So much negativity around Homecoming on gog.com

+
What about them? I too think that Homecoming needs improvements and I am waiting for them patiently. I am not praising or bashing Homecoming. I said many times that I don't like speed of the animations and that they should be faster (burza responded few days ago that they are working on new and improved mechanics and more QoL changeS). Same with the number of available mechanics in game. I know that we will get armor mechanic one day (because it is in Thronebreaker), I hope we will get more mechanics with the expansion. I am waiting for future patches, I can't wait for patch with leaders, for season trees, for observer mode, for twitch extension, for expansion in March and other stuff that I forgot.

For people who have been here for years and waited the many months for homecoming "waiting patiently" just isn't as appealing. At some point you have to be a little bit vocal. I am actually much more upset with the issues on console than I am expressing on the forums right now because I know letting that out won't help. But I wasn't afraid to specifically say what my issues are in my own thread. Homecoming doesn't just need improvements. It needs A LOT of work to make it appealing to bring players back. Homecoming was supposed to do that and IMO it's not. The game feels worse than ever to us and that's why so many people on the forums are upset. I still play the game and try my best to enjoy it but it's difficult.

It is not a personal attack. It is an advice for you to stop wasting your time on something you don't enjoy. Maybe look from the different perspective. [Nope]

I think most of these people still want to enjoy the game and hope for big changes that will make it so. The ones who have sworn off the game completely would probably be doing themselves a favor putting their attention somewhere else but I don't know how many actually fall into that boat. If they are following the forum rules then they have to be left alone.

Living in the safe bubble must be interesting. People are so fragile these days. You can't have a conversation without someone being offended, there are too much emotions and not enough logic and legit arguments.

You appear to be offended at the people who don't like the game currently. Most of these players that I have seen have plenty of legitimate and logical arguments. I have made list after list and thread after thread of what I think are issues with the game.

It is funny that you didn't respond to patch certification process part because it is easier to blame CDPR. Maybe it is more difficult to fix stuff on consoles than on PC. In my opinion it is a mistake of CDPR that they pushed games on consoles. You won't see any time soon MTGA, HS and Artifact on consoles for some reasons (my guess is that consoles slow down development and consoles are for exclusives and not for a card games so a lot of work for not that much profit).

It doesn't have to bring old players back. It can just keep evolving and bring new players in. I have been waiting same amount of time as people who dislike Homecoming right now and I am still patient. Does it count as super power? You don't have impact on how fast devs will work on patches for Gwent so it is bad luck that waiting isn't appealing but you have to wait for patches anyway if you want better game. Of course you can always quit and don't play if you can't wait.

I am not offended, I can stand simple conversation that is logical and not emotional. I have never used ignore button on this forum.
I am just annoyed because it has been almost 3 months and those players who don't like Homecoming are still preaching "Gwent is dead" or "give back vintage Gwent" etc. Just move on at this point or wait for future patches.

I would like to see those logical (not emotional) arguments why Homecoming is bad in comparison to vintage Gwent.

It is funny that you didn't respond to patch certification process part because it is easier to blame CDPR. Maybe it is more difficult to fix stuff on consoles than on PC. In my opinion it is a mistake of CDPR that they pushed games on consoles. You won't see any time soon MTGA, HS and Artifact on consoles for some reasons (my guess is that consoles slow down development and consoles are for exclusives and not for a card games so a lot of work for not that much profit).

It doesn't have to bring old players back. It can just keep evolving and bring new players in. I have been waiting same amount of time as people who dislike Homecoming right now and I am still patient. Does it count as super power? You don't have impact on how fast devs will work on patches for Gwent so it is bad luck that waiting isn't appealing but you have to wait for patches anyway if you want better game. Of course you can always quit and don't play if you can't wait.

I am not offended, I can stand simple conversation that is logical and not emotional. I have never used ignore button on this forum.
I am just annoyed because it has been almost 3 months and those players who don't like Homecoming are still preaching "Gwent is dead" or "give back vintage Gwent" etc. Just move on at this point or wait for future patches.

I would like to see those logical (not emotional) arguments why Homecoming is bad in comparison to vintage Gwent.
I wont be playing anymore until they rework artifacts and improve weather.
You want logical arguments then here:
There is no point in playing weather now, its low tempo and dont get more value over cost, i rather play a damned spear that can get more value over cost and also HAS TARGET so can destroy engines.
Against weather you can use another row or rowstack. Against a damned spear i cant do anything!
In old gwent i had 2clear sky to counter weather and if no weather i could get some value by thinning, now with 2artefact removal units if no artifacts i get rekt.

There is no point in playing weather now, its low tempo and dont get more value over cost, i rather play a damned spear that can get more value over cost and also HAS TARGET so can destroy engines.

Weather is rather lackluster right now, except for Ragnarok. Still, there are exceptions.

The Strength of Torrential Rain
The original deck had 4 artifacts: 2 Spears and 2 Thunderbolts. With the provision nerf, this didn't fit any longer in the deck. So, I went looking for alternatives and found Torrential Rain which is a better Spear and Thunderbolt combined. Rain has two 1 damage ticks (instead of 1 for a Spear or other bronze weather effects). More importantly, it can pre-buff the Craiteswords by playing Rain first and then a Craitesword, which immediately gets boosted by 2, putting it out of range of most sniping tools. This boost also makes Thunderbolt obsolete. Finally, even without a Craitesword, a 8 provision card for 8 potential damage isn't bad, also because no one is running weather counters.

What you've basically said is: Regarding the score, the spread (1-5) is not important only the average thereof.
First off all, [...].

Well, the last part is true, but contradict your first one. I think people core for two reasons:
1. They want to support teh game (or want to fail it). Both are the same motivatiosn at the opposite side of the scale.
2. Self-congratulation to bosst their ego. Again this count for both ends.

In all cases i dont see any differences in giving a 5/5 or a 1/5. No game is perfect, no game is absolut bullshit (ok, most games arent).

To give scores, for me it is a kind of responsiblity. I dont like this game, so other should avoid the same mistake i did. This is why each score should have a comment explaining why you use this score. BUT a 5/5 or a 1/5 arent just reviews, this scores are clear statements of two different camps, and people should know this too. If a game deiveds players, it is good to know, before buying it, because you can extrapolate the future development by it.

I wont be playing anymore until they rework artifacts and improve weather.
You want logical arguments then here:
Against weather you can use another row or rowstack. Against a damned spear i cant do anything!
In old gwent i had 2clear sky to counter weather and if no weather i could get some value by thinning, now with 2artefact removal units if no artifacts i get rekt.

So your argument is that Homecoming is bad because weather is a weak deck? I disagree. I didn't like weather decks and I am happy that they are weak.

If I remember correctly then weather "archetype" was disliked by players because it was another binary design (I mean gold weather cards) - you have counter and there is no value for opponent or you don't have counter and opponent has a lot of value because of the 3 rows covered with weather. Even if you had counter then opponent had 2nd gold weather. Weather was weaker when Black Blood and RNG stone were able to easily roll weather clears. It was stronger after nerf to RNG cards(~May 2018).
In old Gwent players rarely were using clear sky. As I mentioned before people were using silvers cards to counter it (mages, RNG stones and black blood in alchemy decks) because they had other abilities and weren't dead in other matchups.

It is similar now with artifacts. Another binary design and of course I don't like it but after nerfs it is not that bad as it was after release.

Last edited:
It is funny that you didn't respond to patch certification process part because it is easier to blame CDPR.

It's not a good excuse for how they have treated the game on consoles. I can ignore things taking a little longer but the game being unplayable for long periods of time and them saying nothing about premium cards not working. That goes beyond consoles just taking a little longer to work on. I also don't like the excuse because it's something they chose to take on. No one made them choose to develop on consoles. That's their responsibility.

Appealing to the original fans is important IMO. The game has dropped in numbers drastically and I'm not sure if only looking for new players is the best idea. I wouldn't know how much of an impact we have on the devs but why wouldn't I want to be vocal about it? Are you encouraging me to quit? No one is making you read these posts dude. If you like the game then I'm happy for you. Why not just enjoy it and not pay any attention to the forums?

Are you clamiing that you haven't seen them? They aren't hard to find on the forum as it moves slow so you can find these threads in the first few pages. I have made a few myself. The injection of more RNG, less archetypes, bad design of cards new and old, buggy very bad release on consoles, bad design of rankings on leaderboards, unfair changes to the economy, etc etc. Personally I don't think homecoming is simply "bad". I think it was steps backward instead of forward. I don't really know why I waited all those months for a game that I don't think is better than what we had before.

So your argument is that Homecoming is bad because weather is a weak deck? I disagree. I didn't like weather decks and I am happy that they are weak.

If I remember correctly then weather "archetype" was disliked by players because it was another binary design (I mean gold weather cards).

that was just one argument , i only want weather viable not op i played eredin not axemen , anyway i'm out.
Weather is rather lackluster right now, except for Ragnarok. Still, there are exceptions.

