PC vs. Consoles

+
I have been a PC gamer, Bought a PS2 to keep my nephew entertained while he was over and I was working on this. PS2 finally broke, so PC only again, bought PS3, won't play the PS2 stuff. I got Assassin's Creed for the PS3, looks good on the 42" HDTV, but I wish I had bought the PC version as I think it would play better on the PC format. I do like the PS3, but I will never abandon PC games as some are more suited for playing on the PC such as Oblivion ( which I have installed). The way I see it, I like the freedom of mutiple formats to play my games as I am currently playing, "Uncharted: Drakes Fortune" on the PS3. coastie65

I don't like PC and windows because of the hassle but I play almost only on computer and mainly on PC. The reason are:* All console target younger players.* All console put much more focus on some action games I don't like play anymore like sports, arcade, shooters.* I don't like console controllers.* For many games the mouse+keyboard combo make me feel much more comfortable.* No console have a significant set of games I'd like to play and that that I don't have on PC or will not have on PC.* Past experience in console always end bad like the PSX and more recently the wii just because I realized I couldn't find game like I want.For me the game offering is very different on consoles than in PC but I wonder why no console have a similar target than on PC.A possible explanation if that the games I tend to prefer don't aim a target public enough big. And for financial reasons it's hard to aim any console with game like that except for a later release after the game have prove it could earn money enough. But this will be then a release many years after the PC release and this won't promote the console. Also there are quite many games I enjoyed a lot to play but that wasn't top game so will never be released on any console. I don't have many example but a short list could be Majesty, Gothic 1, Gothic 2 + NOTR, Divine Divinity, Neverwinter Night 2, Mask of the Betrayer, Arx Fatalis, Civilization IV, Dungeon Lords, Temple of Elemental Evil, ADOM, Fallout 1, not to mention playing old CRPG through the DosBox and The Witcher.It's not a lot of game but I don't play many and that's quite significant games in my own gaming world. No console could compete with that and from far.

Serdinq said:
. Also there are quite many games I enjoyed a lot to play but that wasn't top game so will never be released on any console. I don't have many example but a short list could be ........ Arx Fatalis, ......
Always glad to see another gamer that had played Arx Fatallis :beer:But you do know that Arx was released on the xbox too.I don't know if it was better or no that the PC version because I havent played it on the xbox,but judging after Dark Messiah I think that the PC version was the best.Some games should be played only on PC and others only on Consoles.

Valine said:
Firstly, you must remember that consoles are often running at a fixed FPS at a lower resolution. Secondly, the "next generation" consoles are nowhere near the next-generation of PCs in terms of technology - you're comparing an apple and an orange. ;)
I have to contradict you there.First we aren't talking anymore about nex-gen consoles and games.They now are curent-gen.So the curent-gen consoles are not that weak compared with the actual PC generation.And in the regards of the CPU both the 360 and the PS3 beats the PC.And the PS3 Cell processor beats the PC by far.Let's not mention the blu-ray.Right now the console dictates the gaming industry(and it always was like that),but sadly there are the consoles like the Wii and the DS that stop games to become better with their arcade games that are cheaper and sell better.

AmShaegar said:
but sadly there are the consoles like the Wii and the DS that stop games to become better with their arcade games that are cheaper and sell better.
who judges what is better? better in your eyes?for me any new game that tries new ideas in gaming and entertainment in general is far better that any FIFA 14 or CoD13 or Far Cry 7

LicaonKter said:
for me any new game that tries new ideas in gaming and entertainment in general is far better that any FIFA 14 or CoD13 or Far Cry 7
What new ideas? :whatthe: :hmmm:!Those games,the wii and DS ones are not bringing anything new to the industry,they are not making the industry to move forward,they are bringing the industry down!

AmShaegar said:
Those games,the wii and DS ones are not bringing anything new to the industry,they are not making the industry to move forward,they are bringing the ndustry down!
how? what PC game innovation did you see lately?

LicaonKter said:
how? what PC game innovation did you see lately?
What innovations?Well Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is one of the biggest innovation of this decade.I dont see on the Wii such kind of games now do I.

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
Well Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is one of the biggest innovation of this decade.
the combat looked fun, but it brought nothing new just an action RPG at most
WOW I see many things happened since I last posted here :D But something sparks my interest...and that is the name of Dark Messiah,a game that like it's predecessor,Arx Fatalis, is way too underrated!Looked fun? You mean you didn't play the game? Brought nothing new? Are you serious? I hope not...because you make a fool of yourself if you are;) Shooting with a bow will never be the same after you'll play Dark Messiah!The same thing goes for the sword! And don't you tell me about that piece of garbage of Oblivion! Dark Messiah is the ******!Just an action RPG at most? Cut the bullshit,will ya? If is just an action RPG it's the best one i've seen so far and until you'll show me another game better than Dark Messiah don't you dare say it didn't bring anything new! :mad:

FreddyKrueger said:
WOW I see many things happened since I last posted here :D But something sparks my interest...and that is the name of Dark Messiah,a game that like it's predecessor,Arx Fatalis, is way too underrated!Looked fun? You mean you didn't play the game? Brought nothing new? Are you serious? I hope not...because you make a fool of yourself if you are;) Shooting with a bow will never be the same after you'll play Dark Messiah!The same thing goes for the sword! And don't you tell me about that piece of garbage of Oblivion! Dark Messiah is the ******!Just an action RPG at most? Cut the bullshit,will ya? If is just an action RPG it's the best one i've seen so far and until you'll show me another game better than Dark Messiah don't you dare say it didn't bring anything new! :mad:
if it had a demo i've played itMorrowind had bows shooting, fun, yes :)what else?

LicaonKter said:
if it had a demo i've played itMorrowind had bows shooting, fun, yes :)what else?
Now what did I tell you?...you're being ignorant! How can you even compare the shooting physics from Morrowind with those from Dark Messiah?Dark Messiah is a state of the art when it comes to these details,when it comes to the immersion of the player! It's clear you don't have a clue about what I'm talking.It's clear you haven't played the game and it's clear you can't appreciate a game.Oh you still haven't told me a game better than Dark Messiah;)And btw you tell me what game has brought innovation! to this "wonderful" world of gaming!

FreddyKrueger said:
Now what did I tell you?...you're being ignorant!
since we are talking in terms that are under the judgement of humans, there is no ONE TRUE answer, like in music, painture, movies, etcso, if you enjoyed that game, good for you, I'll not call you an ignorant if you did not liked Morrowind or whatever other game that I enjoyed ;)

Valine said:
Valine said:
Yeah, Dragon Age does show promise...
I would beg to disagree, and, yes, I am a PC only gamer... :p
Quoted for truth. I was all excited about Dragon Age until I found out it will have friendly fire. Single player games don't need friendly fire.

LicaonKter said:
the combat looked fun, but it brought nothing new just an action RPG at most
I'm a little bit late...but the combat doesn't just look fun,it is unique.There is no other game out there that can match this kind of combat.At first person melee combat Arkane and their game Dark Messiah are kings.They have no rivals.Other than that the full body awarness that was never seen in a game before made it more unique,and gave you a good immersive feeling,the high attention to details,the high interactivity with the enviroment that again no game have done it before,the countless ways that you could kill your enemies, the physics of the game and so on made it one of a kind!And you are telling me that it brought nothing new?Is not just an action RPG....is the best action RPG of all time.But we are driving away from our discussion.On the PC there will allways be improvements and things evolve from one year to the other....but lately games did not innovate as they did 2 or 3 years ago.I mean where are the days when 5 months between games was a huge gap?You needed to buy a new PC to play the new games,the graphics allways went from better to better etc.But now...Crysis is out for an year and there still isn't a game that has better graphics than it.Why? Why?The consoles and especially the WII play a major part in all of this.

AmShaegar said:
But now...Crysis is out for an year and there still isn't a game that has better graphics than it.
why better graphics, why not better gameplay? that's the problem, the hardware manufacturers are sponsoring these NEXT GEN-buy-our-new-video-card games, the game devs are more concerned whether the water has enough polys or shaders, not if the game is fun to play not only fun to look at

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
But now...Crysis is out for an year and there still isn't a game that has better graphics than it.
why better graphics, why not better gameplay? that's the problem, the hardware manufacturers are sponsoring these NEXT GEN-buy-our-new-video-card games, the game devs are more concerned whether the water has enough polys or shaders, not if the game is fun to play not only fun to look at
I was giving the graphics just as an example.An example that things are not evolving like they did 3 years ago.What I say is that we need to keep pushing the limits of the gaming industry.I mean how many original games have you seen in the past 2 years?Very few.The actual game concept becomes borring and old.What we need is something to change the way we see and play games and the whole game concept that would really bring them to the next gen.And I'm not talking here just about graphics and gameplay.The actual concept is the same for all games.Go thereDo that Get the reward And finish.We need something revolutinary.And about the graphics,for me the real nextgen graphics will come when the game will look and move and feel(I mean the animations too) like the latest CGI from Blizzard that is the trailer of the Lich King.

Even though consoles make gaming more accessible, in my experience I find that pc games are always more complex and generally more interesting.Gaming got me into computers when I was a little kid -- and played arcade game, and the first rpg's. Oh prince of persia! :p

So, what do you think about this?http://www.gamespot.com/features/6206623/index.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=picks&tag=picks;title;1http://pc.ign.com/articles/965/965535p1.html

Top Bottom