Pillars of Eternity

+
Does look nice, especially the enviroments of that second city. Trolls look a bit generic though, then again i'm used to the distinctive Witcher ones now.

First teaser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKoDTzea79Y

Not much to see tbh and I have a feeling it will get delayed.

I meant the game footage, not the trailer.

EDIT: There's RPS article about it: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/10/mega-impressions-obsidians-pillars-of-eternity/#more-179401

It's impossible to judge a cRPG by a few combat animations. This is just meant to show they have been hard at work on the game.

More than uninspired, I'd say Pillars of Eternity is sticking to a known formula, that cRPG players grew to love and that proved to be effective and quite practical. But the real game lies beyond the combat and the graphics and animations, and that is what remains to be seen. I however expect Obsidian to do a great job. Look at what they did with Bethesda's shitty engine for Fallout New Vegas.

In any case, this doesn't reveal much about the game. About as much as an illustration and a cover can tell about a novel. So we'll have to wait. But you know what? I actually liked what I saw.

Volsung said:
It's impossible to judge a cRPG by a few combat animations. This is just meant to show they have been hard at work on the game.

More than uninspired, I'd say Pillars of Eternity is sticking to a known formula, that cRPG players grew to love and that proved to be effective and quite practical. But the real game lies beyond the combat and the graphics and animations, and that is what remains to be seen. I however expect Obsidian to do a great job. Look at what they did with Bethesda's shitty engine for Fallout New Vegas.

In any case, this doesn't reveal much about the game. About as much as an illustration and a cover can tell about a novel. So we'll have to wait. But you know what? I actually liked what I saw.

So did I. Some of the locations look fantastic! What we heard and read about their new universe sounds intriguing - and very close to that thin red line between familiar fantasy and new elements to make it interesting. And I really think they captured the look and feel of IE games.

Graphics as a whole don't exactly seem to be state-of-the-art - but that was expected and I couldn't care less: it's modern enough to look good and getting the cRPG part right is what is important.

Basically what Aaden said. Also it reminds me a bit of TOEE, which is no bad thing in and of itself, hopefully under the crispy surface we'll have a nice chewy centre full of weird existentialism and strange philosophies. The usual Obsidian stuff, and the great characters and clashes that always occur in their games.

It's so fucking beautiful cheers Jack, finally somebody takes a stand for what is right. And from reading the forum post about it at Obsidian much butthurt has been harvested, i'm expecting the romancers to start shedding tears before bedtime. I salute the lads and lasses who are taking the piss in that thread, I assume it's Codex, damn good trolling.

In that link somebody wrote: "I don't understand why Obsidian won't add something everybody wants" or something like that. And that sums it all up. They're trying to make a game here, not Dragon Age II.

Now bring on the dark magic.

Haven´t seen anyone talking about this, so I thought I might as well share it here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ing-pillars-of-eternity-obsidians-explanation

Personally, I think it´s good they can ditch some work that normally goes to a publisher in order to focus in the development of the game. And I like Paradox as a publisher as well.
However, I do understand if some people who backed the game are a bit disappointed.

Last edited:
I really like it in the beginning - peaceful, yet a bit sad at times. But I have no idea what is happening from 1:50 onward. Too loud, too threatening, maybe too epic for a village background theme. Maybe it's a lack of context and in the game stuff will actually happen that justifies this. But even then, the contrast between the first and second half is too stark, considering that it's a single track that should fit the same situation (and thus convey the same mood) beginning to end.

Very interesting update though. Insights into a creative process are awesome. Turning the chaos of creativity into a controllable, ordered process is hard and a very personal thing - seeing someone's approach can be inspiring and it's always a good chance to learn something for yourself.

Last edited:
It's so fucking beautiful cheers Jack, finally somebody takes a stand for what is right. And from reading the forum post about it at Obsidian much butthurt has been harvested, i'm expecting the romancers to start shedding tears before bedtime. I salute the lads and lasses who are taking the piss in that thread, I assume it's Codex, damn good trolling.

*brofist*

I was really disappointed when Larian confirmed romances in Divinity: OS, good thing Obsidian isn't going down that horrible path, after all, romance in RPGs is what led to the rise of Bioware Social.

Last edited:
There has always been romance in Obsidian games. For example Kotor II: Exile and Visas or Handmaiden (never played female, but I suspect Atton was also available ;) ).

Top Bottom