Patch 1.03 - Popping up NPCs - Report

+
Patch 1.03 - Popping up NPCs - Report

Hello,

not a big problem, but was introduced with 1.03: NPCs pop up near Geralt (i.e. become visible). I have NPC Numbers set to Ultra.

Example: I see a lot of NPCs in a village, some near me, some far away. Suddenly two children directly besides Geralt (estimated 2 meters or so) become visible. This is curious, since if fewer NPCs are shown, one will remove those farthest away. This looks like NPC deactivation starts near the player character.
This is new - I never saw it with 1.02.

As a side note: After installing the patch, at least one of my Graphic/Video settings was wrong suddenly: The texture setting went from Ultra to Low.
As I saw this I checked all the other setting, they were okay.
Could it be, that a new game setting concerning NPCs and NPC numbers was introduced, but is not (yet) visible in the in game configuration?

Another thing I saw: Character animations for NPCs now have a tendency to glitch for a very short moment, for example Keira seemed to twitch sometimes, as if something had disturbed the points in the animation, but it rights itself immediately, and is not a problem, only ugly. This is also new - I never had it with 1.02.

Configuration:
Core i7 4820 @ 3.7 GHz (not overclocked)
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Nvidia GTX 980, Driver 352.86
Windows 7 Ultimate
Resolution: 1920x1200 (I have a 2560x1600 monitor, but for good frame rates I play Fullscreen in 1920x1200)
Neither GPU nor CPU are overheated, GPU goes up to 55 C, CPU stays well under 50.

Last edited:
Got this too. Win7, Core i5 3450, 8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz, GTX 970. Game runs with perfect performance - almost maxed and 60 fps average. Also playing from an SSD, so this can't be a ressource problem, as in overstressed memory / vram. Everything else streams in fine, too. It's jsut those NPCs.

It's clearly a bug and I hope it get's fixed asap. Thanks in advance CDPR.

This has to do with the way they implemented their texture streaming. Its horrible. Granted on console probably very needed, but hopefully they can change the way it works for PC. I have plenty of Vram. Let me use it.

I was just able to test this perfectly: I was standing in front of a pire, before me a name tag - "peasant". Yet nobody visible. I stopped in time, then waited. Nothing happened. So yeah, this is definitely not ressources running out, it's a distance thing. An inch closer and the damn peasant would appear. Or I stand there forever and watch the nametag of an invisible man. xD

Top Bottom