Physx in The Witcher 3 next gen update will not be fixed?

+
That way we will never be able to enjoy The Witcher 3 in its full glory above 30 FPS...

Even in a year or two, after the next gen release, when we revisit the game with even better hardware, there will be no way to play the "next gen" version with more than 30 FPS without broken physics. This is so unfortunate, because for me it was THE main reason to hold of and wait for the next gen release.

Currently if you play e.g. with 120 FPS the hair, clothes, fur, medallions etc. are behaving like cardboard. And it seems this will also be the case in the next gen update.

Will this Problem ever be tackled?

If you don't know what am I talking about please try locking the current gen game to 30 FPS, watch the hair, clothes etc. and then unlock the FPS and see the difference. As higher the FPS as stiffer everything physics based will be.

Last edited:
Real
This affects all types of cloth like robes, flags, banners etc. Also Geralt's medallion, hair and of course the same goes for every NPC including Roach. Would be really nice if CDPR would fix it
Post automatically merged:

@nolankotulan

Last edited:
Well, I simply disagree, unless you can show me some convincing comparison videos, which I searched and didn't find.

I don't see anything wrong with the physics at higher than 30 FPS. It's quite the opposite way, higher the FPS, better calculated and rendered the physics are in my opinion.

I just tested it right now on my PC (I play on Series X nowadays, but I have a more than capable Razer Blade laptop), Hairworks disabled, and it only reinforced my opinion. The way things move and bounce at 30 FPS, mostly the hair just by walking for example, is just over the top, off and ridiculous from my point of view. I mean, it's OK, it doesn't bother me, but if we have to talk about it, that's my opinion, it's too much.

I don't think there is anything to fix and neither that it is even possible to fix. It's just how it works. At least, how this engine works (as well as many others which have the physics tied to the framerate). As you may have read in the mod's description, the one you linked which is supposed to "fix" this matter:

It's meant for 60FPS. At lower framerates, the physics will be exaggerated.

So here it is: parameters have already been set by the devs so that the physics render more or less "correctly" across the most common FPS range, the 30 FPS being already on the edge of being, I quote the mod's author, exaggerated. Because as soon as you make the 60 FPS more like you think is right, anything below appears broken. So devs had to find a middle ground.

My two cents, I'don't pretend being an expert, of course.

Last edited:
Well, I simply disagree, unless you can show me some convincing comparison videos, which I searched and didn't find.

I don't see anything wrong with the physics at higher than 30 FPS. It's quite the opposite way, higher the FPS, better calculated and rendered the physics are in my opinion.

I just tested it right now on my PC (I play on Series X nowadays, but I have a more than capable Razer Blade laptop), Hairworks disabled, and it only reinforced my opinion. The way things move and bounce at 30 FPS, mostly the hair just by walking for example, is just over the top, off and ridiculous from my point of view.

I don't think there is anything to fix and neither that it is even possible to fix. It's just how it works. At least, how this engine works (as well as many others which have the physics tied to the framerate). As you may have read in the mod's description, the one you linked which is supposed to "fix" this matter:

So here it is: parameters have already been set by the devs so that the physics render correctly across the most common FPS range, the 30 FPS being already on the edge of being, I quote the mod's author, exaggerated. Because as soon as you make the 60 FPS more like you think is right, anything below appears broken. So devs had to find a middle ground.

My two cents, I'don't pretend being an expert, of course.
Fair point. I don't mean that the physics are completely broken or anything at 60 FPS they are completely fine, just not as good as the 30 FPS in my opinion, which i believe were the base and intention of the developer, which is why 60 FPS physics feel more dull and compromised for me in this game. After all it's no secret that W3 is more of a console game rather than a PC game which is exactly the opposite case for what W2 was. I don't claim to be an expert either.
Respect

I know you don't pretend to be an expert either. You speak well, with respect, indeed, and without an ounce of arrogance or whatever despite our disagreement. It's pleasant. I don't mean to say people here aren't, civilized. But on the internet, sometimes, well... you know.

And I say that knowing that I myself may sound (or even be) a little bit arrogant sometimes, so, you know...

I try to prevent misunderstandings. And to correct myself.

All in all, here, I guess it's mostly a matter of preferences and appreciation.

Last edited:
I know you don't pretend to be an expert either. You speak well, with respect, indeed, and without an ounce of arrogance or whatever despite our disagreement. It's pleasant. I don't mean to say people here aren't, civilized. But on the internet, sometimes, well... you know.

And I say that knowing that I myself may sound (or even be) a little bit arrogant sometimes, so, you know...

I try to prevent misunderstandings. And to correct myself.

All in all, here, I guess it's mostly a matter of preferences and appreciation.
No worries. You are right maybe at the end of the day it's just a matter of preference

Last edited:
Top Bottom