Pillars of Eternity

+
M4xw0lf said:
Damn them! And damn those incompetent critics.

Well, Bethesda was actually quite pleased Obsid didn't get 85 - it means they didn't have to pay the bonus in the contract (>85 Flat fee + Bonus,

it'll probably look as shitty as this(or any other obsidian product, really):

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news-700/Obsidian-Game-Director-Releases-Mod-for-Fallout-New-Vegas.jpg

seamusgod said:
it'll probably look as shitty as this(or any other obsidian product, really):

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news-700/Obsidian-Game-Director-Releases-Mod-for-Fallout-New-Vegas.jpg

That's sarcasm, right?

If Obsidian plans to release an old-school RPG a-la Infinity Engine but with more modern visual features (like camera rotate and zoom-in) they can have my money NOW!

Edit: Did you guys notice this? It seems like it must be "Eternity" as others have speculated.

Volsung said:
That's sarcasm, right?

If Obsidian plans to release an old-school RPG a-la Infinity Engine but with more modern visual features (like camera rotate and zoom-in) they can have my money NOW!

Edit: Did you guys notice this? It seems like it must be "Eternity" as others have speculated.
Yeah a lot of people speculated the eternity thing on the obsidian forums. Though a lot of people were saying Infinity instead but I think that was a past version. Though that means that more then just the hidden line should be looked at in the source code.

Eternity = Planescape:Torment sequel/continuation?

Anyway, as much as I would love to play PS:T successor, it bothers me more and more how the industry taken on our sentiments and nostalgia for the "good old days" (ang good old games). News about planned remakes, sequels, HDs of older games are popping up almost every week now.

Older gamers will buy these games out of pure sentiment and young ones that never played the originals will buy them too, caught in the hype and "teaching of the elders".

But of course, if there's demand, there's also supply. I wish all those great developers and visionaries from the past concentrated on creating new IPs though. That's what would push gaming forward. So far it all looks a bit like this "Damn, we haven't made too much moniez lately as we didn't release any big hit since '94, so let's get on the nostalgia train and make a sequel/remake/HD. Time to call the other guys from our past team, see if they're still alive and want to reunite".

Also, interesting article about retro gaming: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-12-crippled-by-nostalgia-the-fraud-of-retro-gaming

gregski said:
Also, interesting article about retro gaming: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-12-crippled-by-nostalgia-the-fraud-of-retro-gaming

Interesting, but I think it misses a major point entirely and waffles on about 'nostalgia' and 'recapturing youth' - not overly surprising as he focuses on old 'consoles' and thinks the "all-singing, all-dancing Xbox 360" is cutting edge.

Maybe the reason publishers and gamers are 'going retro' is because 80%-90% of releases today are pure generic crap.

You have MMOs shamelessly ripping each other off, latest releases being "Space Marine shooter XXXVI", plotlines which make a Mills & Boon novel look deep, characters which have less dimension than a singularity, and endless multiplayer modes to cover up lack of substance.

Publishers seem to have a dearth of original ideas and thus are rummaging through their old IPs to make a buck, while players are pining for a game more sophisticated than "Derp, shoot man with gun".

The downside to relaunching older games is that there is only so much to 'bring back', and then of course you have clueless berks from marketing focus groups 'moderninizing' the games resulting in the same sludge that modern games are at. So they just delay the inevitable stagnation for a bit.

The upside is that GoG is probably going to have to build a Scrooge McDuck money bin soon.

Guest 2091327

What the hell is it with this "IP" sickness? It's called a game. Just because some corporate lawyers start using words they think are fancy doesn't mean we should co-opt their vocabulary.

Other than that rant, I agree with what you say, and loved the quip about singularity :D

Just one more day people. Obsidian's website has been updated.

"This world wants to drag us down, it does. It made you a Watcher. No one asks for that. And the weight, that guilt they want to hang around my neck, you don't have to carry it one more step. You think they won't let you rest, but it's not up to them. It never was."

Also hidden in the source code.

Ok it's finally unveiled. THE OBSIDIAN KICKSTARTER!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity
God I need to find some way to get money.

Well that's my spare cash blown for this month, guess i'll have to cut back on me drinking. What's sobriety like, it's been a few years.

Here comes the party crasher..

I just can't shake my reticence about kick starter, although a reputable company like Obsidian using it seems legit. The cynic in me wonders if this return to old school isometric is as much a budget driven decision as it is nostalgia. And traditional fantasy...why? Why not something different? Lots of talk about mature content these days too. I wonder who started that craze. If I'm being an ass here feel free to tell me so. And despite all this I might just donate on principle.

Reasonable questions Slim, even a wildly successful Kickstarter probably wouldn't give them the dosh to produce a modern spangly 3d game such as Assassins of Kings. These guys are known for having a somewhat unique take on traditional fantasy, they like to think about the implications of what magic and such mean in a reactive setting, that's what has me so excited. A masterpiece such as the Witchers, Torment or Arcanum in the offing once more.

slimgrin said:
Here comes the party crasher..

I just can't shake my reticence about kick starter, although a reputable company like Obsidian using it seems legit. The cynic in me wonders if this return to old school isometric is as much a budget driven decision as it is nostalgia. And traditional fantasy...why? Why not something different? Lots of talk about mature content these days too. I wonder who started that craze. If I'm being an ass here feel free to tell me so. And despite all this I might just donate on principle.
Don't worry slim you aren't being an ass. A quick note they just said fantasy and considering that Planescape Torment technically is fantasy as well this could be very different than the norm. I think I might ask them how they are planning to differentiate themselves from the standard fantasy fare in the FAQ section at the bottom.

Another isometric "tactical" game. A piece of trash from my perspective and I expect people to bitch at me for that.

As much as I like the excellent writing provided by Avellone and his team I will not back or buy this just like I didn't back Wasteland 2 nor am I planning to buy it.

Fantasy setting...triple meh, I hope they go for PS:T type of thing at least.

And reading that I can get a BOXED GAME with a CLOTH MAP and a BADGE for just 140$ is funny (looks at Witcher 2 retail copy for 20 EUR). Yeah, wow.

As much as I look forward to this project, I really can't help the feeling that the "creative minds" as they advertise themselves are just jumping on the nostalgia train, flashing all those "Icewind Dales", "Baldur's Gates" and "Planescapes" in our eyes.

Isometric, "tactical" combat doesn't sound too attractive for me anymore, but as long as there's decent story, exploration and c&c I won't mind it.

Sounding sceptical, I know, nevertheless I wish them good luck and look forward to the game.

gregski said:
And reading that I can get a BOXED GAME with a CLOTH MAP and a BADGE for just 140$ is funny (looks at Witcher 2 retail copy for 20 EUR). Yeah, wow.
I find it hilarious that you can pledge $10 000 and they still ask for an additional $30 for international shipping.

Dona said:
I find it hilarious that you can pledge $10 000 and they still ask for an additional $30 for international shipping.

Nor is the bonus content nearly as good as the copy of TW2 on GoG, which is a whopping $29. Still, I hope the game turns out well. Anything to show the fat suits in the industry that a dev free from publisher constraint can succeed.

Top Bottom