Series X Pixelated Visual Artifacting FSR 2.1 | DRS

+
Just replying here to say that, yes, this is still a huge issue on Xbox. Makes driving around the city at night just unbearable. Issue persists on RT and Performance modes, regardless of any graphics options enabled/disabled. Feels much more noticeable recently (since 2.0 or 2.1) than it was before. It’s been over a year since this was first reported, plus numerous other threads here and on Reddit and Twitter. Please CDPR, fix this already.

And for the record: I’m on Xbox Series X, have played on both an LG C2 and a TCL Q6, have tried turning on/off all video options on the console and graphics options in game. On a 60+ hour save that I started after PL released.
I sent another ticket and got another email saying the team is aware of the issue so I don’t know if it will ever get fixed but I’m still hoping.

I sent another ticket and got another email saying the team is aware of the issue so I don’t know if it will ever get fixed but I’m still hoping.
They will fix it with the release of FSR 3 next year I guess. This will be the last update that adds a new feature beside of bug fixing. So we all have to wait for this.

Dosq

Forum regular
They will fix it with the release of FSR 3 next year I guess. This will be the last update that adds a new feature beside of bug fixing. So we all have to wait for this.

I hope. I can't play with this problem. This irritates me terribly and completely throws me off my game. I hope this will be fixed soon and the Xbox Series X version will finally be playable.

Looking back at DigitalFoundry's old coverage of patch 1.61 is depressing. The guy mentions the bug at 15:47, but spends less than a sentence on it and seems to think it's only a Series S problem: "...and in fact, on series X specifically, there's moments where the image momentarily breaks up during basic forward movement..."

The ridiculous part is that you can actually see it happening in their own Series X footage earlier in the same video. (~4:45) It's not as clear as it is in the darker footage, but it's definitely there.

Considering just how often you can see it happening in the Series S footage (14:20), I cannot understand why DF chose to bury the lead like this. The rest of the video is mostly gushing about how great FSR is, and as far as I'm aware, they don't mention the issue again until the 2.0/PL video, where they give the issue barely more attention than they did in the first video. Hell, Richard just did a video on benchmarking CP2077 that is full of Xbox footage where the FSR artifacts are blatantly obvious, but not a single mention made.

I feel like a proper treatment of this issue from an outlet like DF would be one of the few things that might motivate CDPR to get off their lazy asses and fix this issue, so it's disappointing that DF have glossed over it so much.

Last edited:
I just bought Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition on Xbox, and I noticed artifacts in the game at night. Discovering that I still had to download a 50GB patch for my game after a three-disc installation was extremely disappointing.
Calling it an Ultimate Edition is misleading, as the game didn't even start without the 50GB download.
Now I see artifacts when driving, and the worst part is that it's not even a new issue; it's an old problem that they didn't bother fixing.
Why the heck are they even calling it an Ultimate Edition, and why is this an Xbox problem?
I don't encounter this issue in other games. How is this even possible? Why isn't the gaming media addressing it?
I already had this game on PC, and now I have a broken Ultimate Edition on Xbox. Nice!

Has anyone had any recent feedback from CDPR regarding this issue? It does seem like it may be something specific to the way the Xbox console itself handles FSR as although I cant remember which game it was, I believe there was also another game that had similar problems on the Xbox with FSR that were pretty much absent on the PS5 version. Another interesting observation is that even though it also uses FSR and the same engine, The Witcher 3 doesn't have any of these issues as far as I am aware.

Xbox OS - Xbox Drivers - Red Engine - FSR
From one of them or a combination of some/all. Doesn't seem easy to fix anyway, because if it was, this issue would be already fixed ;)
Digital Foundry was able to reproduce this on PC, too. Maybe it is not easy to fix, but the way they communicate about it isn't professional. There was just one short answer on twitter. Apart from that, you might think everything would be OK, but it definitely isn't.

I cant remember which game it was, I believe there was also another game that had similar problems on the Xbox with FSR that were pretty much absent on the PS5 version.
The Avatar game seems to have significantly more of a reconstruction artifact problem on XSX than it does on PS5. Digital Foundry mentioned it, but understated its severity as usual. This video is a better example of how bad it is: Connxtion |  Xbox
Another interesting observation is that even though it also uses FSR and the same engine, The Witcher 3 doesn't have any of these issues as far as I am aware.
Does TW3 use dynamic resolution scaling though? It seems as though this CP2077 issue is caused by an interaction between FSR and DRS. It appears that the flaring/artifacting occurs when the engine kicks up/down the rendering res. The issue is more widespread in taxing areas than easy to render ones. If you go stand in the corner of the map looking at a simple environment, you're unlikely to see any artifacts. That's probably why 2.0 exacerbated it; 2.0 introduced more aggressive DRS.

Last edited:
Seems to be fixed, i tried it and yes i didn't see the problem anymore driving at night, really happy about it, would have been great to see it on the ultimate disc version but ok.
The only thing missing is a better implementation of TAA , that would make it perfect.

Edit: tested it again and yes i can see it but at least it's less.

Last edited:
Ok tried again today also on new patch. I`ve noticed i can play a lot longer now which i am happy about no headaches or nausea. i can still see the glitching and shimmering every so often but its less noticeable now. The previous version was an abomination glitching every 5 to 10 seconds. After 15 mins of game play i had to switch the game off as it was messing with my head at least now its tolerable as its less frequent. Still sent a ticket outlining the issue as when it does occur its very jarring. Hopefully they will fix it properly in FSR3 implementation.

https://streamable.com/u2xam9 here is video of the issue which i sent to support you can see it at the start and multiple times near the end (only available for 48 hours)

Last edited:
DO THEY FIXED FSR 2.1 VISUAL ARTERFACTS OM XBOX SERIES X? PLS LEAVE FEEDBACK
Just started a new playthrough so I can't really say nor confirm myself, but some other tested a bit in 2.11 and apparently it still present but way, way more rarer.
Seems to be fixed, i tried it and yes i didn't see the problem anymore driving at night, really happy about it, would have been great to see it on the ultimate disc version but ok.
The only thing missing is a better implementation of TAA , that would make it perfect.

Edit: tested it again and yes i can see it but at least it's less.
Ok tried again today also on new patch. I`ve noticed i can play a lot longer now which i am happy about no headaches or nausea. i can still see the glitching and shimmering every so often but its less noticeable now. The previous version was an abomination glitching every 5 to 10 seconds. After 15 mins of game play i had to switch the game off as it was messing with my head at least now its tolerable as its less frequent.

Absolutely NOT fixed. Saw at least 5 instances in less than a minute of entering the game. Frequency seemed to be pretty much the same as it was before. Remember that the frequency was always variable. It's more noticeable in some areas than others, probably due to its relationship with DRS.

NOT fixed in new patch 2.11, very dissapointed, shame i can't refund it, because i had played 40 hours before CDPR dropped 2.1 patch and destroy everything

Dosq

Forum regular
I'm very sorry but unfortunately NOTHING has improved. They didn't fix anything. It's a pity because I would like to complete CP2077 at 100% and complete Phanom Liberty, but it's not possible at the moment. The new Avatar also has the same problem but it is much smaller and less annoying.

I'm not a developer and am definitely not going to tell someone that is in a profession I'm not in. This is just an observation from watching media about tech for 40 years. My guess is putting the game at a fixed resolution then using FSR 2 to upscale to the end resolution for an example fixed 1080p to a upscaled 1440p would work better from what I'm gathering FSR doesn't work well with dynamic res FSR needs previous frames to make a stable image but if the the resolution keeps changing quickly the previous frames are all different and it seems FSR struggles with that.

Last edited:
I'm not a developer and am definitely not going to tell someone that is in a profession I'm not in. This is just an observation from watching media about tech for 40 years. My guess is putting the game at a fixed resolution then using FSR 2 to upscale to the end resolution for an example fixed 1080p to a upscaled 1440p would work better from what I'm gathering FSR doesn't work well with dynamic res FSR needs previous frames to make a stable image but if the the resolution keeps changing quickly the previous frames are all different and it seems FSR struggles with that.
And maybe it's not just a CDPR problem On XBOX- Insider you can find that under known issues:
  • We are investigating user reports of some titles experiencing unexpected display or graphical issues.
But I agree. Maybe it would be better to switch back to their own TAA + sharpening- filter solution.

Top Bottom