Suggested change to Dettlaff leader

+
A little overlooked this season, the once mighty Dettlaff is now a weak and redundant leader. As the monster control leader, he has access to worse control cards than Eithne and Crach. With Regis:Bloodlust, Enraged Ifrit, Protofleder, Gimpy Gerwin, Cyclops, and Whispess all receiving nerfs, Dettlaff's only core card spared was Manticore Venom. There is no reason to play Detlaff control over Eithne or Crach control, unless someone especially needs monster fmmr.

Dettlaff does not have much synergy with the best control cards remaining- Cleaver, Cyprian Wiley, and Vigo's Muzzle. Since Dettlaff fails as a control leader, he should have an actual archetype, and none makes more sense than vampire/bleeding, considering his story background. To remedy the situation, I propose either of the following changes to Dettlaff's leader ability:

Option 1
Order: Give a unit bleeding for 2 turns. if the unit dies during the round, spawn an Ekimmara
Charge: 3

This option would give Dettlaff synergy with Orianna and Gael and make a lot of sense in terms of vampire lore. Vampire cards, despite being the focal point of Crimson Curse, currently lack archetype support and are rarely included in monster decks. The vampires need a stronger leader who synergizes with their bleed ability.

or

Option 2
Order: Give a unit bleeding for 2 turns.
Charge: 2
Whenever an enemy unit dies of bleeding, spawn an Ekimmara(in any round, like Arachas Queen)

This option would give Dettlaff synergy with Queen of the Night and Plumard

I've suggested the exact same thing during the closed PTR, before the Dettlaff nerf. Unfortunately, the devs took a different path.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Option 2 looks good. Although you might not even need the charges. "Whenever a unit with bleeding dies, spawn an ekimmara". Even if you actually kill a bleeding unit with something else like that other vampire.

Option 1
Give back his original ability then nerf his provision cost to 162.

Option 2
Order: Damage an enemy unit by 1, if it survives give it Bleeding for 2 turns.
Deathblow: Spawn an Ekkimara on a random allied row.
Charge: 3

This is his current ability with a minor tweak. This way his charges is a constant 3 value output

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Option 2
Order: Give a unit bleeding for 2 turns.
Charge: 2
Whenever an enemy unit dies of bleeding, spawn an Ekimmara(in any round, like Arachas Queen)

This option would give Dettlaff synergy with Queen of the Night and Plumard

I really like this suggestion. Before the nerf he was too strong but now he needs some buffs but this is true for the whole vampire archtype. To play a vampire deck feels cool (being the leader of an army of bloodthirsty vamps) but after a couple of matches that I played (including crimson curse) it absolutly feels to weak. The only vampire that really cares about other vampires is Oriana (great card). Fleder is good but only works with deathwish units. Nekurat is too slow and gets removed all the time. I don´t like Garkain cause it kills the bleeding value. Gael is just bad for its provision cost. I like crimson curse but it is really slow and it can get hard to find the right time to play it. When it works its awesome :cool:.

Would be cool if you could give bleeding to your own units to turn them into vampires. Or if you drain a unit from your opponent to death it could turn into an ekimmara that joins your side.

Last edited:

rrc

Forum veteran
The concept of the card Crimson Curse looked awesome, the first ever boon row effect in HC, but it is too weak and very difficult to pilot. You need a decent strength Vampire to kill and at least one Vampire in both rows for that to be somewhat useful. And if the opponent removes one of the vampires (or moves) you lose a precious trigger as the trigger happens during round start; leaving the buff to the mercy of the opponent. I know that even pre-HC, the boon effects worked only on turn start. But this card needs too much setup and too many conditions to be useful as it is now.

I really wish they make Crimson Curse viable and useful. At least making it trigger at the end of the round will make it multiple fold more useful. Or make it boost two random Vampires by two. Or, even better, the Blood Moon will prevent any Hazard effects to be applied to the row. Something. Give that card a boost/buff.

If CC card gets buffed, it will greatly encourage players to try Detlaff too. And yes, Detlaff needs a buff. All the suggestions in this thread looks awesome and just about perfect without making him OP.

Top Bottom