Sexual preferences in CP77

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum veteran
I really hate when people use the "let someone mod it in" argument. It is only an excuse to try and justify not including something that other people might want, OR to defend a broken game and have other people fix it.
Normally I'd agree with this line of thinking, but that really only applies when you're talking about a series like The Elder Scrolls where huge amounts of the game are left bare and the games are released full of a million bugs with the anticipation that fans will fix everything on their own. Using the modding community for romances (or even going 50/50, which seems the better option) could potentially mean a larger modding community as a whole and CDPR creating a more newbie-friendly REDkit. It'd also give them more time for extra polish, which their games have historically needed a bit more of at launch.

Comparing (what should be) side content like romances to the entire rest of the game is exactly the kind of over-focus on relationships and romances that I hope 2077 manages to avoid. Is it really such an integral element of the world as to warrant the comparison?

One of the problems with relying on modding is dialogue. On the assumption that the game will be fully-voiced, the required audio files just wouldn't exist. I would hope for more than just random grunting and groaning.

There are times when modding is the answer, but I think that romance/sex is too integral, and too high on many people's wishlist, to be left to modders. The "leave it to the modders" argument works for some things, like a desire to have bronies in the game, but not for this.

Forum veteran
I'm hoping for unvoiced dialogue for both that reason and the amount of dialogue that will be able to added without the costs of voice acting. If it's voiced, though, then yeah, modding obviously wouldn't work.

It's just a bit disappointing to see how important "romances" are to some people. It's almost a BSN-esque level of zealotry, and I'm deeply hoping that those people end up disappointed by a lesser focus on that kind of fan service-y stuff because of how trivial and shallow it tends to become when it's focused on too intently.

It's just a bit disappointing to see how important "romances" are to some people. It's almost a BSN-esque level of zealotry, and I'm deeply hoping that those people end up disappointed by a lesser focus on that kind of fan service-y stuff because of how trivial and shallow it tends to become when it's focused on too intently.

I just don't see this happening with CDPR's writers at the helm. Romance or otherwise, they write characters who have their own agendas. Ok, TW1 had Geralt as sex stud super star, but they did a complete 180 in TW2. Hookers were often derisive of Geralt, Ves took some serious convincing, Sile was downright aloof. Phillipa a lesbian. All sorts of failure for Geralt in that game, and all of it was done without making romance the focus. If anything, it was a temporary diversion. This is in stark contrast to the way Bioware works.

Last edited:
I would hope for more than just random grunting and groaning.

Wrong thread. Tch tch tch. http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/26964-Oversexualizaton-in-Cyberpunk

Not to beat a dead horse, or agree with Slim, (ugh), but please remember that this is CDPR. Bet on voiced dialogue. Bet on complicated sexual roles and even preferences. Bet on complexity period - these deranged Poles seem to revel in it.

There is a trade-off, sure - mods will either be poorly voiced or not voiced. Oh, well.

Forum veteran
This is in stark contrast to the way Bioware works.
That's true, but development teams are in a constant state of flux and the name "CDPR" isn't necessarily a ward against bad writing. Who's to say that the team will resemble its current self by the time 2077's development is in full swing? The lack of a set character like in the Witcher games makes the whole thing doubly difficult; not only are there no preexisting characters to draw personality traits and shared histories from, but the wide range of disparate 2020 roles likely means that creating anything resembling meaningful "romance" requires way more work than they're accustomed to.

I have faith in their writing, but can't help but think that it's unrealistic to expect a lot on the relationship/romance side of things because of the setting and its unique challenges. Faith or not, a potential pitfall is still a potential pitfall.

There is a trade-off, sure - mods will either be poorly voiced or not voiced. Oh, well.
I WILL CREATE A MOD WITH THE LOUDEST MUTE PERSON EVER DREAMT UP.

How about no to "let fans mod it in" argument. If we are going to use that argument, how about cdpr just release the engine and let fans mod the whole game themselves? Oh, that does not work.

It doesn't? I guess I've been dreaming all these years when I thought I was playing Neverwinter Nights.

One of the problems with relying on modding is dialogue. On the assumption that the game will be fully-voiced, the required audio files just wouldn't exist.

Some of the Skyrim mods are voiced. And a couple quite well.

Bet on complexity period - these deranged Poles seem to revel in it.

I happen to like deranged Poles. They do good work, more game companies should take lessons from them.

Last edited:
This thread is becoming nightmare fuel as I imagine home made voiced mods for sexual encounters.... every chick in the game is suddenly sporting an adam's apple and sounding like Al Green sucking on helium...

What I want; Gay relationship dislodge (acknowledgement), Gay sex (gross right?) and maybe some gay themed clubs, wear, merch.

i really wouldn't like this kind of pandering in a cyberpunk game
if there is sex in the game it should be there because it serves the story cdpr is trying to tell...i don't care if it's heterosexual or homosexual

Yessss I want optional same sex relationships but not where the gay characters are completely over the top. This is a gritty and dark universe, I'd like to see bad ass women and bad ass men who aren't just like "hello I'm gay [flips hair] :)" no NO give them real personalities, hell one character could even be in denial about their sexuality.

To be honest CDPR already created one great gay/bi - sexual character.

They just have to maintain this quality level.

I thought Sapkowski created her...

[/pedant mode OFF]

Ciri in game is practically brand new character. Sapkowski himself stated that at the end of the book she is like tabula rasa. And yes she's define as bisexual/homosexual in books but in game Reds handed her quite awesomely. Drastic improvement from Assassins of Kings.

Ciri in game is practically brand new character..

Ye-ah. I'm no Ciri expert - or even a fan, particularly - but she seemed pretty much like the book version. Spunky, etc. Hard to see a lot of character development in the relatively few encounters in-game.

And her sexual preferences didn't show up for me at all in game, other than she seemed to like that poor Skellige kid.

Which is fine, but I wouldn't say the bisexuality played any part in her character development that I saw.

That's precisely the point.

Well, it's not, really, if you're talking a homosexual/bisexual character.

Sexuality is crazy important to people. It hugely defines us. Being a minority sexual preference, if that -is- a character preference, should help form that character development. As or more powerful than what religion you are or your opinions on violence as a problem solver.

Sexuality matters. Hugely.

So if you aren't going to make that orientation a prominent part of that character, don't even bother with it - and don't use it to describe the character. It becomes about as relevant as eye colour if it affects the plot and personality as much.

@Sardukhar

It matters in real life, but not in video game, unless you make one focused on sexual identity.

The very best LGBT characters in video games were in TLOU
Bill and Ellie
, complex, believable people living in postapo world, which happened to be gay. I don't want for video game character to be define by sexual orientation or gender. Let's just focus on creating awesome characters and figure out details (available romance options etc.) later.

Last edited:
To be honest CDPR already created one great gay/bi - sexual character.

They just have to maintain this quality level.

Well, I would agree that Ciri is bisexual, but I would strongly disagree that she is homosexual.. Too much evidence in the game against that.

In any case, she is an awesome character and in Witcher 3, CDPR portrayed that flawlessly.

[video=youtube;iy-UKF1xpf4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy-UKF1xpf4[/video]

ROBOTS DESERVE EQUALITY! ROBOTS CAN BE SEXUAL TOO... I GUESS... I DON'T KNOW... I HAVE NEVER MET A ROBOT THAT HAD THAT PROBLEM... I HAVE NEVER MET A ROBOT IN GENERAL... I will stop yelling now! I want to leave this with a heartwarming final note:

Well, it's not, really, if you're talking a homosexual/bisexual character.

Sexuality is crazy important to people. It hugely defines us. Being a minority sexual preference, if that -is- a character preference, should help form that character development. As or more powerful than what religion you are or your opinions on violence as a problem solver.

Sexuality matters. Hugely.

So if you aren't going to make that orientation a prominent part of that character, don't even bother with it - and don't use it to describe the character. It becomes about as relevant as eye colour if it affects the plot and personality as much.

Yeah.. All that.. but will I be able to make an army of sexy robots of doom?

Like Japan did that one time...

Just look at those.... curves... I guess..

Anyway, all jokes aside, if we ever see sexualized robots in Cyberpunk, (Not as in "robots with advanced AI", more like "robots programmed to do something or the other" type of thing. You know, something like a VI, a robot that can't go outside its programming. I should probably call it androids, but nah..) I expect them to fallow a similar route to Bladerunner:

Could be hacked and used to kill.. Imagine that...

Last edited:
It should not be in the game cus gays are lame and Uhh .... I'm kidding :D!... but yeah..... clubs can be clubs. I don't think we need to make gay clubs, they are humans too and not from another planet. They can have diff club themes but one just for gays.... I personally don't feel it but others will want it probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom