Players can play the entire game without killing an enemy if you wish -- HOLY CRAP!!!

+
Wow indeed, they have changed their style from Witcher 3 for sure., I thought they would be happy with 93 metracritic game. But yeah I think its going to be fun to replay the game with this, I love sneaking games, so I see 2 playthrough here.
You have such a bizarre mind, Cyberway. But it's neat. You are always looking for the business "angle" of a decision.

You can use perk points earned on level-ups to upgrade a number of categories: blades, rifles, handguns, assassination, cold-blood, sniper rifles, engineering, hacking, shotgun melee, two-handed, and maybe one more I didn't have time to write down. The level-up skill tree is a branching thing that looks like a motherboard almost, with cables going out from the center. (Shotgun melee??? WTF - so you need both "sniper rifle" and "assassination" for one shot kills?)
I think there's a comma missing between shotgun and melee. PC world gave another description.
You've got options. We took a quick look at the perk tree, which is vast and complicated—twelve sections, I think, each with six or seven perks. Most are standard, like hacking, assassination, sniper rifles, engineering, and so on. I think I saw "Cold Blood" though? No idea what that means. It's also beautiful, with a pseudo-motherboard look to it. Entirely impractical for a mouse and keyboard I think, but beautiful.

Entirely impractical for a mouse and keyboard I think, but beautiful.
Does this make any sense to anyone?
Why would a selection menu be impractical for mouse and keyboard?

The game appears to be way closer to Deus Ex than I anticipated. Which is good.

If Witcher was open world Mass Effect, CP is open world DX.

Sounds like the perk chart in Fallout 4.
Does this make any sense to anyone?
Why would a selection menu be impractical for mouse and keyboard?

Sounds like the perk chart in Fallout 4. Progression seems to work similiarly too with stats gating perk advancement.

Not too happy about it.

Sounds like the perk chart in Fallout 4. Progression seems to work similiarly too with stats gating perk advancement.
Not sure if it's tied to specific minimum scores in specific stats (it may be). But yeah, seems to be a perk rather then a skill system.

You must take 'A' before you can take 'B', and apparently you need skill in a specific weapon type to use it. IRL I've only ever fired an SMG once in my life (a Sten gun in the 70's) but give me any SMG in the world and a couple minutes to locate the safety, mag release, and get a rough feel for it an I'll bet you I can use it.

And I have no clue how firing a revolver is different from firing a semiauto handgun. Reloading is different, but firing? And the reload method ONLY effects sustained rate-of-fire.

(( Have I mentioned how much I hate common shooter game tropes. ))

Well, it seems it'll require some kind of inputs to be entered in a time limit. So half puzzle, half QTE. However, skill of the character might play an important part. In Bioshock, having better hacking skill gave you a lot more time and also simplified the puzzle itself. That might make it more enjoyable/authentic for you, perhaps?

No, it sounds exactly like the hacking minigames in GTA5 and Shadowrun:Hong Kong, which are essentially puzzles with a time limit.

They mentioned that the hacking minigame gives you sort of bonus for doing well, kind of like unlocking data storages in Deus Ex hacking minigame.
They mentioned there exist also quick hacking.
While its theoretically a good thing that such an option exists for those who dont like puzzles to skip this part, what I worry now is that the bonuses gained from "doing well" in the minigame aren't worth the effort. So you would just choose "quick hacking" always... Because the minigame is always possible to fail entirely, it becomes a question of risk vs reward. Obviously just holding button to hack isn't going to grant you any bonuses hidden within.

Not sure if it's tied to specific minimum scores in specific stats (it may be). But yeah, seems to be a perk rather then a skill system.

The minutes implied that your stats bottleneck the perks somehow. (similarly to shadowrun)
https://nordic.ign.com/xbox-one-gam...after-cyberpunk-2077s-50-minute-gameplay-demo
attributes 1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still digesting much of ... all this info that's coming out of E3 and there's alot in this thread that leaves me apprehensive.

I've said it many times before in other discussions that levels in games as a metric for advancement are getting to show their age. Pen and paper Cyberpunk was ahead of its time in that respect.
Translating a system without numbered level advancement into a computer game like this would certainly have challenges, but, in many ways a system without levels could have interesting role-playing benefits regarding your character's perception of those you encounter in the game. If, for instance, you're a physically weak character, that might emphasize non-physical, stealth, or conversational solutions, where if your character is built physically strong, your character's perception may emphasize everyone else as weak ... and your character might have to learn some lessons the hard way.
With little magic numbers floating over heads, that entire mystique or character perception is trashed.
Oh, they might LOOK strong, but, the number over their head says they're level 2 and I'm level 10, so, no worries.
The same goes for the other disparity where your character encounters numbers well above theirs. It's a level gating, and it's a buzz kill.

It's a design that takes away from looking at the game itself, gets you looking at little magic numbers, and from that you base your sense of confidence for doing the thing, whatever the thing is.

... but, how does all this play into STEALTH, and doing a no-kill play through?

Well, there's THIS nonsense -

... I mean, LEVELS. It's so ludicrous at this point there's people making youtube comedy about it.

How are you going to knock people out, you can't even one-shot kill while they're sleeping? ... or, if for some reason you CAN, then that begs the question why you might not be able to instakill them ... because levels?
It's not really an open world game if you're really only "allowed" to go places and do things within your "LEVEL". Stray from the garden path you're getting your little hand held to follow, and oops, you can fire an anti-tank weapon point blank into the face of someone that's already dead, but if they're too many levels above you, suddenly they'll be upset with you for disturbing them with your annoying tickles.

ugh.

There are certainly ways this can get got fixed. All NPCs could exist in a narrow range of levels around the character where the enemies that are suppose to be tough will always be a couple levels higher, while some enemy types can eventually be surpassed, but, no one is ever 10 levels weaker than your character. They still scale with you, so they can hurt you if you're lazy and don't pay attention, just like any kid can walk up to and cap the toughest hairiest muscled up super thug in the dome, and he'll drop.

This is, of course, a video game, and no one actually expects it to be lifelike realistic. It wouldn't really be much of an escape if there weren't some little bit of overpowered, fantasy fun to it.

All in all, it's a tricky problem to address, and, however CDPR works it out, we'll see eventually come April 2020.
I wish I had elegant answers and solutions to implement a system without any numbered levels as a metric, but, I don't. If when the game comes out and I don't agree with the implementation, I'll do what I usually do, and wait for the modding community to come up with a solution that ... "works" though it might not be elegant, but, less clunky than the systems we've already seen.

Time will tell. :)

No, it sounds exactly like the hacking minigames in GTA5 and Shadowrun:Hong Kong, which are essentially puzzles with a time limit.

Sorry, you've lost me. Maybe I didn't explain myself properly - my bad. I'm saying that a puzzle with a time limit is still a QTE of sorts. Or at least they feel that way to me. Personally, I'm fine with them but I'd like a characters skill to have an impact too.

I didn't mean inputs as in button prompts that flash on the screen like a typical QTE. I meant input as in buttons, moving mouse, controller stick, keyboard in order to select, arrange and move pieces of the puzzle on screen while a timer runs down.

I mentioned it in response to some people's apprehension about whether they will be fast enough and whether player skill will override character skill. For some people, having to control anything quickly while a timer expires feels the same as the typical QTE you get in action games.

Examples of half qte/half puzzle would be Bioshock and some of the Alien Isolation hacks/tuning minigames. They might not be 'quick' by many gamer's standards but for people allergic to that kind of thing (I'm not judging btw), it'll still feel like a game-y, hand eye co-ordination element.

Simply put, some people will be sad that player skill might be involved in an element which they feel should be entirely handled by the characters skill.

Hope that made sense :)

Last edited:
I think its sounds more like the skills/perk system in Skyrim personally.

There's not much difference, really. Practically both are similiarly awful for mouse and KB. Skyrim's is similiar in that skills progress through use, Fallout 4's is similiar in that stats limit "perk" progression.

Guest 4211861

If hacking is a minigame, I can tell you 100% I won't be hacking anything, to me it's like working a file cabinet, it's dull.

Give me the drones, the stealth kills and synchronized explosive detonations.

I may hire a full-time hacker merc, though, if a good one is available. No offense to Jackie, but I can do what he does.

Also, remember Alpha Protocol? You could get dossiers off the black market before missions and it would assist you in the field - that was a damn good mechanic.

Sorry, you've lost me. Maybe I didn't explain myself properly - my bad. I'm saying that a puzzle with a time limit is still a QTE of sorts. Or at least they feel that way to me. Personally, I'm fine with them but I'd like a characters skill to have an impact too.

Sorry, but I'm not agreeing with this. QTE (Quick time event) is rather well-defined concept these days. I don't like arguing about terminology, but I also hate people taking words out of context.

Puzzle with one time limit is not a QTE.

If hacking is a minigame, I can tell you 100% I won't be hacking anything, to me it's like working a file cabinet, it's dull.

As evidenced by journalist reports from the closed presentation; you can choose whether to play and develop V either as a hacker, stealther, combat expert and maybe more. Multiple ways to build your character exist, and multiple ways to solve problems exist. You can play how you want, decide your playing style. Also, they mentioned that "quick hacking" exists which lets you skip the minigame.

Last edited:
I imagine they sitting there and perhaps they heard you can play the whole game without killing. But what they din't hear or perhaps miss interpret was. You can play most of the game without killing.

But if that is actually true. That is a huge step integrating that, and also tells that the game has an incredible abundant plethora of dialog choices as conversation which is an indicate that this game will be the ultimate living simulator in such aspects.

Top Bottom