Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still pissed about TR for some reason. If anyone has a PS2 and want a better survival game try MGS3, It's a prequel to the other Metal Gears and has a different protagonist so you can play it alone.

The characters and gameplay are brilliant I've played that game more times than TW2 and that says something since I won that t-shirt for it.

MGS games have reputation for being silly but it's a lot more believable than TR and it kinda makes me angry TR isn't more like MGS3.

Also

This woman is the best character ever. You could say the entire MGS conflict came to being because of the interpretation of her ideals. I don't think there's better written woman in video games.

Just finished Metro 2033. The last chapter was very cool, and not nearly as ridiculous as I anticipated. No towering, multi-stage bosses. No crazy gunslinging with machine guns. Just a few good men trying to save their station, or so they think. I was expecting a head to head confrontation with one of those flying demons, but no. It was more of a psychological ride than a shooting rampage. Which is GOOD!

Seriously, if the next game has more adventure elements (exploration, interaction, environmental reactivity) and more tactical and/or stealth elements, I will definitely get it!

Now I kind of want to know more about the setting, what caused the war and how the dark ones originated.

I think next in line is NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer. Might as well play through the normal campaign.

guipit said:
I'm still pissed about TR for some reason. If anyone has a PS2 and want a better survival game try MGS3, It's a prequel to the other Metal Gears and has a different protagonist so you can play it alone.

The characters and gameplay are brilliant I've played that game more times than TW2 and that says something since I won that t-shirt for it.

MGS games have reputation for being silly but it's a lot more believable than TR and it kinda makes me angry TR isn't more like MGS3.

Also

This woman is the best character ever. You could say the entire MGS conflict came to being because of the interpretation of her ideals. I don't think there's better written woman in video games.

MGS was great before Kojima started pandering to the fans. MGS4 was guilty of this and it felt as if Kojima did not enjoy making it. Acts 1 and 2 are my favorites, but the rest of the game is just not fun.

As for MGS3, I really enjoy sneaking and planning out my moves. I miss a lot of that in MGS4...

Bought Endless Space on sale.. its pretty good but I dont understand how it works yet. Enemy territories grow crazy big and overwhelm my planets and borders. Not sure how to stop it :(

magnoos said:
Bought Endless Space on sale.. its pretty good but I dont understand how it works yet. Enemy territories grow crazy big and overwhelm my planets and borders. Not sure how to stop it :(/>

http://www.manapool.co.uk/endless-space-strategy-guide/

Read well :) And be sure you patched it or pirates get absurdingly strong in later stages.

Volsung said:
ME2, well, I got it for free and gave it a try. Not a bad tactical third-person shooter. It has elements of adventure/exploration, and the setting is actually exciting and entertaining, albeit relatively cliché sci-fi.
Yes, but the story takes and interesting twist since ME1. Still not my fav about "being the saviour of the Galaxy" but I appreciated that Shepard is forced to collaborate with the Dark Side aka Cerberus. For some reason an evil renegade Shepard comes better than a lawful good. But I choose the latter the same.
Anyway, ME2 strenght is NPCs and their personal stories.

Maybe this is answered somewhere, but how come all species can speak and understand English (or any other human language)? I don't mean just learning, but actually being able to pronounce the sounds.

They have a universal translantor implanted into the ear. No different than Star Trek universal translator, which is in the badge instead.

Volsung said:
Like... a babelfish? Heh. At least Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is humorous. But seriously, there is a real cognitive impediment to understanding other species. Our language models our world and has been shaped by our evolutionary history. That is one of my critics.
Well it's a game you know, so everything we are speaking of it's just fiction. Ipothetically speaking, that impediment is overtaken by a self learning translator device. If you meet a new species, it might take a while before understanding the new language. Since in ME universe there are all more or less known species (except for Protheans and Reapers at first), the translator is already set up. And in the case of Protheans and Reapers, since they're both more advanced than any other species in the galaxy, I assume they found another way to communicate with them.
Reapers are somewhat similar to the Borg in their harvesting other species for a higher purpose. I guess could be in this way they manage to communicate with them.

And yes, I didn't play ME1. I only played ME2 because, again, it was given to me.
Well you should play it, in order to have a more completed sketch of the story. If you jump directly into ME2, I don't know how many things you can wholefully understand about Prothean, Collectors and Reapers and Cerberus and what kind of perverted unscrupolous organization it is.

But I've blabbed a lot about Star Trek stuff and I don't even know if you're in it or not. Sorry!

guipit said:
QUEEN

Kojima has been pandering to fans since MGS3, except one is crafted to be awesome and the other to be a disaster... MGS4 reeks of bitterness over his fans' demands and feedback.

Dona said:
QUEEN

Kojima has been pandering to fans since MGS3, except one is crafted to be awesome and the other to be a disaster... MGS4 reeks of bitterness over his fans' demands and feedback.

for me MGS 1&3 as well as Peacewalker are the only classic ones but MGS games are good all the time. They just look bad when they're next to good MGS's.

@SC

Thanks! That was a very thorough explanation. I guess I should play ME1 to fully appreciate the second, which I did enjoy in fact. Mostly because I expected a glorified shooter but the game surprised me with good interesting narrative and a pretty cool setting.

I'm not a fan of the original Star Trek but I really like the Next Generation, so your examples were very helpful :)

Being a fan of both series, what other similarities did you find between ME and Star Trek?

guipit said:
for me MGS 1&3 as well as Peacewalker are the only classic ones but MGS games are good all the time. They just look bad when they're next to good MGS's.
Yeah, that's the redeeming quality... even when they're bad, they're good. And I'm among those who consider MGS2 a masterpiece, MGS1 the heavy support that makes it a masterpiece, and MGS3 as close as a game can get to perfection. So I complain and go "Kojima, noo!" and get sucked right back in. Need to watch Peace Walker on youtube, though, I don't own a PSP. I enjoyed the mini web game they released with it, though, it was so silly and fun :D

Dona said:
Need to watch Peace Walker on youtube, though, I don't own a PSP. I enjoyed the mini web game they released with it, though, it was so silly and fun :D/>

yeah might as well get the game since it's more fun than MGS4 though unlocking all the stuff takes a long time but it's fun. The Boss cassette tapes were really emotional for me.

Volsung said:
@SC

Thanks! That was a very thorough explanation. I guess I should play ME1 to fully appreciate the second, which I did enjoy in fact. Mostly because I expected a glorified shooter but the game surprised me with good interesting narrative and a pretty cool setting.

I'm not a fan of the original Star Trek but I really like the Next Generation, so your examples were very helpful :)
Glad to help ^^
I'm mostly a fan of ST Voyager to be honest. Even tho there is only 1 true captain and it's Jean Luc Picard lol

Being a fan of both series, what other similarities did you find between ME and Star Trek?

Minor, almost nothing. I mean: sci fi genre has its common places, the universal translator, hyper-speed light devices and so on. Mass Effect System Alliance is basically the Federation of Planets, as you probably already noticed. Except that it's not human-centric and I like the discrimination between the Citadel Council species and the non-Council species. Star Trek is all human centric, typical of a childish writers\producers view. Humans are always good, loyal, intelligent and they always win no matter what. But you know, its was conceived in the 60s so, it's justified.
The Earth of Mass Effect is just a planet as any other and it's in ruin after multiple war holocausts and so on. The Earth story is not clear to be honest, I guess becoz it doesn't count too much. Humans are not in the Council before Shepard arrives and then there is Cerberus. Such an organization is beyond any Roddenberry's plan imo.

Krogans are a better version of Klingons. If the Kligon Empire fell in ruins for internal civil war (which it cyclically happens in truth) and fight among clans and a genetic artificial desease preventing them to reproduce at the pace of a rabbit, they could be the Krogans. Speak with one of them and you'll see the similarities: honor, war, being a honorable warrior, sacredness of battle and so on. But all the genophage story makes things even more interesting regarding the Krogans. That's my opinion.

Other than these, I cannot see much similarities between the two. Excepting those sci fi common places I told before. I said the Reapers are similar to the Borg in one sense. But the Borg don't pretend to be the rulers of the Galaxy, no matter how scary and powerful their menace is. Repears twisted plan is much more complicated and has interesting cosmologic and existential implications imo. There's no Hive: there're ancient powerful gods, sleeping for eons in the darkest space of the universe, waiting to come back and harvest. It's the Call of Chutulhu :)

One more thing that I appreciated a lot in ME2 is the creepy horror nuance it takes when exploring a Repear relict, same as in R. Scott's Alien. In ME1 the horror atmosphere was minor, even tho bloody horrorific quests don't lack.

guipit said:
yeah might as well get the game since it's more fun than MGS4 though unlocking all the stuff takes a long time but it's fun. The Boss cassette tapes were really emotional for me.
The only gaming platforms I own are PC and Nintendo DSi, so tough luck. Buying a console would also mean buying a TV, not to mention I'm not interested in most 'exclusive' titles. So I'm doomed to YouTube. (I never played MGS4, but watched it from start to end a few times.)

Dona said:
The only gaming platforms I own are PC and Nintendo DSi, so tough luck. Buying a console would also mean buying a TV, not to mention I'm not interested in most 'exclusive' titles. So I'm doomed to YouTube. (I never played MGS4, but watched it from start to end a few times.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9mNmukRuDg

This dudes channel has a whole bunch of MGS stuff even Portable OPs and MGS1 really cool.

Dona said:

Are sure you need a TV for a console? I connected my X360 to my monitor with no problems. You can also get an adapter that allows to connect console to a pc monitor. At least X360 has

I guess so, but either way that's a lot of money spent on entertainment I am not dying to have (or can afford).

I'm hoping for Ground Zeroes on PC as well, but I'm not going to hold my breath. There hasn't been a MGS PC game since 2001.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom