Patches Downloads/Updates for The Witcher 3 in GOG

+
In GOG , The patches for The Witcher 3 are empty and unavailable. Both for auto update or the extras' manual downloads. What is going on in GOG? Where are those patches?

Attachments

• fail1.PNG
    fail1.PNG
    7.4 KB · Views: 49
  • fail2.PNG
    fail2.PNG
    37.7 KB · Views: 48
In GOG , The patches for The Witcher 3 are empty and unavailable. Both for auto update or the extras' manual downloads. What is going on in GOG? Where are those patches?
As far as I know, the patches are integrated into the latest version of the game. If you're looking to "roll back" to earlier patches, I'm not sure that's available anymore. It's possible it may still exist to some extent if you bought a version of the game that was released back in 2015. I'm not sure.

Can you explain more about what you purchased, when, and what your goal is?

The downloadable/updatable patches for The WItcher 3 GOTY version are unavailable in GOG 2.0. Those v4. patches need to be downloaded/updated onto the computer, for The Witcher 3 to play coherently. I am experiencing bugs that the patches shall fix like: definitively killing the Mordvarg Werewolf. Or perhaps a patch fixes: the DELUSION option in the dialogues, which are stubbornly ineffective (I've tried to slot, upgrade, and sync that AXII).

I purchased a brand new The Witcher 3 GOTY box version in 2022. I download. I was forced to re-download the whole digital version in GOG Galaxy Client to start playing. Eventually, I misface a wall-block with Keira Metz in the caves. Looking for a bug fix, I started using GOG 2.0, which had to again download the entire digital version and automatically. A corridor opens. Moreover, there are still other bugs in playing The Witcher 3.

I am reading that the GOTY box version contains patch 1.23 only. If the box version contains patches v4. , then I'll start using that. The developers seem to be on top of the current flaws. However, in order for the game to play coherently, the player needs the patches. Where did those files go, hiding in the Extras tab?

I request a Client/Vendor that allows the game to be played out of the box.
I request a copy of the patches and the lists of fixes.

The downloadable/updatable patches for The WItcher 3 GOTY version are unavailable in GOG 2.0. Those v4. patches need to be downloaded/updated onto the computer, for The Witcher 3 to play coherently. I am experiencing bugs that the patches shall fix like: definitively killing the Mordvarg Werewolf. Or perhaps a patch fixes: the DELUSION option in the dialogues, which are stubbornly ineffective (I've tried to slot, upgrade, and sync that AXII).

I purchased a brand new The Witcher 3 GOTY box version in 2022. I download. I was forced to re-download the whole digital version in GOG Galaxy Client to start playing. Eventually, I misface a wall-block with Keira Metz in the caves. Looking for a bug fix, I started using GOG 2.0, which had to again download the entire digital version and automatically. A corridor opens. Moreover, there are still other bugs in playing The Witcher 3.

I am reading that the GOTY box version contains patch 1.23 only. If the box version contains patches v4. , then I'll start using that. The developers seem to be on top of the current flaws. However, in order for the game to play coherently, the player needs the patches. Where did those files go, hiding in the Extras tab?

I request a Client/Vendor that allows the game to be played out of the box.
I request a copy of the patches and the lists of fixes.
I'm a little confused as to what you're describing.

When you download and install the game from GOG via Galaxy, it automatically installs the most recent version of the game.

If you download the installation package from GOG via a browser, then you will have to download individual patches -- but these should be included in the actual download packages and will automatically install as part of the process.

If you purchase a box version of the game, it will still come with a platform code (whether Steam, GOG, Epic, Origin, etc.) Hence, when it installs, the game should automatically update via the platform.

My only guess as to why you're seeing bugs is that there may be a problem with your saved games (especially if they're older saves). Have you begun a new game?

Also, are you using any mods, or have you ever used any in the past?

*Danger* -- The Witcher 3 patch update v4.03 minimizes the capacity of the harddrive, as if there is a virus upon download. I freed 80GB of space. After the 3rd patch (3 of 21) the harddrive claims to have minimum capacity. What is going on? Is this a Windows 10 dilemma or a patch file dilemma? Looks like someone in Microsoft is playing a prank -- dangerous. Is this why the landfills are overfilling today? Should I sneak in a 100 TB drive and setup an arcade stand? How or where may I download a normal patch, normally?

*Danger* -- The Witcher 3 patch update v4.03 minimizes the capacity of the harddrive, as if there is a virus upon download. I freed 80GB of space. After the 3rd patch (3 of 21) the harddrive claims to have minimum capacity. What is going on? Is this a Windows 10 dilemma or a patch file dilemma? Looks like someone in Microsoft is playing a prank -- dangerous. Is this why the landfills are overfilling today? Should I sneak in a 100 TB drive and setup an arcade stand? How or where may I download a normal patch, normally?
Sorry, but it seems like you have some sort of issue not directly related to the game. Where did you purchase a hard copy? Aside from the Collecter's Editions...I'm not aware of any hard copies that were ever marketed. Even those did not come on a disc -- they came with a GOG code. Did you buy it from a vendor, or second-hand?

There are no "viruses" in the installations from the valid platforms. If that were the case, everyone that tried to download it would see the same thing.

When your computer reports that it's at hard drive capacity, that means that your hard drive is full. As a rule of thumb, a hard drive (or SSD) should maintain at least 10% free space at all times. 20% is even better. When a drive is filled to the brim, you will definitely see performance degradation, as the drive cannot move files easily anymore. That chunk of empty space is necessary for the drive to quickly and easily move large chunks of data in a contiguous block to another place. It will also effect the efficiency of virtual memory during operation.

Your hard drive being at capacity has to do with the amount of stuff you currently have installed or saved on it. It has nothing to do with a game's installation process.

Actually they are available they just put them in a different location

At the top click the icon furthest to the right, from the dropdown menu choose "manage installation" and then "configure" and a new window will pop up. You'll see the last two patches and a link at the bottom "Show more versions" and you see all 5 patches

However there is really no need for that because if you download the latest patch all the previous ones are also installed. The point of having the old patches is so you can roll back to an older version if the latest breaks some mods or something like that

I'm still on patch 4.01 otherwise it will break my mods and more importantly my save which has the main game completed and ready to do the two DLC stories. If I upgrade then I'll have to play the main game all over again to get to the DLCs. The only way that is worth it to me is if they finally fix the CPU threading issue properly so I can use Ray Tracing which frankly may never happen since it's already been 6 months

Last edited:
Actually they are available they just put them in a different location

At the top click the icon furthest to the right, from the dropdown menu choose "manage installation" and then "configure" and a new window will pop up. You'll see the last two patches and a link at the bottom "Show more versions" and you see all 5 patches

However there is really no need for that because if you download the latest patch all the previous ones are also installed. The point of having the old patches is so you can roll back to an older version if the latest breaks some mods or something like that

I'm still on patch 4.01 otherwise it will break my mods and more importantly my save which has the main game completed and ready to do the two DLC stories. If I upgrade then I'll have to play the main game all over again to get to the DLCs. The only way that is worth it to me is if they finally fix the CPU threading issue properly so I can use Ray Tracing which frankly may never happen since it's already been 6 months
There will be no work done to prior versions of the game. Any further improvements to hyper-/multi-threading, graphics, game bugs, etc. will be applied only to the latest version of the game.

It's also possible that some of what you're seeing is related to the mods installed. (I should have led with that question.) Essentially, you're trying to manually install prior versions of the game in order to work with save files using mods that are also out-of-date. You're pretty much on your own with this one, I'm afraid. It's possible -- don't get me wrong! But the issues you're seeing are going to be extremely specific and particular to your unique situation.

I'm going to move this to the Modding Discussions board. Hopefully someone there can offer you assistance in sorting out whatever may be going wrong.

I'm not having any problems unless I update to the current version, the old version is working just fine. However if I do upgrade to the latest I lose all my progress and the last 2 updates really brought nothing to the table that made it worthwhile to upgrade to them and lose all my progress. The ONLY thing that would make it worthwhile to lose my progress is if the threading issues are properly fixed and they aren't yet and frankly I don't think they will be until they bring in the "A Team" from Cyberpunk and I don't see that happening until sometime after Phantom Liberty is released.

Plus if I do upgrade, add mods and start all over again when they do drop a new update it will break the game again and I'll be back to square one all over again. Thus it's better to just stand pat with what I have already working decently without Ray Tracing until development ends or I decide I want to do a full replay again

I'm not having any problems unless I update to the current version, the old version is working just fine. However if I do upgrade to the latest I lose all my progress and the last 2 updates really brought nothing to the table that made it worthwhile to upgrade to them and lose all my progress. The ONLY thing that would make it worthwhile to lose my progress is if the threading issues are properly fixed and they aren't yet and frankly I don't think they will be until they bring in the "A Team" from Cyberpunk and I don't see that happening until sometime after Phantom Liberty is released.

Plus if I do upgrade, add mods and start all over again when they do drop a new update it will break the game again and I'll be back to square one all over again. Thus it's better to just stand pat with what I have already working decently without Ray Tracing until development ends or I decide I want to do a full replay again
That's exactly what happens when a game is updated. The data that many mods refer to will very likely change, hence the mods themselves will need to be updated to work with the new game version. This is what will happen with all games.

If the older versions work for you, then use that version with the mod library that works.

If you're looking for future fixes, then they will apply only to newer versions of the game. You will have to rebuild your mod library according to what mod authors release for that version.

Ihmm, The Witcher 3 is now up and running. I deleted stale installation files from the folder of downloads, (. . . !Downloads.) That was probably causing the capacity dilemma. The version - 1.32 or 1.23 - may have contributed to the capacity dilemma; odd that version 1.32 or version 1.23 got stuck. Anyhow, version 4.03 is working in coherence with the harddrive. Thanks folks.

Ihmm, The Witcher 3 is now up and running. I deleted stale installation files from the folder of downloads, (. . . !Downloads.) That was probably causing the capacity dilemma. The version - 1.32 or 1.23 - may have contributed to the capacity dilemma; odd that version 1.32 or version 1.23 got stuck. Anyhow, version 4.03 is working in coherence with the harddrive. Thanks folks.
Glad you could sort it out!

@John_Russell
Sorry -- I didn't realize you weren't the OP until just now. I was so confused as to some of your responses. Thought I was missing something -- and I was! :p

Top Bottom