The compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
There's actually a very good reason why Durante's suggestion can give rise to microstuttering by itself, summarised wonderfully in this post from NeoGAF. This is why I prefer using Adaptive (half refresh rate) VSync enabled from the NVIDIA Control Panel as opposed to RTSS! ;)
Yeah that makes sense. I pray that one day Gsync/Freesync monitors will be affordable so we don't have to deal with this anymore. :)

Also, you guys mentioned Super Turbo Lighting Mod earlier. Here's a nice video showing direct comparison between vanilla and the mod. Updated for B&W:

Yeah that makes sense. I pray that one day Gsync/Freesync monitors will be affordable so we don't have to deal with this anymore. :)

Also, you guys mentioned Super Turbo Lighting Mod earlier. Here's a nice video showing direct comparison between vanilla and the mod. Updated for B&W:

Yeah, I'll definitely be getting myself a G-SYNC monitor with my next build this coming Black Friday! At the moment I'm considering the AOC G2460PG, since it's really good value for money. :D

As for STLM 2.2.1, I've been testing it for myself and am absolutely in love with it. As such, I've included it in my personal working configuration in section 18 of the OP! :p

Ive also found another problem:
for example after increasing grass_distance_scale beyond uber I see flickering grass while moving the camera. However changing grass_ring_size fixed the problem. Same happens to the ground/small rocks and other details after changing DOF settings. Do you know how to fix shadow flickering? I wanted to increase cascade_shadow_distance_scale but shadows flicker as well. Do you know what should I modify to fix the problem? Ofc it happens only when cfg settings are beyond uber.

Guest 3841499

Does the game even support or use DoF outside of cut scenes? AFAIK it only uses Radial Blur for far-away objects. What happened to the "TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=false" tweak? Is it no longer valid after 1.21 patch? I also recall there was some Stencil Lighting tweak - did anyone ever create on/off comparisons of this tweak? I don't think it did anything...

IMHO, the best shadow image quality improvement at little-to-no cost to performance is this:
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=4 (values of 8 and 16 require CascadeShadowMapSize to be at 8192 for decent shadow quality, but the performance cost is really high)
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=8 (much better than 4 and without noticeable shadow quality loss)
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=4
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=2
CascadeShadowQuality=6
CascadeShadowMapSize=4096

I also strongly suggest for people to use Sharpness=2 (Heavy), but set TextureMipBias=0 and add ReShade FXAA. ReShade sharpness tools like LumaSharpen, AdaptiveSharpen, etc. are applied to the whole image, while in-game sharpness is selective and is mostly applied to textures. I advice against applying ReShade sharpness. When TextureMipBias is set to 0, heavy sharpness doesn't shimmer much, at least not with HD Project Reworked and Realistic Contrast Textures mods. Negative LOD Bias is a very cheap way to improve image quality at the cost of shimmering... Adding ReShade FXAA on top of all that (+ in-game AA) will further reduce shimmering and remove many jaggies that in-game AA doesn't remove. ReShade FXAA will also reduce the over-sharpness, making it nearly-perfect! I advice to use FXAA instead of SMAA because FXAA works better for temporal aliasing than SMAA. UseMipRefiner=true is a must of course.

---------- Updated at 05:58 PM ----------

When I first tried Super Turbo Lighting mod, I thought it was really bad, but since 2.2 version, there has been much so much improvement. I don't use it because it desaturates all the colors and they don't look realistic. There's very little contrast when this mod is used...For example, fire is too pale, interiors are too bright, etc. I think it can BECOME an extremely good mod if developers put work into it. I think they are trying to make the game neutral and remove the post-grading filters, but it doesn't look like the E3 2014 grading either. Anyway - HUGE THANKS FOR THIS MOD TOO!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the game even support or use DoF outside of cut scenes? AFAIK it only uses Radial Blur for far-away objects. What happened to the "TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=false" tweak? Is it no longer valid after 1.21 patch? I also recall there was some Stencil Lighting tweak - did anyone ever create on/off comparisons of this tweak? I don't think it did anything...

IMHO, the best shadow image quality improvement at little-to-no cost to performance is this:
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=4 (values of 8 and 16 require CascadeShadowMapSize to be at 8192 for decent shadow quality, but the performance cost is really high)
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=8 (much better than 4 and without noticeable shadow quality loss)
CascadeShadowQuality=6

I also strongly suggest for people to use Sharpness=2 (Heavy), but set TextureMipBias=0 and add ReShade FXAA. ReShade sharpness tools like LumaSharpen, AdaptiveSharpen, etc. are applied to the whole image, while in-game sharpness is selective and is mostly applied to textures. I advice against applying ReShade sharpness. When TextureMipBias is set to 0, heavy sharpness doesn't shimmer much, at least not with HD Project Reworked and Realistic Contrast Textures mods. Negative LOD Bias is a very cheap way to improve image quality at the cost of shimmering... Adding ReShade FXAA on top of all that (+ in-game AA) will further reduce shimmering and remove many jaggies that in-game AA doesn't remove. ReShade FXAA will also reduce the over-sharpness, making it nearly-perfect! I advice to use FXAA instead of SMAA because FXAA works better for temporal aliasing than SMAA. UseMipRefiner=true is a must of course.

Thank you very much for sharing you settings and tweaks with us, my friend! :p

I don't think TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=false ever amounted to anything concrete, just like the stencil lighting tweak. I personally don't have comparison screenshots of these two, but I remember they were quite controversial in the old thread. :ermm:

While I am absolutely loving the slightly desatured look of STLM 2.2.1, the sheer amount of aliasing in this game - both static and temporal - is really ruining the game for me at times. I guess using ReShade FXAA on top of in-game AA could improve image quality a bit, but at the cost of fudging up the text in the menus and captions, which I also dislike a great deal. I don't suppose there's a way to configure ReShade FXAA to not impact text as well, is there? :(

Guest 3841499

What kind of lighting does STLM provide? I remember there was a mod that would enable cut-scene lighting at all times, not just for cut scenes. Is that what STLM does? IMHO it desaturates a bit too much and that's with Realistic Contrast Textures mod installed, which makes texture saturated. Without Realistic Contrast Textures, the desaturation is just too much... It kills contrast.

CascadeShadowQuality=6

---------- Updated at 05:58 PM ----------

When I first tried Super Turbo Lighting mod, I thought it was really bad, but since 2.2 version, there has been much so much improvement. I don't use it because it desaturates all the colors and they don't look realistic. There's very little contrast when this mod is used...For example, fire is too pale, interiors are too bright, etc. I think it can BECOME an extremely good mod if developers put work into it. I think they are trying to make the game neutral and remove the post-grading filters, but it doesn't look like the E3 2014 grading either. Anyway - HUGE THANKS FOR THIS MOD TOO!

I must disagree with these advices, considering the current state of the game with 1.21 update and it's modding related stuff (complex lighting system with uneasy modding tools), using any mod that modifies lighting it's a risk since modders currently haven't analyze and work with all the changes brought by the latest update, something which is worsened by the complex modding system that we have (and the desperately need of better modding tools).

IMO working through the settings showed in the post and cconsidering the complex vanilla lighting system (and if you want to, complementing it with really great texture mods, like rework HD and better lod, and maybe even weather mods like weather enhanced) is the best workaround we can do today.

Regarding some of the settings showed in the main page, i have tested with a relative normal/common setup (gtx 970 + i5 4690k, enough ram, window 8.1, etc) and i've came to some conclusions:

-It's indeed better to have anisotropic filtering off (through NVCP) and use MaxTextureAnizotropy=0 (through user.settings) if you use high visual settings and demanding mods (which are worth it really), otherwise a kind of stuttering and lower fps will happen in demanding areas.

-In the adaptive sync and vsync topics, it depends on whether your system can achieve more than 60 fps or not, i've a 144hz monitor (im a fps player, where having at least a 120 hz monitor is really important for visual fluency in the game) and i've noted that when i try to use any type of vsync while limiting fps to 60 -in situations where your fps could be higher- the visual transition from frame to frame seems to be kinda off, like if you were playing with visual stutter.
In fps we avoid limiting fps since if your system constantly reaches the fps cap (which happens quite a lot depending on the situation) it creates input lag and other problems, maybe in TW3 limiting fps and while your system is able to constatly reach that limit creates this visual stuter.

Then i tried playing the same situation but with unlimited fps cap (reaching 90 or so fps) and this stutter was gone, i dont know if it's because of my monitor hz or because im used to higher fps (so it's normal to feel clunky), but i rather get used to fps fluctuation (since when i go to city and demanding places, fps drop to 50-60) and have unlimited fps than to cap it at 60 and feel this visual stutter when i'm in a situation where fps could go higher.

I would like some opinions about this (maybe im not the only one feeling this), regarding vsync, when having a high hz monitor like mine the only viable options would be either half adaptive sync (so the limit where vsync switches on or off is 72 fps) or complete vsync (limit is 60 always, no switching), to achieve the first one i obviously had to put unlimited fps in the ingame config and it was the one where i felt less visual stutter (and ofc no visual tearing when higher fps were achived).

Last edited:
It's indeed better to have anisotropic filtering off (through NVCP) and use MaxTextureAnizotropy=0 (through user.settings) if you use high visual settings and demanding mods (which are worth it really), otherwise a kind of stuttering and lower fps will happen in demanding areas.

Anisotropic filtering (AF) costs virtually nothing performance-wise these days and without any of it enabled textures look really bad even two feet away from Geralt. I'm personally using high quality 16x AF enabled through the NVCP and have never encountered this particular stuttering you and Lyvean are both mentioning. Are you positively sure your stuttering is caused by having AF enabled and not something else? :ermm:

In the adaptive sync and vsync topics, it depends on whether your system can achieve more than 60 fps or not, i've a 144hz monitor (im a fps player, where having at least a 120 hz monitor is really important for visual fluency in the game) and i've noted that when i try to use any type of vsync while limiting fps to 60 -in situations where your fps could be higher- the visual transition from frame to frame seems to be kinda off, like if you were playing with visual stutter.
In fps we avoid limiting fps since if your system constantly reaches the fps cap (which happens quite a lot depending on the situation) it creates input lag and other problems, maybe in TW3 limiting fps and while your system is able to constatly reach that limit creates this visual stuter.

Then i tried playing the same situation but with unlimited fps cap (reaching 90 or so fps) and this stutter was gone, i dont know if it's because of my monitor hz or because im used to higher fps (so it's normal to feel clunky), but i rather get used to fps fluctuation (since when i go to city and demanding places, fps drop to 50-60) and have unlimited fps than to cap it at 60 and feel this visual stutter when i'm in a situation where fps could go higher.

I would like some opinions about this (maybe im not the only one feeling this), regarding vsync, when having a high hz monitor like mine the only viable options would be either half adaptive sync (so the limit where vsync switches on or off is 72 fps) or complete vsync (limit is 60 always, no switching), to achieve the first one i obviously had to put unlimited fps in the ingame config and it was the one where i felt less visual stutter (and ofc no visual tearing when higher fps were achived).

Using the in-game framerate limiter introduces frame pacing issues (i.e. microstutter), so it's always best to set it to "Unlimited" regardless of your hardware. Besides, since you're playing on a 144 Hz monitor you should never employ a 60 FPS cap anyway, since 60 is a not a divisor of 144 and this can only lead to further frame pacing issues and discarded frames. ;)

If I were you, I would follow the advice detailed in section 12 of the OP and enable Adaptive (half refresh rate) VSync via the NVCP, which will sync your framerate to 72 FPS and eliminate all screen tearing and frame pacing issues in the process. Just remember to always keep both the in-game limiter to "Unlimited" and in-game VSync off no matter what framerate you ultimately choose to play the game at and your overall experience will be much smoother! :p

Last edited:
My friends, I've got a quick fix for you regarding Roach's disappearing mane! :p

This particular bug is caused by equipping and then removing one of the new Touissant saddles with added neck armor (e.g. the Caed Myrkvid saddle). Therefore, to bring Roach's mane back, just equip one of the non-Touissant saddles (e.g. the Ofieri stock saddle), since equipping any other Touissant saddles (even without any neck armor) will not bring Roach's mane back! ;)

After the mane reappears though, you can safely re-equip any Touissant saddle without any neck armor (e.g. Beauclair saddle) and Roach's mane will still be there, as it should! :D

Last edited:
Hello Verrenus!

I'm looking for a tweak that gonna show clues on minimap when using the witcher senes, searching the internet but no look so far.

Edit: Well seems i didn't check everything in some olds user.settings... :facepalm2:problem solved!

Last edited:
Hello Verrenus!

I'm looking for a tweak that gonna show clues on minimap when using the witcher senes, searching the internet but no look so far.

Edit: Well seems i didn't check everything in some olds user.settings... :facepalm2:problem solved!

Displaying witcher senses clues on your minimap is actually a setting you can enable from the in-game HUD configuration menu as well! I'm glad you figured it out in the end though. :p

For those players, who has CPU-related stuttering in the Novigrad on ultra settings (affected even i5-4690k, but i7 family not affected), and doesnt want to lowering settings such foliage distance or number of characters - go to your user.settings and set fps limit to 40-50 by
LimitFPS=40
in the Engine section. CPU usage will be less (about 15-25% difference), and stuttering will go away. Of course game has 30 fps limit setting but who wants to play with 30 fps?

Last edited:
Under Item 6 you write....To increase the responsiveness of in-game movement using a controller (and possibly mouse and keyboard), navigate to your "The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\platform\pc" folder, open "platformgameplay.settings" with a text editor (e.g. Notepad) and tweak the following variable as shown:

Don't know when the file changed but as of patch 1.22 it is now "platformgameplay.ini"

Guest 3841499

FYI, the new Extended View Distance (Asmo version!) provides the best lighting I have see so far! I think it also makes cut-scene lighting = in-game lighting, but not vanilla cut-scene lighting or STLM lighting.

FYI, the new Extended View Distance (Asmo version!) provides the best lighting I have see so far! I think it also makes cut-scene lighting = in-game lighting, but not vanilla cut-scene lighting or STLM lighting.
This is the one he's talking about, for the record. http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1672/

This looks like a wonderful alternative to STLM for those who prefer the vanilla lighting! Great find, guys, thank you very much for sharing! :D

Even Increased LOD got an update today http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/949/

I am really thankful to sjbox for continuing his work on this essential fix and would encourage everyone here to support him with kind comments and feedback on his mod page. He really deserves all of our kudos! ;)

Last edited:
How does the fog mod work? Does it remove blue fog like STML? Any other changes? In description he stated 'the mod removes most of the fog'. He meant blue fog, right?

How does the fog mod work? Does it remove blue fog like STML? Any other changes? In description he stated 'the mod removes most of the fog'. He meant blue fog, right?

It removes blue fog in order to increase visibility over long distances, yes! Ambiental (i.e. regular) fog is left untouched though. :p

It removes blue fog in order to increase visibility over long distances, yes! Ambiental (i.e. regular) fog is left untouched though. :p

The main advantage is that it doesn't mess up with lighting, which changed in 1.22 (in a positive way). Lighting modders have yet to analyze the newest changes to lighting related stuff, that's why i'd recommend not using any lighting mod just yet (besides the asmodean's fix which is included in one of the extended view distance's version).

Top Bottom