Skyrim

+
Dona said:
I am not surprised. I decided to quit playing, too, after realising how little choice I have and how nothing I do has any kind of impact whatsoever. I feel like I'm running in one spot, wasting time.

You have no idea how good that makes me feel. Seriously. I actually felt guilty about giving up this early, but then I thought life's too short to waste it doing something that gives nobody any pleasure, including me.

Which leaves me wondering other than the name Bethesda , how after 2-3 weeks does it get game of the year ?

Tommy said:
Which leaves me wondering other than the name Bethesda , how after 2-3 weeks does it get game of the year ?

There was a phrase once in the advertising industry "sex sells". "Hype sells" is the one for our gaming playground.

Tommy said:

The non-cynic would point to a November launch. Early enough to get into the voting, late enough for the hype to have not quite run down.

The cynic would take note of the fact that DA2 got nominated for some of the GotY awards. Any industry where THAT can happen isn't issuing awards based on game quality.

I think they're also taking a huge gamble by making Steam their "platform of choice" for mods, and starting to talk about selling community mods, rather than just giving them away. Bethesda only get away with making games like Oblivion and Skyrim because of the mods, and if the modders turn away from them because of the Steam issue, or if the players turn away because mods become chargeable DLC, I don't see there being a TES VI. We live in interesting times.

dragonbird said:
The non-cynic would point to a November launch. Early enough to get into the voting, late enough for the hype to have not quite run down.

The cynic would take note of the fact that DA2 got nominated for some of the GotY awards. Any industry where THAT can happen isn't issuing awards based on game quality.

I think they're also taking a huge gamble by making Steam their "platform of choice" for mods, and starting to talk about selling community mods, rather than just giving them away. Bethesda only get away with making games like Oblivion and Skyrim because of the mods, and if the modders turn away from them because of the Steam issue, or if the players turn away because mods become chargeable DLC, I don't see there being a TES VI. We live in interesting times.

Hang on there. You don't HAVE to use Steam workshop, they offer it as a platform but said that third-party modsites like the Nexus will work just as fine. They offer it as a easy-to-find, easy-to-use alternative - it'll make mods available to even more people; those who didn't know about modding sites or weren't able/didn't dare to install mods.
That being said, how would they charge for mods if you can still download them from Nexus? Besides, I didn't read anything about Bethesda thinking about charging for mods. Their blog entry even specifically says "free user content".

Tommy said:

I've no doubt its a good game, but being released last means that's whats on people's minds. Everyone's kinda forgotten about TW2 and other games released at the beginning of the year.

@dragonbird. I thought they were trying to sell mods on console, not pc.

Tommy said:
Because everyone declared it their GOTY six+ months ago. It's stupid. Gregski summarised it quite nicely, hype sells.

Exploits are completely killing this game for me. I maxed out the smithing skill by making tons of iron daggers and now I wear a full set of dragonscale armor and feel no sense of reward.

Dona said:
Because everyone declared it their GOTY six+ months ago.

Exactly this. Everyone - gamers, journalists and so on. And now they can't just back up from their publicly declared "it's gonna be GOTY no matter what" opinions.

siklara said:

Exploits are completely killing this game for me. I maxed out the smithing skill by making tons of iron daggers and now I wear a full set of dragonscale armor and feel no sense of reward.

No one's forcing you to do it. It's entirely in your control, you willingly decide to abuse a "weakness" in the game mechanics. Exploits are only a problem in multiplayer games. I learned to do my part to get the most fun out of a game and do not insist on the developer to think of all eventualities (plus, maybe there's people who enjoy getting great gear early on, so having the option isn't entirely bad). Quen in TW2 (at least 1.0) is another great example: I felt that it's far too strong and limits the fun of combat, so I decided to use it rarely as a tactical device instead of using it as godmode and complaining about the existence of a I-Win-Button.

"Weakness" because the real problem there is economy. You're incredibly rich in no time and there's very few options to use your money. That renders both levelling crafting skills and buying skill points incredibly cheap. Besides, they should have added some sort of progression into smithing, so that crafting weak stuff stops levelling your skill at a certain point.

Dona said:
I am not surprised. I decided to quit playing, too, after realising how little choice I have and how nothing I do has any kind of impact whatsoever. I feel like I'm running in one spot, wasting time.

And this is what I was waiting for. I've been stalking this thread for a while now, reading your opinions about it, because I knew that if there was a good, solid story behind Skyrim, with lots of interesting characters, The Witcher fans would be first to appreciate and recommend it. Turns out Skyrim can take a back seat for now.

Songlian said:
And this is what I was waiting for. I've been stalking this thread for a while now, reading your opinions about it, because I knew that if there was a good, solid story behind Skyrim, with lots of interesting characters, The Witcher fans would be first to appreciate and recommend it. Turns out Skyrim can take a back seat for now.
You can trust it on Witcher fans to recognise a good story when they see it!

I never played Skyrim for story, I know their games aren't about that and it is hard to make a good story work in a large, open world. However, they haven't changed a thing for ten years. In fact, they removed Journal as it was in MW (where it was written like a proper journal every time you got a quest update) and now it's just a poorly-assed list of things to do. No indication of the backstory of the quest whatsoever which SUCKS because you're most likely to have many and it's hard to remember who gave you what and their reasons behind it.

I wish they'd focused on game mechanics more. Allow me to do things my way, let ME choose who lives or dies or who I want to side with. You could murder anyone in MW and, if it was an important NPC, the game would let you know - but you could still kill them. It was your choice and your story. I was having fun making up my own story in Skyrim, but I ran into a couple of things that just ruined it for me. I'll play occasionally, but back seat it is.

You all probably seen this by now, but in case you didnt...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z9TdDCWN7g&feature=channel_video_title[/media]

She's Mexican (from Monterrey), and besides having a great voice, she´s apparently a gamer too...

Reading these posts and the one about how PS3 players encounter game braking issues after their save games exceed 5.5 MB (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps3-skyrim-lag) kinda makes me happy I haven't bought this game on those other platforms I own.

JackintheGreen said:
You all probably seen this by now, but in case you didnt...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z9TdDCWN7g&feature=channel_video_title[/media]

She's Mexican (from Monterrey), and besides having a great voice, she´s apparently a gamer too...

:eek: Last page! I posted it even before it went viral! #proud #hipster ;)
Over 800k views is absolutely incredible, just 3 days ago it was like 50k! I bet she's like "WTF is happening here???" herself.
And yes: She's soooo great! I can listen to it for hours upon hours and every single time that cute smile in the end when she's laying her head on her guitar is nearly killing me.

JackintheGreen said:
GAWD this game is full of bugs, Anyway...

In Calcelmo's Laboratory I've found Dwemer Puzzle Cube... Now I know this is actually an item I'm supposed to deliver to Delvin in the Thives Guild, But When I'm picking it up the journal doesn't update the quest, Any workaround?

Sorry, just saw this. There's a console command to skip quest stages so that you can skip the buggy part. Look here under SetStage for further instruction.

Hard copy of the game is now available in my region. hoooooooray...

---

Is it me (with placebo effect) or the game itself, dual wielding bound swords appears to be extremely powerful.

Here is a guy using 360 kinect with skyrim on pc. He uses FAAST and VAC software to mod the game with kinect. Its pretty awesome, here is the vid.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Z83wzJwrBK0[/media]

Top Bottom