Scoia'tael vs Skellige

+
Scoia'tael vs Skellige

So, I have just reached level 3, and I think it’s time to decide once and for all what clan I want to focus on for my deck, and for that, I want some help in assess the strength and weaknesses of the two different clans that I have looked at.

I have played several games with both Scoia'tael and Skellige, and they both have something to enjoy. Scoia’tael has their Special Focused ability, able to weaken and eliminate enemy cards much better than any other deck I’ve come across. Meanwhile Skeillige have a pretty unique, self-damaging strategy, as well as powerful resurrection effects, both of which are fun.

But, I’m pretty sure that to start with especially, it’s best to take one deck and focus on it above all, and so I’m hoping that other’s can help me assess the strength and weaknesses of both to make my decision.

Though I will admit, with a weak starting leader, and a weak clan ability... Scoia’tael aren’t look all that great in my eyes, as fun as they are.

Last edited:
I see you are still not convinced about the Scoia'tael faction ability. I think Rawls explianed the tactics involved much better than I coud do it, so I'll leave that there :)
I don't think Francesca is a weak leader, not at all, in fact I'm still using her. It's very useful in combo decks, but you need a solid strategy. Some decks you can play with Scoia'tael are:

-Neophytes deck: it can be a buff based deck (where you aim for big number of neophytes and thunderbolt/Saskia/Vri Offcier them). Or going for Aelirenn suicide neohpytes deck.
-Special/Hawker support deck: Lot of special cards played through elven mercenaries for dealing damage and buffing your HS.
-Dwarf deck: built specially around Mahakam defenders who stay in the field after every turn.
-Ambush deck: still a bit tricky to play a full ambush deck, wouldn't recommend it for beginners.

Or you can combine them. Some staple cards for every deck, are Agläis, Nature's Gift, and Blue Mountain Commandos: you need to buff units, Hawker healer + Blue Commando. Deal more damage? DB Archers + BMC. More special cards played? Elven mercenary + BMC.

If you are really interested, visit us adorable Scoia'tael players over those threads :

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum/en/gwent/tactician-s-corner/3443372-scoia-tael-deck-strategies

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...orner/6938450-the-weakness-that-is-scoia-tael

And we can elaborate more on the matter.

As for Skellige decks, I've seen good decks not built around the now nerfed priestess of Freya, but i only play Scoia so I can't talk from my own experience.

That isn't all that helpful. I know that Scoia is a powerful clan, and they have very strong abilities if you combo them well together. I have been playing several games with them, focusing as much as I can on Hawker, and it's a fun, powerful deck. I won't deny that.

What I need is to see the pros and cons of th Socia clan vs the Pros and Cons of the Skellige clan to really make up my mind.

The biggest point pro Skellige is definitely that it's not affected that much by weather. You can make a deck that is mostly immune to weather. Even more so, it makes sense to implement weather cards to your strategy. Also with Skellige you have several cards that minimize the luck dependence. With a deck of 25 cards and when drawing Ermion, Birna Bran and making proper use of the pirates and so on... you usually reach up to 90% of all your cards.

Scoia'tael on the other hand is great when it comes to using and reusing special cards. With certain cards and leaders you can use for example commander horn more than two times - which can really blow up your numbers big time! But weather vulnerability can always fuck it up again big time. After all - as we all know - Clear Weather will not restore your buffs. Still there are cards that block special cards (like weather cards...) and due to the possibility of choosing who starts you can try to get card advantage which would especially be helpful against Monsters.

I think that the starter deck of Skellige is a bit better but if you invest a bit in Scoia'tel it's pretty strong.

allanpike;n7001420 said:
So, I have just reached level 3, and I think it’s time to decide once and for all what clan I want to focus on for my deck, and for that, I want some help in assess the strength and weaknesses of the two different clans that I have looked at.

I have played several games with both Scoia'tael and Skellige, and they both have something to enjoy. Scoia’tael has their Special Focused ability, able to weaken and eliminate enemy cards much better than any other deck I’ve come across. Meanwhile Skeillige have a pretty unique, self-damaging strategy, as well as powerful resurrection effects, both of which are fun.

But, I’m pretty sure that to start with especially, it’s best to take one deck and focus on it above all, and so I’m hoping that other’s can help me assess the strength and weaknesses of both to make my decision.

Though I will admit, with a weak starting leader, and a weak clan ability... Scoia’tael aren’t look all that great in my eyes, as fun as they are.

Scoia'tael definitely has a worse off starter deck, in my opinion. Most of their better strategies rely on Elven Mercenary and a very expensive spell collection to work well. They have plenty of pieces that must work together to be effective (some 3+ card combos), where other factions can generate good value with fewer pieces needed. The result is that Scoia'tael requires a lot of epic/legendary cards to improve consistency (such as Decoy, The Last Wish, Yaevinn, and Aglais).

For a new player, I would recommend staying away from Scoia'tael unless you're willing to buy your way into massive scrap investment to build a competent deck. There are cheaper Scoia'tael decks that can work well but they will underperform without the right legendaries. Fransesca can mitigate that lack of consistency but at the cost of power (which Eithne provides).

Scoia'tael has cheaper decks that can be built without too many legendaries but they are, frankly, outclassed by the higher-end decks of every faction.

Skellige can definitely do more with less, but its best builds (discard variants) are still reliant on some expensive cards.

allanpike;n7002470 said:
That isn't all that helpful. I know that Scoia is a powerful clan, and they have very strong abilities if you combo them well together. I have been playing several games with them, focusing as much as I can on Hawker, and it's a fun, powerful deck. I won't deny that.

What I need is to see the pros and cons of th Socia clan vs the Pros and Cons of the Skellige clan to really make up my mind.

Uh, you are welcome? I was basically addresing your claim that faction and ability leader are weak. They are not, so for me those thing are definitely not a CON, but a PRO. But to each its own, I guess.

Hmnmm... yeah, I will admit, the draw and discard is pretty appealing I admit. And the lack of initial power of the Socia... I've had fun with them, I will admit. But looking at the cards, if I REALLY want to upgrade from the starter decks using all the scrap I can get now I can finally mill cards. Skielliage is the way to go.

And if I play enough, I can always get more Socia cards and switch between the two.

Noela;n7003030 said:
Uh, you are welcome? I was basically addresing your claim that faction and ability leader are weak. They are not, so for me those thing are definitely not a CON, but a PRO. But to each its own, I guess.

Yeah sure. Focus on the smallest and opinion part of post. I'm sure that'll be helpful.

If you think that faction leader and faction ability are "smallest", then obviously you and I don't have the same take on the game. Anyway, I'm done with this thread. Excuse me for trying to help to the best of my capability.

Top Bottom