Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ermmm yes it did.... 3 races, must've been 15 missions each minimum. Yeah the Brood War release was in fact 2 separate expansions bundled, I forget their names... Insurrection and ...?

Kudos said:
Starcraft 1 must have had 45-60 missions, with its 2 expansions released within the same year. Full story... all told.

Each race has 10 missions in original StarCraft. There was only one expansion - StarCraft: Brood War with the same amount of mission. Brood War was released in one part.

Ah well.... my memories got some fuzzy patches in it

Insurrection may have been a Multiplayer expansion, I played battlenet at the time.

Doesn't change the central point though, Starcraft 2's bonkers release schedule does nothing to add gamers to the franchise, or retain old gamers, I doubt i'm the only one who cant be bothered waiting 2+ years for the final.

(and I recall looking for HoS release dates up to a year after finishing WoL, thats when I gave up).

Insurrection and Retribution are not official campaigns and they have no real tie in with the story itself. Also they are rather poor quality when compared to the original.

Yes they were authorized by Blizzard but not developed by them directly.

Also excuse me but I don't share the sentiment. Waiting 3 years for a high quality release is better then 1 and getting a bad release. Yes Brood War was good in terms of story but how good was it gameplay wise in campaign vs original? What innovation did they have there?

With HoS I like how you upgrade and control the zerg aboard the ship. Unlike Wings where you purchased upgrades and mercenaries here you evolve your units.

Fair enough, we clearly have different perceptions on this. Yes Blizz push out polished games and deserve a lot of respect for that, also if they have retained the support of the battlenet community.

But 3 years for the second part of a story, generously 5 years for the lot (a not very complex or particularly innovative story - sure they lazily plagiarise across their own IP's) is way too long to hold my avid attention. Like i said, i've no doubt i'll play them, but reckon i'll hold off until they are complete. Whats the hurry, eh Blizz?

Oh and then theres that general vibe that its all going to end perfectly to setup World of Starcraft (Titan). Aye ok this is speculation but it was detectable in WC3 and panned out to be true.... main characters just not dying when they really should - that is, if story trumps merchandising & future sales.

Oh and then theres that general vibe that its all going to end perfectly to setup World of Starcraft (Titan).

They said that Titan will be a complete new franchise.

Yeh, and everyone is locked down from saying anything about it, the guy who leaked "Titan" was gone moments later.

But ask yourself this, when was the last time Blizz did something completely new?

Kudos said:
But ask yourself this, when was the last time Blizz did something completely new?

In one interview they were asked when they do "something new". Their answer was "wait for Titan".

The fact that they were even asked that question says a lot.

Objectively, you have to wonder if a company that has been so successful with a relatively small number of IP's, and even actual product releases, has lost some of that "hunger" and edginess that put them in the position in the first place.

I'm not sure they are capable of something new, simply because they haven't proven themselves in this regard, and an individual put in such a position would be daunted by the task, perhaps a company can be too.

(The only fact we know about Titan is that it is scifi)

Hey, did someone heard the Elizabeth Theme song from BioShock Infinite? That's one great piece of music from the master himself - Garry Schyman.. truly wonderful - just EPIC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JO8MqT4cCE

And has someone played the last Hitman ? If yes, did you like it or not?

GOG is running a Pick 5 promo.

http://www.gog.com/pick_5

I recommend Legend of Grimrock and Chronicles of Riddick.

Ah thanks greski I missed last Gog news. Divinity II I'm coming!

I'm about to end ME2 finally (I got too short time to play lately... meh) and I can say that... Bioware owns my heart again! I've judged it too early. ME2 is awesome, possibly better than ME1. The main plot isn't so different than ME1 but I love the work they did on NPCs. Their personal stories and quests are great, especially Mordin's, Garrus, Jacob's ("The Island" kind quest, lol) Samara and Tali. And I also appreciated the chance to have inter species romance (Garrus

SC: I do hope you won't play ME3 and join the club of people like me who loved ME2 and were really pissed of by ME3.

But yeah ME2 was a really fun game for me. I once made this because of how much I loved the game and I weep when I look at it nowadays considering what Bioware did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U69RITfKPOg

I recommend Legend of Grimrock as well. A good semi-old school ride. Not a memorable story, but it is very entertaining. I couldn't put it down until I finished it.

ME2, well, I got it for free and gave it a try. Not a bad tactical third-person shooter. It has elements of adventure/exploration, and the setting is actually exciting and entertaining, albeit relatively cliché sci-fi. Maybe this is answered somewhere, but how come all species can speak and understand English (or any other human language)? I don't mean just learning, but actually being able to pronounce the sounds. And understanding another species requires sharing a common cognitive development and modeling of the world... anyway, it's more FI than SCI ;)

It's actually a space translator. But eh whatever, how come the Protoss speak English or worse...the overmind.
Not that big a deal imo, ME as a series has a lot more glaring problems.

KnightofPhoenix said:
It's actually a space translator. But eh whatever, how come the Protoss speak English or worse...the overmind.
Not that big a deal imo, ME as a series has a lot more glaring problems.

Like... a babelfish? Heh. At least Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is humorous. But seriously, there is a real cognitive impediment to understanding other species. Our language models our world and has been shaped by our evolutionary history. That is one of my critics.

Got any more? I am interested. And yes, I didn't play ME1. I only played ME2 because, again, it was given to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom