So are you forever doomed to never be able to do "Flesh for Sale" if you've begun Following the Thread?

+
The first message I posted in this thread addresses your points.

What you want is a rote list of objectives to check off and get your achievements.

This is not that.
no what I want is to have the option to complete all quests at some point without finding out later doing 1 quest deactivated another quest without any indication there was even another prior quest over there you needed to do before going there and killing everyone...is poor game mechanics plain and simple...if doing "follow the thread" deactivates" "flesh for sale" then make sure players are aware theres a flesh for sale mission over there first and foremost or make them aware that doing "follow the thread" will deactivate a future "flesh for sale". Consumer friendly and needed for the very many "dumb" masses you so snarky like commented on oh Mr. "superior". (that was sarcasm btw)...your idea that a mechanic like this is ok in a game this big and takes many hours to complete is for the trash...

It is great design.

It would be terrible design if this type of thing were the only way to get quests in the game, but its not. Stuff like the random pickup quests, the random mini-quests that dont even show up in the log, the places where the is no marker on the map but there is a bandit camp there anyway, etc are all added on top of what is already an extensive list of main and sub quests that are all handed to you and tracked for you.

Most games do all the handholding and tracking for you, and thats it. There is nothing to "find".

in this game, there are actually things to find. Its good design, of a type that hasnt been seen since the early 32bit console days.

I am talking about if you do one quest from early point in the game and you will miss another quest, because of it. That's a bad quest design. I am not talking about how many ways you can find a quest, that's two different things. "Following the Thread" quest are suggested LV11, I am pretty sure most of people will do this quest before go to Skellige (suggested LV16) on their first playthrough. The only way you can do "Flesh for Sale" quest is by not doing "Following the Thread" in Novigrad, and keep progressing through the story in Skellige. I mean why bother to put a quest that 99.9% of people will completely miss it on their first playthrough.

I am talking about if you do one quest from early point in the game and you will miss another quest, because of it. That's a bad quest design. I am not talking about how many ways you can find a quest, that's two different things. "Following the Thread" quest are suggested LV11, I am pretty sure most of people will do this quest before go to Skellige (suggested LV16) on their first playthrough. The only way you can do "Flesh for Sale" quest is by not doing "Following the Thread" in Novigrad, and keep progressing through the story in Skellige. I mean why bother to put a quest that 99.9% of people will completely miss it on their first playthrough.

pretty much...exactly why its a bad design and needs fixed...not accepted as a great concept and "dumb" masses who dont like should "go play cod" because it would be more to their liking like only a complete idiot would state.

Last edited:
no what I want is to have the option to complete all quests at some point without finding out later doing 1 quest deactivated another quest without any indication there was even another prior quest over there you needed to do before going there and killing everyone...is poor game mechanics plain and simple...if doing "follow the thread" deactivates" "flesh for sale" then make sure players are aware theres a flesh for sale mission over there first and foremost or make them aware that doing "follow the thread" will deactivate a future "flesh for sale". Consumer friendly and needed for the very many "dumb" masses you so snarky like commented on oh Mr. "superior". (that was sarcasm btw)...your idea that a mechanic like this is ok in a game this big and takes many hours to complete is for the trash...

Thats just using way more words to say the same thing.

You dont want the game to do anything that it doesnt explicitly tell you about beforehand. How is that different from "you want a rote list of objectives to check off"

Its the same thing.

You want the game to make you aware of everything possible to do in the game, without you having to find anything or figure anyting out yourself.

I personally went through the game the first time completely blind, missed tons of stuff, and when I did Following the Thread I stayed in Trotthiem for like 40 minutes trying to figure out how to open that house.

I made sure the next playthrough that I went to Skellige and explored that area before Following The Thread because I was sure there was a way to get in that house, and I was right. That sense of investigation and discovery has been totally gone from these trophy and achievement centered games for the last however many years. where everything has to be 100% completable and have an achievement that goes with it on the first run.

I often doubt you "Im a completionist" guys even care about the games themselves, and literally just want another complete set of achievements for your Steam/XBOX profile.

I point out the difference between the ways you get quests because so far, every instance of one quest preventing another is for very small fry inconsequential side quests, nothing of importance at all. If this same type of deign were applied to the main and important side quests, then I would agree that it was bad design overall, no argument there.

But the game tells you about and tracks every main quest, every important side quest (and a lot of unimportant ones) all the gear hunts, contracts, etc. Even the ones that arent given right to you or on a board are tracked in teh log.

THEN there is also this little subset of quests you must find for yourself, and usually have to do things a little out of the ordinary to find. That is good design overall, and has already extended the replay calue of this game for me by a good bit. (I am on a 5th run now, and have yet to play the same game twice)

Thats just using way more words to say the same thing.

You dont want the game to do anything that it doesnt explicitly tell you about beforehand. How is that different from "you want a rote list of objectives to check off"

Its the same thing.

You want the game to make you aware of everything possible to do in the game, without you having to find anything or figure anyting out yourself.

I personally went through the game the first time completely blind, missed tons of stuff, and when I did Following the Thread I stayed in Trotthiem for like 40 minutes trying to figure out how to open that house.

I made sure the next playthrough that I went to Skellige and explored that area before Following The Thread because I was sure there was a way to get in that house, and I was right. That sense of investigation and discovery has been totally gone from these trophy and achievement centered games for the last however many years. where everything has to be 100% completable and have an achievement that goes with it on the first run.

I often doubt you "Im a completionist" guys even care about the games themselves, and literally just want another complete set of achievements for your Steam/XBOX profile.

I point out the difference between the ways you get quests because so far, every instance of one quest preventing another is for very small fry inconsequential side quests, nothing of importance at all. If this same type of deign were applied to the main and important side quests, then I would agree that it was bad design overall, no argument there.

But the game tells you about and tracks every main quest, every important side quest (and a lot of unimportant ones) all the gear hunts, contracts, etc. Even the ones that arent given right to you or on a board are tracked in teh log.

THEN there is also this little subset of quests you must find for yourself, and usually have to do things a little out of the ordinary to find. That is good design overall, and has already extended the replay calue of this game for me by a good bit. (I am on a 5th run now, and have yet to play the same game twice)

well you're actually in the minority of gamers to have the time for 5 runs and multiple play throughs in a game this big...which is why again I say its a bad design and you're thinking whats good and fit for your play style is fit for the masses...which again I say its not...try getting a family...a job...a son..helping with homework...having set gaming hours each day...seeing multiple games launch each month you want to check out and "complete" off your list being a "completionist" gamer...its a bad design bro...you're just being hard headed and trying to argue that your play style which is probably less then 10-20% of gamers who have that much time to devote to a game this big is best and others should follow suit and just play through multiple time trying to avoid all these bugs/bad game designs the second/third playthrough...which I again say is for the trash. Whats good for a few, isnt whats good for the many...its a terrible design and the fact you cant see it...well theres really no more point in arguing with you...now go play through for your 6th time kid...dont forget to check with mommy about what she's making for dinner.

Not really. I think I *had* Following the Thread in my questlog but I was still in the first (Novigrad) segment, and hadn't followed up on the lead/notice.

I went to Faroe and took/completed Flesh for Sale, then returned to Novigrad and completed the Novigrad (1), Skellige and Novigrad (2) segments of Following the Thread.

I was vaguely speculating that if you avoided going anywhere near Trottheim during Following the Thread
(i.e. Landing elsewhere and heading directly to the Eastern Shrine on the hill "as if by some premonition")
and returning to Novigrad to clear "Following the Thread", whether "Flesh for Sale" would still trigger in Trottheim later? Not tried it, but I do know that they cannot both be active in Skellige at the same time. (Perhaps only "returning to Novigrad" would be sufficient to reset the Skellige spawn, so long as the slave trade hadn't been broken in Trottheim by killing/alerting everyone there, without having to finish up?).

Make a save, and experiment... I'm too far along to do so this playthrough now.

I just finished Following the Thread, and after watching a Youtube of Flesh for Sale, I kinda think the way they set it up is intentional. I also didn't really have an issue with missing it because it only awarded the Youtube player 5 XP (and I'm significantly higher than him), and I very much doubt the result of this quest holds any sway over the rest of the story.

What's more, I'd really like to see somebody try your suggestion of circumventing the location altogether, finishing Lambert's quest, and coming back to see if Flesh still triggers. My guess is it wouldn't, for the reason you stated. It wouldn't make sense.

So, yea, good quest design IMO.

Choices & Consequences.

Top Bottom