!!! NORTHERN REALMS deck BROKEN !!!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dimeritium only works on non-gold units so you need to time it just before he promotes or it's useless.

it's called "Dimeritium Bomb"

This card is broken, it doesnt reset to base/original strength but to buffed one. there is a huge mess in descriptions and mechanics so we dont know what is bugged and what just have wrong/unclear descriptions. I play only Skellige and I use 1/3 of cards and Ive already spotted and reported like a dozen of bugs.

About saying it is obvious and easy to counter, just dont pass in 1st round. It makes half of Skellige deck atributes useless. If you dont have hand full of weather cards or draw cards to take weather cards you can just surrender. No point in hoping in getting good cards in work around it. This NR combo takes 1/3 gameplay off.

Last edited:
This card is broken, it doesnt reset to base/original strength but to buffed one. there is a huge mess in descriptions and mechanics so we dont know what is bugged and what just have wrong/unclear descriptions. I play only Skellige and I use 1/3 of cards and Ive already spotted and reported like a dozen of bugs.

About saying it is obvious and easy to counter, just dont pass in 1st round. It makes half of Skellige deck atributes useless. If you dont have hand full of weather cards or draw cards to take weather cards you can just surrender. No point in hoping in getting good cards in work around it. This NR combo takes 1/3 gameplay off.

There's nothing wrong with Dimeritium Bomb. It does exactly what it says in the description of the card.

Since you only play Skellige, I believe you are having a hard time understanding what the Clan Tordarroch Shieldsmith's ability does.

The Shieldsmith doesn't give a card a temporary buff, like all other buffs in the game, it gives a card a PERMANENT buff, by altering the card's ORIGINAL VALUE (or strength). For example, that's why, when you buff a Light Longship (7) its strength goes to 11, but the number doesn't turn green, it stays white.

I encountered this deck once. Oh boy did it make me quit for the day. Round 1 was basically given to me. At round 2, I passed when I thought I had a lead with cards and score. Then he kept using cards after he surpassed my score. I thought he was brand new, but I was dead wrong. He used all of his cards and had huge gold creatures that persisted to the last round. It was like he was saying "what now ****? what u got?" Of course he didn't get a GG from me lol.

Any time someone whoops me that completely I give a GG, it's just like

:cheers3:

Read me like a book to set up that combo. Gotta respect that.

I played that deck for 3 hours and it's just not good.

Wrong card draw = lose (should be around 30% of your games)
Enemy is playing agressive or a weather deck = really hard to win
0% win chance against Philippa Eilhart (that card is maybe broken)

All in all you will sure have a win rate of under 50%. Still priceless to win with only "Poor Infantry" on the table.

I agree with most people here. NR can be countered. I admit I have my difficulties too, but I won a few matches against NR. You just have to watch out not to fall for the trap. Obviously it also depends on your card draw, but the main strat is to either win 1st round and force them to play their super-combo second round (enabling you to potentially win round 3) or to force them to actually play most of their cards 1st round. Or to scorch, or to weather, or to try to use your own strategy getting up there. I actually like the buffs of NR, since it allows you to easily set up your own cards with HUGE numbers (commanders horn, other buffs) while still not being scorch-able. Debuffs can also help defeat NR.

If anything I realizes a lot of the decks require completely different approaches.
NR you have to win the early round(s) and try to eliminate the "super-buff".
Skellige you have to win early too and reduce graveyard play as best as you can. (Try to win the game in 2 rounds. The longer the game, the stronger Skellige gets).
Scoia'teal requires a lot of debuffing as well as trying to eliminate the units that stay at the end of each round. Weather cards are useless against them (mostly), since they can choose rows.
Epidemic can be strong against monsters. As can torrential rain (if they have a lot of siege units, but that is depending on the deck...) and clear weather. Card wounding is also a big thing against monsters, as is scorch. Monsters are the extreme. They have many very weak muster cards and very strong single-unit cards, which makes them very vulnerable. Weather helps them a lot but also makes them weak against clearing weather. The key is to interrupt their muster chain and eliminate copies of the same cards so they can't mass-buff while debuffing you with weather.

Skellige you have to win early too and reduce graveyard play as best as you can. (Try to win the game in 2 rounds. The longer the game, the stronger Skellige gets).

Yes... but it usually only works if you have cards that are able to destroy or minimize other cards. Weather should be used not too soon. Plus it's good to have a weather card that affects two or all three rows (the NR issue can happen on any row - one row might not be enough). Switching the leader might be a useful alternative too (but that also costs many scraps...).

And in some situation it could make sense to use cards like adrenaline rush or maybe decoy (if available in the deck) during the first round. That keeps you longer in play without necessarily wasting important cards too early on and wait for the right time to scorch.

Northern realms needs a nerf:

-When a gold card comes into play, increase strength by 1 instead by 2.
-Reinforced trebuchet damage ability should only activate once.
-Reinforced siege tower should increase strength by 1 when a gold card comes into play instead of 2.
-Promote converts 1 card to gold, no other copies.
-Foltest should spawn a copy of a bronze card with its original strength value.
-Ordin should have a timer of 2 turns and activates once giving the row he's on +4 strength
-Shani should have 2 strength, OR resurrect a random card.

And there needs to be twice as many gold removal as there is gold creation cards, available for all factions.

I kinda wish this was a mechanic because of the OP nature of gold cards:
-When two of the same name gold cards come into play on the same side, they annihilate each other.

a wild scorch appeared.

This. There's a reason it's available to everyone and a Neutral card at that. No offence OP but learn the game abit more, everyone's had to deal with it since playing. Alzur's Thunder, Manticore Venom, Scorch, Weather - Even passing sometime's can halt their plans. Don't be afraid to throw the first round if you don't want to waste your cards.

Last couple of days i was winning consistently with my Northern Realms deck ( although i'd like to think it's stronger than most NR decks i see) but today i really struggled against some Skellige decks.

It wasn't anything i couldn't counter but they were really challenging matches, it's almost like the balance of the game is ongoing and most here are overreacting.

Well I just gave this tactic a shot, wasn't even an optimal thing but lulling people into a false sense of security and then they pass is a great way to set yourself up.
Pretty easy strategy. harder to beat when they give off no clues before the pass.

having four blue stripe commandos and dandelion can beat this in the second round. just as easy to do with scouts and having three trebuches is a good combo to to get you past second round, if they have a second adrenaline you're pretty much screwed.

CDPR has confirmed it is broken:
" 3. Don’t over invest during the first round!
You need to win two rounds to claim victory. If you play all your strongest cards during the first round, you’re basically handing your opponent the advantage in the rounds that follow. You don’t really want to do that, nor do you want to play more cards than you have to in order to secure a win after your opponent passes. Unless it’s the third round and you just want to rub it in."

While playing vs. NR you are forced to over invest in 1st round because of this broken combo.

I agree this can be frustrating but the only time I have been caught off guard with this is when I did my usual "let the opponent win the first round and use their best cards first" tactic. This made me think outside the box, as it were. (I've been watching Anatsu Kyoshitsu (Assassin Classroom) anime recently and it has made me think to expect the unconventional and to use their strengths against my opponents)

mind you...

that and a bottle of wine and I'm a little more forgiving of my defeats XD

makor86;n6934530 said:
CDPR has confirmed it is broken:
" 3. Don’t over invest during the first round!
ok then, here is a new one:
4. Don't follow blindly the official protips.

Just think about your potential opponents while making your own deck. Isn't that actually the point of constructing?
Scorch, Igni, Weather, Phil', Dimeritium, Borkh, even simple removal. Learn to use them, they have a lot of utility not just against NR's pimitive buff-adrenaline-clone-promote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom