Thanks CDPR for Witcher 2 enhanced gift

+
I recommend playing the elven path in Witcher 2 (because ST is life and you see NR characters like Roche or Ves in Witcher 3 anyway, but not Saskia or Iorveth). I think playing Gwent while knowing the lore adds some great flavour.

4RM3D;n8585220 said:
The Witcher 1 is actually a pretty mediocre game that has aged poorly. The Enhanced Edition helped a lot, but still.

Agreed, the Witcher 2 was the first part of the series I've played, so I first played the Witcher 1 after I got it for free and I actually stopped playing it after one or two hours because it was ......not really enjoyable. It really aged poorly.

I can recommend everybody to play the Witcher 2 though. Combat system is pretty dull, but everything else is still really nice.

Last edited:
I also got a copy of the witcher 2 but cant play it because my PC is trash, can i have a xbox one version? :geraltsad:

I, also, already have all three games. Does anybody know if we can pass on the free code? I emailed it to a friend that has been considering trying all of the games for the first time, but worried it would be tied to my GOG account...

4RM3D;n8585220 said:
Having played all three Witcher games, I want to give you a heads-up.

The Witcher 1 is actually a pretty mediocre game that has aged poorly. The Enhanced Edition helped a lot, but still.
The Witcher 2 is were things start to get interesting. It also has a few choices that will completely change the game; major changes, unlike other open games you might have played.
The Witcher 3 came and holy damn... almost the best RPG game ever. The combat still is pretty simple and too straight forward, like in all the Witcher games. But the world, the characters, the story and lore are some of the best out there. The quests (and the freedom of choice) are nice and it's interesting to see the impact you have on the world with little things that people remember and tell you when you meet them (again).

Witcher 1 was actually my favorite, and still kinda is. Witcher 2 was amazing, and the branching storyline really increases replayability. Witcher 3 is, of course, huge and wonderful. Haven;t tried a second play-though of it yet, but definitely plan to do so. However, while W1 has aged (and it shows), the size (5 acts and many more areas than W2) was great (especially for it's time and not being truly open world) and the alchemy system is the best in the series. Crafting in W2 kinda bugged me (but you get used to it).

It's notable that I am not a huge gamer. I am rather selective in what I play and limited in how much time I can play (eg: never played Dark Souls), so I liked combat in W1 (nice and simple so I could focus more on story - though I only played the Extended edition) and found W2 combat a bit clunky. W3 has the best combat, I think.

Thank you very much CDPR for the surprise gift.

4RM3D;n8585220 said:
Having played all three Witcher games, I want to give you a heads-up.

The Witcher 2 is were things start to get interesting. It also has a few choices that will completely change the game; major changes, unlike other open games you might have played.
The Witcher 3 came and holy damn... almost the best RPG game ever. The combat still is pretty simple and too straight forward, like in all the Witcher games. But the world, the characters, the story and lore are some of the best out there. The quests (and the freedom of choice) are nice and it's interesting to see the impact you have on the world with little things that people remember and tell you when you meet them (again).

Side note: Dark Souls' combat with The Witcher's world...

Honestly, I disagree with most of this. I think The Witcher is a fantastic game that was ahead of its time, but hasn't necessarily aged all that well. The story and dialog are still all on point, and the game has compelling choices and interesting characters. However, the game tends to drag a bit at times. I think I put about 40 hours into the game(?) and really enjoyed about 25 of those hours, but had to push myself through the other 15. I think the best way to play it *at this point* is with cheats and/or at the easiest difficulty, so that you can experience all the good things without having to commit *too* much time. (Though you'll still end up doing a lot of running back and forth).

The Witcher 2 is an amazing game. There's a reason it was so critically acclaimed. If not for The Witcher 3, we might still be talking about Assassins of Kings as one of the all-time-great RPGs.

Finally, The Witcher 3. It's become the standard against which all other games are measured. Just look at the comments section on any game review or discussion board or gaming thread on reddit, and it'll take about 5 minutes before someone brings up The Witcher 3. It's almost kind of annoying, tbh. But very well deserved. The game does everything so well, and it does things that other games have never even tried to do. The combat probably is the weakest point, but I think that's only relative to everything else. Again, disagreeing with 4RM3D, I think the combat is still very strong.

Side note: 4RM3D , if you don't mind my asking, did you play the games in order?
Double side note: if I had to pick a combat system I want in The Witcher 3, to make it even better, it would be either Dishonored or Shadow of Mordor. Most games would be enhanced by one of those (very different) combat systems.

Last edited:
Yep. I also just played a few hours on W1 and simply didnt have more desire to play it. The game definitely must not aged well.

I will try a W2 run though.

Witcher 1 & 2 was the best rpg games I played, Witcher 3 is not. W3 is more like Best Adventure game to me sorry but it lacks many rpg elements. The main thing is open world which ruins all rpg suspense factor for me about further locations, quests, epic/legendary armor, weapons etc. on that W3 adventurous background music killed immersion which W1/2 is best at.
W2 dense swamps & that creepy bg music I still remember how immersive that was but I hate W3 swamps with so much light & slim trees :/ No variety in armor, weapons nothing. No such rpg elements.

W3 is good game with good story but it's more like adventure game rather then rpg & this is my personal opinion. I don't want to start any fights here but as I saw some players miss the chance to play W1/2 I am feeling for them that they missed best rpg games :)

Anyways back to the topic.. Congrats to all who got W2 as free, Go try that game, it's awesome. I am unlucky not to have any mail from cdpr :(

Last edited:
Thanks to CDPR indeed. It was a very nice surprise, especially with all the bonuses included. Awesome Studio!

TH3WITCH3R;n8587960 said:
Witcher 1 & 2 was the best rpg games I played
for me witcher 1 has the best atmosphere ! sometimes i listen the main meniu theme and is so.. bad ass. and is unique! witcher 1 sucks at combat, but in terms of story and atmosphere is the best my opinion. and witcher 2 , is nost as good as 1 at story but has better combat than 3.

Last edited:
I already owned Witcher 1 & 2 on GOG before starting the Gwent Beta so sadly the codes sent to me to redeem those games are of no use. I don't however own Witcher 3 on GOG, only have it on Steam and PS4, so if CDPR would like to send me a GOG code for Witcher 3 instead that would be great and enable me to complete my Witcher collection on GOG.

I almost finished The Witcher 2, kek. But still, big thanks, Witcher gog icons collection is growing nonetheless.

aholeel;n8587720 said:
Side note: 4RM3D , if you don't mind my asking, did you play the games in order?
Double side note: if I had to pick a combat system I want in The Witcher 3, to make it even better, it would be either Dishonored or Shadow of Mordor. Most games would be enhanced by one of those (very different) combat systems.

I have played The Witcher series in order, but I've never finished The Witcher 1.

The combat system of the Witcher games was never the thing that set the games apart from others. The combat was good enough to carry the world of The Witcher, but beyond that it's lacking.

Dishonored I never could get into even though I like stealth games. The game was "off" somehow. Shadow of Mordor is a pretty nice game, but its combat system, while very solid, is too much for The Witcher and doesn't fit the world. Dark Souls' combat is still one of the best systems ever created and it also suits the world of The Witcher.

cwattyeso;n8589940 said:
I already owned Witcher 1 & 2 on GOG before starting the Gwent Beta so sadly the codes sent to me to redeem those games are of no use. I don't however own Witcher 3 on GOG, only have it on Steam and PS4, so if CDPR would like to send me a GOG code for Witcher 3 instead that would be great and enable me to complete my Witcher collection on GOG.

Haha, nice try :D

Nice surpsrise. I have shitty PC that cant even run gwent properly :D. If i upgrade someday it will be nice to play all the games! Maybe ill read the books again and then do the games.. its a never ending cycle.

are we all (closed beta participants) getting these ? Still waiting for mine, though I heard they're sending it in waves. But none of the info was official. I only found out in this thread that we should get W2 :-/

Top Bottom