Stop drawing conclusions when CDPR openly states that things are placeholders and subject to change.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Game made a lot of money and millions of people legitimately like it. If CDPR will manage to fix key problems, bugs and add more content, Cyberpunk might stil be a huge success. With potential of DLC expansions turning this game into a masterpiece. Side note, but TW3 also recieved biggest praises AFTER the DLC's.

Why there is so much hate and drama ?
I don't want to sound like a fan too much, becouse I am also dissappointed with a lot of things. But no offence, some of you are such a whiners.

10/10 game or it's crap - type of logic.

No, again - I myself, am enjoying the game. It's a decently fun game - but they advertised a revolutionary experience in RPGs. What did we get? A game that didn't include anything revolutionary at all, besides maybe probably (visually at least) the most realistic and believable city-scape I've seen. But in terms of all the revolutionary new spin on old gameplay mechanics? None, nothing, zero. It literally doesn't hold a candle against 2003 PS2 era games as Deus Ex: Invisible War or GTA San Andreas.

Problem is, the behavior CDPR has shown prior to release, and the fact that so many of the promised features are nowhere to be found. Also the backpedaling on censor proves that CDPR is not the company I was led to believe it was.

So I have no reason to believe that they will deliver what was promised without them being called out on directly addressing the issues.

And while it seems a lot of people have lower standards and accept the state of the industry, there is no denying that CDPR didn't deliver the standard they promised.

I can understand that we have extremes on both ends, both hater and apologists. But the fact remains that up untill the release, CDPR was silent on the state of the game - made so many promises and touted that this game would be the next milestone in RPGs.
And it's not even an RPG anymore. They are listing it as an Action Game.

Before release: Hey guys, we are making the greatest RPG ever, 2077!
After release: What, you don't like our 2077 action game?

And it's not even an RPG anymore. They are listing it as an Action Game.
The whole RPG debate is weird for me ,like what qualifies as RPG anymore? if Jrpgs are considred "RPGs" why shouldnt this be aswell? i think a good example of going down on the RPG mechanics was Mass Effect 2 and many debates were going around it being an RPG but honestly? who gives a shit? i always laughed at these debates because at the end of the day i still enjoyed Mass effect 2 even more than Mass effect 1

The whole RPG debate is weird for me ,like what qualifies as RPG anymore? if Jrpgs are considred "RPGs" why shouldnt this be aswell? i think a good example of going down on the RPG mechanics was Mass Effect 2 and many debates were going around it being an RPG but honestly? who gives a shit? i always laughed at these debates because at the end of the day i still enjoyed Mass effect 2 even more than Mass effect 1

It obviously matters enough that CDPR decided to sneakily change how they tag the game. Really sleazy move to do that in my opinion. Just go watch the Night City Wire streams and listen to how much they call the game an RPG (man watching those after release, they are full of so much bulls***)

It obviously matters enough that CDPR decided to sneakily change how they tag the game. Really sleazy move to do that in my opinion. Just go watch the Night City Wire streams and listen to how much they call the game an RPG (man watching those after release, they are full of so much bulls***)
its definitely a marketing move but the game is as much of an RPG as the witcher 3 was if not more so

Couple posts deleted, couple edited ... don't call people with differing opinions from yours names (e.g. "whiners" or "fanboys"). People who keep up the personal attacks against other users are gonna start getting penalties.

Moderator hat off

In my opinion, it's definitely still an action RPG (just like TW3). It's not a "do anything you want RPG," because the range of options has to fit the story CDPR was telling and the character they wrote for that story. But there's still a lot of player choice in the game, more so than in TW3 by a wide margin.

Also, there is a character progression system that involves character creation, four different progression systems for the character (stats, skills, perks and cyberware), and a plethora of gear / fashion options.

If a game featuring choices and consequences and character progression isn't considered an RPG, I'm not sure what is. Those are the two things that consistently define the genre.

Also if you read Everything We've Heard So Far About Cyberpunk 2077, which I stopped editing when reviews came out, ... it's very consistent with what the game ended up being.

This is not true at all. One, I'm a shareholder and I know many other shareholders of companies who are concerned with ethical investing. Yes, it's a thing.

Two, CDPR retains total control over their product. The largest voting block by far is CDPR old-timers and core personnel. They ensure CDPR stays on path. Not that it matters - returns over the last decade have been -very- nice, thank you.

Here is the CEO on the subject:

"[Our people] believe that, I hope they believe that, at CDProjekt they are able to create the greatest games in the world. No one will stop them because we, as business persons in the company, we are not valuing Business over Quality. So we never stop them from quality for any business reason."

"We have to calculate money, of course, but we are not the company which will ever, ever say, "because of fiscal, we have to." Never. We always look at the long term, we always look at the quality because we truly believe in it."

Adam Kiciński, President, CD Projekt Red S.A.

Making a good game is more important than making a popular or more-money game.

Your facts are incorrect and your perspective on CDPR and shareholders are also incorrect. They care, we care and everyone looks forward to a quality product. That's just good business.

If thats true then why release an unfinished game just before Christmas.

If a game featuring choices and consequences
The Witcher 3: If you kill the Baron's men, you have to find another way to the castle in the next story mission. The decision to attack Bottchling or not leads to two completely different story quests with different characters. If you don't find out from Menge where Dandelion is being held, the player gets a unique quest with a unique character. If you complete Skellige first, the player gets a unique story quest where Geralt find out about Uma in Velen.

Could you give some examples from the Cyberpunk storyline where a player's decision in the dialogue would not only change the story mission and the dialogues in it, but also lead to several completely different story missions with unique characters?

As far as I know, there's only one such mission in Cyberpunk and that's The Pick Up, where V and Jackie are going to buy a spider bot. That's the problem: Cyberpunk has only one mission with choices and consequences for the entire storyline.

Last edited:
Seriously. People are losing their marbles over something the company is saying at the beginning of the Video are placeholders. This just goes to show how much BS the gaming industry has exposed people to in the past, so that we are now seeing people jump to conclusions and be this viciously precautious about another potential bad investment / letdown.

Stay cool people, this is the maker of The Witcher and Mike Pondsminth, a real gaming oldschool innovator and OG. Its not EA or Pethesda.

This game will be the bomb.
You are right!

In my opinion, it's definitely still an action RPG (just like TW3). It's not a "do anything you want RPG," because the range of options has to fit the story CDPR was telling and the character they wrote for that story. But there's still a lot of player choice in the game, more so than in TW3 by a wide margin.

What rarely exists in CP are 'choices', ignoring the fact - for me - of a very poorly constructed, linear and absolutely dull story ... without salt, without sugar, nothing that holds players, if not the artificial haste created for a 'fake character' for the player to run, run and run, rush story - like they, CD, rush with this tragedy and all this for bad decisions of game directors, to transform CP into a fast food infinitely worse than GTA (and GTA hurts bad) and simply to sell copies. This mediocre logic became absurd when they decided to launch something that did not work on multiple platforms as such. Nothing is 'chance', a sort of coincidence. There are striking differences between what was shown in trailers, interviews, etc., of what the game is currently. Or, the entire planet Earth is without reason and a few game design directors, with reason.

I have 200 hours in game not because of what the game has to offer - almost nothing at all - but because I have a brain capable of creating or making a rock, a spaceship.

I have avoided more acid criticisms of the game, its direction - it is responsible for the resounding failure called Cyberpunk 2077 to what they proposed as the 'game of the decade' (laughs). But it gets difficult with each passing day ... every bad 'mission' completed ... every absurdity seen in game.

But, this is just a sad point of view, because I know that CDPR will do absolutely nothing to change. The game was born dead by company decision.

Last edited:
Seriously. People are losing their marbles over something the company is saying at the beginning of the Video are placeholders. This just goes to show how much BS the gaming industry has exposed people to in the past, so that we are now seeing people jump to conclusions and be this viciously precautious about another potential bad investment / letdown.

Stay cool people, this is the maker of The Witcher and Mike Pondsminth, a real gaming oldschool innovator and OG. Its not EA or Pethesda.

This game will be the bomb.
Guess you were wrong heh?=)))

The Witcher 3: If you kill the Baron's men, you have to find another way to the castle in the next story mission. The decision to attack Bottchling or not leads to two completely different story quests with different characters. If you don't find out from Menge where Dandelion is being held, the player gets a unique quest with a unique character. If you complete Skellige first, the player gets a unique story quest where Geralt find out about Uma in Velen.
Sure. If you skip Stout, the Maelstrom quest in the prologue is completely different. The Judy questline with Clouds has two totally different endings depending on if you go along with Maiko's coup. Sending Jackie's body to home or victors has a pretty big consequence for his consciousness and your relationship with Mama Wells. If you do the Panam, Rogue or Johnny sidequests, you get very different final mission and ending options. Several of the gigs have choices that result in whether certain NPCs live or die. Doing the main quests in different order results in different dialogue options. The lifepath choice has unique dialogue throughout the game. Your stats also have unique dialogues throughout the game that can sometimes result in better outcomes.

it's clearly an rpg in my book and I think CDPR thinks the same. Now the reason why they changed the tag in twitter is most likely because they wanted draw in additional audience which are kind of adverse of the rpg genre as being too complicated. Or probably they though it as a way to easily deflect the never content mob that would come after them if the game wasn't rpg-ish enough. I don't blame them either way.

I ll use this, dont read if u dont complet the game

Judy only alternates between two endings, between two endings, one tragic, the other, pathetic. But they are minor decisions, to what the game was proposing. And in the end, only the scenario changes. Ridiculous!
Post automatically merged:

The 'game of the decade' defined by this:

We summarized the 'game of the decade' in 'different lines of dialogues' at the end ... with the same logic, scenarios ... and an empty, lifeless, boring map, with nothing more to say because the company wants to sell DLCs ...

Thankfully, no other game has done this before ... and CP 2077 is or could be anything but an or LESS RPG. In my view.

Last edited:
Now the reason why they changed the tag in twitter is most likely because they wanted draw in additional audience which are kind of adverse of the rpg genre as being too complicated.
Yeah the original was "the RPG of the Dark Future" or something like that ... which frankly is not very descriptive for marketing purposes. RPG is a term of art that many people disagree about (as can be seen in this thread). Also the Dark Future isn't especially informative as the game is already called Cyberpunk 2077, we know it's in the future and dystopian from the title itself.

So they drop the ambiguity and go with "an an open-world, action-adventure story." That tells you that it's an open world game, that it's action based and that it's centered around a narrative. Notice it doesn't say action adventure game, but story. I'm not a rep for them, but I would wager they would still call the game an RPG for the reasons I stated above. It's the story that is described as action-adventure ... which is accurate. Plus we still have the title which tells us it's set in a dystopian future. It's a more informative tagline for users unfamiliar with CDPR or Cyberpunk (the IP - not the genre).

Can I give you a simple example, which motivated even a huge topic in this forum?

Romance. Why does a single line define this 'in game'? How is it that something that is intended to be new is limited to a few lines of dialogue so that a novel exists? How is it that something that is intended as 'revolutionary', the 'game of the decade', has undergone this spurious, mediocre 'linearity', seen in most games until today built, developed and with a technology capable of overcoming this easily?

I really do not understand. In fact, CP was developed in less than 3 years, I am saying this. Not in eight years. In eight years, they wouldn't do this 'more of the same' show ...

The Night City Wire streams were only a few months ago, and in those they talk up CP2077 as a full fledged RPG with consequences for your actions, choices that effect the world and other things that are not representative of the game.

While I give CDPR a pass on removing the features, what I don't give them a pass on is not updating the community on these fundamental changes, and making those Night City Wires that, when watched now, are full of deceitful statements. Even in the one they did a month before release (which is arguably the worst for deception)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom