Physics different at 30/60FPS (especially hair physics)

+
As discussed in two threads before, the hair physics (for both non-HW and for HW) are different depending on the framerate of the game. However, those two threads pretty much went nowhere, so I'm bringing this up again because it bothers me. Who knows, maybe I'm not the only one.

For non-HW, it seems to me that 30FPS was the intended way it should work, and anything higher would lessen the hair bounce "physics".
For HW, 60FPS is seemingly the intended way since HW looks really odd at 30FPS, with extremely exaggerated hair bounce that looks out of place (at least on Geralt, not so much on animals/creatures where it actually looks quite good when the fur bounces a bit, such as Roach and the Griffin trophy). I guess because HW is a high-end enthusiast feature anyway, they chose to fix HW physics at 60FPS. Or maybe there's no rhyme and reason to it, who knows.

This is 100% reproducable, it's not a bug (well, officially), but it is a technical flaw of the game. Just cap your framerate at 60 and then at 30 and compare the way hair behaves. The best way to see it is when walking uphill (hair will bounce side to side at 30fps, but not at 60), or on horseback when riding at slow speed (analog stick fully tilted).

By the way: I managed to find a download link for the "Hairbang" mod/feature by Essenthy, which was apparently included in STLM from what I read.
I tried this Hairbang mod, and it does indeed add some bounce to the hair, but the wrong kind of bounce. It's not actual movement of the hair owing to inertia from bodily motion, but it's just vertical bounce that doesn't look too good without the inertia bounce to go along with it.

Are we really supposed to choose between proper hair physics and and a proper framerate? I got great PC, I don't wanna play at 30FPS. It's ridiculous to think that someone on a PS4 has a more accurate version of Witcher 3 than I do, unless I choose to play at the absolute bare minimum of framerates.

My question to the more tech-skilled people on here would be: Is there any way - like at all - of fixing or improving this to get specifically the non-HW hair to behave at 60FPS more like it would at 30FPS? Or is it plain technically impossible?

If you guys are interested, here is a "as good as it gets right now" fix:
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3168

Last edited:
Since the "Hairbang" mod by essenthy does add some bouncing and movement to the hair, to me that indicates that it would indeed be possible to add more "physics" to the hair at 60fps. Of course at 30fps it would then be way too much, but at 60 it would probably be just fine.

I play at 30fps owing to lack of gpu power (480) and an unsatisfying need to push the game as far as possible graphically. So cheers i didn't really notice it until now haha.

I own the game since two years and have completed it with hw and without hw, but always with 60 fps. Recently played it in a ps4 and noticed that Geralt's hair was actually bouncing in interiors or when there was no wind. It bothers me a little that a 5 years old console offers a better witcher experience than my PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom