Poker! = dumbest achievement in gaming history!!!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poker! = dumbest achievement in gaming history!!!

I really can't figure out what's going on with this one. I've been playing poker dice (and I'm on my second play through) and have yet to get this achievement.

Last night I did an experiment, I played for several hours and didn't get 5 of a kind once. Meanwhile, the computer controlled opponents ended up getting a total of 5 of a kind 5 times.

Do you have to play someone who's drunk to get this so they ignore the fact that you have 4 of a kind then want to roll again? This is so frustrating!

Is a Luck Achievement, you should have expected this XD . I got the achievement near the end of the game with a five of a kind on ones.

Is not a dumb achievement, is really far more dumbest those achievement like "Kill 200 enemies!!!" in a shooter. Is like "Oh, you really kill!! YAY!" XD

SkycladGuardian said:
Achievements are only there to fuck with the minds of completionists ;)

LOL. But shouldn't that have spoiler tags? :) :) :)

(And yes, I do achievements, and yes, I'm a completionist, and yes, I can totally agree with this)

SkycladGuardian said:
Achievements are only there to fuck with the minds of completionists ;)

Not to mention to artificially extend the hours of gameplay, and add some "bragging rights".

In reference to the title of this thread, I would say achievements are simply one of the dumbest things in gaming history. No offense to anyone :)

Hah, I've never seen someone complain about how they can't seem to get an achievement that involves pure luck xD

My advice? Try on :p

luc0s

Forum veteran
tomigun46 said:
Really miss the Dice Poker from the witcher 1 .....sigh...

Why? It's exactly the same damn thing except in The Witcher 1 the dice have numbers on them instead of symbols.

Luc0s said:
Why? It's exactly the same damn thing except in The Witcher 1 the dice have numbers on them instead of symbols.

W1: top view, click to roll, 2 out of 3, dice don't go bouncing off the board.
W2: angled view, mouse roll, 1 out of 1, dice go bouncing off the board.

How is it exactly the same thing?

Mening that it works with the same rules. Only that in TW1 you had highest bet, two rounds and more chance to win money.

Oh, by the way, on top of being an annoying luck-based achievement, it's also bugged. I rolled 5 of a kind on the first roll a few minutes ago, couldn't believe my luck, then the achievement didn't unlock. Awesome.

Sorry if I keep posting in this thread, but I thought this observation is worth noting - as I posted yesterday, getting five of a kind on the first roll didn't unlock the achievement for me. Today I got it on the second roll, and this time I got the achievement. So I wonder if the condition is for it to happen on the second roll or for the Poker game to be completed without the opponent resigning; obviously when I got it on the first roll, the other character immediately pulled out of the game.

tomigun46 said:
Really miss the Dice Poker from the witcher 1 .....sigh...

The only thing I miss from TW1 about dice poker is the higher stakes the game was about. You could win/lose 120-500 orens per game, which added the sense of excitement. Now it's 30 orens per game... when a stupid diagram of a potion costs 200. Bascally you are playing with spare change instead of real stakes.

Sure you could abuse that, bit still it was more exciting and fun. Plus, because of the high costs of 'Dark' items we could use some more thrilling means of earning for them other than farming Rotfiends... or abusing super-easy arm-wrestling minigame.

Mrowakus said:
The only thing I miss from TW1 about dice poker is the higher stakes the game was about. You could win/lose 120-500 orens per game, which added the sense of excitement. Now it's 30 orens per game... when a stupid diagram of a potion costs 200. Bascally you are playing with spare change instead of real stakes.
I couldn't agree more. Dice poker was a big let down for me in the Witcher II as there appeared no chance of earning the huge amounts I used to in the Witcher I. [Count de Wett was my constant source of "income" when I needed orens, and needed it fast.]

Purpleknight said:
Is a Luck Achievement, you should have expected this XD . I got the achievement near the end of the game with a five of a kind on ones.

Is not a dumb achievement, is really far more dumbest those achievement like "Kill 200 enemies!!!" in a shooter. Is like "Oh, you really kill!! YAY!" XD
No, not really. The meaning of FPSs is to kill, and even though it doesn't take too long to do it, it is an achievement based on other things than pure luck.

seems like all the minigames (minus arm wrestling, obviously) regressed.

not just on the playing portion of them, but also i liked how there were special abilities that allowed you to fight better, the more you had to drink, etc., not to mention other abilites that helped with fist fighting.

slightly more topic related then the above, assuming spoilers are out the window @ this point, & also assuming we all have played both the first & second game by now:

speaking of high stakes (which i also miss) i wonder, is this "mousesack" that the heirophant (professional, from the 1st game, druids grove) talked about...is in fact the "monk" downstairs, in the flotsam tavern? yknow, the "lucky" guy?

idk, but one would think that he would have referred to geralt, by his first name, if this were the case, considering he illegedly knew the white wolf, as per the heirophant's recollections.

edit= i got it last night, without really even trying. try this:

1. approach one of the "easier" people to beat. low stakes.
2. save before playing.
3. if they beat you, no problem. reload & try again.
4. continue on this way until you win, hopefully by 5 of a kind.
5. even if you dont get the trophy, continue on with this formula for the rest of the game & you will get it eventually.

this is only my second playthrough so its very possible. thats literally how i play poker so i can tell you it works. it was the 2 peeons @ the kedwen camp, right where the drunk dude's lookin for odrin. fyi. (chapter 2; roaches path)

i got 3 of a kind on my initial roll, idk if this is the pattern you need to get it or not, but this would tend to indicate thusly, & certainly make it more probable.

Steam-slaves like you sadden me, OP :'(

Well, anyway, I guess since you did it already the topic can be locked. On a side note, I never got a five-of-a-kind during the entire game. Funny that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom