Silent Protagonist?

+
Voiced protagonist only works well (relative to the quality of the VO, of course) if you have a set character (like Geralt). But if you can create your PC from multiple options, having him/her have a set vocal tone can be very distracting. I believe CP will have you create your character, and thus going silent would be the best choice.

Voiced protagonist only works well (relative to the quality of the VO, of course) if you have a set character (like Geralt). But if you can create your PC from multiple options, having him/her have a set vocal tone can be very distracting. I believe CP will have you create your character, and thus going silent would be the best choice.

Umm...ever played games like Mass Effect? You can customize your character, but you still get voiceovers.

Umm...ever played games like Mass Effect? You can customize your character, but you still get voiceovers.

Yes, but the character is always Shepard there. It makes sense for him/her to always have the same voice. It, however, does not make much sense that if I can create a random character he/she always has the same voice and tone. It gets in the way.

Definitely voiced protagonist. I liked all the voice actors that both Witcher games had, so i am sure CDproject will pick good ones for both male and female PC.

While I prefer the voiced protagonist over the silent, the down side to voiced is that the character can become a little too predefined. Shepard was always a hybrid of predefined character and blank slate, but in ME3 they went overboard and turned him/her into a much more predefined character. And The Witcher is really odd because the voice acting is good, when there is a choice, it's really great and the player's action or inaction can truly affect the game. At the same time there are long periods where Geralt prattles on and on w/out my input and that bugs the hell out of me. As for Cyberpunk, I think a voiced protagonist will fit better w/ the game and I hope to be pleasantly surprised w/ the rest.

Voice protagonist is a must - prefer both male and female.
Hell, if I want a silent main charachter I would play JRPG's (sry, but these are not 80's or 90's).

If the protagonist won't have any repetitive one liners like Duke Nukem then voiced would be fine. Would prefer a character like Isaac in Dead Space2 - talked only when someone asked something. But we all know it is a create your own character kind of game so you'll have one voice for male and one for female? I have a strong feeling it would be something similar to what bethesda did with skyrim and fallout - you chose the dialogues, and read them in your mind or out loud, role play right?

With a silent protagonist, dialog can become both more and less involving. This would all come down to the writing, leaving the writers responsable for creating witty, touching, gritty, or whatever kind of dialog for your character..

With a voiced PC, responsabilities for good dialog appear on multiple levels. Writers have to come up with good story, actors have to devlop character voices, sound teams have to edit the recordings, artists have to sync up the sound to the animations, programmers have to time everything and debug any issues. Standard opperation procedure for any game, but you can see multiple spots where issues could happen. Just a thought.

Voice protagonist is a must - prefer both male and female (sry, but these are not 80's or 90's).
Hell, if I want a silent main charachter I would play JRPG's.

I don't know what 80's or 90's or JRPG's have to do with this subject. Like at all. There are still (yes, even western) games being made with silent protagonists.

I think the issue is largely about the available diversity of character identifiability. Once you have a voice, it will always be the same no matter what kind of character you create. The used tone may well sound good for one character, but way off for another -- and eventually it will get tiresome to listen to the same guy or girl.

A voiced protagonist is the way to go. It's always nice to hear your character come alive. I mean, silent protagonist (Gordon Freeman Style) is cool.....but voice actors exist for a reason, and that is to give LIFE to an otherwise boring situation. That's my Honest Op, right there.

Voiced is much better as far as im concerned and look at the dead space once they introduced voice acting in second one the character became much easier to get familiar with

A voiced character is the only option. Just take Skyrim as an example, how no voice acting kills immersion. It feels like you're a wooden doll.

I agree with voices helping with immersion. I also feel like there needs to be multiple voices per gender. However ... thinking about this ... not having a voiced protag might be the best option. In terms of your character anyway. If you have a character who is from a different country, how are they going to handle it? In this case they would have to set a limit of the characters being from America or growing up in Night City. If that is the case then it does become a little bit easier with getting different voices per gender. I would like to hear a character with a bassy smooth or sultry voice, a character that sounds like he has grit in his or her throat, and a character who was high pitched.

I like voiced ones, but considering Cyberpunk requires a lot of role playing, it kinda makes it easier for the team to have a silent one.

I vote silent because a) It saves memory allowing for more content and b) voices wouldnt likely match up with the characters i have in mind.

CDPR will never do silent protags

but for arguments sake if silent protagonists are ever implemented in any game. The should have very little indication, like Dark Souls

It has some real roleplaying you could pretty much play and imagine any back story you want because of the minimalistic approach of YES and NO.

Top Bottom