Pawel Mielniczuk 'game has about 29 base models of cars, which can be found in countless varieties, including Nomad sets'.

+
Well, I dunno. I've been compiling an intricate list of vehicles - no far fetched ones, all obviously driveable by the player - and I count 45 so far. This includes quite a few variations of the base models, a few just different themes based on the gang that drives them, but a lot of the variations are very different from the base models. For an RPG, that's plenty, and more than I expected really.

They're definitely going more for the '80s/'90s, Total Recall/Blade Runner feel, with the grimy little kei-cars and such, more than the super futuristic approach - although they do have a bit of that with the sleek looking AVs.

I do not agree that the vehicles lack detail, and that it seems like they skimped on the design of them, at all. Even the cheap, uninteresting ones are somehow interesting, with finicky little design elements and details. I especially dig the asymmetric thing they've got going, with wonky headlights and such. Love it.
I didn't say they lack detail.
And I do get the aesthetic they are going for.

I just think it should have been bolder and more inspired by retrofuturistic concept cars such as:
Ferrari Modulo, Lincoln Quicksilver, Oldsmobile Incas, Lancia Sibilo, Alfa Rome Navajo Bertone, Toyota CX-80, Vauxhall SRV, etc...

I didn't say they lack detail.
And I do get the aesthetic they are going for.

I just think it should have been bolder and more inspired by retrofuturistic concept cars such as:
Ferrari Modulo,
Lincoln Quicksilver, Oldsmobile Incas, Lancia Sibilo, Alfa Rome Navajo Bertone, Toyota CX-80, Vauxhall SRV, etc...

Have you actually bothered to look at the vehicles you listed as inspiration and compare them against what we have seen so far?

Ferrari Modulo:
1970-ferrari-512s-modulo-concept-at-villa-d-este.jpg

Corpo transport:

14-1559010953563.png

Alfa Romeo:

1976-alfa-romeo-navajo-bertone-13.jpg

Quadra (or whatever it's called):

5uWH5fabHYKH4n2qXZyadh.jpg

To me, it literally looks like they did exactly what you are complaining about... they took inspiration from existing futuristic concepts and ran wild with them.

Last edited:
Uhmmmm, yes I did.

That aerial vehicle does resemble Modulo, but but only in silhouette, while also being way bigger. (also, aerial vehicles can't be used by the player)
As for Quadra, wedge design aside, it has nothing to do with Alfa Romeo Navajo.
It looks more like a blend of Ferrari Testarossa and DeTomaso Pantera.

Anyways these vehicles are cool enough.

My issue is with the bland looking sedans and generic muscle cars:

Last edited:
Uhmmmm, yes I did.

That aerial vehicle does resemble Modulo, but but only in silhouette, while also being way bigger.
As for Quadra, wedge design aside, it has nothing to do with Alfa Romeo Navajo.
It looks more like a blend of Ferrari Testarossa and DeTomaso Pantera.
Ummmmmmm, that's what taking inspiration means. It doesn't mean copy/paste existing concepts by somebody else.

And what exactly is wrong with regular looking cars? Does everything in the game needs to look like a spaceship?

Last edited:
So, 29 base models. Plus if you add the different variations which most likely is going to be more than 29. But since we don't know lets say its more than double of 29.

So, 29 + 29= 58

58 + 29 = 87

Also, Quadra seems to have two base model vehicles currently with two variants "Reaver" and a Aldecalos set.

If we use the Quadra example instead of the above example with all the car manufacturers we would get 116 vehicles both in base models and variants.

So, 29 base models. Plus if you add the different variations which most likely is going to be more than 29. But since we don't know lets say its more than double of 29.

So, 29 + 29= 58

58 + 29 = 87

Also, Quadra seems to have two base model vehicles currently with two variants "Reaver" and a Aldecalos set.

If we use the Quadra example instead of the above example with all the car manufacturers we would get 116 vehicles both in base models and variants.

I'm sure some vehicles will have more variations than others, so don't think we'll get into the hundreds.

Regarding Quadra, we've seen six different kinds so far - the basic Turbo (with no -R, no rear spoiler), Turbo-R V-Tech (Jackie's car), Type-66 (yellow modern-looking one from screenshots), Type-66 "Avenger" (from the street-racing lineup in the Lifepaths trailer), Type-66 "Reaver" (the Wraith gang one) and Type-66 "Nomad". There's a lot of inconsistencies with these models, though.

Like - we've had confirmed on Twitter that the "Reaver" is based on a Type-66, but in The World of Cyberpunk 2077, there's a huge artwork that clearly depicts the Type-66, that the "Reaver" is based on, and it says "Quadra Turbo-R" in huge font...

Maybe the people that made the book, were confused about the models, too. It's probably changed a lot along the way as well, as they've clearly done quite a few passes adjusting the branding and expanding the amount of cars over the development of the game.

I made this little illustration below, which makes the Turbo-R/Type-66 debacle easier to explain. Either the book-guys are wrong, or the Twitter-guys are wrong. :p

Click HERE for the full size.

quadraturborortype66.jpg

Last edited:
Ummmmmmm, that's what taking inspiration means. It doesn't mean copy/paste existing concepts by somebody else.

And what exactly is wrong with regular looking cars? Does everything in the game needs to look like a spaceship?
You keep putting words into my mouth. Knock it off with the straw man.

1. I did not say they should copy/paste existing concepts.

2. I did not say everything in the game needs to look like a spaceship, or even something too extravagant.

BUT, a regular looking car in 2077 is not a regular looking car in 2020.
And none of the cars in pictures I posted would stand out if you saw them in the street today.
They could have been more futuristic and more quirky such as:
Lamborghini Marzal
Lincoln Quicksilver
Oldsmobile Incas
NSU Trapeze
Nissan NX-21
Citroen Activa Concept
Bizzarini Manta
ItalDesign Medici
Renault Gabbiano
Toyota CX-80
These would stand out on the street even today.

Citroen BX, Citroen XM and Fiat Ritmo, while being regular production cars would also fit the Cyberpunk aesthetic far better then your average American box sedan.

Anyways, I've said my piece.
If someone at CDPR reads it and takes it into account regarding future vehicles - great, if not - fine either way.

The Aldercaldos and the Wraiths modified Quadras look to be EXACTLY the same in terms of mods.
Only the color and decals are different.

I can't count them as two separate cars...

The Aldercaldos and the Wraiths modified Quadras look to be EXACTLY the same in terms of mods.
Only the color and decals are different.

I can't count them as two separate cars...

That's true, they are identical aside from the livery. It all depends on how you categorize the cars, I guess. The fact that we can't modify the cars, and that they have different names despite identical models, is enough to diversify them, I reckon.

Also, the term "base model" - does that refer to actual unique vehicle models? As in the Type-66 is the base-model of the Type-66 "Reaver", or is the "Reaver" also a "base-model", as it's unique?

That's true, they are identical aside from the livery. It all depends on how you categorize the cars, I guess. The fact that we can't modify the cars, and that they have different names despite identical models, is enough to diversify them, I reckon.

Also, the term "base model" - does that refer to actual unique vehicle models? As in the Type-66 is the base-model of the Type-66 "Reaver", or is the "Reaver" also a "base-model", as it's unique?

No, the reaver is not considered a base model, it's a type 66 modded vehicle.

You keep putting words into my mouth. Knock it off with the straw man.

1. I did not say they should copy/paste existing concepts.

2. I did not say everything in the game needs to look like a spaceship, or even something too extravagant.

BUT, a regular looking car in 2077 is not a regular looking car in 2020.
And none of the cars in pictures I posted would stand out if you saw them in the street today.
They could have been more futuristic and more quirky such as:
Lamborghini Marzal
Lincoln Quicksilver
Oldsmobile Incas
NSU Trapeze
Nissan NX-21
Citroen Activa Concept
Bizzarini Manta
ItalDesign Medici
Renault Gabbiano
Toyota CX-80
These would stand out on the street even today.

