Our Community Fan Translations

+
Meh. I named the file incorrectly. I'll change that now so I don't repeat. See I *said* there'd be something I'd messed up ;)

Cassandra, this is a strange answer. So must I understand that a topic named "Our Community Fan Translations" must be understood as "Our Community English only Fan Translations" ? I feel a little sad reading this...

OK, I will go elsewhere, but I'm still wondering about the real meaning of the word "Community"... I must have badly translated it, for sure. :cry:

Why do you take this bad? If i had a complete Greek translation i wouldn't post it here. It is the english section of the forum, after all. And i didn't say anything bad to you. I said: "Open a topic". This is a good thing, isn't it?

But, by all means, i don't own this topic. You can always report your post to a moderator and ask his/her opinion. I 'm not sure i can dicide for this.

Dear all,

The CDPR forum exists only two languages : polish, for polish people, and english for the rest of the world. The present topic is located into "Witcher Series/Community" and is named "Community fan translations". I don't understand why you all consider that we are here into a kind of "english only restricted area" section of the forum, because for me we are just into the "non polish international section".
You must understand that all non-english people read this threads because all the useful information are given in english into this international forum. This is not a reason to consider that the Community is english only.

"Love is in the air", may be, but only in english, which I regret. But stop now on that matter. I will keep on waiting for the Asheral's english translations of chapters of "Season of storms" and translate them in french. But I well understand that when my french translation will be finished, I must not come into the present post to provide the information.

Bye ! :)

Last edited:
Dear all,

The CDPR forum exists only two languages : polish, for polish people, and english for the rest of the world. The present topic is located into "Witcher Series/Community" and is named "Community fan translations". I don't understand why you all consider that we are here into a kind of "english only restricted area" section of the forum, because for me we are just into the "non polish international section".
You must understand that all non-english people read this threads because all the useful information are given in english into this international forum. This is not a reason to consider that the Community is english only.

"Love is in the air", may be, but only in english, which I regret. But stop now on that matter. I will keep on waiting for the Asheral's english translations of chapters of "Season of storms" and translate them in french. But I well understand that when my french translation will be finished, I must come into the present post to provide the information.

Bye ! :)

In general, yes, this is an English-language forum, but there are threads in other languages where appropriate. Clearly a discussion on fan-translations into French would come into that category and, as has been pointed out, the best way to handle this would be to start a new thread.

There is no reason to turn this into any kind of dispute.

Why Tretogor has been changed into the "Dreiberg", like in German translation? In official English translation and games Tretogor is still Tretogor...

Also - Reynart de Bois-Fresnes was changed into "Reynart Bois-de Fresnes" ???

Fixed.

So far I have left the Condoterri song alone in the text, but have fiddled for a few moments with little success... this is the best I've massaged from it so far, but I think it would need some more work before I am happy to replace the current attempt (plus check that idiomatic drift isn't too bad, as I'm only massaging a translation, and some polish phrases I can't adequately decipher).

Never the sceptre nor throne shall we serve
Never with monarchs alliance we make
We with the coin, so like the sun shimmering
Leap to obey!

Nothing for us your soldier’s fealties
Nor bow to your banners, nor kiss hands
We for these coin, so like the sun golden
Give our allegiance!

For we do not mourn for lovers or wives
When we, the earth redden with blood
For the coin, like the sun fills us with light
For this we fight!

Last edited:
The link to the mobi and epub versions isn't working for me... Also are there fan translations of The Last Wish and Blood of Elves? I would like to read them and compare them to the official translations if there are.

Also are there fan translations of The Last Wish and Blood of Elves? I would like to read them and compare them to the official translations if there are.

Where official translations are available, we don't give links to unofficial versions.

OK, I get that. Copyrights and all that. I'd just heard that the fan translations were better, which is why I wanted to compare. It's that or learn Polish....

Last edited:
As I'm making what I hope is the final pass on Lady of the Lake before passing it for upload, is there any feedback from the recently added Tower of the Swallow?

Also is there a preference for retaining the existing song of the Condotierie or replacing it with a version based more along the lines of the tentative version posted above?

As I'm making what I hope is the final pass on Lady of the Lake before passing it for upload, is there any feedback from the recently added Tower of the Swallow?

Also is there a preference for retaining the existing song of the Condotierie or replacing it with a version based more along the lines of the tentative version posted above?

I'm a little over half way through Tower of the Swallow. I've noticed a few minor typos and incorrect/repeated words here and there, but for the most part everything has been very readable and easy to understand. However, chapters 7 and 8 (especially 7) seem a LOT more rough than everything else I've read so far. I have a few specific examples I can share in a PM if you'd like. Chapter 9 seems to be a lot more polished, just like chapters 1 - 6.

Please do. I welcome input to make the best version of the book that is possible in the absence of a bi-lingual Polish-English speaker.

It is fairly hard to correct text on screen only ~ after two or three passes over the whole 470 pages you just stop being able to see anything consistently ~ and only pick up stuff by 'accident'. It would be easier to mark-up on paper and correct the screen from there, if I had a fast printer, but even that would be a fairly hefty task (though nothing compared to the original tearing meaning from the Polish>French translation by the original English translator).

I don't know if this has been awnsered or not, I apologize if it has, but how is the Season of Storms translation comming along? I didnt know chapter 2 was being translated, so it was a pleasant surprise for me to fund it here. But is there any time table for the rest of the book? I know translating is a lot of work and I appreciate what effort everyone is putting into it, but i'm just curious.

I wouldn't even know where to start

Erm ... With simple sentences, I guess. And vocabulary. And the easiest cases. And a visit in Poland ;)
- But well, the fan translations are the fastest way to get to know the books, in case there is no official one. And they're really good, for Polish isn't the easiest language on earth. (I was living in a Polish family for one year with Polish as the only language to communicate (okay, some people spoke English, but only a few), I take language lessons and I think I'm a fast learner, but when I started with the books, it was a real challenge. No one teaches non-native speakers this staropolski used in the books, and I took me half a year to get used to it.)
@Lieste: Did I understand you right it would be great if we report such minor things like @pwgreene mentioned? Because while reading I also stumbled over such things, but I didn't pay too much attention to it, because it's not that disturbing.

Please, PM them to me with the book name, page number (and format ~ as pdf and ebook pagination differs), and the sentence fragment as written, and as you think it could/should be rendered. (Or alternatively, where a usage is incorrect in many places ~ an example of one and a notation that it repeats "a few", "many" or on "every" usage).

I've got Tower of the Swallow and The Lady of the Lake currently in progress, and have unified the format to/of Sword of Destiny for my own use. It is much more polished than the later books so I feel less pressing need to update it, but did find and correct a few hiccups along the way.

Keep them coming as you find them, no need to store them up, and I'll incorporate the changes either before uploading or into a newer version as and when there are enough differences to make exporting a new version sensible. I'll find some webspace somewhere (I'm sure I should have something with my ISP, currently unused, but it might take a call to them to figure out how to access it).

I'll correct anything that is out-and-out wrong, and consider any stylistic points raised. No promise that every point suggested will be incorporated, but I'll look at everything.

I'm finding a lot of errors in The Lady of the Lake. It's mostly spelling typos. Is there a google doc that the community could update with tracked change suggestions that you could either accept or deny. I wouldn't make any changes to style or major sentence structure especially since I don't have the original Polish versions, and don't know Polish. But I would like to help make it a bit more readable for others. Let me know.

I'm finding a lot of errors in The Lady of the Lake. It's mostly spelling typos. Is there a google doc that the community could update with tracked change suggestions that you could either accept or deny. I wouldn't make any changes to style or major sentence structure especially since I don't have the original Polish versions, and don't know Polish. But I would like to help make it a bit more readable for others. Let me know.

Umm... never mind. Still need to upload the less unpolished version.

There were something along the lines of 10,000+ changes (not all admittedly error correction, some stylistic changes etc, but almost all pages got many tweaks.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom