some general questions

+
some general questions

I've started to play the game a couple of weeks ago and am currently in chapter 2, trying to find the last three crystals while killing off some monsters (echinops, drowners, seal-like things and su. The negativech); Geralt is on level 14. Even though I've played for a while now, I still have some questions:- When do I get silver talents? Whenever I can level up, there are still only bronze talents that I'll use up as long as I can. But Igni, for example, is already levelled up to the maximum; to make it even more powerful, I'd need silver talents. - What's better: isometric view (which I currently use) or a closer look at things, using wsad and mouse? When I started playing the game I decided to use isometric view because it gives me a feeling of being more in control - whenever Geralt gets attacked, I can see with one quick glance how many enemies he's up against. However, what I don't get to see is his swordplay - to me, strong and quick style basically look the same and the only difference I can see between the two is that when Geralt uses slow style on the drowners, he misses more often.- I love the game's atmosphere and flair; it's very true to Sapkowski's books and when I first entered Wyzima, I was pretty excited. However, since chapter 2 is a pretty long chapter, I'm beginning to get a little bored with visiting the same places over and over again. The swamp is especially awful, not only because of the monsters but because it's such a dreadful place. I've read in a guide that some quests from chapter 2 can also be finished in chapter 3, so my question is: Will there be new areas in chapters 3, 4, and 5? New cities, for example?- Are there dead-ends? I've tried to find some vodka for the cryptkeeper which, after a while, worked out fine; now he wants me to show him a pass before he lets me have the keys to the graveyard. The problem is: The only two people in the game who could help Geralt out on this one hate him and won't even talk to him. Does this mean I have to abandon the graveyard quest? Not that I'm very keen on fighting ghouls and graveirs again... :)

- first silver talent at level 15. actually second, if you already have one from a potion.- this game plays better in over-the-shoulder mode. though some would disagree.- there are new zones in every chapter. gonna avoid posting spoiler.- hmm .. i've never encountered a dead end, but i heard there is one. do other stuff first, and they may be willing to talk to geralt again.

Thanks for the quick reply, so I'm only one level away from silver talents - great :D I think I'll also try switching between the two views and see which one works better for me; since my computer is pretty weak - I had to set graphics options to the lowest possible levels - I'm not sure if it can handle over-the-shoulder-view but it's worth a try. And if there's a sequel, I'll need a better computer anyway *g*

the gravedigger likes more than just vodka ... he likes "dwarven" alcohol ... tried Mahakam mead yet ?

Jehane said:
- What's better: isometric view (which I currently use) or a closer look at things, using wsad and mouse?
I vote over the shoulder, wsad.Helps you get 'into it' more rather then being a spectator.

Which camera view is best is really a matter of taste. The great thing about The Witcher is that you can switch among them while the game is running, using the F1, F2, and F3 keys. So if you want isometric for seeing approaching monsters and over-the-shoulder for close-ups during combat, you can have that.There are new areas in each chapter, but there's the least change in the shift from Chapter 2 to Chapter 3. So, you'll see those lousy swamps again in Chapter 3, and the Temple Quarter, as well, in addition to the new Chapter 3 area. But don't despair -- a very new, very different area is coming in Chapter 4, and Chapter 5 has lots of new areas, too.Getting into the graveyard is fun but not necessary, and depending on which choices you make, sometimes it isn't possible. If you CAN get in, though, you can make an astonishing discovery.

Thanks guys :) I have given the gravedigger his alcohol but need a pass from, I think, Vincent or another person whose name I cannot remember - I'll try getting that pass next time I play just for the sake of it. And now that I found out that graveirs don't like a certain kind of oil I think it'd be fun going into that graveyard and slay them :evil: If I can't get in, well, that's just one more reason for a replay; I missed some of the minor quests in chapter 1 (never made it to my date with the girl I accompanied to her granny, didn't fulfill all the contracts etc.) so that's another reason why I'll definitely play this game again. Also, I want to see what the consequences are when I make Geralt, for example, condemn Abigail in chapter 1 or if he can handle that monster (forgot what it was called) in the prologue :)As for the camera view: I'll try switching between the available angles and see which suits me best; so far, isometric view has been fine because it allows me to overlook the scenery. But I'll try over-the-shoulder in Geralt's next combat just to see if it works for me - I'm familiar with wasd-controls so that shouldn't be much of a problem, I think :) This is a thing I really like about this game: It gives you so much freedom. I mean, how many games are out there that allow you to pause in the middle of combat in order to switch to another weapon, apply oil to your blade, drink a potion etc.?As for new areas: Oh dear. I almost thought that chapter 3 is more or less the same as chapter 2, area-wise - the player's guide included in the Enhanced Edition doesn't list many new areas for chapter 3, as far as I have seen from browsing the guide. Oh well. So it's the swamps again, then... *sighs* Not my favourite place in the game but at least they should be clear of drowners and such when I reach chapter 3 - or do those things respawn?

Jehane said:
I mean, how many games are out there that allow you to pause in the middle of combat in order to switch to another weapon, apply oil to your blade, drink a potion etc.?
There's a few popular ones, Baldur's Gate, Knights of the Old Republic. You kind of really need it with those so you can stack up commands for your party.

Jehane said:
As for new areas: Oh dear. I almost thought that chapter 3 is more or less the same as chapter 2, area-wise - the player's guide included in the Enhanced Edition doesn't list many new areas for chapter 3, as far as I have seen from browsing the guide. Oh well. So it's the swamps again, then... *sighs* Not my favourite place in the game
Geralt agrees with you. When he's asked to visit the Temple Quarter and the Swamps in Chapter 3, he says something like, "Slums and swamps again. Lovely." :DAlso, I recommend not looking at the player's guide the first time you play, unless you're really stuck (the manual, yes, the walkthrough, no), because it spoils a lot.

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
As for new areas: Oh dear. I almost thought that chapter 3 is more or less the same as chapter 2, area-wise - the player's guide included in the Enhanced Edition doesn't list many new areas for chapter 3, as far as I have seen from browsing the guide. Oh well. So it's the swamps again, then... *sighs* Not my favourite place in the game
Geralt agrees with you. When he's asked to visit the Temple Quarter and the Swamps in Chapter 3, he says something like, "Slums and swamps again. Lovely." :DAlso, I recommend not looking at the player's guide the first time you play, unless you're really stuck (the manual, yes, the walkthrough, no), because it spoils a lot.
*lol* That's what I love about Geralt - he always has something funny to say. I laughed out loud when he told Shani that he has other hobbies besides killing things :D I don't know about the English or Polish version, but in the German version, Geralt has a very sombre, stoic voice which makes remarks such as these even funnier *g*I use the player's guide mostly when I'm stuck - didn't happen very often so far :) And it's not always helpful. For example, I've been trying to locate Zoltan to complete the sword quest and whenever I activate "follow quest on map", the game points me to the Hairy Bear. Fine. But Zoltan is never there, no matter if I go there by night or by day. The guide wasn't very helpful with this problem - all it said was "Go talk to Zoltan". Ok, thank you guide, I figured out that much *g* Maybe I should look somewhere else for the guy :) Another question just popped up in my head: What about the caves in the swamps? I went there and killed some wolves and an apparition (nasty thing) but couldn't find the stone I was looking for. Ok, maybe I should mention that my game decided that it needed a little break - it didn't give me a map (needless to say I had a hard time finding my way around there without the map), and when I went outside and activated the map of the swamp, all I could see were the coloured dots indicating peopel or locations. And when I reached the ferryman, the game decided to crash. I haven't been back to the caves yet; I'll do that next time I play. If I remember correctly, one of the stones I need to activate the tower should be in there, right?

If he's not at the Hairy Bear or Vivaldi's then he's probably walking between the two or disappeared into one of those doors you can't go in for a break.

So I just have to wander about and see if I can find him, right? Is there a dead-end, I mean is there something that might keep me from concluding the quest?

definitely, he's around somewhere ... i did have some problems finding him on occasion, but i always eventually did, so don't give up :peace:

Jehane said:
So I just have to wander about and see if I can find him, right? Is there a dead-end, I mean is there something that might keep me from concluding the quest?
There shouldn't be, try meditating till noon at Vivaldi's, seems he likes having lunch there.

Hey guys,I bought TWEE which came in an International Packaging (according to the wiki), and all the text on the box, DVD cases and books inside is in English. However, when i tried to install the game, at the beginning when i had to choose the language, i only got 3 (three) options: Czech, Polish and Hungarian. No English. Any ideeas on how to fix this? The game is useless to me like this.I live in Romania and i bought the game from a local retailer, www.gameshop.ro

I was able to switch between language packs using the game options, with no dabbling in D'jinni required...

Guest 2005166

gorthuar said:
I was able to switch between language packs using the game options, with no dabbling in D'jinni required...
Thanks! Yes, there is this option... :wall: Where are my thoughts sometimes... *hey, come back!!!* Sigh... gone again.Anyway, both works.

Top Bottom