Reason for Homecoming

+
Reason for Homecoming

What if Homecoming isn't the solution we're looking for?

Personally i don't understand this decision, they are putting all their eggs into this Homecoming basket and from the looks of it this patch will also signal the official release of the game. What if it doesn't work? Why would they do such a major revamp of the game without testing or feedback?
Why not make this a step-by-step process? This way you can see if the direction is right and also keeping the people engaged with the game over this 6 months period.

To me it seems like a big unnecessary risk.

Step by step process will take a longer time than just doing it in one step.

Furthermore different changes affect each other. Things can become complicated then if they are doing it step by step.

That said, if they are really removing a row it wouldn't surprise me if Homecoming failed.

I don't know, homecoming is a necessary change for the game but I also have second thoughts the more I think about it.

Firstly, it took a year and a half of player feedback, beta and multiple massive changes to figure out that the current format doesn't work. If homecoming also doesn't work, it will be too late to fix it.

Secondly, how will Homecoming do without any internal testing and player feedback? How will they even know whether that's what players want without gauging the community's reaction and going straight into release?

Thirdly, if it took a year and a half of beta already, how massive can this change be if it takes only six months? A comparatively far shorter timeframe?

And finally, as great a company as CDPR is in communication, RPG development, storywriting and the like, they do admittedly possess no experience in online CCG development, a fact they themselves have admitted. Combined with the factors above, what are the odds this project will be successful?

I want to believe in HC and CDPR. And the truth is that if that change wasn't made, what Merchant said would probably be true. Gwent would probably be dead in 6 months. But for me the game should remain in beta after homecoming, and even for a time necessary for more core reworks. Because Homecoming needs to be treated like the game going back into Alpha essentially. It sucks to be in Beta for as long as Gwent has been and more but for me increased beta time for more core reworks after homecoming, to figure out what works and what doesn't is the lesser evil. If HC doesn't work, as the plan stands, Gwent is dead. That's it. There will be no more time to fix anything.

Rethaz : Lets print 20 cards every month, release balance patch every month and always listen to Gwent community - nah, you fired
Katarzyna Redesiuk: Let's make 2 rows instead of 3, also forbid beta-testers to test the game step by step for 6 months, no patches for 9 months, and also let's throw all the work that was done in two years, we need go to roots - Yea what a nice idea
:facepalm:

Last edited:
BornBoring;n10876361 said:
Step by step process will take a longer time than just doing it in one step.
There were a lot of steps in this direction: no goldimmunity, no factionability, agility für all cards, rise in bronzevalue, creatmechanics were all steps in the same diretion, 2 rows now are just another step.

Fimbulthrym;n10876521 said:
There were a lot of steps in this direction: no goldimmunity, no factionability, agility für all cards, rise in bronzevalue, creatmechanics were all steps in the same diretion, 2 rows now are just another step.

I would say it differently:
1. Taking the wrong direction
2. Realizing that you are on the wrong track and start project Homecoming
3. Taking the wrong direction again, because you didn't learn anything

Originally I thought Homecoming was about creating some kind of improved version of closed beta gwent. Instead they want to make a completely new game, which has not much to do with the gwent we know. So why call the project homecoming if you're going in a completely different direction?

Last edited:
Iuliandrei;n10876671 said:
I think getting it right is more important than getting it faster.

You forgot my 2nd point.

Small example:
Implementing a prefered-row-system in one step

problem: At the moment the game is designed around cards being agile
You also have to rework and rebalance a lot of cards and archetypes. Do you want to change all the cards everytime you change one important game mechanic?

Doing all in one step is the right decision in my opinion. I just think it's not the time for some weird experiments like removing a row.

Last edited:
I think CDPR should continue to update/balance the current meta.
The homecoming thing could be a new game mode and needs time for testing.

Iuliandrei;n10876321 said:
Why not make this a step-by-step process?

Like they are doing on the last 2 years slowly ruining the game? How many time it takes to "fix" step by step something thats being ruined step by step for 2 years?

ihmo press the reset button was a good call.

Now, what will come from that its unknown. From that post from burza on reddit it seems 100% sure that they are at the very least heavily considering to go the 2 rows path. "It makes sense from a gameplay perspective" lolwut? How something that would result on a completely different game interaction makes sense from a gameplay perspective?

Like Bornboring said, i though they would take a CB version of the game and work their way from there. Thats what I would do at least. But it seems they didnt learned anything from the past 2 years mistakes... i already discovered another "gwent-like" game anyways, i will come back on october to see the results, but i'm not confident they will be any good.

ZenaRose;n10876421 said:
Rethaz : Lets print 20 cards every month, release balance patch every month and always listen to Gwent community - nah, you fired
Katarzyna Redesiuk: Let's make 2 rows instead of 3, also forbid beta-testers to test the game step by step for 6 months, no patches for 9 months, and also let's throw all the work that was done in two years, we need go to roots - Yea what a nice idea
:facepalm:

I'll take Katarzyna any day over rethaz, decision-wise. And it's not even close. He was in charge and what we got at the end of it? Midwinter. Whatever she has in mind (anything she has in mind!), I'll take it over that.

HenryGrosmont;n10881771 said:
I'll take Katarzyna any day over rethaz, decision-wise. And it's not even close. He was in charge and what we got at the end of it? Midwinter. Whatever she has in mind (anything she has in mind!), I'll take it over that.
Yeah sure, I hope you enjoy 9 months of same meta :D

Iuliandrei;n10876321 said:
Why would they do such a major revamp of the game without testing or feedback?
I'd just like to remind people of this clarification from GWENT Homecoming — see what's next for GWENT:
Lilayah;n10811451 said:
Once we’re ready we will have both closed and open PTRs for project Homecoming.
I think it's safe to assume the REDs will continue to incorporate players' feedback along the way.

HenryGrosmont;n10881771 said:

Ditto. Under Rethaz GWENT became the RNG point-slapping fest that it is right now.

Homecoming is absolutely necessary if the game is to have a healthy future and at this point I'm happy to take 6 months of playing other things and popping into GWENT now and again over trying to stick small patch bandages over the gaping axe wound that is the state of GWENT right now.

EDIT :- As for the "printing 20 new cards per month" comment, that's just an absolutely stupid design decision for a CCG. Like, amazingly so. If you don't know why it's stupid, I can't help you.

CallMeHoot;n10882431 said:
As for the "printing 20 new cards per month" comment, that's just an absolutely stupid design decision for a CCG. Like, amazingly so. If you don't know why it's stupid, I can't help you.

Right? I dont know how people buy that or even think thats a good thing.

CallMeHoot;n10882431 said:
Homecoming is absolutely necessary if the game is to have a healthy future

But you have no clue what Homecoming will look like, yet you call it absolutely necessary.

Laveley;n10877731 said:
ihmo press the reset button was a good call.

It's not a reset button in the sense that it goes back to a previous state, also the quality of content has nothing to do with the delivery process, i thought that one was pretty obvious.

Iuliandrei;n10882571 said:
It's not a reset button in the sense that it goes back to a previous state, also the quality of content has nothing to do with the delivery process, i thought that one was pretty obvious.

Call it whatever you want, its a supposed "comeback" to the roots of the game. Dont want to call it "reset button"? ok, call it "homecoming" than. Lets not discuss literacy here.

Laveley;n10883031 said:
Call it whatever you want, its a supposed "comeback" to the roots of the game. Dont want to call it "reset button"? ok, call it "homecoming" than. Lets not discuss literacy here.

I assume you mean semantics, but no, it's not that, i think you missed the point entirely.

Iuliandrei;n10882571 said:
But you have no clue what Homecoming will look like, yet you call it absolutely necessary.

We dont know how it will be, and everyone here will have a different vision on HOW it should be. I sure have mine. However, not knowing how it will turn out doesnt mean anything from the very moment you know the game would be dead before release if left in its current state . It was ABSOLUTELY necessary to do something.

Several months ago, after the MW fiasco, i wrote a post about the state of the game. It seems time proved me right.

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/for...its-good-name-w-gwent?p=10238242#post10238242

You know? by the time i wrote that, i was doubtful. I tought "well, they have been watering down a lot of things lately, maybe thats working, and a lot of new players are coming to try GWENT and staying due to more simple mechanics. Maybe i´m the problem, looking for more strategic play or cards that would severely punish you if played in the wrong situation, maybe CDPR is right and they are getting players by the millions."

But no. We, the so called doomsayers, the guys with the "sky is falling" attitude knew better. I really can´t imagine how dire the situation is if they are willing to take such a step.

Oh, and no, no CCG wants to have 20 new cards per month. None serious CCG, that is.

Top Bottom