[Spoilers] High Stakes

+
[Spoilers] High Stakes

In the quest High Stakes you need to fist fight a competitor, Finneas, its fucking hard.
I'm sure alot of people who enjoy Gwent have been attempting this at lower levels.
I'm level 8 on Death March, any tips? Or should I just revert a save and come back later?

I found this exceptionally annoying too.

I don't like reloading to get thru impossible content and I wasn't about to reload to a previous save point and lose my tournament progress.

Out of all the things in the game I like the boxing the least and don't like it forced upon me, especially in such an annoying way (when playing the non violent mini game).

I only play on regular so I could switch it to easy and beat the moron down without hassles but I hate doing that cheese.

I enjoy this game and this is the first thing I've encountered that was not fun. I don't play games to be annoyed.

Last edited:
This fight is absolutely ridiculous! I am now hopelessly stuck. I came here to play Gwent, won 3 rounds, don't want to loose the progress, but there is no way to kill this clown. Enable potions at least, signs preferably, or nerf him. This is a Gwent tournament not the fist fighting quest boss.

He's one of the fist fighters to use the quick attack and you're probably used to the slower punchers. All fist fighters after the Tailor use it too so get used to it. Basically instead of holding down the block button press it real quick before he does an attack, it'll counter him much like the sword counter and you can get one or two punches in. Repeat till he's down.

Felt the same way but was playing on Death March, so didn't want to change difficulty level. For those in the same boat, I offer up my solution. Even after reading about the good advice to counterpunch, followed by fast punch and quick back up, I would inevitably get pinned in a corner and take too much damage trying to get out of that situation. Hence, I figured it was a problem of not enough vitality to outlast him in the fight, unless I had a perfect run where I kept him on that center strip (something that never happened because PC keys are difficult to manage in fistfights in tight quarters). Luckily I had a potion with me that enabled reassigning the skill points and I went back to my hard save after the first tournament with the halfling. I then put everything into the green alchemy tree until I had maxed out the upper level skill that gives a tremendous boost to vitality by strengthening the mutagen effect (SYNERGY). With greater green mutagens attached to a full green build it boosted my vitality quite a bit. While this did not solve my fighting problem, it gave me the luxury of a few mistakes, and I defeated him within a few tries. One thing I picked up from a fellow frustrated poster was the observation that the red bar glows at the moment you should counterpunch (quick right click), because relying on the animation is not productive. Very annoying challenge to say the least, especially since I needed to respec back afterwards. Luckily though, money was not an issue for my character and it was well worth the 2000 in coin to move forward. Hell, if that had been an option I would of paid it upfront rather than spend another minute trying to defeat the arrogant elf with the self-satisfied head bob finishing animation. Through the whole process I kept feeling like this was beta tested by a group of teenagers with decked out controllers. One thing is for sure, they certainly weren't trying it on my PC and old mouse.

Last edited:
Oh this! First time I started this quest way under leveled. It's just a card game, where do you need levels? :whistle:

This was the ONLY fight in this game that I purely hated... I got stuck everywhere and died almost instantly. Many, many times. :( Had to google some help. Easy is the only mode where I can beat him. I'm not much of a fighter, but like to enjoy a good story and playing cards. That guy is just too much for the Gwent quest.

the most idiotic experience in the whole game... i have promised myself never to buy cd red products again. it would have been nice if at least he was not a freakin begot. it is just sooooo enraging, [...]

Edited. -Drac

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom