PS4 Error ce-34878-0

+
Thanks to reddit user DerK4ter I was able to solve this problem. The bugged quest is The Mystery of the Byways Murders, at least for me. Try to solve this quest, afterwards you should be able to fast travel again. It makes sense as some other user in here wrote it worked when doing all the quests in Velen - well, this is one of them and it solves the problem immediately. Please thank DerK4ter on reddit if it works for you as well.

Has anyone else tested and confirmed this yet?

Has anyone else tested and confirmed this yet?

I just did it and it seems to have fixed the crash for me (though we'll see if it returns). I had left The Mystery of the Byways Murders at the point where I was suppose to kill the whatever it was called, but I was at a very low level.

I just did it and it seems to have fixed the crash for me (though we'll see if it returns). I had left The Mystery of the Byways Murders at the point where I was suppose to kill the whatever it was called, but I was at a very low level.

I was at this part prior to the crash, I will try to kill it but I'm only lvl 15 and for those too low level guess it can't be really a solution. I don't expect much but I will try.

When can we expect to the fix to be applied on PS4 and will it fix the issue to all people who are having this error regardless of their current quests or where they reached in the game?

I was at this part prior to the crash, I will try to kill it but I'm only lvl 15 and for those too low level guess it can't be really a solution. I don't expect much but I will try.

I was level 17 and did it, but I'm loaded up on points for Igni and have enhanced griffin armor that magnifies it with a skill and a sword that enhances igni and stuck some vampire oil on it for good measure. Three shots of fire and a couple slashes and it was gone.

Last edited:
Ok guys, I've just tested this, as you are probably aware, I had the problem with loading any save file except for one. I once started the quest The Murders in Byways by accident, without talking to the person that gives the contract. There was a small glitch there, quest advanced and Geralt told the peasants that it's safe even though ghouls were still around. I then moved on as the monster was too strong for me to kill. Later on I was in Novigrad and I was attacked by some thugs hired by a preacher I humiliated before, I killed them and shortly after my game crashed. It happened each time I wanted to load 9 of my 10 saves. One save was working. It was outside of Novigrad (don't know if it matters) and I could play the game fine up until I decided to save. Then I had the crash again, even after deleting all of the files except for the working one.

I read what eeegamer posted about a possible solution and I tried it (credits to DerK4ter also). So what I did is: I finished The Murders in Byways quest. Killed the monster, went back to talk to peasants, fast traveled to report the quest to the contract giver, saved my game. Tried to load the save I have just made. WORKED. Skeptical about it, I've made another save file and loaded it. WORKED. To test it further, I loaded the Checkpoint save that the game made automatically (they crashed before too) and.., WORKED. As a final test I loaded the Auto Save right after I fast traveled to the contract giver (Oredon village). WORKED.

So to sum up, as of now, the saves worked thanks to finishing the mission The Murders in Byways ALL of the saves I made after the mission and all Auto saves and checkpoint saves WORKED. My manual saves WORKED. I can play again normally. Thanks to eeegamer and DerK4ter again. For now my game is back to normal. I hope I'm not being overly happy too soon. I'll update on my progress.

What about the ppl that haven't even found the quest: The Murders in Byways ?????

I am stuck where I have a good save but if I travel to the first area in the game it crashes, if I do ANY quests the game saves get corrupted and even if all I do is sell some stuff and save on a fresh slot the save files are corrupted and crashes the game. ANYTHING I do makes the crash!

Ok guys, I've just tested this, as you are probably aware, I had the problem with loading any save file except for one. I once started the quest The Murders in Byways by accident, without talking to the person that gives the contract. There was a small glitch there, quest advanced and Geralt told the peasants that it's safe even though ghouls were still around. I then moved on as the monster was too strong for me to kill. Later on I was in Novigrad and I was attacked by some thugs hired by a preacher I humiliated before, I killed them and shortly after my game crashed. It happened each time I wanted to load 9 of my 10 saves. One save was working. It was outside of Novigrad (don't know if it matters) and I could play the game fine up until I decided to save. Then I had the crash again, even after deleting all of the files except for the working one.

I read what eeegamer posted about a possible solution and I tried it (credits to DerK4ter also). So what I did is: I finished The Murders in Byways quest. Killed the monster, went back to talk to peasants, fast traveled to report the quest to the contract giver, saved my game. Tried to load the save I have just made. WORKED. Skeptical about it, I've made another save file and loaded it. WORKED. To test it further, I loaded the Checkpoint save that the game made automatically (they crashed before too) and.., WORKED. As a final test I loaded the Auto Save right after I fast traveled to the contract giver (Oredon village). WORKED.

So to sum up, as of now, the saves worked thanks to finishing the mission The Murders in Byways ALL of the saves I made after the mission and all Auto saves and checkpoint saves WORKED. My manual saves WORKED. I can play again normally. Thanks to eeegamer and DerK4ter again. For now my game is back to normal. I hope I'm not being overly happy too soon. I'll update on my progress.

I can CONFIRM that this fixed the issue for me. I had stumbled across the quest and never finished it. I went back and finished, then tried to do the quest that always broke the save and lo and behold, my save afterwards now WORK. Thank you to you both for figuring this out and hopefully this pinpoints the fix even more.

I got like 5 secondary quests that are unfinished due to either higher level needed or that they are in Skellige, which I have not visited yet because I am trying to finish everything in Velen/Novigrad before I even set foot there. And also I am at the main quests: Destination Skellige, Get Junior and Count Reuven't treasure.

Can someone from the CDPR make a sticky of the solution or at least suggest it to people when they send tickets asking for a solution? It worked for 4 people so far, might work for more if the word spreads!

Last edited:
I haven't started this questline (murders in byways), where is it? And is it even relevant info for ppl like me who haven't even started it? doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

I haven't started this questline (murders in byways), where is it? And is it even relevant info for ppl like me who haven't even started it? doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

Like I said, you won't lose anything if you try. The quest is quite high lvl, I think 20+ required, I managed to beat it at lvl 15 though as to where it is, the board for it is in the village of Oreton and then you need to visit the village called Byways which is the south-west corner.

I think I understand the problem, the error "EC-34878", the cause may be the incompatibility backups of previous versions of the game with the version "1.0.3, and the solution would be to make backups of previous versions compliant the game in a new patch

I think I understand the problem, the error "EC-34878", the cause may be the incompatibility backups of previous versions of the game with the version "1.0.3, and the solution would be to make backups of previous versions compliant the game in a new patch

No, this started happening before the patch. So the patch has nothing to do with this.

This is not what I said .I just said that we need a patch that would allow a compatibility 1.0.0 backup and 1.0.2 with the latest current version : 1.0.3

Last edited:
Like I said, you won't lose anything if you try. The quest is quite high lvl, I think 20+ required, I managed to beat it at lvl 15 though as to where it is, the board for it is in the village of Oreton and then you need to visit the village called Byways which is the south-west corner.

I found out that I had actually triggered that quest, I forgot to check under witcher contrcts. I only needed to beat the monster and to my amazement it seems to be working... WOW!! So I will continue to play and hope it continues like this. I noticed that I had not talked with the quest holder so when I did the dialogue was weird as it started as if Geralt hadn't taken it on and then it corrected itself and the quest was completed :D I did a few things I knew corrupted my files and nothing has happened thus far and everything seems ok now! I will not shout too loudly but I can feel hope and will go to sleep feeling good about everything and dream happy thoughts about finally making some progress in the game after a 4-5 days hiatus.

Top Bottom