[SPOILER] Adam Smasher. Character we have lost.

+

Who is mr. Smasher?

• Big Bad Boss, mindless killing machine

Votes: 66 74.2%
  • Complex Character, Man who has a story to tell

Votes: 23 25.8%

• Total voters
I agree he would have been more interesting as a high grade professional - its just that he never was in the source material

We're talking about a character who, while freelancing, would only take a job if they allowed civilian casualties

Mike Pondsmith has gone on to describe him as a high-functioning cyberpsycho

Dude just loves killing. Killing is his favorite
Now that you put it like that, I like his style. The perfect counterpart for a sparring session.

Last edited:
I agree he would have been more interesting as a high grade professional - its just that he never was in the source material

We're talking about a character who, while freelancing, would only take a job if they allowed civilian casualties

Mike Pondsmith has gone on to describe him as a high-functioning cyberpsycho

Dude just loves killing. Killing is his favorite
And you dont? You're driving streets carefully, keep your gun cold and are completely dedicated not to harm an innocent? For god's sake what else to do in this stillborn game if not butchering anything that moves?! I dont mind if some cloned dummies die by some firearms occasion or driving issue. Actually it brings some fun when maxtac dummies spawn. So Adam is completely sane here. He doesnt mind either.

And you dont? You're driving streets carefully, keep your gun cold and are completely dedicated not to harm an innocent? For god's sake what else to do in this stillborn game if not butchering anything that moves?! I dont mind if some cloned dummies die by some firearms occasion or driving issue. Actually it brings some fun when maxtac dummies spawn. So Adam is completely sane here. He doesnt mind either.

Yes, I do try to avoid civilian casualties in game.

But it wouldn't matter if I didn't because the player doesn't adhere to the same rules as the in-universe characters

Canonically V is not driving backwards in traffic and murdering every civilian in sight

Just as they aren't performing quicksaves before encounters or googling what dialogue choice is the best

Its gameplay/story segregation. You can't compare it morally to the behavior of characters in-universe

Yes, I do try to avoid civilian casualties in game.

But it wouldn't matter if I didn't because the player doesn't adhere to the same rules as the in-universe characters

Canonically V is not driving backwards in traffic and murdering every civilian in sight

Just as they aren't performing quicksaves before encounters or googling what dialogue choice is the best

Its gameplay/story segregation. You can't compare it morally to the behavior of characters in-universe
But i'm not V. I dont want to be V. I dont want to serve to a dead loser. Do not want to be a local hero. Reds just dont gave us any other option. And thats the problem. Cyberpunk is not about conformism. Its about your own way in the free land of cybermedieval. And medieval was such a great time.

To me Adam Smasher is a narcissistic cyborg who rents out his heavy armor for whoever pays up.
He does not care about who he needs to nail (either dead or capture) he does not care about what he destroys nor which lives get extinguished. Hell, he doesn't even care about life in general. Which isn't too far away from his visuals, barely anything human left.
Adam Smasher is basically a tank for hire and he loves it. But at the same time has the experience to bide his time for when to start smashing.

Its the sort of villain who would/should die during a heavy battle, for obvious reasons. And there's more than enough reasons to kill him.

And you dont? You're driving streets carefully, keep your gun cold and are completely dedicated not to harm an innocent?
1667306802150.png

If you like to play like an Adam Smasher, then why do you believe you should be viewed as a 'complex' character.
I've read your opening post where you seem to want to make Adam Smasher sound like a complex villain with deep lore and such. Fine, we never see that so first off why should I believe that? Because in some fanfic it could be?
Insufficient.
But even if I were to believe such thing. You then go on saying you like to play as a mindless killing machine because otherwise the game aint fun... Kind of counter intuitive isn't it?
So... I rpeat the question: why view Adam Smasher (or a player akin to it) as a complex troubled person and not as what we see and hear him do: a killing machine, simple as that.

If you like to play like an Adam Smasher, then why do you believe you should be viewed as a 'complex' character.
I've read your opening post where you seem to want to make Adam Smasher sound like a complex villain with deep lore and such. Fine, we never see that so first off why should I believe that? Because in some fanfic it could be?
Insufficient.
But even if I were to believe such thing. You then go on saying you like to play as a mindless killing machine because otherwise the game aint fun... Kind of counter intuitive isn't it?
So... I rpeat the question: why view Adam Smasher (or a player akin to it) as a complex troubled person and not as what we see and hear him do: a killing machine, simple as that.
Because in human history greatest heroes always stand neck deep in blood. And they define by themselves who's innocent and who's not. You're using an artificial moral code you was trained to follow. But what's the difference between great man and an average one? The greats of this world lived beyond any bounds. They were the ones who wrote moral code you're following and they wrote it for you.
Adam Smasher stands above the crowd. He's a posthuman being. And to see his complexity and his potential as a character you need to leave human logic and standards of your time behind. Thats the way to evolve. We all here are successors to survivors who get through their dark times doing things unbelievable to a modern man. Your ancestors had completely different way of thinking. Completely different look upon life and death. And now you're trying to judge someone who stands far beyond your time.
Yes. Adam is murderer. But who wasnt? You, sitting on the chair in the warm house protected by police and laws (lets pretend its truth), and him living in the world where nuclear devices, biological and chemical weapon, mass shootouts are more common than a daily tv shows this days. And you're judging him for being a knight in the dark age of cybermedieval? Dont make me laugh, please.
It's a trap you all step in. You see an exterior, but dont understand whats behind. Forget the fairytales! Its Cyberpunk, baby!

PS And yep, he's damn complex one, cause legends are. And he definitely knows about this life much more than an average punk in his city.

Because in human history greatest heroes always stand neck deep in blood. And they define by themselves who's innocent and who's not.
You leave out one important detail: reasons. In the old world where people still used swords and stuff, those great people would stand amidst blood for large 1 of 2 reasons: They conquered or they fought for their freedom. The intend here is key.
Adam Smasher, with the history of what we've gotten is no complex man, just a man (as small part as is left) who knows how to stay on top. Noteworthy here is that complex and smart aren't the same thing. I'm sure Adam Smasher is smart enough, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten where he came to be, but that does not make him complex.

You're using an artificial moral code you was trained to follow. But what's the difference between great man and an average one? The greats of this world lived beyond any bounds. They were the ones who wrote moral code you're following and they wrote it for you.
And what moral code did Albert Einstein go beyond to become a great man? Just to illustrate a great man (or woman) doesn't only come from a moral devision. And specifically in todays world, moral code, or the crossing of it, is so well engrained and established as a humane basis in our western world that by your standards great people would no longer exist. but we still have pioneers in fields that have little to do with moral code or conduct yet they are viewed as historically important people.
Adam Smasher stands above the crowd. He's a posthuman being. And to see his complexity and his potential as a character you need to leave human logic and standards of your time behind. Thats the way to evolve. We all here are successors to survivors who get through their dark times doing things unbelievable to a modern man. Your ancestors had completely different way of thinking. Completely different look upon life and death. And now you're trying to judge someone who stands far beyond your time.
Yes. Adam is murderer. But who wasnt? You, sitting on the chair in the warm house protected by police and laws (lets pretend its truth), and him living in the world where nuclear devices, biological and chemical weapon, mass shootouts are more common than a daily tv shows this days. And you're judging him for being a knight in the dark age of cybermedieval? Dont make me laugh, please.
No I judging him for what he's portrayed like and accessible to us in the game. If anything I would not judge him as a knight, because he isn't one, he's a mercenary. That basic concept does not require complexity to understand.
You seem to want to view the character as something of a refined a complex... man/cyborg... whatever. I'm not stopping you.
I said: I don't see him as such, in part due to what was presented to us. He's portrayed as a cold blooded mercenary who'd kill for pleasure, his visuals are also destinct in that he's replaced nearly every part o his body for cybernetic parts. All of that presumably to get an edge over his competition, and presumably in the straightup brutality of it.
Again, nothing complex going on here, and it does have to be. However, My question to you was: IF you play as what I deem to be a coldblooded killing machine merc, why do you believe I should think of you as a complex character.

It's a trap you all step in. You see an exterior, but dont understand whats behind. Forget the fairytales! Its Cyberpunk, baby!
[...] I never said anything about fairytale or whatever. Also, please don't presume to know what I do and do not understand.
PS And yep, he's damn complex one, cause legends are. And he definitely knows about this life much more than an average punk in his city.
Maybe you should read back what I said, I never said he's not smart, cunning and experienced in his "line of work". But this still does not mean complexity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because in human history greatest heroes always stand neck deep in blood. And they define by themselves who's innocent and who's not. You're using an artificial moral code you was trained to follow. But what's the difference between great man and an average one? The greats of this world lived beyond any bounds. They were the ones who wrote moral code you're following and they wrote it for you.

Nice fanfiction but dude is literally a cyberpsycho whose only motivation is to kill people

His official stats in 2020 list his empathy stat as "yeah right" - empathy being the stat that tracks your humanity and how close you are to being cyberpsycho

Depends on my built. I’m Netrunner 1st and foremy. Cool & Tech. A touch of reflux & Build, on those 2 regards It’s easy on hard mode, I kid no not.

Nice fanfiction but dude is literally a cyberpsycho whose only motivation is to kill people

His official stats in 2020 list his empathy stat as "yeah right" - empathy being the stat that tracks your humanity and how close you are to being cyberpsycho
But he's not a cyberpsycho and not a psycho. Actually this "cyberpsycho concept" is a Pondsmith's failure. Because there is no scientific basis behind this, only author's arbitrariness. And by the way take any modern soldier after service at some hotspot and you will get with high probability 0% cyber but psycho. Cause it doesnt matter are your limbs flesh or metal. But whats really matter - are you strong enough to be a killer or your fate is to be a sheep. People with the spine rarely become a psychos.
Post automatically merged:

Again, nothing complex going on here, and it does have to be. However, My question to you was: IF you play as what I deem to be a coldblooded killing machine merc, why do you believe I should think of you as a complex character.
Actually i don't care what you think about me. Because you're not able to understand a simple fact - if you go beyond the line you are either a deadman with a broken head OR your place is there, beyond that line. If you can not imagine whats the way of thinking lies behind Smashers behavior it doesn't mean there is nothing there. Its your level of understanding, your problem. You just trying to approve the principle "if i don't see a thing behind me - it doesn't exist". Your measure of rational isn't universal. As i said - whats normal for you isn't normal for anyone. You're living in the western world with your code and your beliefs. But your world is not an entire world. People over there do not think like you. Another nations, another cultures, another history and tradition. People in your world just not long ago were completely sure they are above anyone else. Only because they belong to the western world. And what happened? We both know.
Adam Smasher does not belong to your world. So am i.

Last edited:
Please remember to keep world-view topics and politics, in regards to real life, out of forum posts, as they are against the rules.

Also, there is no need for anyone to get personal with others.

But he's not a cyberpsycho and not a psycho. Actually this "cyberpsycho concept" is a Pondsmith's failure. Because there is no scientific basis behind this, only author's arbitrariness.
Hum... I didn't even know that Cyberpunk which come from Mike Pondsmith mind was intended to be scientifically accurate... o_O
It was some sort of science-fiction, in which the term "fiction" is important :
"A fiction is a space, more often imaginary than realistic, which can serve as a framework for the telling of a story."

Anyway, as presented in Cyberpunk 2077, for me Smasher is the Arasaka (killing) tool. Ok, a tool with a brain and a missile launcher on his shoulder, but a tool anyway... So as deep as a puddle :D

But he's not a cyberpsycho and not a psycho. Actually this "cyberpsycho concept" is a Pondsmith's failure. Because there is no scientific basis behind this, only author's arbitrariness. And by the way take any modern soldier after service at some hotspot and you will get with high probability 0% cyber but psycho. Cause it doesnt matter are your limbs flesh or metal. But whats really matter - are you strong enough to be a killer or your fate is to be a sheep. People with the spine rarely become a psychos.

Its not arbitrary. It was created for the sake of gameplay balance and, like it or not, its a firmly established rule in-universe that everyone follows. Including Smasher

Also its in really poor taste to suggest that soldiers suffering PTSD are spineless. Lets not go that route, man...

Lore is very clear here, posted this already in topic but:

Adam Smasher was a fairly typical punk, a worthless New York City mook who joined the Army when his gang was wiped out. After several years in uniform, he was discharged for bad conduct and took up being a contract gun-boy in his home city.

He was low life criminal who couldn't plan ahead. His lack of empathy and lust for killing made him rise in ranks, but he always overextended, effed things up. Later Arasaka picked him up as their tool and Smasher in return got enhanced cyberbody to overcome his mental shortcomings, which led him to always fuck things up.

The most interesting thing about character is about consequences regarding transhumanism. They have the tech, but it's function in this case is not to cure mental condition but instead make him not only survive but also become more effective in one thing he was ever good at.

Hum... I didn't even know that Cyberpunk which come from Mike Pondsmith mind was intended to be scientifically accurate... o_O
It was some sort of science-fiction, in which the term "fiction" is important :
"A fiction is a space, more often imaginary than realistic, which can serve as a framework for the telling of a story."

Anyway, as presented in Cyberpunk 2077, for me Smasher is the Arasaka (killing) tool. Ok, a tool with a brain and a missile launcher on his shoulder, but a tool anyway... So as deep as a puddle :D
Why Cyberpunk which come from Gibson mind is accurate then? Maybe because Gibson always stays realistic in his fiction?
And you are tool for your employer. So what? We all work for someone. We all have brains. Limbs. Working tools to do our job. Smasher is a sellsword. You are maybe not.

Its not arbitrary. It was created for the sake of gameplay balance and, like it or not, its a firmly established rule in-universe that everyone follows. Including Smasher

Also its in really poor taste to suggest that soldiers suffering PTSD are spineless. Lets not go that route, man...
There are a lot of ways, realistic, accepted in sci-fi ways to set limits to a gameplay. And this "cyberpsychosis" looks at least strange, because every man has individual limits. And the most important - the body is more fragile than mind. If you tell me about people who dies because their body can not handle so much iron i'll believe you. But if you say about regular psychos as a consequence of *overcyborgization* than let me doubt it. Cause modern medicine says quite the opposite. Your mind can handle much more than your body.
And please dont say PTSD is equal to insanity. Every man is unique and each has his own symptomatics of PTSD. I knew soldiers who had PTSD and i worked with them. They are traumatized but not insane. And they are more than capable to live normal life with the support from other people. Insanity takes people who's not ready to go into struggle. It's a high-level mental disorder. And PTSD is low-level, subconscious thing.

The most interesting thing about character is about consequences regarding transhumanism. They have the tech, but it's function in this case is not to cure mental condition but instead make him not only survive but also become more effective in one thing he was ever good at.
Actually he's a security chief at Arasaka. Too complicated job for a prosy criminal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom