Players that spend money on the game NEED to be separated from the players that didn't

+
Splitting the player base is a rather stupid idea - both for the player and from business side.

It's more important to have balanced match making - normally you should not play against someone with a deck containing two legendary cards if you have only one gold card in yours. This is boring for both players. As far as I have experienced it, this kind of match making is in place.

I intentionally created a deck only containing low value cards and not some of the really great cards I received via kegs or crafting, and my opponents seemed to have a similar quality of cards, as well. I don't know if it takes into account the player level, too, though.

So buying kegs will allow you to play faster against other players with great decks, no matter if they have gained those by playing a long time and crafting all these cards for themself, or by buying kegs, too.

The game has only been live for a few days.

It is quite easy to earn 3 kegs a day plus a bunch of Ore and Scraps (we also gave some for free as a part of the tutorial).

So far you could have earned over 25 kegs since the game launched last Tuesday, which would give you a considerable amount of upgrades to your base deck.

This means that it is very likely that players you fought might not have invested any money and may just have earned the cards themselves.

F2p player over here. Opened around 27 Kegs so far and got 3 highly competitive decks. The system is fine and should not be changed.

It's not hard to get good cards without payments.

Level 20 - 3 gold cards in NR and Scoia'tael decks, 2 gold cards in others; 7 silvers in NR, 6 silvers in others. 6 epics crafted.

But Rethas, the point of this was not to say that people could not have earned a number of kegs in the few days that it has been open. Moreso, that the matchmaking formula right now is pitting brand new players against player with better card collections and/or experience. And that hurts your bottom line. New players are paired with formidable opponents game after game that are above the average quality level of cards / decks. Players want to feel like they have a chance. And if that happens too often, what will result is players leaving before a single penny has been spent.

My point is that it's not the fact that people have better cards. If they have earned them or paid for them - Good for them! It's about creating a match making solution that provides similar skill levels and deck qualities. So the newer players play each other and have a good time doing so.

Making money at a game like this is about 1) pleasing your hard core base and 2) appealing to as many players as you can and converting them to base players. If you spend marketing dollars to get a player in the door, then you want to retain them. Matchmaking that is uneven will not provide a good experience and your marketing dollars are wasted as the person goes to play another game they can evolve into playing people of similar skill levels.

This is a fun game and I want to see it succeed. That's where testing and listening to your user base comes into play. hopefully we can all work together to make suggestions to make Gwent fun and profitable for Projekt Red!

I made it past level 17 completely free to play. I won the majority of my matches. I'm having a hard time believing anyone when they blame other people buying kegs for their losses.

That's great that you made it to past level 17. I am glad that you have the free time to do so in such a short period of time. And if you have made it to that level, I'm sure you started right at the start working your way up with the average skill level of the user base. For those of us who have started a few days later, it means that we are behind the curve. And as I mentioned in other posts, it's the matchmaking situation that causes players to be matched of different level/skill/ and card quality. A suggestion to see what I mean would be for people to play their starter decks again vs randomly match opponents (both Xbox 1 players who cannot purchase cards and PC players who can). This would give you an idea of the deck levels that are being matched. I don't think the odds would be in your favor as much, however your skill with the game may help alleviate that.

I don't blame others for buying kegs because that allows them to support the game for us all to play. But to say that you don't value the opinion of another player because they don't have your illustrious win record is fairly inappropriate for a beta test situation where we are trying to improve the game. My statement much like a few others here is that the game needs to be adjusted to provide excellent experience for new and old players alike. This will allow Projekt Red to make money and keep this fun game around!

It is quite easy to earn 3 kegs a day plus a bunch of Ore and Scraps (we also gave some for free as a part of the tutorial).

So far you could have earned over 25 kegs since the game launched last Tuesday, which would give you a considerable amount of upgrades to your base deck.

This means that it is very likely that players you fought might not have invested any money and may just have earned the cards themselves.

So you assume I'll win 50% of my matches? No can do. I get only shit in kegs and play often against someone who literally obliterates me. How many times do I have to get Cerys Henchmen?. How can i raise my level if i have to play 6 games to win 2? I don't have all day to play. The game is great but matchmaking really makes me furious sometimes.

I just wanna say that I totally agree with Sofaltis.

You don't need and you shouldn't segregate f2p and p2w players, but having a FAIR matchmaking system is crucial. And the Friendly Match feature would be the way for people to play against decks from other "levels", if they want.

I don't even have a key to play, but, just by watching a few streams, I can clearly see the fast evolution of all decks in less than a week.

I already feel my motivation to receive a key, at this point, getting lower and lower, since it would be 10x harder for me to win a match, than it was for everyone in the day 1 of the Closed Beta, when everyone had decks with similar strength.

The situation only will get worst, because the average deck level and the average player skill will only grow higher and higher. A new player will be so frustrated that won't even bother to learn the game, much less to invest on it.

Last edited:

Don't listen to this whiners, system as of now is fair as f. It's easily the most fair free to play card game on the market. If you keep your policy like this I will be glad to buy kegs and support you.

What make you think it isn't already the case ? I have a couple of really strong deck, i face only strong opponent, with strong deck.
Arguably the algorythme might not be as great right now, but will improve with time. But i have the feeling they already have some sort of matchmaking.

On top of that, making a bronze & silver deck with 1 gold, would allow you to face new / weak players and farm them. As you would be more experience. and would switch the base gold card that the new players have.

What make you think it isn't already the case ? I have a couple of really strong deck, i face only strong opponent, with strong deck.
Arguably the algorythme might not be as great right now, but will improve with time. But i have the feeling they already have some sort of matchmaking.

On top of that, making a bronze & silver deck with 1 gold, would allow you to face new / weak players and farm them. As you would be more experience. and would switch the base gold card that the new players have.

I don't have a way to test it, since all my perception is based on watching streams. But I've seen lots of miss matches with beginners decks having to face full built decks.

I saw other threads from you and I can say you like to track statistics, so I have a suggestion: You can make a test yourself. Just by making a beginner's deck and playing all day with it, while tracking your opponents deck level and your winning rate. And don't forget that you already have some experience, which can't be said from most of new players. The point of the experiment would be to test if the game, in its current state, is friendly for a new player or too hostile.

If you can prove me wrong, I'd be happy to know that they have a fair matchmaking system running and also more sad that I don't have a key yet. xD

About the "farming" possibility, I don't see as a problem at all, since most people wouldn't do it, because they want to play with the legendary and epic cards they worked or paid a lot to get.

Even if you had 30 or 40% of the players "farming", they would go up 3 levels in a day and then move on to play with their full built deck against challenging opponents. While, without a fair matchmaking system, the 5% new players or less, with a beginners deck, would have a 95% chance or more to face a experienced player, with a full built deck.

Besides that, matching new players with experienced players is never a problem, in any game. The problem is to match new players WITHOUT WEAPONS against experienced players WITH ALL THE WEAPONS.

Putting together new players and experienced players in a fair match, with equivalency of weapons is actually a VERY GOOD THING. Is the best way of helping the new players to learn how to properly play the game, by seeing other people play well with a deck of the same level as theirs.

Last edited:
The point of the experiment would be to test if the game, in its current state, is friendly for a new player or too hostile.

if the idea is to test how fair it's, no need it isn't. It's never in TCG. But you know what ? Even in real life that's the same thing.
So what i would suggest is that you, try it when you get a key. It doesn't seems like much fun to spend that many hours in the game and play a starter deck, and on top of that i doubt people would like to see me stream 12 hours straight of starter deck lol.

If you can prove me wrong, I'd be happy to know that they have a fair matchmaking system running and also more sad that I don't have a key yet. xD
As i said, i suspect they may have something in place, but like a lot of Algorythme you need to let it run for some time, to see result and improve it.

About the "farming" possibility, I don't see as a problem at all
Well then you are missing the point of this post.. The point of this post is to prevent that kind of thing. Not trying to fix it while making a hole even bigger.

Besides that, matching new players with experienced players is never a problem, in any game. The problem is to match new players WITHOUT WEAPONS against experienced players WITH ALL THE WEAPONS.
The problem is there is still no proof of that being true at the moment. Like someone said <<how do you know that your opponent even paid ?>>
Maybe you got 3 packs with 12 commons and 3 rare. Your opponent got lucky and got 1 leg 2 epics. (well the likely ood is really low but still)
As i said, i'm under the impression since yesterday, that i'm match with way more solid deck. But that come to the same point as above. "Impression, and / or opinion."

Putting together new players and experienced players in a fair match, with equivalency of weapons is actually a VERY GOOD THING. Is the best way of helping the new players to learn how to properly play the game, by seeing other people play well with a deck of the same level as theirs.
How would that be even possible ? Think about it for a seconde. Someone is more exeprience:
1 By Knowledge
2 by cards

How do you come agaisnt a player better than you with all your other ideas above ? you don't.
Knowledge come from playing. Wich lead to a better card pool. And wich end up putting you in the place of the one who's call "op" "unfair" "imbalance".
People get frustrated. Not surprising, it's always like that anyway.
The best fix is by far. Ranked. Since you're match agaisnt peoples who have the same winrate where the big fishes play other big fishes.

You can really make a great paralle with this post and this one: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ney-maker-you-succeeded?p=3217800#post3217800

For my final word on that, i wouldn't say the MM is perfect. But man, some people really are lunatics. Thinking a F2P can afford to split his community jesus.
So give them time. And dont try to fix a hole with a damn bulldozer. That doesn't work well.

Last edited:
No. Just no, sorry. No sane game designer would make such a decision, it would split the playerbase too much and create other multiple issues.

Besides, if you just play the game you should be able to create one solid deck pretty early on. You can get 2 to 3 booster packs (or should I say kegs) per day without much of an effort.

Player who spends money on the game can simply make MORE decks but that doesn't really affect you when playing casual 1v1 matches with one deck.

The only problem I see is at the very early stage of the game in a scenario such as this: when player A spends 60+ euro or more on kegs while player B spends nothing. Such cases should be very rare though.

In game design you can't make decisions based on occurances such as the above.

I think that as player base with grow up, the rank system or smth like that would partialy solve the problem. But i think there should be definitely some reward for losing like half of exp that you get for win so there will be no frustrating vicious circle

if the idea is to test how fair it's, no need it isn't. It's never in TCG. But you know what ? Even in real life that's the same thing.
So what i would suggest is that you, try it when you get a key. It doesn't seems like much fun to spend that many hours in the game and play a starter deck, and on top of that i doubt people would like to see me stream 12 hours straight of starter deck lol.

If I had a key, I'd be pleased to test it. And I totally understanding you not wanting to play with an inferior deck... and that just supports my argument tha very few people would spend their time "farming" with an inferior deck, like you envisioned, while they could be playing with their legendary and epic cards, against challenging opponents. xD

The idea is not to make the game perfectly fair, but to make it the best it can be. Giving up on tests and improvements, under the excuse of "nothing is fair in the world", is just lazy and it doesn't justify at all.

As i said, i suspect they may have something in place, but like a lot of Algorythme you need to let it run for some time, to see result and improve it.

If they have an algorithm in place for testing purposes, you are not in a favorable position of judging it, by any stretch of imagination. You probably wouldn't even notice its existence, since your are not a beginner and you're also not playing with a beginner's deck. The chances of you running into an opponent with a far different experience or deck level than yours is very thin, compared to a beginner, which 95% (or more) of their opponents have way more experience and better cards.

That's why I suggested the test.

Well then you are missing the point of this post.. The point of this post is to prevent that kind of thing. Not trying to fix it while making a hole even bigger.

How is it a bigger hole?! In fact, your are missing the point, I think.

The thread was never about this "fear over an hypothetical farming devil", it's about creating a solution to provide fair matches in the game. And, like I said before, I don't agree with segregation between f2p and p2w players, but a fair matchmaking system is essential, even for for the game's survival in the market. Without new players every day, no game can survive.

Just to make my point clearer...

Current state:
- Beginner have a 95% chance or more to face a OP opponent, maybe 80%, giving a big concession that 15% are bad players with lots of money or just f2p too lucky opening KEGs;

Matching by deck level (number of legendary/epic/rare cards in the deck):
- Everyone have almost the same deck potential, the only major difference is the knowledge and experience.

Matching by deck level would make the game more like chess, for example, in which the thinking part (strategy) prevails over the having part (cards).

And I repeat what I just said... it's a great way to help beginners, since they will be playing other beginners like them and, fairly frequently, they will face experienced players too (the few farming thirsty monsters), when they can learn from watching a better/experienced strategist playing.

The problem is there is still no proof of that being true at the moment. Like someone said <<how do you know that your opponent even paid ?>>
Maybe you got 3 packs with 12 commons and 3 rare. Your opponent got lucky and got 1 leg 2 epics. (well the likely ood is really low but still)

It doesn't matter how the players got their cards, with money or not. If they wanna play in the "minor league", they can build a beginner deck and play. If they wanna play in the "major league", they can build a full deck, with lots of legendary and epic cards, and play.

People get frustrated. Not surprising, it's always like that anyway.

A developer can't NEVER think like that.

The best fix is by far. Ranked. Since you're match agaisnt peoples who have the same winrate where the big fishes play other big fishes.

I don't know much about ranked matches, but it seems a good solution also.

EDIT 1:

Just adding to the "minor league", "major league" idea... the EXP Reward System could be changed a little to avoid the "farming devil", if that's a real concern.

Considering that the matchmaking follows the deck level parameters suggested above, the developers could make the EXP Reward System like this, for example:

Level 15 or lower with a Minor League Deck - normal XP for each win;
Level 16 or higher with a Minor League Deck - HALF XP for each win;
Level 15 or lower with a Major League Deck - normal XP for each win;
Level 16 or higher with a Major League Deck - normal XP for each win;

This would be a way to stimulate the experienced players to stay on the "major league" ( with their full built decks), mitigating the "farming" exploit and giving the beginners a chance to learn the basics of the game, before they have to face more advanced strategies and combos.

EDIT 2:

I just realized that players with bad luck while opening KEGs, but that have a 16 or higher level would be punished, with the half XP rule.

And I think the solution for this is to have a Card Collection Rank. If the player have enough cards to make a "major league deck", he would be punished with HALF XP. If the player doesn't have enough cards in his Collection to make a "major league deck", he would still get normal XP for each win.

Last edited:
And I totally understanding you not wanting to play with an inferior deck... and that just supports my argument tha very few people would spend their time "farming" with an inferior deck
You didn't take account of the "system" i was refering to earlier to match same deck quality, i would be willing to do it, if that allow me to rush my dailys in even less time.
So no. I'm not willing, since it isn't the case. If it was the case i would be willing to do it with an arrange "starter deck".

The idea is not to make the game perfectly fair, but to make it the best it can be. Giving up on tests and improvements, under the excuse of "nothing is fair in the world", is just lazy and it doesn't justify at all.
If we are talking fair, you'r missing the point, where playing under those circunstances would the "best" there is still an exploit in it. therefor is also unfair on top of forcing people with little time to play this way to achive their Dailys wich is imo. Yeah a bigger hole.

If they have an algorithm in place for testing purposes, you are not in a favorable position of judging it, by any stretch of imagination. You probably wouldn't even notice its existence, since your are not a beginner and you're also not playing with a beginner's deck. The chances of you running into an opponent with a far different experience or deck level than yours is very thin, compared to a beginner, which 95% (or more) of their opponents have way more experience and better cards.

That's why I suggested the test.
I can only aggre with that.
But still i have the feeling i'm facing the same overall quality deck as mine. While i spent a lot of time(What are the odd of people playing as much as me ?).
And it even reflect in the drop of my winrate. We can still argue that it's only my case. But either way. I face stronger opponent. So there might be something. but only might.

How is it a bigger hole?! In fact, your are missing the point, I think.

The thread was never about this "fear over an hypothetical farming devil", it's about creating a solution to provide fair matches in the game. And, like I said before, I don't agree with segregation between f2p and p2w players, but a fair matchmaking system is essential, even for for the game's survival in the market. Without new players every day, no game can survive.

Just to make my point clearer...

Current state:
- Beginner have a 95% chance or more to face a OP opponent, maybe 80%, giving a big concession that 15% are bad players with lots of money or just f2p too lucky opening KEGs;

Matching by deck level (number of legendary/epic/rare cards in the deck):
- Everyone have almost the same deck potential, the only major difference is the knowledge and experience.

Matching by deck level would make the game more like chess, for example, in which the thinking part (strategy) prevails over the having part (cards).

And I repeat what I just said... it's a great way to help beginners, since they will be playing other beginners like them and, fairly frequently, they will face experienced players too (the few farming thirsty monsters), when they can learn from watching a better/experienced strategist playing.
Assuming it wouldn't be broken. It could be good. But the facts are a little different.
Some decks steamroll like nobody buisness with little rarity. And matching those agaisnt same quality, would(probably) broke the match making even more.

Take Scoia'teal for exemple. Those are the most expensive to make. If you play only with Common rare and 1 epic. You will loose 70% of your game. as they tend to need expensive setting to work. So basicly that's the hole i was talking about.
It also apply the other way around. A NR low rarity would probably have an enormous amount of win rate. Because of the cheap mechanics that need higher tier cards to answer.

That's why what you are suggesting, would be broken. And wouldn't lead to better matchmaking. tell me if i'm missing something.

It doesn't matter how the players got their cards, with money or not. If they wanna play in the "minor league", they can build a beginner deck and play. If they wanna play in the "major league", they can build a full deck, with lots of legendary and epic cards, and play.
It matter only on the side of experience, and having better cards doesnt mean you are a better player. It increase the odd. But only in this exemple. I'm talking matching 2 new players. So a player who got shitty Kegs, would have a smoother overall experience and learning curve, while the lucky one would get to face higher experience player & decks. Most likely get stomp by unlucky players.

I don't think you want that kind of cleavage for your players as game designer. And let's face it. Who doesn't like to oblitare someone time to time ? It's part of the fun. One sided. But fun.

A developer can't NEVER think like that.
I'm not a dev. So i don't see why my opinion isn't valide and therfore maybe false by your statement ? And it's also a prouve fact that you always hear more the complainers than the people who are fine.

Having a couple of people getting frustrated and talking about it left & right, throwing <<dev are doing a bad job.>> Are lunatic. Espacially when it comes to CD Projekt.
What would be the sample of the complain vs the people who either don't think of it that way, or don't care ?
Becareful I'm not saying it's fine.
I'm saying that if it was such a big deal this post would have already 10 pages of rage post. Belive me i tend to be on a lot of forum on when it comes to competitive gameplay. And it's nowhere near some of the rage and imballance i saw else where.

So, should the devs spend all their time adressing an issue dispite by a couple of peoples who are again, Frustrated how it goes. Or spend their precious time on bug fixing, and adding content ? They should of course do both.
But it's not possible.

MatchMaking in casual is trival. That's why ranked exsiste. Pretty much everybody who is complaning in this post will be fine once ranked come out. Just because of winrate. So why should the dev spend time on something that has already a solution, and on top of that for casual matchmaking.

I do think it's madness. Not even to mention, that if you implemente that kind of system in casual when Ranked get out you will probably experience sever waitting time in casual. So should they really spend time in developping something that they will most likely have to fix, tune, then throw by the window at the end ?

I don't know much about ranked matches, but it seems a good solution also.
If you ask me it's by far the best. in every single way. just of the way it work. It resolve the multiple factor on top of that:
Experience * Cards * Deck * Player. because of the huge unknow value there is in those.
Give 10 player the same deck same. You would be surprise of the differences of results.

And rank system are pretty simple. You win you progress toward the place number 1 or gain MMR (MatchMaking Ranking)
You loose you retrograde with the same system as above.
Rank are usualy a shit show when they launch. But give it a weekend and everything start to be just fine.

Just adding to the "minor league", "major league" idea... the EXP Reward System could be changed a little to avoid the "farming devil", if that's a real concern.

Considering that the matchmaking follows the deck level parameters suggested above, the developers could make the EXP Reward System like this, for example:

Level 15 or lower with a Minor League Deck - normal XP for each win;
Level 16 or higher with a Minor League Deck - HALF XP for each win;
Level 15 or lower with a Major League Deck - normal XP for each win;
Level 16 or higher with a Major League Deck - normal XP for each win;

This would be a way to stimulate the experienced players to stay on the "major league" ( with their full built decks), mitigating the "farming" exploit and giving the beginners a chance to learn the basics of the game, before they have to face more advanced strategies and combos.

I just realized that players with bad luck while opening KEGs, but that have a 16 or higher level would be punished, with the half XP rule.

And I think the solution for this is to have a Card Collection Rank. If the player have enough cards to make a "major league deck", he would be punished with HALF XP. If the player doesn't have enough cards in his Collection to make a "major league deck", he would still get normal XP for each win.

Having a great card pool doesnt mean you can make a good deck. You could have 1 legendary in each faction that doesnt make a deck good. Where another player would have for exemple only 2 but that goes in a deck. It's too situationel as some deck work perfectly with low rarity, and other need very high end cards to work.
I'm not event talking about someone who could mill 1 faction and be in the minor whille having a perfect and complete deck.
No matter how you look at this it's a bad idea.

If anything you idea would have to be faction + neutral base. But how do you define equal in asymetrical gameplay ? You can balance it the best as you can. But making it fair ?

I don't know a single competive game that does a matchmaking tunning this precise. And the reasons are simple:
1) It's too much work.
2) And even when you do it. It doesn't mean it would change a thing. I would probably be broken, from the get go, and you then need to adjsut it every time new cards come out. While again Ranked resolve this issue perfectly and his fair.

Hopefully you will come to the same conclusion as me, it's getting really time consuming haha.

Edit: Typo, misleading phrasing.

Edit 2:
MMR is also probably the best by far. as you get point accordingly of you opponent MMR Loose agaisnt an higher loose less. Win agaisnt an Higher win more.
And it's really easy to use those value for Casual matchmaking Either by having;
An "hidden" MMR in casual as i suspect it's right now. Wich also resolve the problem of people getting frustrated. If you display a number in casual people would go ape.
Or use the ranked mmr as reference for matchmaking in Casual. But is less fair.

Last edited:
I do not think they need to be separated personally, but the introduction of an alternate game mode allowing the use of decks only containing Bronze cards could solve the problem for newer players and provide an interesting new format.

Hopefully you will come to the same conclusion as me, it's getting really time consuming haha.

You did make lots of great points and, although I could argue some things and improve my idea around your concerns, I'll just let it go that way... I'm also spending too much time in this forum, especially if you take that I'm not even a Gwent player. #TeamNoKey :´(

You did make lots of great points and, although I could argue some things and improve my idea around your concerns, I'll just let it go that way... I'm also spending too much time in this forum, especially if you take that I'm not even a Gwent player. #TeamNoKey :´(

Sorry for you key ^^
Hopefully you didn't take it too personaly when i said "bad idea" it's more about the game than just us ! Happy we could have a civil discusion here. it usualy end poorly haha.

bre3zer;n6679462 said:
Here you go guys.

That's great to hear that it's under work - I figured it must be part of their test regiment. I appreciate the conversation held around it - I only wish it wasn't in a post titled - paid should be separated. I never think that should be the case. The dev's obviously see this as an issue and it should only begin to improve. In the meantime, If you are an Xbox one Player, I would suggest turning off cross platform if you do not want to face those people who have purchased cards. Since I have done that, I have noticed a far better pairing in my more recent games.

Top Bottom