Patch 1.2 — Development Update

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear CDPR,

I know you are not general software development company so you might just not know how to version your stuff in meaningful, package-manager friendly manner (and you don't have to), but I hope at least you know that 2 is smaller number than 12 so you cannot call next patch 1.2 if you want to avoid overall confusion.

Make it 1.20 if you will.
Or 2.0 since your versioning scheme is meaningless anyway :p

I guess they going with the versioning system that goes like the real numbers (like 1.2 being greater than 1.12) instead of MAJOR.Minor.patch versioning. I found that weird also. On the other hand, from the non-developer perspective, the real number system is more understandable. I remember being confused at mainstream versioning when I started coding.

No, because one scenario is sustainable to produce an exceptional game while the other isn't.

Consoles completely handicap the technical capabilities of the game's design. PC does not. PC's can be upgraded within months or a year, piecemeal. A console has to wait years to do so, in a single batch.

And the fact that instead of working on adding back cut game features, they will be wasting time on the impossible task of trying to make this game look decent on PS4/Xbox, likely delaying the development of DLC's and actual content additions to the game by months if not almost a year, is particularly what sucks with the greedy move to try to fit this game into old gen console markets.

Boohoo, it's not all about PC gamers, for once. Sorry to have to tell you, but since console users also paid for the game, we're well within our rights to expect it to be fixed if it doesn't bloody work. If the roles were reversed PC users would have the same expectations. If that means DLC content gets delayed, so be it.

Besides, I think CDPR are wise enough to know that if they did abandon console users, they would likely lose a large customer base for future games, because we would neither forget or forgive.

Boohoo, it's not all about PC gamers, for once. Sorry to have to tell you, but since console users also paid for the game, we're well within our rights to expect it to be fixed if it doesn't bloody work. If the roles were reversed PC users would have the same expectations. If that means DLC content gets delayed, so be it.

Besides, I think CDPR are wise enough to know that if they did abandon console users, they would likely lose a large customer base for future games, because we would neither forget or forgive.

Well, it works both ways, I say boohoo to your desires that a game be held hostage to development simply because you don't want to shell out money for up to date hardware.

Competing interests, I admit, and I hope after this fiasco CDPR learns better than to try scrape the barrel for your money.

Their investment on trying to court the old gen console demographic ended up in a broken, mediocre game with an undeliverable promise and severe customer backlash for the product they put out after being restrained by the lowest common denominator.

No, because one scenario is sustainable to produce an exceptional game while the other isn't.

Consoles completely handicap the technical capabilities of the game's design. PC does not. PC's can be upgraded within months or a year, piecemeal. A console has to wait years to do so, in a single batch.

And the fact that instead of working on adding back cut game features, they will be wasting time on the impossible task of trying to make this game look decent on PS4/Xbox, likely delaying the development of DLC's and actual content additions to the game by months if not almost a year, is particularly what sucks with the greedy move to try to fit this game into old gen console markets.
Actually you're wrong about that, it's quite the opposite or even balanced if you kind of think about it.

This is a good time to be a designer because the framework used to develop consoles has morphed considerably since the old days.

Now, coding for consoles and developing for consoles is much more similar to developing for PCs. It isn’t exactly the same, mind you, but it’s significantly closer than it used to be.

There are some fundamental differences.

When designing for a console, you are working with finite hardware capabilities and concrete specs. Sure, this is more limiting than the PC’s adjustable capabilities. But it also makes it easier for the designers.

You are building a game within very specific parameters. You don’t have to compensate for differences in video cards or processors. Every Xbox One is, from a game design standpoint, exactly the same.

The variance comes from the different console options. Designing for PS4 is different than designing for Xbox One. Typically, especially with bigger games, the workforce is separated into dedicated, console-specific teams.

You’d be assigned to the PS4 team, or the windows 10/Xbox One team. On smaller development teams, everyone might be porting to a couple of different systems.

For the PC the primary difficulty of designing games for the computer is working around all the hardware variables. The goal is to design great gameplay, certainly, but you want it to look great and run smoothly too. To do that, you have to keep these different specs in mind as you’re building.

The video card, the sound card, the processor, etc. can vary substantially from the low-end tech gamer to the high-end tech side of your audience. The game has to play well across the whole spectrum.

There are other factors you’d want to consider when it comes to game design. It might surprise you to learn that the differences diminish the further down this rabbit hole you go. Factors like budget, timeline, the difficulty of the work, and team size are all worthwhile considerations.

But there isn’t a “PC way” to do it and a “console way” to do it. These elements are all determined by the scope of the game being designed.

If you have a big MMO game, even a AAA game with a big budget and a large team, it could take several years. If you have a shooter, it might only take up to two years.

Think Call of Duty–sure, we see a new one every year, but it’s two separate studios, taking two years apiece to build a game, with a staggered release strategy.

The bigger the team, the more people available to work on different elements concurrently. The smaller the team, the more everyone will have on his or her plate, and the more challenging it will be (assuming game size stays the same).

Smaller games will take less time, and they are a more manageable place to start your game developing career.

As far as coding language goes, for AAA games the standard is typically C++ regardless of the intended port. In smaller games, you’ll see greater variety, like java or flash.

All of these factors, like difficulty and budget and team size, depend almost entirely on the game and the developer. It isn’t specifically tied to consoles or PCs.

We know you dudes are working hard and are committed to the community and the improvement of the game.

Keep doin' what you're doin'. We will continue to support you.

Actually you're wrong about that, it's quite the opposite or even balanced if you kind of think about it.

This is a good time to be a designer because the framework used to develop consoles has morphed considerably since the old days.

Now, coding for consoles and developing for consoles is much more similar to developing for PCs. It isn’t exactly the same, mind you, but it’s significantly closer than it used to be.

There are some fundamental differences.

When designing for a console, you are working with finite hardware capabilities and concrete specs. Sure, this is more limiting than the PC’s adjustable capabilities. But it also makes it easier for the designers.

You are building a game within very specific parameters. You don’t have to compensate for differences in video cards or processors. Every Xbox One is, from a game design standpoint, exactly the same.

The variance comes from the different console options. Designing for PS4 is different than designing for Xbox One. Typically, especially with bigger games, the workforce is separated into dedicated, console-specific teams.

You’d be assigned to the PS4 team, or the windows 10/Xbox One team. On smaller development teams, everyone might be porting to a couple of different systems.

For the PC the primary difficulty of designing games for the computer is working around all the hardware variables. The goal is to design great gameplay, certainly, but you want it to look great and run smoothly too. To do that, you have to keep these different specs in mind as you’re building.

The video card, the sound card, the processor, etc. can vary substantially from the low-end tech gamer to the high-end tech side of your audience. The game has to play well across the whole spectrum.

There are other factors you’d want to consider when it comes to game design. It might surprise you to learn that the differences diminish the further down this rabbit hole you go. Factors like budget, timeline, the difficulty of the work, and team size are all worthwhile considerations.

But there isn’t a “PC way” to do it and a “console way” to do it. These elements are all determined by the scope of the game being designed.

If you have a big MMO game, even a AAA game with a big budget and a large team, it could take several years. If you have a shooter, it might only take up to two years.

Think Call of Duty–sure, we see a new one every year, but it’s two separate studios, taking two years apiece to build a game, with a staggered release strategy.

The bigger the team, the more people available to work on different elements concurrently. The smaller the team, the more everyone will have on his or her plate, and the more challenging it will be (assuming game size stays the same).

Smaller games will take less time, and they are a more manageable place to start your game developing career.

As far as coding language goes, for AAA games the standard is typically C++ regardless of the intended port. In smaller games, you’ll see greater variety, like java or flash.

All of these factors, like difficulty and budget and team size, depend almost entirely on the game and the developer. It isn’t specifically tied to consoles or PCs.

But the technical specs, like how many elements you can load up, how far you can push the graphics, etc. DOES come down to whether it is a PC game or not.

You're not gonna convince anyone that this game will look as good or run as smooth on my RTX 3070 or someone's 3080 with a Ryzen 7 and 2TB SSD with 32GB RAM as it will on someone's console.

Hell, even on a GTX 1660Ti budget card there is simply no comparison with even a PS5.

But the technical specs, like how many elements you can load up, how far you can push the graphics, etc. DOES come down to whether it is a PC game or not.

You're not gonna convince anyone that this game will look as good or run as smooth on my RTX 3070 or someone's 3080 with a Ryzen 7 and 2TB SSD with 32GB RAM as it will on someone's console.

Hell, even on a GTX 1660Ti budget card there is simply no comparison with even a PS5.
Now your getting into something else completely. All I'm saying in a nutshell is that coding for the console is considerably less than it is on the PC because of less variances you have to consider which brings us back to your original quote of why the console is holding it back and it's actually not.

Now your getting into something else completely. All I'm saying in a nutshell is that coding for the console is considerably less than it is on the PC because of less variances you have to consider which brings us back to your original quote of why the console is holding it back and it's actually not.

I'm not getting into anything else, you just assumed my position was about the costs of coding when my OP was clearly stating that by chaining yourself to as low a ceiling as past gen console, let alone next gen ones, you immediately constrain yourself in terms of gameplay and technical design space. It was always about the ceiling, not the floor.

Despite whatever they might want to state, something will have to give in terms of design to accommodate a game into a PS4. And we already see the fruits of this, such as the disappearing NPC's or cars when you turn your view around, etc.

This is not unique to Cyberpunk 2077 either.

FFXIV tied itself to PS4, and now its armor textures look very plastic and dated despite discontinuing PS4 support in favor of PS5, because their game is constrained toward accommodating the limitations of consoles.

WoW has spraypainted body armor with no 3D elements because it wanted to keep courting the $300 chromebook gaming crowd. Many examples where the ceiling is set very low and the game suffers aesthetically and technically for it.

It’s not the news we enjoy sharing, but we want to make sure we launch this update properly. Stay tuned for more information as the time draws closer. Thank you for your continued patience and support.

I appreciate the update and the honesty—I'm patient for some good content, anything to make the game even better. I must say that it was really crappy for those hackers to do this—they don't wanna see the game improve, and their actions make me furious. Y'all have my support, and I eagerly await patch 1.2.

So just because you happen to own a computer, you should be given priority?
Imagine if someone decided, let´s drop the computer version and focus on console.

Would you be alright with that then?

Actually if you read what he said, he said last gen consoles, not current gen or next gen consoles, which makes it more reasonable. I wouldn't expect them to make it compatible with Win7 either for the computer.

You're right that one is sustainable. You're wrong about which one it is.

There simply isn't enough money available for a pure PC only AAA game. Sure, they could make a PC only game, but the budget would have to be considerably cut, so that there simply wouldn't be enough money to make a large interesting world.

It´s not one team on one thing only bud. They have dedicated staff to split on the tasks. Also, consoles are not that bad that many try to make them sound as. No they are no fullblown desktop with dual 3090´s, but they are no intellivision either. Take a look at RDR2 on PS4 Pro as a prime example. Many PC´s cannot play that game due to being lacking in horsepower, so the idea that consoles are a roadblock is wrong.

Well, it works both ways, I say boohoo to your desires that a game be held hostage to development simply because you don't want to shell out money for up to date hardware.

Excuses. CDPR seem to be happy for this narrative to be pushed, but they released the game on console. You have no proof that the game is being "held hostage" by the consoles, it just suits your agenda. The fact is that the game was not even finished, let alone optimized for any of the hardware it runs on.

Personally still love the game, just frustrated as I look forward to my next playthrough and I don't want to start till the next patch is released.

To my knowledge, what I have never seen an answer to is: when they first started thinking of how this game should look like, design settings etc. this was 2012-ish era (with a first reveal in 2013 I believe?). PS4 and X1 cant be considered a last-gen console at that time. And as far as I know any word of PS5 of X1 successor was not even discussed in the slightest.
now around the 2016-2018 when the game supposedly received a hard shift in direction, I can imagine PS5 and X1X becomes knowledge by CDPR to port the game based off of the PC-version into the new-to-arrive consoles.

But the entire 'last-gen' discussion is a typical hindsight fed debate becasue only nów is current/last even a thing.
I hope that for once we can put to bed the entire "Last gen holds game back" discussion because at the time of intial setup for this game, it didn't exist.

To my knowledge, what I have never seen an answer to is: when they first started thinking of how this game should look like, design settings etc. this was 2012-ish era (with a first reveal in 2013 I believe?). PS4 and X1 cant be considered a last-gen console at that time. And as far as I know any word of PS5 of X1 successor was not even discussed in the slightest.
now around the 2016-2018 when the game supposedly received a hard shift in direction, I can imagine PS5 and X1X becomes knowledge by CDPR to port the game based off of the PC-version into the new-to-arrive consoles.

But the entire 'last-gen' discussion is a typical hindsight fed debate becasue only nów is current/last even a thing.
I hope that for once we can put to bed the entire "Last gen holds game back" discussion because at the time of intial setup for this game, it didn't exist.

Well, Probably taking a decade to make a game is not a good idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom