Seriously - Poison?? Binary, boring, annoying, all too common these days

+

Is poison a good/well impemented mechanic in Gwent?

• Total voters

Guest 4368268

Many skills should be reworked.

Maybe:

1.Purify : "Remove unit status and prevent next status cast on this unit".

2.Resurrect/Second Wind/shuffle from graveyard to deck: "Add Weakened status to this card - it power is halved, and it does just half of special powers (card specific,maybe some exemptions).

point 2. to cure Wild Boar / Masquerade Ball [...]

Edited. -Draconifors
I think your idea of preventing the next status is interesting. It's certainly fair as a defensive mechanism against poison, but preventing a unit from getting locked on the other hand will quickly be abused and cause even more problems.
i don't know why but developers just don't care what players think. same happened to WoT too. it took 3 years to developers listen to one advice from players. many players are sick of op ng deck and nothing changed for a long while.
I believe it's because acknowledging problems means they have to start thinking of solutions. I don't think they're too lazy to do so, I just believe they're probably under-staffed to deal with the scope of problems Homecoming has and so often play dumb. If they admit poison is a bad mechanic that means there's a couple dozen cards to rework.
You can't do that against a proper NG player, they'll just Use Yennefers Invocation on it, and then goodbye.
Yep, the unfortunate situation with NG is no matter how you try to play around the poison going off they'll have an answer. Unless you give them nothing to poison to begin with, but not everyone wants to play swarm just so they don't get their board wiped clean.

The most ridiculously OP poison cards aren't even in the NG faction though, that would be syndicate. It's just that NG has masquerade ball. But the Syndicate poison card that gives them 4 coins and costs 4 provisions is ultimately one of the crazier cards in the game. A cheap card that gives 4 coins thereby enabling hoard engines/spenders while setting up removal for your opponents strongest card on the board, crazy.

I think your idea of preventing the next status is interesting. It's certainly fair as a defensive mechanism against poison, but preventing a unit from getting locked on the other hand will quickly be abused and cause even more problems.

Actually, I think they need to separate locks out as something else than a regular status. I thought from the beginning that purify for locks was pretty ridiculous. Before that you needed specific cards to remove locks, not just remove a status.

With all the purify etc in the game, lock has really lost alot of value, and has become a very risky solution. Removing is simply better, lock is too risky.

Imo, the issue isn't even with the Scenario it's that you can go full Lockdown, throw in a robust poison engine and still enough room for standard removal.

Most poison cards just need to have their provision increased because while they might not be amazing alone; they combo together really, really well.

And imo Rot Tosser creates snowbally situations. It's so good I run ways to get out 3+ in a game.

Every single deck that can run poison, run it. Every.single.time.

That should tell you how OP it is.

It's literally killing deck diversity, as if you are vulnerable to poison, don't bother.

Guest 4375874

Actually, I think they need to separate locks out as something else than a regular status. I thought from the beginning that purify for locks was pretty ridiculous. Before that you needed specific cards to remove locks, not just remove a status.

With all the purify etc in the game, lock has really lost alot of value, and has become a very risky solution. Removing is simply better, lock is too risky.
did you just say lock is risky lol.....for who exactly? I can only speak for myself but purifying a unit is NOT easy because the units that do purify do not have synergy with my deck. The units with purify and good synergy are largely in NG or ST, for most other factions they are very costly and if they're cheap they're not worth adding and you're better off taking the risk because they'd just throw off any strategy you might have. Lock has lost no value....unless you're not talking about NG

Developers don’t give a shit what you think, there’s no point in arguing about it, they’ll do whatever they want anyway.

I’m sure they never read the forum.

They think the poison fun.
They think Nilfgaard is fun.

Lock has lost no value....unless you're not talking about NG

Locks has lost value. There is simply too much purify in the game now. Before that locks could only be removed, with among a few cards Mahakam Ale. Now there is alot of cards that remove locks, so they have lost value.

Purify yes, better or worse for some, but often brought along due to the binary win/lose condition of defender. Most factions have cheap and good purify, except NR, and chances are if you lock a powerful card, it will be purified. It was far less common to be able to remove locks before, and so they have lost value.

Not only have they lost value, but locks have fallen out of favour as well, I mean for other factions than NG (and somewhat ST). It was quite common before to include a neutral lock card, even MO did this. Dimeritium Shackles is now a laughable card, but believe it or not a decent and used card before.

If you look at "everything locks" and the situation of locks, it's very clear that locks have lost alot of value. And on powerful order cards, using a lock a solution is a highly risky solution, whereas before it was a well worth solution with a relatively low risk.

Guest 4368268

Maybe it's time to make Angouleme steal an artifact from the opponents deck rather than spawn one.
That way committing to these scenarios too much has a strong proactive punish.

Maybe it's time to make Angouleme steal an artifact from the opponents deck rather than spawn one.
I mean a lot of people complain that it's possible to destroy Scenarios with a 5 provision card, Imagine how ape shit crazy they would get with this :ROFLMAO:

Guest 4375874

I mean a lot of people complain that it's possible to destroy Scenarios with a 5 provision card, Imagine how ape shit crazy they would get with this :ROFLMAO:
lol true...though most of those complaints were probably from NG players who have Double ball which is ridiculous. Recently I rarely come across scenarios in ranked matches unless they were from NG or SK
Post automatically merged:

Developers don’t give a shit what you think, there’s no point in arguing about it, they’ll do whatever they want anyway.

Developers do give a shit what you think, at the end of the day it's a business. They just won't act until players stop playing. I have for over a month now but obviously I'm just one player so that alone might not make a difference but at the least I won't be spending my money on the game until they address the balancing issues. The more players do that then we're likely to see action

Developers do give a shit what you think, at the end of the day it's a business. They just won't act until players stop playing. I have for over a month now but obviously I'm just one player so that alone might not make a difference but at the least I won't be spending my money on the game until they address the balancing issues. The more players do that then we're likely to see action

We're in the same boat, that makes us 2. I'm not that interested in playing as things are currently.

I still care alot for this game and hope that they sort things out. At the core it's a very interesting and fun game.

Guest 4398794

N
No more steals. Damn such a bad idea. Don't give a nother tool for even more disbalance

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 4375874

Locks has lost value. There is simply too much purify in the game now. Before that locks could only be removed, with among a few cards Mahakam Ale. Now there is alot of cards that remove locks, so they have lost value.

Purify yes, better or worse for some, but often brought along due to the binary win/lose condition of defender. Most factions have cheap and good purify, except NR, and chances are if you lock a powerful card, it will be purified. It was far less common to be able to remove locks before, and so they have lost value.

Not only have they lost value, but locks have fallen out of favour as well, I mean for other factions than NG (and somewhat ST). It was quite common before to include a neutral lock card, even MO did this. Dimeritium Shackles is now a laughable card, but believe it or not a decent and used card before.

If you look at "everything locks" and the situation of locks, it's very clear that locks have lost alot of value. And on powerful order cards, using a lock a solution is a highly risky solution, whereas before it was a well worth solution with a relatively low risk.
You say locking a powerful unit is not viable but the only faction with cheap locks is NG who can lock a unit several times over so unless your deck is filled with purify units, at which point your deck synergy is now ruined, then there's no way around it. Locks have never been a large part of any other faction to my knowledge because control is somewhat limited to NG . A neutral lock or purify unit being added here and there in other factions doesn't mean lock is weakened, if anything they had to be added because of how many and how cheap NG lock/poison units are which made the game unbalanced.

I used a deathwish deck which as you can imagine makes a lock deck the worst possible match-up. I had to play at least 4 or 5 cards knowing they'll get locked before I can counter at which point they're already ahead in points and can just pass, putting me at a disadvantage and since they nerfed the Deathwish leader ability you now have to rely on a lot of consume units which makes you vulnerable. The only viable lock removal unit worth adding to my deck was Aguara because of the card type but provision cost is 9. Similar to Bomb heaver and other lazily tacked on solutions, adding cards to counter NG often comes at the cost of breaking your strategy because these cards don't have synergy with your faction in the way NG and locks do.

You say locking a powerful unit is not viable but the only faction with cheap locks is NG who can lock a unit several times over so unless your deck is filled with purify units, at which point your deck synergy is now ruined, then there's no way around it. Locks have never been a large part of any other faction to my knowledge because control is somewhat limited to NG . A neutral lock or purify unit being added here and there in other factions doesn't mean lock is weakened, if anything they had to be added because of how many and how cheap NG lock/poison units are which made the game unbalanced.

I used a deathwish deck which as you can imagine makes a lock deck the worst possible match-up. I had to play at least 4 or 5 cards knowing they'll get locked before I can counter at which point they're already ahead in points and can just pass, putting me at a disadvantage and since they nerfed the Deathwish leader ability you now have to rely on a lot of consume units which makes you vulnerable. The only viable lock removal unit worth adding to my deck was Aguara because of the card type but provision cost is 9. Similar to Bomb heaver and other lazily tacked on solutions, adding cards to counter NG often comes at the cost of breaking your strategy because these cards don't have synergy with your faction in the way NG and locks do.

No, I'm saying it is risky not unviable. I'm talking about say a 8+p gold one time order unit or something similar. (try locking damien)

Locks were popular before even outside of NG, especially for ST, but many MO decks also included neutral locks, including even dimeritium shackles, but more often dorregarray, sometimes both. Same for NR, they had their own lock, but sometimes also included the neutral or shackles. Locking was quite powerful.
NG always had the best locks, ST second. MO had no locks on their own and SK had but generally didn't need to lock, but often still included their own lock unit. Locks were powerful and thus a tool most faction could and in many cases did use.

How many MO decks do you see including locks these days? Or even NR? Or SK? Almost never. And how many people do you see bringing Mahakam Ale nowadays? Before it was a somewhat popular card, simply because locks were that good. Not the case anymore.

What you are saying in the end, is that deck building should be without consideration of possible counters, and any counters are invalid and just disturb your freedom in building whatever deck you want. I find that preposterous.

I don't mind purify, I'm just saying the value of locks have been reduced while the rest of the game has tempoed so far ahead that locking now is a pretty terrible thing to use unless you want the enemy to tempo way ahead of you. Lock units need a boost simply, because their value is pretty bad. Comparable bronze units might get 6-7 value from a 4 p card if certain conditions are met, while alba gets 4 plus the lock, which is terrible in the current situation. I think the card need a higher body, simple as that, and/or a provision reduction.

You're not exactly wrong but not right either. They care but at this point, poison is here to stay and so is their love of developing NG and that love is translating into an over developed archetype themed on control and statuses. I gave up on fighting the trend and just started playing NG.

N

No more steals. Damn such a bad idea. Don't give a nother tool for even more disbalance
Damn straight. Seize is imbalanced as a mechanic and almost impossible to balance without making the cards that seize massively inefficient.

Damn straight. Seize is imbalanced as a mechanic and almost impossible to balance without making the cards that seize massively inefficient.

Nah, I think seize is a great mechanic in this game, one of the things that enrich this game and make it more interesting.

Guest 4368268

N

Scenarios are a plague on the balance of the game. Meta dependent tech cards against it will not be. That's like the people that say Bomb Heaver is the card in need of a nerf here.

Guest 4398794

Scenarios are a plague on the balance of the game. Meta dependent tech cards against it will not be. That's like the people that say Bomb Heaver is the card in need of a nerf here.
Yes they are too. Except nr and mo scenario, those are kinda weak.

Nah, I think seize is a great mechanic in this game, one of the things that enrich this game and make it more interesting.
Size is as terrible.
Svers is kinda ok with the 3point card , but more then that is too much, like yeninvo or philipa, although philipa is costly. Who likes their things to be stolen, I bet nobody.

Yes they are too. Except nr and mo scenario, those are kinda weak.

Size is as terrible.
Svers is kinda ok with the 3point card , but more then that is too much, like yeninvo or philipa, although philipa is costly. Who likes their things to be stolen, I bet nobody.

Philippa is the only unreasonable seize card. I think also the seize ability of Enslave could be changed to every 5th tactic card instead of 4, or something else entirely. Like increase the seize by 1 for each unique card category in your deck or whatever, to encourage more diverse deck, rather than Enslave special cards decks.

Enslave was in the game for a long time, and was never really popular until a certain point of time where it became overly popular.

Top Bottom