[Spoiler] Need to shut down River

+
I expressed similar thoughts elsewhere. I didn't mind the character of River, but you should have had the option to let him down gently during the dinner for sure (I'd already romanced Judy by this point). Because otherwise it just feels like you're gently stringing him along until you can give him the 'let's just be friends' talk at the top of the watchtower. Also yeah, agree that you should have had some option to tell him that guys aren't your type versus, I've done guys before, but I'm not doing you.

Just a straight female here to make an obligatory "River is creepy and I can't stand him" post.
Post automatically merged:

I dont like River at all with his pimp coat and the guy is huge i was afraid he try to rape me... My V will never go with him
OMG I felt exactly the same, what was CDPR thinking.

There was at least one really awkward non-optional line from V. Something like: ”this isn’t a romantic stroll by chance” in very flirtatious way.
Not very well written if you don’t plan on dating River.
Correct, and she says something like "Joss are you setting us up?" at dinner. It was really forced and uncomfortable... I hated it so much

The picnic date gave me cringe - all this talking about marriage and him being into V, while there's absolutely no chemistry.

This is the only thing I saw wrong, that stuff (marriage and KIDS and SISTER talking about him being into V) should only be triggered if V said ANYTHING previously to give River a "signal" which I know I did not. Maybe the DEV thought you should have just refused to go to the picnic in the first place. But if you do that you could lose out on a dam good weapon! And I actually liked playing the augmented reality game, sucks that is the ONLY time you get to try it.

Last edited:
Guy hits on girl. Girl not interested. News at 11.

This happens all the time, everywhere so now you know what it feels like to be on the opposite end of unwanted attention! River is respectful about it and when Miss V says no, thats the end of it. You only wish some guys got the message that quickly. Grab a beer (or a lemonade) and enjoy life in the friendzone.

Guy hits on girl. Girl not interested. News at 11.

This happens all the time, everywhere so now you know what it feels like to be on the opposite end of unwanted attention! River is respectful about it and when Miss V says no, thats the end of it. You only wish some guys got the message that quickly. Grab a beer (or a lemonade) and enjoy life in the friendzone.
Are you trying to make me feel happy about a weirdo being forced as my romance option?

So my V is only into girls, plus she is already in a relationship with Judy. Can you add a better way to shut him down during the picnic? V should be able to say right there when eating that she is in a relationship already. Also, I don't see my V as ever having been with a man but once they take a walk she starts talking about old boyfriends or guys who hit on her.

Did I miss something, I don't recall flirting with him, just trying to be a friend, like I was/am with Panam.
Same same. My Vixen is probably bi, but is definitely not going to cheat on Judy. I think there are way too few dialogue choices in this game, and frankly I blame voice acting. In the days when there wasn't voice acting, people could build far deeper and more subtle dialogue trees – look at Neverwinter Nights and especially its expansion packs for how well this could be done. I think we won't get back to richer interaction with NPCs until we have really good voice synthesis technology (which, to be fair, is coming).

In the middle of my second playthrough. My gay female V is avoiding any contact with this apeish pimp wearing rapist coat.

This is the only thing I saw wrong, that stuff (marriage and KIDS and SISTER talking about him being into V) should only be triggered if V said ANYTHING previously to give River a "signal" which I know I did not. Maybe the DEV thought you should have just refused to go to the picnic in the first place. But if you do that you could lose out on a dam good weapon! And I actually liked playing the augmented reality game, sucks that is the ONLY time you get to try it.

its weird that you think other characters should properly guess whats in Vs head. I also think this whole concept that a character might attempt and fail to get with V is weird. Do you realize how badly you can stonewall Judy? Judy is just as awkward when you rebuff her.

Well we don't get any other choices, do we? Because the game was created by men, for men.

every gender/body type has one choice. straight males get one option, gay males get one option.

Wait, really? River is the only one?
river= straight female
panam=straight male
judy= gay female
kerry=gay male

everyone gets only one option

every gender/body type has one choice. straight males get one option, gay males get one option.

river= straight female
panam=straight male
judy= gay female
kerry=gay male

Yep, they gave women a shitty choice.

its weird that you think other characters should properly guess whats in Vs head.

Huh? not sure what you are saying. What I am saying is that in RL it would be very strange to be invited over to a new friends home for the FIRST TIME for a picnic and then suddenly his family is "shipping" us so verbally. I am not saying it never happens in RL, just saying it is very strange. :)

river= straight female
panam=straight male
judy= gay female
kerry=gay male

Wow, I did not realize that. I wonder why I felt like there were more. Well, guess I will be happy for me the illusion was there at the time.

I think there are way too few dialogue choices in this game, and frankly I blame voice acting. In the days when there wasn't voice acting, people could build far deeper and more subtle dialogue trees.

I can tell you from experience this is true, but audiences want—or rather more importantly: Game Company Executives believe audiences want—super photo realistic graphics and fully voiced dialogue or they won't buy.

Also, voice acting means dialogue can't be easily revised and changed when you see what's working and what isn't, later in the process, or in response to cuts in the game. A patch could add a bunch of new dialogue options, no problem from a design point of view, but it becomes a major hassle taking half a year when you need to write, record, process, implement, and QA audio files for every new line.

Last edited:
Yep, they gave women a shitty choice.
river seems ehhh to me, but I'm not the target audience, he has some female fans tho. And some notfans
I can tell you from experience this is true, but audiences want—or rather more importantly: Game Company Executives believe audiences want—super photo realistic graphics and fully voiced dialogue or they won't buy. It lets them make movie-style trailers for the game, and there's nothing game company management loves more than to feel like they're in the movie business.

I agree, but at the same time, there is a lot more they can impart with voice acting. I used to be against it, but I'm not sure they could pull off judy as well Without VA

Top Bottom