Open world games are a mistake!

+
I don't think open world games are a mistake. Could CP have been great without it, sure. There are plenty of good RPGs that aren't open world. That being said, while I personally think CP was an amazing and emotional experience to play...

Wait first some context, I avoided any news or info releases about this game like the plague tell after I had completed my first play through so I had no idea what had been promised, left out, so forth and so on....

I do feel the world is like a shot glass half full of something great in it but it's not enough. The glass should be full, running over even. The only real negative feeling I had at the end of my first play through is....I wish that I had had more time with Judy, time with this and that. I was left wanting for things that I think, in hindsight, should have always been there to begin with.

Knowing what I know now is hard to rationalize with what I experienced playing CP my first play through. I love it, the characters, the stories, the open world and more but I also understand now it was suppose to be so much more then it is. I hope it will get to be more then it is now. I also understand the disappointment and anger people feel. My ignorance allowed me to see CP in a different light so I don't have that anger and disappointment but I understand it. It is my hope the CDPR with finish filling the glass and let it run over. So this open world doesn't leave so many feeling that it is so empty.

Seems clear to me that the open world in this game was a mistake. It's visually impressive, but ultimately too ambitious and over-indulgent.

The most damning evidence is the NCPD missions, which are are hard-coded to locations pre-marked on the map. They're literally just filler content to disguise how empty the world is. Ditto for the gigs, 95% of which are no more complex than Bethseda-style radiant fetch quests.

Like so many things in this game, the open world and lack of loading screens seems to have been a marketing bullet point rather than an actually fleshed-out aspect of gameplay that contributes meaningfully to the experience. Huge empty swaths of map with nothing to do are ultimately no better than invisible walls or inaccessible distant LOD.

I simply refuse to accept 'fast travel'. Such a beautiful city does not deserve this.
I completely agree with that.
In fact, when Queen_Skadi talked about the vehicles being kinda just for vanity, I understood what she meant but I personally don't share that feeling because for me, fast travel simply don't exist when games has a beautiful world to explore (I've genuinely never used the fast travel a single time playing CP).

It's particularily true in CP because you can turn on the radio, listen to some music as you're getting from point A to point B.
The only thing the driving is missing is some sort of random event (like drivers randomly challenging you for a race as you're driving around, for example). That would be dope...In fact, it would make me like driving around just as much as playing the game (it's saying as little this game need to become a complete bomb). lol

Last edited:
It's probably a good thing there aren't any high speed chases. Driving in this game is somewhat akin to watching all those rodeo clowns trying to stuff themselves into a VW Beetle, then drive it around the ring.

Seems clear to me that the open world in this game was a mistake. It's visually impressive, but ultimately too ambitious and over-indulgent.

The most damning evidence is the NCPD missions, which are are hard-coded to locations pre-marked on the map. They're literally just filler content to disguise how empty the world is. Ditto for the gigs, 95% of which are no more complex than Bethseda-style radiant fetch quests.

Like so many things in this game, the open world and lack of loading screens seems to have been a marketing bullet point rather than an actually fleshed-out aspect of gameplay that contributes meaningfully to the experience. Huge empty swaths of map with nothing to do are ultimately no better than invisible walls or inaccessible distant LOD.
Bethesda side quests are generally better in contrast, current gigs are mainly just ubisoft early open world side activities. This game world is really unfortunately very early open world games from ubisoft : (
Post automatically merged:

At this point I wouldn't mind if they kept this version all as is and re released the game in 6~12 months from now, Square Enix FFXIV style. I would actually be happy if CDPR announced something like that (plans to re release the game completely revamped).

Last edited:
I don't think this is an open world game.
When you say the driving experience in the game is awful, fanboys say: It's an RPG
When you say you can't customize things, fanboys say: It's an RPG
When you say there are not enough interactions with the environment, fanboys say: It's an RPG
When you say choices don't influence the story as those in an RPG game, fanboys ask: Who are you and what's your education? Bravo CDPR, the brainwash master:)

I don't think this is an open world game.
When you say the driving experience in the game is awful, fanboys say: It's an RPG
When you say there is not enough interactions with the environment, fanboys say: It's an RPG
When you say choices don't influence the story as those in an RPG game, fanboys ask: Who are you and what's your education? Bravo CDPR, the brainwash master:)
Its an "RPG" when it's convenient, but it can also be "action adventure" (and NOT an RPG) when that fits better. Fanboys will do anything to defend their purchase it seems.

I’ll say it, feels like CDPR’s trying to catch lightning in a bottle like they did with the Witcher 3.

But it comes across currently like Bethesda with Fallout 4, and 2077’s Fallout 4 for CDPR.

Big and flashy, hollow and lifeless.

In terms of RPG elements Fallout4 kicks 2077's balls and swing those balls in its face. ;)

You’re right, but I mean it more as a comparison. Comparing Fallout 3, or even NV, even though that was Obsidian—to 4 is night and day.

Then you put the Witcher 3, which arguably has a ton of meaningful worldbuilding and only used the timeskip technique to explain what happened to Ciri in a flashback—whereas in 2077 it just straight up skips six months of what should have been content—us getting to know Jackie.

In every game industry, absolutely among all games, Open World does not really exist. Perhaps the closest thing to it today is a space-themed game, although it still has its (technological) limits: Elite Dangerous with its 4 billion solar systems. EVE Online tried this, but it is still subject to the 'empire' (CCP, semi-PVE content environment). Here I talk about decisions that change the environment.

Other than that, there is no 'open world'. Open maps, by themselves, are just open maps (and they are not so open, they come up against immense invisible walls and limits, where the interaction is almost null).

There are two things here, concept design (changing the world around) and technical limits (what we have today that can be processed). CP is not an open world, on the contrary, the game's conception did exactly the opposite, to close the world and tie it with chains to 'quests'. He did not dare at all, just repeated formulas that already exist.

CP, in terms of game design, is a resounding failure - in my view - because it fears to dare, it fears to go further and for purely financial reasons: to sell more and more content.

Nah this is just you changing the definition of what an Open World is. You have an Odd habit of being a contortionist when it comes to defending this game.

You’re right, but I mean it more as a comparison. Comparing Fallout 3, or even NV, even though that was Obsidian—to 4 is night and day.

Then you put the Witcher 3, which arguably has a ton of meaningful worldbuilding and only used the timeskip technique to explain what happened to Ciri in a flashback—whereas in 2077 it just straight up skips six months of what should have been content—us getting to know Jackie.

I didn't misunderstand you. I'm just saying that even though Bethesda screwed up the Fallout series from Fallout 4, it still did a better job about RPG than CDPR which was famous for fantastic RPGs. CDPR seems to be going down way faster.

I didn't misunderstand you. I'm just saying that even though Bethesda screwed up the Fallout series from Fallout 4, it still did a better job about RPG than CDPR which was famous for fantastic RPGs. CDPR seems to be going down way faster.

All things considered, this seems to be a 76 lite, in terms of the game’s delivery, and whether they bring it back to the way it was supposed to be, I don’t think I’ll ever see them the same way regardless.

It’ll just feel like they did it only because there was backlash, not because they wanted to.

All things considered, this seems to be a 76 lite, in terms of the game’s delivery, and whether they bring it back to the way it was supposed to be, I don’t think I’ll ever see them the same way regardless.

It’ll just feel like they did it only because there was backlash, not because they wanted to.

Exactly. It seems like those employees in CDPR are no longer those who love games and want to create a good game out of enthusiasm rather than external reward like cash. Not the same bunch of people any more, just new blood carrying the old company's name but not the spirit.

This fan boy thinks its awful to and needs to be improved. Vehicle handling is terrible.

This fanboy says you can to some degree but it could be done better and expanded a lot more.

When you say there are not enough interactions with the environment, fanboys say: It's an RPG

This fanboy agrees with this point.

When you say choices don't influence the story as those in an RPG game

So I suppose we need to recategorize all the many video game RPGs where "player choice" as you put it, means next to nothing and has no effect what so ever on how the story will play out or how it will end and at most only effects how long the road to the end will be since they can't be a video game RPGs unless player choices matter to how the story will unfold, right?

I love player choices effecting the narrative as much as the next gamer but it is not required for a game to be a RPG and also not exclusive to RPGs.

Yes CP could have done a better job with the RPG aspects of the game and I would have liked our choices to have had more of an impact then they did and maybe they still can. We can hope right?

fanboys ask: Who are you and what's your education?

This fanboy thinks your education is irrelevant to the validity of your opinions and no ones biz.

Also anyone who responds to your questions or comments the way you said in your post are not really fans. Real fans can see the mistakes that where made, accept them and can handle real genuine criticism and help work towards a better end. A game we can all love and be proud to have experienced together as true fans.

Bravo CDPR, the brainwash master

"Never trust a corpo." - Johnny Silverhand

This fan boy thinks its awful to and needs to be improved. Vehicle handling is terrible.

This fanboy says you can to some degree but it could be done better and expanded a lot more.

This fanboy agrees with this point.

So I suppose we need to recategorize all the many video game RPGs where "player choice" as you put it, means next to nothing and has no effect what so ever on how the story will play out or how it will end and at most only effects how long the road to the end will be since they can't be a video game RPGs unless player choices matter to how the story will unfold, right?

I love player choices effecting the narrative as much as the next gamer but it is not required for a game to be a RPG and also not exclusive to RPGs.

Yes CP could have done a better job with the RPG aspects of the game and I would have liked our choices to have had more of an impact then they did and maybe they still can. We can hope right?

This fanboy thinks your education is irrelevant to the validity of your opinions and no ones biz.

Also anyone who responds to your questions or comments the way you said in your post are not really fans. Real fans can see the mistakes that where made, accept them and can handle real genuine criticism and help work towards a better end. A game we can all love and be proud to have experienced together as true fans.

"Never trust a corpo." - Johnny Silverhand

We need more fanboys like you(y)

Top Bottom