Please make sure the dialogue options and actual dialogue match.

+
They seem to be going all-in for immersion. Selecting a dialogue option, and then hearing your character say something unexpected, is definitely immersion breaking. A toggle option to see minimal/full dialogue is a good solution.

This forum is made to give feedback, it's something that needs to be discussed. These comments helps, it's a discussion, yours don't.
Post automatically merged:

I mean you want it to be a telltale game? Can't we think about what we're gonna say?
1/ It's a work in progress.
2/ How do the comments posted here help? Are you suggesting the devs pander to everyone's disappointment every time something isn't quite to their liking?
3/ It's a game.

1/ It's a work in progress.
2/ How do the comments posted here help? Are you suggesting the devs pander to everyone's disappointment every time something isn't quite to their liking?
3/ It's a game.
It's a game that's very important to a lot of us. If you can't understand that, fine, but it's the reality. You don't follow a game for half a decade and stay silent when you see things that can be improved.

How do the comments posted here help? Uh... I don't think that needs to be explained, does it? None of us (at least most of us) are under the illusion that CDPR will do what we say. On the contrary, they've done the exact opposite in many cases. Because they understand game design and know what they want in their game.

But there are some ideas given here I'm sure they've either implemented or intend to implement, should resources and time permit. It's the nature of any kind of software development. Fan feedback matters. If you don't want to entertain and participate in that feedback, the forums may not be the place for you - the subreddit and Discord are great places to go for general "super hyped!" discussions (not that you can't have 'em here, too).

I am ok with the dialogue options being different from what the character says, actually I even prefer it this way. The responses are short and simple and it happens in real time so I guess if you take too long reading on these it will provoke npcs to act unpredictably (just my assumption based on what I saw in the gameplay) perhaps even lock your dialogue options and the game will take scripted route for that situation if you don't respond in time?
It's okay to have the dialogue selections show a much shorter recap of what your character would say. The issue it MAKING IT MATCH.

That's the problem a lot of games have had. Where they'll give you a dialogue choice, but when you pick it your character actually ends up saying something very much different from the choice that was presented.

So you can have the dialogue options when someone asks you to do something be "Agree", "Disagree", "Find out more" and have the actual dialogue reflect those. That's perfectly fine.

The problem comes when you have games present the same situation and the dialogue options you're seeing are "I'll do it", "I refuse" and "I'm not sure". You pick the "I'm not sure" because that's the option that doesn't seem to be accepting or declining the quest, only asking for more information. But your character actually ends up just saying something along the lines of "I don't do that kind of stuff, go screw yourself" and you've now screwed up a questline because what was shown did NOT match up to what was actually said.

I want to see the full dialog and not this sortof maybe what we say choice. I hated it in other games including the witcher. Just give us the option to show the full dialog so we can see what we will actually say. I have no idea why this mechanic sticks, if it is about dialog space limitations because of the directional pad, maybe change it for long dialog, or have the full dialog appear someone else on the screen when you highlight the choice. I disagree about having dialog timed or it auto chooses for us. That is not fun and something action games do, not RPG's. If it is in, put it on hard mode, but leave the rest without it.

I have no idea why this mechanic sticks, if it is about dialog space limitations because of the directional pad, maybe change it for long dialog, or have the full dialog appear someone else on the screen when you highlight the choice.

That's because people feel that it's boring when they read the dialogue choices and the character repeat the exact same thing. I thought that I wanted too the full dialogue, but after playing The Witcher 1, I kinda agree. If I'm not mistaken, Bioware also tasted that and players didn't like.

That's because people feel that it's boring when they read the dialogue choices and the character repeat the exact same thing. I thought that I wanted too the full dialogue, but after playing The Witcher 1, I kinda agree. If I'm not mistaken, Bioware also tasted that and players didn't like.

Depends on the players. Some people hate RPG's but love shooters, others love shooters but hate RPG's. This is the same, different people want different things. I just want the options so I can make sure my choice is exactly what I mean to choose.

This was a thing in Witcher 3 as well, as far as I remember. Written text option not really corresponding to what the character actually says in the end. Or am I remembering this incorrectly?

"Shove Dijkstra aside. Forcefully."

or

"I can't let you [leave to do what is basically a suicide]", so you have a fight to the death instead.

Last edited:

Yeah, it's true, that's why I think the best way to tackle this is by adding entirely optional preview that shows up above (or below) the dialogue options when you hover one of the responses. Kind of feel like it should be disabled by default, so only people who don't mind it can just go to options and check "Dialogue previews".

How about letting players decide what they want with a toggle?
( ) Do you want full dialogue-option?
( ) Do you want spoken speech on/off?

And so on.... Options are good, limitations/misrepresentation is bad in my honest opinion.

I disagree, i want to experience V's way of saying my choice. I dont want bland copy cat situations. Its dumb and unreal.

I WANT TO EXPERIENCE THE CYBERPUNK WAY of my selected dialogue.

thats the point, to see the differences between our world and the game world. you need to understand that...

I disagree, i want to experience V's way of saying my choice. I dont want bland copy cat situations. Its dumb and unreal.
It's dumb and unreal to speak what's exactly on your mind? XD I thought most intelligent people think about what they want to say, and since we're apparently supposed to "immerse" ourselves entirely in the game and world, we should be able to choose what exactly we want to say. Besides, as I said, this can be toggable option. Since CDPR confirmed that we will be able to enable/disable different parts of the UI, I don't see why is that a problem. Just add a preview of each choice for those who want it - every game should have this, it isn't unique to CP.

The only reason why we have the dialogues the way we do these days is the UI. Back in the days RPG games had typical "window" for conversation and it didn't matter how long the responses were, since you could scroll them up and down. These days we either have dialogue wheels or other similiar parts of the UI that simply cannot fit the whole sentences. Hence the reason why the short version are required, but it wouldn't hurt to add a preview of full response to currently selected dialogue option.

Tuco

Forum veteran
This is a complaint I've read a lot even for past games, but honestly I can't really say it bothers me that much.
Even going with my past experiences I've hardly ever been taken aback with non-matching wording.
In at least nine times out of ten I've always got the gist of where the conversation was moving.

There's even a possible counter-argument to the complaint, in fact (even if I don't care that much about it, either):
the idea that forcing someone to read before picking an option and then listening to the character repeating those exact same words may end up sounding redundant and lower the player's attention on the acting.
Post automatically merged:

How about this.

By default you get the little 2-5 word blurbs, but in game options you could turn on a full response pop-up when you mouse over the little blurb?
That's basically what the new Deus Ex games did.

It's that sort of nonsense that has no place in games. It's also why there's a mod for the dialogue in Fallout 4 to replace the default lines shown with what your character will actually say if you pick an option. Which is how it should have been from the start.

I agree on this one, had alot of bad experiences in Fallout 4 because of this lazy simple text.

But we've seen far too many games royally screw the player with non-matching speech options (Fallout 4 is a standout example).

A lot of games try to be witty with the selections, and while that might work in some cases, the safest thing to do is show the player EXACTLY what their character will say, so that they know EXACTLY what option they want to actually pick.
So annoying that was/is in fallout 4. The cut off speeches dialogs where always inaccurate and terrible in that game. I get the way to long dialogs can't be displayed because it will take up the whole screen, but more than a couple of words would be a warm welcome.

Top Bottom