Returning players

+

Has the game become better since the Homecoming update?

• Better

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Worse

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Haven't played the beta

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Beta was best

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
Hello,

I've returned to Gwent, haven't played it ever since the Homecoming update. It's been a while, and good lord, what has this game become a firedumpster. And the micro transactions, jezus Christ. They've brought in multiple ways to play each deck, but there is one version of each deck that is properly meta. The rest are just pointless, really. A lot of fluff and filler, while nearly everyone goes for the same meta. It's pathetic, and the state of this game has become pathetic. NR has absolutely nothing going for them, other than the Witcher decks. Nilfgaard has been changed so hard since Beta, it doesn't feel like Nilfgaard at all. Elves are still broken with their moving around shit. It's sad. Skellige.. Well.. They've got good stuff going for them.

Are there any more returning players that feel like this? Why has CD projekt done this to a fresh and good idea? Feels like EA is running the show.

I think Gwent has become a dumpsterfire too and I've been playing 4 years now. Your poll is a bit weird though, because the game right now is definitely better than Homecoming, but nowhere near as good as Beta. So it's hard to answer.

That's because Homecoming cut out all the mechanics of the game like Armor, Shield, Duel, Veteran etc. and decided to slowly reintroduce them in expansions to make money. It was so bare bones at Homecoming you could hardly even call it a strategy game.

Obviously Beta was the greatest period of Gwent, but right now definitely isn't the worst.

Guest 4375874

Hello,

I've returned to Gwent, haven't played it ever since the Homecoming update. It's been a while, and good lord, what has this game become a firedumpster. And the micro transactions, jezus Christ. They've brought in multiple ways to play each deck, but there is one version of each deck that is properly meta. The rest are just pointless, really. A lot of fluff and filler, while nearly everyone goes for the same meta. It's pathetic, and the state of this game has become pathetic. NR has absolutely nothing going for them, other than the Witcher decks. Nilfgaard has been changed so hard since Beta, it doesn't feel like Nilfgaard at all. Elves are still broken with their moving around shit. It's sad. Skellige.. Well.. They've got good stuff going for them.

Are there any more returning players that feel like this? Why has CD projekt done this to a fresh and good idea? Feels like EA is running the show.
"NR has absolutely nothing going for them"? LOL :ROFLMAO: :coolstory:

NR has absolutely nothing going for them, other than the Witcher decks.
NR shieldwall was meta for roughly 6 months along with skellige, since the last expansion. And the NR decks with witchers are fairly strong IMO.

Elves are still broken with their moving around shit.
Movement ST has only seen a reemergence post-wotw expansion which was released 8th of dec. Prior to that it was pretty dead.

Gwent in its current form is probably the best it is going to get, its not going to get better than this. The current meta sees a lot of different viable playstyles available. EDIT: Beta gwent is not coming back, its gone regardless of what one might think of that.

Last edited:
Homecoming is not coming back, its gone regardless of what one might think of that.
I've yet to encounter a single person who has expressed even the slightest interest in returning Gwent to the Homecoming era. I think you meant to say that Beta Gwent is not coming back since that's what the players ask for.

Granted, I wasn't around back then, but it wouldn't take much for Gwent to be better than it is now. The overall card balance over the course of 2020 was not great.

I started playing again this week having had a break for well over a year. Updated my ST deck and have come up against all the meta decks from each faction at rank 23...no surprise. Veil, Devotion, barricade and symbyosis are new to me as is Echo. so I filtered each tag one by i.e. Harmony, poison etc etc. Harmony is rubbish imo Devotion not enough cards, same for sybmiosis. Veil is decent but all these in comparison to other factions are weak.

Getting a dwarf win on ladder is tough. It seems some people are still making silly spell decks and hardly playing any units. Deadeye can get you wins on ladder as a finisher Freya is it? to trigger all the deadeyes to fire but you need 7/8 of them. there's traps..they can be good but ST doesn't have a go-to system that really synergies well with other cards, does it? The other factions all have their "thing"MO and thrive etc But what is ST's?

I started playing again this week having had a break for well over a year. Updated my ST deck and have come up against all the meta decks from each faction at rank 23...no surprise. Veil, Devotion, barricade and symbyosis are new to me as is Echo. so I filtered each tag one by i.e. Harmony, poison etc etc. Harmony is rubbish imo Devotion not enough cards, same for sybmiosis. Veil is decent but all these in comparison to other factions are weak.

Getting a dwarf win on ladder is tough. It seems some people are still making silly spell decks and hardly playing any units. Deadeye can get you wins on ladder as a finisher Freya is it? to trigger all the deadeyes to fire but you need 7/8 of them. there's traps..they can be good but ST doesn't have a go-to system that really synergies well with other cards, does it? The other factions all have their "thing"MO and thrive etc But what is ST's?

They have three. Dwarves, which can actually work, Spells/specials with Gord as a finisher, or Elves/Traps with Eldain and Isengrim or Venossiel as a finisher. Spells are the only ones that seem to get wins, but all of ST stuff is easily counter-able which is why you don't see it much at the top.

Gwent has become better. (for me)

Now i dont play to ladder up, i play for fun. I still win about 50% of the time, but i do play fun decks. (unless i play something pointless like a pure bandit deck for giggles). Im currently exploring D3rk's decks as i've been off the game since august last year.

I made it to pro back in beta, and honestly it also had broken metas and stale decks at the top. Some things about the new Gwent are better, while others are worse.

Adding the minimum unit cap is definately better than old gwent. Also, reducing the rows from 2-3 was an okay way to simplify the game.

Conversely, in old Gwent, the cards actually matched the lore and the unit abilities matched what happened in Witcher 3. I always thought that was pretty neat. Also, the gameplay could get a lot more complex but there were tons of cheese cards that could delete your entire board. Those cheese cards dictated the meta and you could abuse the hell out of them to reach pro.

I don't find myself missing beta, but I do wish there was more deck diversity. So it's a mixed bag for me, I'd say Gwent has stayed about the same.

I'm in mid-break right now... Nothing will ever be as good as beta was. Kards still has that unique renegade spirit that beta had, so that's what I've been playing lately. I respect a game that still has the "cubes" to give players a 'destroy all units' card.... Try that in gwent today... RIP Kambi... Lol😂

I made it to pro back in beta, and honestly it also had broken metas and stale decks at the top. Some things about the new Gwent are better, while others are worse.

Adding the minimum unit cap is definately better than old gwent. Also, reducing the rows from 2-3 was an okay way to simplify the game.

Conversely, in old Gwent, the cards actually matched the lore and the unit abilities matched what happened in Witcher 3. I always thought that was pretty neat. Also, the gameplay could get a lot more complex but there were tons of cheese cards that could delete your entire board. Those cheese cards dictated the meta and you could abuse the hell out of them to reach pro.

I don't find myself missing beta, but I do wish there was more deck diversity. So it's a mixed bag for me, I'd say Gwent has stayed about the same.

Personal opinion, but reducing the rows to fit mobile devices was one of the worst decisions. With three rows, variety would be so much better right now - was a huge negative impact on the game, shouldn't have happened. Three rows to two, removing silver and reducing hand size to 10 all just [...] ill conceived ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom