn't happen that often it seems). Imagine when you get 2 or even the 3 on the board when you play Voohris. and then conceal, and reveal again. Yeah, it's that annoying. The opponent is usually going to have very few surviving units in rounds. And forget about resilient units since they just get killed off easily.

now that I showed you the good unit to have on board when you reveal, I have to tell you the insane card to reveal for the meat of the spectacle :

3 fire scorpions(yes, the whole power of the deck is from 3 different common bronze cards, and it's devastatingly good). When you reveal or play it, you deal 5 damage. and that's it. This card will AT LEAST deal 10 from reveal and playing it. a 15 points swing from a bronze card, that can deal even more if you conceal/reveal again. It's like a triss on a stick, but better. and it's always nice to conceal them with var attre for additional value. The best part? it's not a random target, you choose, and that means you can finish off any combo piece, line of units for commander's horn or just resilient units. The flexibility is insane, and it's why your opponent is going to curse you.

All in all, the deck is quite consistent since you rely on your bronze units and there's a good redundancy of the abilities for your precious siege units to destroy the opponent's army.
The funnier part is that you won't get much high power units so scorch or geralt : igni are a lot worse against you. And poor Triss : Butterfly cries in her sleep when she remembers the fire scorpions.
Army decks are wrecked by this as it easily kills most of the weaker units quickly and prevents mass pumps to be effective.

the very common scenario of 2 mangonels in play(or three, even better), play voohris, reveal all your fire scorpions, reveal some of their cards too if leftovers in the reveal possibility, deal insane damage to annihilate the opponent's army, then follow up with var attre to conceal all the units, and just play alchemists, rinse and repat until you win.

It's like a hazards deck, but more efficient and quicker. and with bigger power too. Well, it just feels better in all ways.

It may not be a tier 1 deck, but losing is not often with this deck. (I just had a streak of 3 monster hazards decks where I just facetanked the hazards while doing a siege fire barrage) and it feels great to play. Any thoughts on it?

I'm relatively new to the game and want to start with the Nilfgaard faction. What is key in this faction when you are a starter? And what are the best cards to build in the beginning? I've read the thread but most of it is a year old so I'm not sure if it still applies.

Thanks in advance.

@FDC-Crumble

As you may know, Homecoming is coming this year, which does a complete 180 on how the game works now. As such, you should not worry too much about learning the game at this stage and, instead, just grind some kegs for when Homecoming hits. For this, I recommend a strong but easy-to-play deck. While NG is strong, I don't think it's easy for new comers. Probably the easiest deck to play is a Skellige Veteran and Bearmaster deck. If you are interested, I could find a deck guide.

@FDC-Crumble

As you may know, Homecoming is coming this year, which does a complete 180 on how the game works now. As such, you should not worry too much about learning the game at this stage and, instead, just grind some kegs for when Homecoming hits. For this, I recommend a strong but easy-to-play deck. While NG is strong, I don't think it's easy for new comers. Probably the easiest deck to play is a Skellige Veteran and Bearmaster deck. If you are interested, I could find a deck guide.

With "I don't think it is easy for new comers" do you mean new comers to Gwent or new comers to TCG? Because I've played my share of Magic and therefore I'm familiar with card combo's and such. But if you meant new to Gwent, than yes please :) I would like a deck guide for beginners.

I'm not aware of Homecoming so I will read into that first :) Thanks again!!

Can u guys pls rate my deck? What should i change? Ty
2018-08-07_23-12-12.png

Doesn't this deck need more 'monster' cards(I don't know the right name).

You have 12 special cards. Isn't that too much?? Maybe I'm wrong, I'm also just a newbie. But with Magic I always had a ratio of max 35% special cards and the rest are monstercards (again; please help me with the right name). But this was only with special decks who rely on special cards. Normally I would have a 25-30% special card and 70-75% monstercard ratio.

But please correct me if I'm wrong and this can be usefull in Gwent.

Last edited:
Doesn't this deck need more 'monster' cards(I don't know the right name).

Don't call them Monster cards because Gwent has a faction called Monsters, which makes it confusing. Instead, just call them units. And no, Alchemy decks draw their power from Viper Witchers which do one more damage for each Alchemy card in the deck. Hence the weird unit ratio.

Don't called them Monster cards because Gwent has a faction called Monsters, which makes it confusing. Instead, just call them units. And no, Alchemy decks draw their power from Viper Witchers which do one more damage for each Alchemy card in the deck. Hence the weird unit ratio.

Thanks, I will use "units".

I really need to learn all the cards... although they will change with HC.

Top Bottom