Citroen BX, Citroen XM and Fiat Ritmo, while being regular production cars would also fit the Cyberpunk aesthetic far better then your average American box sedan.

Anyways, I've said my piece.
If someone at CDPR reads it and takes it into account regarding future vehicles - great, if not - fine either way.
SMH, I'm not putting words into your mouth...

You complained about them not taking inspiration from a random list of cars approved by you. I presented images to show otherwise. You also said you want the game designers to be bolder. And again.. it really does look like that's exactly what's happening. Heck.. just look at the 6 wheel extravagant cars. You then moved on to complain about boxy cars, and the kicker... you're ok if the cars are boxy, so long as they are French Citroen, but not American. What kind of a broken argument is that? If anything, an American boxy car, in an American city of California, makes waaaaay more sense the a French Citroen. And on top of that, you keep listing the same 10 cars over and over again... as if your idea about what a car in an alternative universe of the future should look like is the only correct vision. You keep presenting your opinion as if it was a fact. This isn't a conversation... you just complain for no other reason, than just to complain, and as soon as someone presents an opposing view, you move on to complain about something else.

List is not exactly random. It consists of 1970s and 1980s retrofuturistic concept cars that fit into the Cyberpunk aesthetic.
Providing actual examples is easier than trying to describe the vehicle style.

Also, by boxy, I mean this:

Typical 3 box sedan

Opposed to something in this direction:
Lincoln Quicksilver

Oldsmobile Incas

Now, determining "facts" when it comes to style and artistic expression may not be so straight-forward, but most people will agree that the 2 cars on the bottom (which are American by the way) look more futuristic and fitting of Cyberpunk world than the car on the first picture, even with some futuristic gimmicks and a superficial makeover plastered over it.

^^So like this one?

Herrera:

rxs7qrtxzdc51.png

And I see you finally managed to fix the pics above... and yeah, it's clear as day we're not going to agree on anything. You don't even like Dex's car... dang.. that car is perfect, IMO.

You're still presenting arguments from the perspective of "everything needs to look futuristic". If you haven't already, I strongly suggest you pick up World of Cyberpunk. Book is filled with the game lore and the world's history... there's an entire section dedicated to cars alone, including a multi page spreads on boxy cars in particular, and why they are in the game.

Yep, that's more like it.
Herrera looks good.

Dex's car is ok, and definitely the best of the bunch in that post.
It seems like an adaptation of 1970s Cadillac.

However, what I meant is that I would like for more cars to depart from 3 box sedan design, and try something more unconventional. (as per examples featured above)

As for the book, I would consider picking it up if only the shipping to my country didn't cost 50 USD.
So I'll just wait for the game. :)

I'm sure some vehicles will have more variations than others, so don't think we'll get into the hundreds.

Regarding Quadra, we've seen six different kinds so far - the basic Turbo (with no -R, no rear spoiler), Turbo-R V-Tech (Jackie's car), Type-66 (yellow modern-looking one from screenshots), Type-66 "Avenger" (from the street-racing lineup in the Lifepaths trailer), Type-66 "Reaver" (the Wraith gang one) and Type-66 "Nomad". There's a lot of inconsistencies with these models, though.

Like - we've had confirmed on Twitter that the "Reaver" is based on a Type-66, but in The World of Cyberpunk 2077, there's a huge artwork that clearly depicts the Type-66, that the "Reaver" is based on, and it says "Quadra Turbo-R" in huge font...

Maybe the people that made the book, were confused about the models, too. It's probably changed a lot along the way as well, as they've clearly done quite a few passes adjusting the branding and expanding the amount of cars over the development of the game.

I made this little illustration below, which makes the Turbo-R/Type-66 debacle easier to explain. Either the book-guys are wrong, or the Twitter-guys are wrong. :p

Click HERE for the full size.

View attachment 11057228

Nice little illustration there.

I am fairly certain this number should cover also all utility vehicles and cars that the generic populace of the city uses. At least with this wording it should. That cuts down the number that the PLAYER can use, even if we can steal some of this stuff. The point of seeing same models repeatedly, well, it can be bit immersion breaking.
That's a really interesting theory. 29 BASE..... models... meaning like "main important things" while maybe like you said, there could be other vehicles that are available to drive if stolen or borrowed, but they're kinda boring "normal" vehicles but still possible, just nothing you would care to keep intentionally. hmmmmmmm. Really made me think! :)
Post automatically merged:

This might come of as nitpicking but I'm not too happy with the car design either, given what we've seen so far.

The cars are your typical 1980s boxy sedans, hatches, and muscle cars with a futuristic detail here and there.
Nomad player basically drives Lancia Delta Integrale.(which I love btw)
But they don't feel like they belong 50 years into the future.

Now, I understand that hiring car designers to envision and design dozens of futuristic vehicles might have been too expensive. (given the fact that the vehicles are not the focus of the game, but rather background elements)

But CDPR could have gone down a different route:
There is an abundance of wild and awesome retrofuturistic concept cars from the 1970s and 1980s that never made production.
They would fit the cyberpunk aesthetic like a glove while also looking new and original to your average player, given the fact that 99,9% of your audience never saw them.

I posted some of them here:
As much as I would love some of those retro-futuristic cars, I have seen a handful of them in the past but to be honest they all looked like they came from a really cheesy 50's, 60's, or 70's sitcom/science fiction, but the main thing is that they looked incredibly cheesy and cringe. Some of them looked sort of cool, but most of them were total cheese lol. I think that's what the cartoon "futurama" did as intentional satire. whoa guys it's a new car the: "THUNDER COUGAR FALCON BIRD" LOL

We still need to know how many vehicles we can store in the Watson Megabuilding that V resides in.

Multiple apartments and being able to customise that specific megabuilding apartment is not possible anymore so we might be limited to a certain amount of vehicles we can store.

Perhaps they'll give us different garages to store extra vehicles like the Caches in Witcher 3 in the different states (Velen, Novigrad, Kaer Trolde, etc..).

Also you cannot really hijack vehicles without the correct attributes (Body/Techie).
I also worry about vehicle storage considering I'm probably gonna wanna catch em all.

hopefully some of the things do though lol, but more like an 80's spaceship, and less of a 50's, 60's, or 70's space ship.
original trilogy starwars is okay though. I like that look.

List is not exactly random. It consists of 1970s and 1980s retrofuturistic concept cars that fit into the Cyberpunk aesthetic.
Providing actual examples is easier than trying to describe the vehicle style.

Also, by boxy, I mean this:

Typical 3 box sedan

Opposed to something in this direction:
Lincoln Quicksilver

Oldsmobile Incas

Now, determining "facts" when it comes to style and artistic expression may not be so straight-forward, but most people will agree that the 2 cars on the bottom (which are American by the way) look more futuristic and fitting of Cyberpunk world than the car on the first picture, even with some futuristic gimmicks and a superficial makeover plastered over it.
Okay maybe that bottom one looks cool, but in a sort of Cyberpunk/Marspunk/TotalRecall kind of way.

However, what I meant is that I would like for more cars to depart from 3 box sedan design, and try something more unconventional.
I can agree with that

Last edited:
However, what I meant is that I would like for more cars to depart from 3 box sedan design, and try something more unconventional. (as per examples featured above)

Regarding 3 box sedan design, lets not forget that Night City is in the US. They tend to be really big on that sort of design over there.

So far I am happy with the designs they have showed. I don't want this game to look like another generic post-cyberpunk setting. My only worry is the amount of different designs, particularly motorcycles.

I understand why people are upset because cars are a little "off" in terms of futuristic design.

But I don't think that it is such a bad thing when you consider that every car match the "styles" concepts that CDPR are doing with the game (Entropism, Kitsch, Neokitsch and Neomilitarism), and every style is fit for a very specific economic class.

I'm no lore expert, but from what I felt, I have some impressions about the society of NC that I like to share - to explain why there are a lot of "common" cars in NC:

A) Being a little more pessimistic than our real world - Cyberpunk 2077 is a futuristic dystopia, so the majority of population will be very poor. ;

That's why they'll probably fit entropism style - having whatever cars and augment as long as they work (necessity over style) - which is why entropism may be the most seen style in NC (I'm guessing) and the majority of cars will be a little off in terms of style for that reason, so we can be more imersed in this world.

B) Kitsch will probably be the middle class, formed by low tier corpos, gang members, people who doesn't have any real power, influence or money, but they're not as doomed as the poor ones, so they maintain a certain style even without real resources to back it up - just as real life broke middle class people that flirt with bankrupcy to buy things they can't maintain to impress people they don't like as a social defense mechanism, or to seek an opportunity to grow by influence - just like thugs keep some "tough" acting to send the message that they can't be messed up, gaining respect among themselves.

C) Neomilitarism that are the people who have power, influence and money, but aren't really concerned about showing it to the world, as long as their plans are going well, they just don't care, they have nothing to prove and no moral boundaries. They operate by some stoic ways, even if it's cruel. I guess that this class will be formed by top tier corpo and military. Their cars will probably be high tiered, but very discrete.

D) Neokitsch will probably be the high tier artists, rich people and politics, people with influence, money and power enough to set the desired rules, that all society should follow (in their point of view). That's why they'll probably use a Rayfield or some very high profile well designed futuristic cars.

So, based on that personal impressions, I guess that we'll see a lot of low tiered cars in NC, some of middle class tier cars, and rarely something like a Rayfied or Herrera.

We have to remember that in Cyberpunk 2077 there were a lot of corporate wars and economy is not really blooming in NC (Pacifica district as a recent economic failure, for example).

So that's why I find reasonable to don't have a lot of futuristic expensive buildings and cars around NC (depending on the area you're visiting)

Regarding 3 box sedan design, lets not forget that Night City is in the US. They tend to be really big on that sort of design over there.

So far I am happy with the designs they have showed. I don't want this game to look like another generic post-cyberpunk setting. My only worry is the amount of different designs, particularly motorcycles.
It used to be more popular in the US, but it's been a long time since that was the common style. Even the most boring cars in the US in 2020 have more curves than the 3 box sedan design, (let alone in 2077 which we don't know about yet)

Here's my perspectives about this:
+ CONFIRMED: 29 base model "cars"
+ NOT YET CONFIRMED: numbers of other vehicles, like Aerodyne, bikes, maritime vehicles, possible mechs, non driveable vehicles, etc.
+ Let's just so hypothetically both Aerodyne, bikes, & other vehicles (maritime + mech + non driveable) are all 29 "base" models by each.

SO we might have approx. 116 base models of vehicles, more or less, still not include the "countless" variants.

+ Let's just say these variants are minimally diversify into 3 distinct variants (Nomad, Street Kid, & Corpo variants). So we basically might have minimum approx. "464 models of vehicles" (116 base + 348 variants). This not even include possible variants of colors & maybe some other stuffs.
+ These numbers ARE A LOT compare to other games, even compare to some actual cars games standard. It could be a lot less, but it could also be a lot more as it really depend on what CDPR are saying with this "countless variants."
+ Bear in mind, it kinda confirmed that even nomad sets actually DID HAVE sub variants with the wraith gang & the Aldecaldos gang paint jobs! Nomad gangs are also still plenty. Imagine the "Street Kid" variants with the NC gangs paint jobs!!

Top Bottom