Physical vs. Digital Version Differences

+
Physical vs. Digital Version Differences

After reading the rule book for the physical version, I noted the following differences between the content of that rule book and the digital version's implementation of these rules:

1. In the physical version, there is no Travel and Fast Travel action; there's only the Travel action. That in and of itself is not an issue, since you can take the equivalent of the Fast Travel action in the physical version. The issue is when you have to place a Foul Fate token on the Travel action. A Foul Fate token on the Travel action in the physical version means it must be resolved before the Travel (or equivalent to Fast Travel action) can be taken. In the digital version, a Foul Fate token placed on the Travel action does not also place one on the Fast Travel action, and vice-versa.

2. Per the rule book, when you take an action that has a Foul Fate token on it, you must first resolve the Foul Fate token before you're allowed to resolve the action. In the digital version, you resolve the action first and then the Foul Fate token, which makes the game easier.

3. In the digital version, when you acquire enough Lead tokens, the game automatically converts them to Proof tokens. In the physical version, you're not allowed to convert Proof tokens back into Lead tokens. Because of this, you may not want to convert Lead to Proof tokens, even though you have the required number. (I'm currently not aware of any scenarios in which you'd want to convert Lead tokens into Proof tokens prior to turning them in, so this may not be an issue.)

4. Trading Resources is not implemented in the digital version. I can understand this for SP, but it's a head-scratching omission for MP.

I'd really appreciate the developer chiming in on these issues, particularly (1.) and (2.). Will they be fixed to comply with the rules? It should be noted that the digital version's Rules section was taken verbatim from the physical version's rule book, so the digital version doesn't even comply with its own Rules section.

(I'm currently not aware of any scenarios in which you'd want to convert Lead tokens into Proof tokens prior to turning them in, so this may not be an issue.)
But this is an issue. As long as proofs can't be exchanged back to leads, they are protected from any "bad luck" that forces the player to spend leads.

There is the interesting choice in the board game:
* to convert leads to proof and protect your hero progress, or
* to leave them as leads so you can lose them anytime, but also you may spend them to "support" your rivals in case of opportunity.

The digital version missed it completely.

---------- Updated at 08:40 AM ----------

There is one more big difference between board an digital versions that wastes the fun of playing digital:
While taking a choice in the digital game, the player can't examine the game state. That may lead to wrong decision easily. The board version is obviously free from such a limitation.

An option to "minimise" the choice screen temporaly to examine the game state can resolve the trouble.

Thanks for your input, and I agree with being able to examine the game state (at all times, IMO), which should be a design principle for all digital boardgames. Unfortunately, our feedback is being ignored by the devs on multiple forums, which is a shame.

What do you think of the other differences I noted? 1 and 2 are the most egregious, IMO.

Well, i think 1 and 2 things are bad, but their impact to the gameplay is far less than the nasty "Teleport cheat".

About 4, i think that trading resources may have high potential for abusement in public online play, so its absence is appropriate for me.

In digital version, Triss can acquire two leads in one travel action using the Teleport spell. You can learn the details in the thread i started here today.

If only this bug will be fixed, i will be happy with the game in its current state.

Last edited:
Top Bottom