The Strength of Torrential Rain
The original deck had 4 artifacts: 2 Spears and 2 Thunderbolts. With the provision nerf, this didn't fit any longer in the deck. So, I went looking for alternatives and found Torrential Rain which is a better Spear and Thunderbolt combined. Rain has two 1 damage ticks (instead of 1 for a Spear or other bronze weather effects). More importantly, it can pre-buff the Craiteswords by playing Rain first and then a Craitesword, which immediately gets boosted by 2, putting it out of range of most sniping tools. This boost also makes Thunderbolt obsolete. Finally, even without a Craitesword, a 8 provision card for 8 potential damage isn't bad, also because no one is running weather counters.
i tryed rain but again its 8points/8p and its low tempo, there are plenty golds at 8p so why use weather

Last edited:
that was just one argument, i only want weather viable not op i played eredin not axemen , anyway i'm out.

I don't know how they are going to do this. If weather becomes good again then am I supposed to attempt to try to tech against weather AND artifacts in all of my decks? That sounds terrible.

It's not a good excuse for how they have treated the game on consoles. I can ignore things taking a little longer but the game being unplayable for long periods of time and them saying nothing about premium cards not working. That goes beyond consoles just taking a little longer to work on. I also don't like the excuse because it's something they chose to take on. No one made them choose to develop on consoles. That's their responsibility.

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/gwent-ask-a-dev.8684150/page-127#post-11337460
Looks like there is an answer for your question about premium cards.

Sure but you have to have in mind that there are some things that slow down CDPR like Sony and Microsoft certification process and that they are working to do stuff for PC, XBOX and PS4. Probably PC players would get a lot faster and frequent patches if not consoles.

Appealing to the original fans is important IMO. The game has dropped in numbers drastically and I'm not sure if only looking for new players is the best idea. I wouldn't know how much of an impact we have on the devs but why wouldn't I want to be vocal about it? Are you encouraging me to quit? No one is making you read these posts dude. If you like the game then I'm happy for you. Why not just enjoy it and not pay any attention to the forums?

You don't know if it dropped drastically. I can say that the number of players dropped. How many? I have no clue because I have no data on this. If you can provide data of this "drastical drop" then it would be great.
Original fans who hate Homecoming have full collections. New fans will bring more money and won't have this "this is not my Gwent" mindset. I prefer new players over original fans right now.
I am just saying fact that you being vocal (and other players who don't enjoy HC) won't change the pace of CDPR's devs work.

Yes, I encourage everyone who can't stand Homecoming to wait for future patches or just move on - logical decision.
Why do I pay attention to the forums? Because I wanted to provide some diversity to the "gwent is dead" preachers and to give some arguments why players like Homecoming so it is not that one sided.

The injection of more RNG, less archetypes, bad design of cards new and old, buggy very bad release on consoles, bad design of rankings on leaderboards, unfair changes to the economy, etc etc. Personally I don't think homecoming is simply "bad". I think it was steps backward instead of forward. I don't really know why I waited all those months for a game that I don't think is better than what we had before.

- RNG is less so this argument doesn't make sense
- Before HC https://teamaretuza.com/homepage/article/meta-snapshot-1-TSNa
After HC https://teamaretuza.com/meta-snapshot/
I would say that we have similar amount of decks or even more right now. Archetypes aren't that great because it is limiting CDPR to create some cards for specific archetypes instead just printing cards and being creative
- I can't deny that release was buggy for PC and it was buggy for consoles, right now it is almost fixed on PC and will be fixed soon on consoles - but in the end buggy release is a bad thing so I agree here with you.
- I like regular ladder. I think that it should be matching +/-2 ranks so rank 14 should be matches with 12,13,14,15,16 ranks
I don't like that we can't switch between pro rank and regular ladder. I don't like that the only incentive to climb up are reward points. Before HC it was avatar, better borders, kegs and powder. Those are my only problems with new rankeds.
Pro rank has some problems because it needs even more matches than proladder (before HC)
You forgot about avatars with taunts. Imo it was a big thing and people liked it a lot so I would be happy to see avatars with taunts in match again instead taunts on leaders. Because it is just more fun to see new taunts with every new month instead same taunts over and over.

Even if you are right in some points then all of those arguments wouldn't make me quit game or say that "Gwent is dead". I agree that CDPR has a lot of work to do but as I said before - I don't have impact on the pace of CDPR's devs work so I don't see a point of being mad, sad or whatever. Why would you waste your energy on something that you don't have impact?

I was a bit disappointed at the PC release because of the lack of the mechanics, 3d leaders and slow animations but right now I am positive because CDPR did good changes in last few months and they are working on new and improved animations and more QoL changes. I hope that expansion will bring more mechanics.

Last edited:
jesus crist, its so easy, make weather 7p and spears 8p, but why do i even bother...

I don't really see how that solves the issue.
Post automatically merged:

I know they are working on it. My issue is that they made absolutely no statement about this problem and gave no explanation for it. Players were like "Uh, why are the premiums not working" asked the devs about it repeatedly and then just got the answer of "There is no ETA on fixing this issue". Considering they haven't worked for more than a month now I find that to be very unacceptable communication. I still have no idea when this will be fixed. A month from now? 4 months from now?

You don't know if it dropped drastically. I can say that the number of players dropped. How many? I have no clue because I have no data on this. If you can provide data of this "drastical drop" then it would be great.

The leaderboards themselves are evidence to me that numbers are way down. How is it that after only 40 wins I am in the top 4000 players globally? That didn't used to happen at all. I would have to push hard to make it into the top 10k. I haven't seen any evidence that numbers are the same or higher. Wait times on games are also longer than ever before.

Original fans who hate Homecoming have full collections. New fans will bring more money and won't have this "this is not my Gwent" mindset. I prefer new players over original fans right now.
I am just saying fact that you being vocal (and other players who don't enjoy HC) won't change the pace of CDPR's devs work.

You could be right on that sure. But player feedback could also direct them to what's most important to focus on. They do claim to take player feedback seriously.

Yes, I encourage everyone who can't stand Homecoming to wait for future patches or just move on - logical decision.
Why do I pay attention to the forums? Because I wanted to provide some diversity to the "gwent is dead" preachers.

Waiting for future patches is a given. Encouraging people to leave isn't the best idea when the game already isn't doing well. Players might not have much influence on what the devs do but by the same token you have no control on how people interact with the game or post on the forums. My point wasn't about posting on the forums. It's about having such an issue with the people who dislike homecoming.

- RNG is less so this argument doesn't make sense

Not sure how you think it's less especially when an entire archetype objectively has more. Even if you broke down every single card before and after and it was the same number wise I am still unhappy that they didn't reduce the RNG and built the new reveal around RNG. Create cards are still in the game and they added even dumber RNG cards like Gascon.

- Before HC https://teamaretuza.com/homepage/article/meta-snapshot-1-TSNa
After HC https://teamaretuza.com/meta-snapshot/
I would say that we have similar amount of decks or even more right now. Archetypes aren't that great because it is limiting CDPR to create some cards for specific archetypes instead just printing cards and being creative

There were objectively more archetypes before homecoming and deckbuilding is significantly different due to the design of the game. Now the focus is on a combination of powerful gold cards with junk bronze cards thrown in. So far I have found this design to be less interesting.

Even if you are right in some points then all of those arguments wouldn't make me quit game or say that "Gwent is dead". I agree that CDPR has a lot of work but as I said before - I don't have impact on the pace of CDPR's devs work so I don't see a point of being mad, sad or whatever. Why would you waste your energy on something that you don't have impact?

I don't agree about having no impact and even if I did if I stuck with a game for years and potentially spent money on it I would have reason to spend time on the forums talking about it. I am not in the camp of Gwent is dead or I wouldn't be here. My perspective is just that the game is struggling hard.

Cheers.

Last edited:
In all cases i dont see any differences in giving a 5/5 or a 1/5. No game is perfect, no game is absolut bullshit (ok, most games arent).

It's the same principle. Regardless, ratings means different things to different people. With the skewed rating distribution, there are plenty who think that if a game doesn't score a 90+ on Metacritic is must be mediocre and anything below 75 is garbage. However, at the bottom of the ratings, more people tend to agree with the meaning thereof. A 10 (1 star) on Metacritic means garbage. The thing is, most people give this rating without regards to the gravity of the rating system. It's not a universal thing, even though it's being used as such and even to compare different (type of) games with each other. As such, it's usually better to just give a thumbs up or down, like on Steam and Netflix (though I still miss a neutral option). The system needs to be as simple as possible. Three options, no more, no less.

This is why each score should have a comment explaining why you use this score.

Bingo. Actually reading the reviews is the only way to get a good idea of the game. The ratings are just a first impression.

Top Bottom