Option/Toggle to hide objective markers/vendor icons/other symbols in the HUD

+
Leave it enabled ("On") by default, but please, for the love of the gods of immersive exploration in virtual open worlds, let us decide if we want to just follow the obnoxious pulsing thing like mindless sheep or figure out where to go and how to get there ourselves.

Let's look at an example:

Alright, the Telecom Tower it is.

Switching over to the map, and having a look where that Telecom Tower might be, relative to our current position.
Looks like it's not that far off to the south-west and we're already facing in the more or less right direction when we would leave the garage/workshop.
Just have to take a turn right, then left again and straight ahead.

Switching over to V in the car again, we appear to have deduced right. There it is.
Looks like a telecom tower indeed, and it's rather close to our position, so it must be the one.
Alright, let's go.

No, no, no... STOP, stop right there, clueless gamer who can't think for her-/himself.
You NEED hand-holding, even for this seemingly trivial navigational task, for you surely might get lost and die or something. Believe me, it's only for your best.
Here's a convenient pulsing yellow thing for you to follow, pay those vistas and environments no mind. And forget about that stupid map. Maps, cardinal directions and stuff is for nerds and losers.
Just FOLLOW the pulsing yellow thing, FOLLOW it and everything will be alright...

Last edited:
Was about to suggest that too.

And extra kudos for picking such a perfect example for exposing the utter pointlessness of objective markers in a well-crafted and -realized open world, such as Cyberpunk 2077's.
Truly baffling that this didn't ship with the option/toggle already included.

Just to once again quote Mr. Peter Molyneux here:

"Mini-maps [and by extension, objective markers] are shit. They're shit because you make these multimillion-dollar games, and people play them staring at these little dots."
Post automatically merged:

Interestingly enough someone claims to be able to deactivate the objective marker by pressing Z (video proof here) but I couldn't get it to work even when temporarily reverting back from my heavily modified to the standard key bindings.

If CDPR considers expanding the interface customisation with the proposed toggle for the objective marker (which I hope they do) - please don't forget to include the other noncritical/unnecessary icons (like the "gun" indicating a weapon vendor or the "knife" indicating a melee weapon vendor, for instance) in the HUD too.

Last edited:
Just signed up to give this another +1.

What use is an open world with distinctive buildings (like Arasaka HQ), or prominent landmarks (like the NorthOak Sign) and even named streets, if it all then can just be ignored in favour of following those stupid intrusive indicators or the paths on the minimap.
If I were an environment artist/designer over at CDPR I'd be pissed.

The minimap can already be disabled (thank god), so I too hope CDPR see the error in their ways and let us do the same with all the superfluous markers just cluttering up the screen.

Yes yes yes, one of my biggest annoyances with the game. I'm more bothered by this immersion breaking than I am with the bugs.

If I track an objective i'm fine with it showing a route on my map like in GTA, but the on screen markers are really a pain to my eyes!!!

+1 This.

We know someone at CDPR can knockout this option in a day. PLEASE. The game is being ruined by these markers..
An option to remove quest markers and all additional floating icons is a must. Absolute immersion killer.

+1 It is amazing how there is no options for these things in the game. Also need a way to hide the icons over enemies heads. And also an option to turn off auto correct camera when driving.

To be able to turn all stuff off it really just the bare bone standard basics of what should be available. In the best case scenario you should also be able to have the option to dynamically show the HUD when needed. For example instead of always hiding the mission objective text on screen so I need to pause the game and go into the journal to see my objective I would like the mission objective to show for a say 3 seconds when my mission is updated to let me know what to do next, but then hide it again.

It is quite baffling how a game can be so incredible well made and with such a huge scope, but these bare bone basic features are completely overlocked.

Last edited:
I'd like to bump this suggestion, and extend it to include the vendor/shop markers as well. I love exploring! And seeing all of the interactable stuff hundreds of meters before I even get there really ruins my excitement and sense of discovery.

For such an intricately designed world I find it a real shame that there are no real surprises left due to such an intrusive UI.

And lastly, this change should also extend to consoles as well of course. Please make it an disableable option under the UI settings and not just a toggleable button that consoles may not have access to.

I'd like to bump this suggestion, and extend it to include the vendor/shop markers as well. I love exploring! And seeing all of the interactable stuff hundreds of meters before I even get there really ruins my excitement and sense of discovery.

For such an intricately designed world I find it a real shame that there are no real surprises left due to such an intrusive UI.

And lastly, this change should also extend to consoles as well of course. Please make it an disableable option under the UI settings and not just a toggleable button that consoles may not have access to.

Yes these too.

That it is not standard in games yet to be able to hide all this stuff is a constant chock to me (even though more and more developers seem to get it with games like Red Dead Redemption 2 and Last of Us 2 etc that really understand the importance of immersive huds and how much that clutter ruins the game). The absolute worst element though is the eye detection meters above enemies heads. Do some players really not get bothered by these? It makes me want to pinch my arm to see if I am not dreaming. We are seriously living in 2020 with games that look almost as immersive and alive as real life and where we are supposed to be dragged into this and believe in these worlds and characters, and at the same time a there are ICONS that pops up over someones head that is slowly filling up as they are "detecting you"? That is supposed to be the next level gaming? At least hide that crap so we don't see how basic things are and we can at least believe in the world a bit more! (There is this kind of stuff in other games, but at least there is always an option to hide it) Instead it is right in your face. If it was a simple mobile game then sure I could get that. But here is this sprawling beautiful world that have been worked on for 7 years, but that does not really matter because all you really need to pay attention to are these icons? I just can't get my head around how someone made the decision to ship the game without at least a simple option to turn that off. It is unbelievable.

Last edited:
Voted.
Would be so much more immersive if you could turn all those off.
I'm perfectly fine with navigating the world just by map (the actual one, NOT the minimap) and orienting myself by actually taking note of street names and specific buildings, no problem at all.

Top Bottom