Problems since recent Nvidia and/or Windows 10 update.

+
Problems since recent Nvidia and/or Windows 10 update.

I installed updates from nvidia and win10 last night. I can launch and play galaxy and witcher3 just fine, but when I tried to fast travel from hierarch square to oxenfurt, I crashed to desktop. So I verified the game, and it took a really long time to finish. It even showed that prompt when you install something "Do you allow this application to make changes to your hard drive? etc etc galaxy_witcher3_ex... publisher:GOG... something something..." I forgot what it said exactly.

And furthermore, these actions seems to cause my PC to slow down terribly, can't launch google, can't launch task manager, and when I tried to shut it down, it took a really long time to shut down, I thought it crashed and unplugged it without it completely shutting down yet. But the second time around I just let it finish and found out that it would eventually shut down, just takes forever.

The PC would boot up just fine afterwards. I tried other games and applications, and my PC runs just fine, no problems shutting down and booting up. The problem I mentioned earlier only happens when I verify the witcher 3 from galaxy, after which my PC would just run like s***.

---------- Updated at 09:41 PM ----------

Sorry, forgot to mention my specs: I7-4790k, GTX970 Strix, 8GB RAM, Z97 ASUS motherboard, SanDIsk 240GB SSD

This could be any one of a number of issues, including a virus/malware, drive problems with your SSD, Windows corruption, simply having run out of space...
As far as the game is concerned, it does appear to have failed the verification and is trying to update the game. However, you may want to try to fix the core problems with your system first.

I'm not that familiar with Windows 10, but are there error logs you can check?

I have noticed exactly the same phenomenon when trying to verify the game - system got extremely slowed down.

I did this under Win 10 before, just a few weeks before and it worked perfectly.

I also did install the latest NVidia drivers recently, as well as the mandatory Windows updates, so this might cause the issue.

This odd behaviour is absolutely new.

I don't know if this is what you both are facing, but there's an issue with how Nvidia sync its systemfiles after a driver update that cause these behaviors. I think it's related to Nvidia backend directory, but I'm not quite sure. I can easily reproduce this by performing a clean installation of Windows 10, wait until all drivers are installed, and then download the latest express driver from Nvidia, and if I don't restart my system afterwards I will experience system slowdowns. To go around this you need to make sure you restart the PC after the driver update even if it doesn't tell you to.

This has been reported by a number of users in another thread. It seems that it's actually a game bug.

Just don't fast-travel directly between Hierarch Square<-->Oxenfurt, and you should be fine.

@Dragonbird Plenty of space on my SSD, almost half is still free. Have also done a full scan using my antivirus, no errors found. Used ccleaner as well to check for registry problems and cleaned my PC. My PC is also relatively new, only months old. I don't know any error logs, but I'll try to google it. The thing is, the verification does finish eventually, it does not fail(sorry forgot to include this on my OP) just takes a long time, it seems to get stuck on the "moving 0/0..." part for a while but it eventually shows "witcher3 verified no files changed...".

@LoveGOG I always shut down and restart after updating anything, even after game patches.

---------- Updated at 09:51 AM ----------

Tried it again, and again the verification completes. But this prompt pops up twice: "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC? Program name: galaxy_the_witcher3_dlc1-16_2.0.0.43.exe ; Verified publisher: GOG Limited ; File origin: Hard drive on this computer". Afterwards my PC would slow down.

I'm guessing this would have something to do with the free dlc program?

But I have the 16 DLCs. I'm using temerian armor as we speak. I've clicked yes and I've clicked no, either way same result, nothing happens except my PC slows down.

@sigi After further testing, it does seem like only hierarch -> oxenfurt harbor is the only problem. I played destination: skellige and fast travelled back to oxenfurt. Fast travel gate of the hierarch <--> portside gate <--> oxenfurt no problems. Fast travel crossroads <--> redgill <-->kare trolde harbor no problems also.

Used sandisk dashboard to run diagnostics on my SSD, no problems. Boot up and shut down still as fast as before as long as I don't verify using galaxy.

I should also probably mention galaxy updated a few moments ago.

But I have the 16 DLCs. I'm using temerian armor as we speak. I've clicked yes and I've clicked no, either way same result, nothing happens except my PC slows down.

@sigi After further testing, it does seem like only hierarch -> oxenfurt harbor is the only problem. I played destination: skellige and fast travelled back to oxenfurt. Fast travel gate of the hierarch <--> portside gate <--> oxenfurt no problems. Fast travel crossroads <--> redgill <-->kare trolde harbor no problems also.

Used sandisk dashboard to run diagnostics on my SSD, no problems. Boot up and shut down still as fast as before as long as I don't verify using galaxy.

I should also probably mention galaxy updated a few moments ago.

I've never done any modding with TW3, but usually "teleporting" in games simply handled by an activator of some sort that runs a script between two flagged locations. It's probably, literally, a typo or something that makes one or both of the destinations non-existent. Probably one of those easy-to-fix but hard-to-find bugs.

Easy enough to work around: just travel to some other nearby destination. (I never fast travel, anyway. I like riding Roach.)

Top Bottom