Patchnotes 7.3

+
Wow, I have yet to read one positive post about the latest patch. This one upsets so many people, and on very different aspects. Interesting.

Overall, this patch seems... strange? Some things were requested for months and only implemented now (doomed for scenarios). The nerfs to dominating factions are too timid. Some changes are not expected and silly (bombs), while there are so many cards that clearly need attention. The change I really liked is with the harpy. I love it when cards have character and resemble the personality of the person or some trait of the creature. I wish there are more changes like this.

So much this. Many cards should be more interactive and closer to the lore.

So...greedy decks get demolished, the greediest ones get a pass. What was your point again?

That's a question of balance, and yes, some decks are laughably unbalanced (like master mirror second wind Skellige warriors), but that's not an argument for less control and removing control options ( eg. double ball).

TLDR: My point was, that more control means more interesting games.

DRK3

Forum veteran
You can barely notice the nerf on SK, i already faced a few Rage of the Sea and Patricidal Fury and they still destroyed me. I wont even touch rank this month, and will insta forfeit on any SK Warriors deck i see, you could add 1 provision to every single of that archetype's cards and it would still be one of the best decks around.

Double ball, no matter how annoying it was, it was still less frustrating to play against compared to SK warriors or NR duel shield wall. Not to mention that Double Ball was like a natural enemy of Shieldwall NR. The provision nerfs done to both SK and NR won't affect their overall competitive, as these 2 factions have plenty of good bronzes and gold cards that allow flexibility.

Unfortunately, NG does not have bronzes or gold cards that could replace even half of the power generated by Ball. I don't understand the logic behind nerfing Scenarios by giving them doomed, and then also nerfing Ball's provision cost. This is basically a double nerf.

Baffling is how the devs promised some love for NG this season but instead, they nerfed it even more to the ground. Palmerin aside, which remains to be seen if he will rejuvenate the spy archetype (doubt it), all the other buffs are useless. I have not been playing this for a long time, but it is already getting extremely frustrating, despite the fact that there is huge potential in this game if someone with a little bit of vision would just take hold of it.

Breaking even... if all your cards break even you straight up lost the game.
At least try to be objective. This statement is as absurd as the response, “If all your cards play for 15+ points, you flat out win the game.”
Both provisions and cards played are resources; looking at one to the exclusion of the other is patently meaningless. I happen to believe that Ball (and all scenarios for that matter) consistently play for more value than any single card should — even if they cost 50 provisions and never win matches. Of course, scenarios are not the only culprit here.

ya1

Forum regular
Wow, I have yet to read one positive post about the latest patch. This one upsets so many people, and on very different aspects. Interesting.

Stunning Blow change was good. But not because of ”cool kids club” of 5p 5dmg cards as advertised in dev comments (this tendency to homogenize factions is obnoxiously dogmatic and does not translate to better balance at all). It was good because it worked already with the Blacksmith. Unlike the top end provision changes that did not work at all (now they're stubbornly trying this with NR).

Harpy was ok. Ithline was fine. Viviane Oriole looks ok. Maybe a few others. But it's all overshadowed by the trash changes which make zero sense in competitive Gwent. People had already stopped using artifact removal except Heatwave anyway. Ball decks were just too weak. And now another provision nerf? They used to do data driven balancing. What happened? Can't they see NG is dead last?

Overall, this patch seems... strange? Some things were requested for months and only implemented now (doomed for scenarios). The nerfs to dominating factions are too timid. Some changes are not expected and silly (bombs), while there are so many cards that clearly need attention. The change I really liked is with the harpy. I love it when cards have character and resemble the personality of the person or some trait of the creature. I wish there are more changes like this.
I already posted 2 times in this thread and i loved the changes.

For me dont see double ball anymore its the best thing the devs could bring to us.

cya double ball

People crying

Yes, NG is a control faction, so you need to spread your points. If you go tall with only 2-3 units, you lose. I don't see any problem with that. Or do you expect to go tall against control faction especially teched up against tall units and still win???

And there are many answers, poison can be stopped with veil, vincent with a purify, yen invo with defender... But the easiest answer is to spread your points, and then your average unit will be worth more points than NG average unit and you will win.

You need to accept that there is no deck to win them all, some decks are better against others. So yes, your tall deck will always lose against tall control, swarm decks will always lose against wide control. Depending on how many players play tall decks, tall control will have better win rate and wide control worse. In the current meta, NG tall control double ball is an obscure meme deck with a terrible win rate, that was deleted by devs for no reason, further restricting gameplay.

you were talking about NG naturally countering engines and i brought up that the engine countering deck also makes playing tall units impossible - so thats why poeple hate NG.
but yeah, nice job on twisting everything i said into a narrative that has me whining about tallremoval.

If you counter 2 out of 3 options, thats not how rock paper scissores works.

I installed the patch, played 2 games, and my account was disabled.
More than 2 hours later, and it still doesn't work for multiplayer.
How do I fix it?

That's a question of balance, and yes, some decks are laughably unbalanced (like master mirror second wind Skellige warriors), but that's not an argument for less control and removing control options ( eg. double ball).

TLDR: My point was, that more control means more interesting games.
I honestly fail to see the appeal. This way most cards turn into meaningless "kick this!" signs that only exist to eat a poison or a Rebuke. Lock is okay, as it's a strategic tool and you can't have too many of those without sacrificing values, so...fine. Six rounds of removal straight every round so that only two or three cards matter in the end? Not so much. Today I've run into a NG guy who had FIVE hard removals in R3, and then some assassinations, too. And I am not even running giga-engines, but got nuked into 0 points anyway. Fun.

Attachments

• Sin título.png
    Sin título.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
I honestly fail to see the appeal. This way most cards turn into meaningless "kick this!" signs that only exist to eat a poison or a Rebuke. Lock is okay, as it's a strategic tool and you can't have too many of those without sacrificing values, so...fine. Six rounds of removal straight every round so that only two or three cards matter in the end? Not so much. Today I've run into a NG guy who had FIVE hard removals in R3, and then some assassinations, too. And I am not even running giga-engines, but got nuked into 0 points anyway. Fun.

I guess this is the day I take a break from the game. It hasn't been a day yet and I haven't played a match against someone who doesn't have a scenario. I haven't used scenarios since MOO but now you either have one or you've lost unless you're piloting SK or NR. MO was already trash with devotion, now there's even less reason to use Auberon since the only only counter to scenarios dictate whether you can win or not.

They wanted to lesson binary the game play but haven't bothered to balance the cards that are being countered. Frost can be played around in several ways and it's slow tempo so that wasn't problematic but you can't play around scenarios. What's worse is not all scenarios are equal. If I want to use Haunt I have to commit to deathwish otherwise one bad draw means it's bricked...every other faction can fit theirs into their deck rather easily.

I main organic and this was the final nail in the coffin so I have to either conform to OH or just don't bother. After 1-2 matches I realize I'm playing something I don't even want to and I just quit the game. FUN

I can't even applaud them for giving doomed to scenarios. It's like handing in your assignment 3 months late and expecting an A+.

Am I the only one really concerned about the effect Blizzard is going to have on the game? It seems to me that it's pretty much going to destroy any swarm / token spawning deck. Firesworn, NR volunteers, Deadeye elves, MO Glusty / Kikimore Queen decks could all be easily decimated with a single card.

EDIT - And SK ravens too... :p
Actually, I think Blizzard may be the best change since I started playing about 6 months ago. There needed to be an alternative spawn punish to Lacerate and similar cards. Blizzard is delightful, because it can be played around, attempts to play around it can be countered, and those counters countered. In other wards, it adds to strategic play and deck design — very unlike most cards.

Last edited:
Actually, I think Blizzard may be the best change since I started playing about 6 months ago. There needed to be an alternative spawn punish to Lacerate and similar cards. Blizzard is delightful, because it can be played around, attempts to play around it can be countered, and those counters countered. In other wards, it adds to strategic play and deck design — very unlike most cards.
Doubtful. If you play ST and there is a lot of Nature's Gift, then you'll hit a 1pt treat....if you go up against SK there's a high chance you'll just nuke your own units. In both cases you'd have to play it on your first turn and there are plenty more examples where this will brick and its 8 provision. I'm sure there are uses but considering ppl will have to make room for either a scenario or heatwave and oneiro it's unlikely that card will see much play. If not for the artifact counters being removed I'd agree with you

Doubtful. If you play ST and there is a lot of Nature's Gift, then you'll hit a 1pt treat....if you go up against SK there's a high chance you'll just nuke your own units. In both cases you'd have to play it on your first turn and there are plenty more examples where this will brick and its 8 provision. I'm sure there are uses but considering ppl will have to make room for either a scenario or heatwave and oneiro it's unlikely that card will see much play. If not for the artifact counters being removed I'd agree with you
You are right on this. It is definitely a tech card, and at 8 provision, probably not worth playing unless spawn like fireswarm and Deadeyes become more prevalent. And now that I think about it, that makes the card pretty binary as well.

After a year away I just returned to the game one week before Druid season ended. Managed to climb rank 2 with SK and ST decks and I don't plan to play anymore...

I used to support CDPR listening to their community and not being afraid to change the game, but now I realize that's also a big mistake: the game keeps drastically changing since its original release in TW3 as CDPR doesn't seem to commit with something specific thus failing to further develop the new things they introduce. Some examples are:

• Game mechanics (completely erased or reworked over an over e.g. gold immunity, removing one row, modifying spells, weather, leader/card abilities)
  • Deck archetypes (some completely removed - SK discard, ST spell/trap, NG mill/reveal decks - and a bunch of others not valuable enough to be played - NG spy, MO consume, or ST harmony decks)
  • Keywords poorly introduced (~2 cards per faction of devotion/bond only) or shared among factions (armor was NR exclusive and they could have done the same with vitality/bleeding mechanics)

In the end, they couldn't learn from neither the mistakes nor the success of Heartstone, so I'm afraid they won't survive long enough in this market. Glad to have played lots of hours on Gwent, but this is farewell! :cry:
Post automatically merged:

Ironically, this is an old mechanic they shouldn't remove in the first place as it added another layer of strategy to the gameplay (as the guy who replied to you, you have to be careful to not remove your own units)... but since CDPR doesn't seem to commit to something, they keep walking in circles failing to create a consistent and unique game experience... sadly :sad:

Last edited:
homecoming aka lamecoming irreparably damaged the game, prior too midwinter patch the game was in its best state spellateal deck was the most fun deck along with spies, the reasons they gave for doing homecoming aren't very consistent with the game as it is now really.. powercreep high tempo plays etc.. its all come back in a slightly different form now but its getting worse again, gutted the game for no good reason really, artifacts are pretty much dead and there are very few order cards that are playable 'syndicate' faction just seems pointless and inconsistent with the rest of the game, i was hoping with weather coming back into the game maybe it might find some way too being worth playing and fun again.. maybe that was too optimistic and NR/SK dominance is very unhealthy for the game.

Top Bottom