No balancing or new cards for another month?

+
No balancing or new cards for another month?

Is that really whats happening right now? I have to assume other players are thinking the same thing but just aren't making threads/posts about it. I know how to have patience but I still find this disappointing. I feel like the hype for the game is very very low right now. Streamers are making much less videos, devs aren't giving much information, this meta is exactly the same as last time because of no changes. I'm probably just going to take a bit of a break. Just wanted to put this thread out there since I don't think anyone else has yet.

I was actually going to make a post about this too lol. You took the words right out of my head, I feel the same way. Game's gotten so stale for people who have been playing for a while. I was really expecting some balance changes. Arena is fun and all but I think we need re-balancing.

There has been a statement on Twitter from Burza:
I am aware that the majority was expecting a balance patch this season, please bear with us and expect an announcement coming next week, where will update you on the roadmap for GWENT: The Witcher Card Game.

But here on the forum we get basically zero information.

I guess the question should be
- at the time of release of arena a month ago, the devs stated that the cards introduced finalise the core set
- are you happy with the game as is? Do you feel the core set is complete enough for a final version of the open beta?
- rather than a simple yes/no, please be constructive re: what you'd like to see that isn't already there

hydra66;n10743931 said:
I guess the question should be
- at the time of release of arena a month ago, the devs stated that the cards introduced finalise the core set
- are you happy with the game as is? Do you feel the core set is complete enough for a final version of the open beta?
- rather than a simple yes/no, please be constructive re: what you'd like to see that isn't already there

Are you responding to me because I'm a little confused. What do you mean they finalized the core set? Can you link me to a quote or something?

It was already announced no balance patch would be released in the near future.
So I'm not really disappointed right now but my patience is running out.
For me the game isn't fun anymore so I won't play it as much as I normally do.
Yesterday I played 10 ranked games with my favourite reveal deck, 9 matches were blue coin and half of them were against alchemy.
In nearly all the games my first 3-4 cards were removed resulting in a early pass or I got caught up and ended with 1-3 card disadvantage in r3.
Nowadays it seems like engine decks only work with deathwiss and resurrect.
If the game stays like this I will stop because it's by far not as much fun when I first played Gwent.
Point bashing, swarming & removal have become the standard while in the past engines had a higher priority.
Removal cards did less damage, there were fewer options and the game had more variety.

hydra66;n10743931 said:

Nope, haven't played a ranked game the last couple of seasons, because I think post-midwinter gwent just isn't enjoyable.
Things I think hurt the game:
- meaningless rows
- lack of interesting card designs
- lack of ongoing effects/ too much happens deploy
- too many boring/bad designed cards like beastmaster
- too many useless and boring cards
- at the same time many archetypes look unfinished
- gameplay needs to be more synergistic (tutor combos are not the kind of synergy, which makes me enjoy the game)
- not many unique strategies, different decks feel too much like the same
(I think completely removing gold immunity is partly to blame for some of these problems)
- different factions doesn't feel unique enough
- too much cheap removal
- create
- no coinflip fix so far
less important:
- personally I'd like to see more positioning related effects
(something completely new like that would be nice https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...ed-positioning
it's just a basic design idea, probably still a lot room for improvement)

I hope their faction identity project improves some of these aspects.

At the start this game was very promising. In the current state we have 3rd month with same toxic meta.
Where is new bronze core cards? We cant create any new archetype with just 10 golds in 3 month. What we have is just ~10 bronzes in each factiion and many of them are just genious 7 deal 4 cards
Where is Rethaz? Where is Thronebreaker? Where is balance patch? Where is Vampires? Why do you talk about coin every time and dont fix this problem for >year?

So many questions, and all we get is just community manager Pawel Burza with "this week in Gwent" blog or "look at this RNG moment in February"
Please CDPR, bring more love to Gwent

"Hey all, CDPR here! We're sorry for all the thousands of players who are tired of a broken, stale, RNG fest meta...and we're sorry for all the streamers who have stopped playing and streaming in ranked (and those who've literally just stopped playing altogether) but we have 8 people playing Challenger to think about here, so you're all going to have to wait another month to see if Gwent even has a future anymore. Cheers, ta!"

I'm honestly a bit pissed, as some archetypes (Elf Swarm and Machine swarm mainly) need some serious nerfing and the same decks three months in a row aren't the best thing you can get

twinkiegorilla;n10745201 said:
"Hey all, CDPR here! We're sorry for all the thousands of players who are tired of a broken, stale, RNG fest meta...and we're sorry for all the streamers who have stopped playing and streaming in ranked (and those who've literally just stopped playing altogether) but we have 8 people playing Challenger to think about here, so you're all going to have to wait another month to see if Gwent even has a future anymore. Cheers, ta!"

Took the words right from my head. We haven't seen a serious balance patch in a while,and we'll have to wait another month (if we're lucky, only one more, but, who knows...) of a crap stale and ubalanced meta because of eight persons in a championship. So nice from CDPR.

I played two arena matches today and that was enough Gwent for me. Even after having not played for a few days.

And honestly... It feels like the developers have the same approach to patching the game.

While stale, I do disagree on the balancing. The top decks are nowhere near as dominant as Dwarves used to be for example. In fact I am pretty sure this balance hasn't been seen since pre-midwinter. Greatswords are even beatable with Reveal and depending on your opponent's slave driver usage and luck, even Alchemy can lose to reveal. Axemen are back and their winrate goes to show how dominant they are, even if they are most likely the hardest deck in the game to play efficiently with.

Now the game is just so much more binary though. Copious amounts of Removal countered by copious amounts of Revivals and the 2 sides just playing the "remove - revive - remove - revive" game until either side can't do this anymore. Wardancers preventing you from drypassing on the blue coin, making you Cleaver bait effectively are a problem as well, while Henselt on principle is fine, but that principle is abused by Winch.

The only deck fitting this meta completely is Alchemy. But I'll argue this is not the meta we want. As such, in a more engine centric format, even that will have to be changed. Assuming the rest do as well of course.

Gwent has reached this point in its evolution where you just can't change one thing and leave everything else untouched. Back in the closed beta, when there were only 2 archetypes for each faction, maybe you could. But not now

Camaban;n10745621 said:
Took the words right from my head. We haven't seen a serious balance patch in a while,and we'll have to wait another month (if we're lucky, only one more, but, who knows...) of a crap stale and ubalanced meta because of eight persons in a championship. So nice from CDPR.

All 5 factions have strong decks with 50% winrate or above (monsters are a bit weak perhaps), so you can't call this meta unbalanced. You can't call is stale either since in a month it shifted from "screw it, I'll netdeck Brouver too" to a healthy balance of factions across all MMR ranks. I feel like this meta is better than the one before the midwinter patch.

Moreover, I feel like Axemen are on the rise, and there are some interesting decks like alchemy with Ciri:Nova which are doing quite good.

That said, I am also saddened by the fact there's no balance update. But you know, there's a certain CCG that has an update once per 4 months and almost no other changes outside of that (except of nerfing some cards into the ground). Despite it, it's very popular.

So let's give CDPR time and hope they can do a proper balancing instead of some rash changes.

Last edited:
I think we should wait for the roadmap.
Maybe there aren't any new cards, because they want to release the "Faction Identity" project as a whole, not half-finished.
Maybe there are no balance patch, because these faction challenges deliberately encourages netdecking, so they can analyse which cards are the most problematic. (at least i hope so, maybe I'm overthinking it).

Yes Wardancers, Viper Witchers and Dun Banner Cavalry are annoying, but there are no decks that are unbeatable.
//The Greatswords deck is easily beatable, just artifact compress the one they pull with Crach, Muzzle the 2nd one (nowadays almost no one plays Draig Bon-Dhu since he can't steal silvers that Sigrdrifa can resurrect), Mandrake the third... bam they are done. (or play some movement cards that disrupt their strategy)

If everybody starts playing anti-meta decks, they will eventually fade away (like 2 seasons ago 80% of the decks I played against were Scoia'teal Mulligan decks, and in the last season only 20%, probably because people realized or read upon how to win against them)

Of course the problem with decks that target specific type of decks, that it may not be useful against the other type of decks.

Top Bottom