The Forlorn Hope: Cyberpunk Off-Topic

+
Mefris;n10001481 said:
Can I call a friend?

Please do.

Good morning everybody.

Just curious, what does everyone do for a living - if you feel like sharing? What corp (if any) have you sold your soul to?

As a side note, what games are you guys playing right now? I'm taking another 200-hour stroll through the Witcher 3 with some gameplay overhaul mods to make things more interesting/challenging. I got a new 144hz monitor recently so by turning everything on medium, I've been able to crack that 60FPS ceiling. Woohoo!

Snowflakez;n10004191 said:
Just curious, what does everyone do for a living - if you feel like sharing? What corp (if any) have you sold your soul to?
As stated above, I'm a lawyer. I prosecute criminal cases in the United States.
As a side note, what games are you guys playing right now?
I've actually been on a break since I finished the Horizon Zero Dawn expansion about a month ago. During Christmas I'm considering starting up either a Mass Effect Trilogy campaign or get back into a Crusader Kings II / Europa Universalis IV campaign I was doing back in the summer as Holland. I'll probably bounce between those two for a bit. I'm really just waiting for Red Dead Redemption 2 and Detroit: Become Human to come out. Still looking off at the horizon for The Last of Us II and Cyberpunk. I only buy two games a year (hurrah budgeting time and money!), so making the choice may be hard this year if one of those games gets a date for next year (I'm not holding my breath).

Good morning everybody.

Good mornin' (even though it's 6:30 PM where I live)!As I said previously I currently work for a ISP company based in Transylvania.Apart from that I'm an associate on a couple of different bussinses started by friends.Owned a carpenter company a while back but we had a fire at the office and decided to do something else.

As a side note, what games are you guys playing right now? I'm taking another 200-hour stroll through the Witcher 3 with some gameplay overhaul mods to make things more interesting/challenging. I got a new 144hz monitor recently so by turning everything on medium, I've been able to crack that 60FPS ceiling. Woohoo!
Just finished a complete playthrough of Pillars of Eternity + expansions.Really hyped about PoE2 right now :D Other than that mostly CK2 and They are Billions (love it even though it still needs some polish).I keep booting dosbox every once in awhile to play Daggerfall but I gotta be honest:it's getting harder and harder each year to play that game.

Edit:
Rawls;n10004271 said:
[...]or get back into a Crusader Kings II / Europa Universalis IV campaign I was doing back in the summer as Holland.
*Fist bump*

Last edited:
Rawls;n10004271 said:
As stated above, I'm a lawyer. I prosecute criminal cases in the United States. I've actually been on a break since I finished the Horizon Zero Dawn expansion about a month ago. During Christmas I'm considering starting up either a Mass Effect Trilogy campaign or get back into a Crusader Kings II / Europa Universalis IV campaign I was doing back in the summer as Holland. I'll probably bounce between those two for a bit. I'm really just waiting for Red Dead Redemption 2 and Detroit: Become Human to come out. Still looking off at the horizon for The Last of Us II and Cyberpunk. I only buy two games a year (hurrah budgeting time and money!), so making the choice may be hard this year if one of those games gets a date for next year (I'm not holding my breath).

Nice! Around age 15/16 I always assumed I'd be a lawyer. I was good at arguing with people (And winning), but I quickly realized there's a hell of a lot more to being a lawyer than arguing and gave up on that "Dream" (if you can call it that). Always been really good at writing, though, so now I write for a tech news site. I get to do it from home, whatever hours I please, so it works out. I'm hoping to translate that experience in a year or so into a job writing for Rock Paper Shotgun, PC Gamer, something like that. Pay is better, and I get to write about video games more often.

As for games, also very nice. I love CK2 in particular - I was never able to get into EUIV though, despite having bought it. I think I prefer the more personal, intrigue-focused nature of CK2. The "macro" level strategy never appealed to me as much. I like setting up those satisfying-as-hell political masterstrokes years in advance and then seeing them all come tumbling down because the AI decided to assassinate my son's betrothed...

If CP2077 does indeed come out next year, that'll probably be one of the few games I grab. I usually wait for sales, but if it comes out Q4 next year (and assuming it gets a release date at E3, which is still very much up in the air) I'll probably grab it day 1 - as long as the E3 footage doesn't turn me off to it entirely.

Mefris;n10004291 said:
Good mornin' (even though it's 6:30 PM where I live)!As I said previously I currently work for a ISP company based in Transylvania.Apart from that I'm an associate on a couple of different bussinses started by friends.Owned a carpenter company a while back but we had a fire at the office and decided to do something else.

Just finished a complete playthrough of Pillars of Eternity + expansions.Really hyped about PoE2 right now :D Other than that mostly CK2 and They are Billions (love it even though it still needs some polish).I keep booting dosbox every once in awhile to play Daggerfall but I gotta be honest:it's getting harder and harder each year to play that game.

Transylvania! That's exotic. Does Dracula live next door? :p

I see we have another CK2 player! We should all see if we can get together and run a campaign once a month or something. Love that game.

I never got too far in PoE, funnily enough. I loved the game, but I just kept getting destroyed. I'm pretty good at CRPGs in general, so I don't know why I couldn't get the hang of it. I think it had to do with party composition, the classes were a bit strange so it was tough to tell what was optimal and what wasn't.

Last edited:
Snowflakez;n10004311 said:
Transylvania! That's exotic. Does Dracula live next door? :p
If 123 miles away still qualifies as being next door,yes :D But you don't have to be close to Castle Bran to hear about Strigoi (vampires).Funfact:Old folks in some villages still rub garlic on their windows sills to ward off things like Strigoi/Moroi and Varcolaci (werewolves).
I see we have another CK2 player! We should all see if we can get together and run a campaign once a month or something. Love that game.
I'm game.Assassinating Spying on Betraying Playing with you guys sometime would be fun although the difference in time zones might make that difficult to set up.
I never got too far in PoE, funnily enough. I loved the game, but I just kept getting destroyed. I'm pretty good at CRPGs in general, so I don't know why I couldn't get the hang of it. I thik it had to do with party composition, the classes were a bit strange so it was tough to tell what was optimal and what wasn't.
I hear ya.Played a ranger on my first try and I had a rough time making my party work in conjunction with my own abilities.After a while it got better but I feel they could have done a better job of showing how to make a proper party (what works where best etc).You should try playing a cipher.The abilities are easy to understand and their flexibility makes the class good even for solo playthroughs.I made a cipher for my last playthrough and I absolutely demolished everything 90% of the time.When I saw I could clear pretty much everything in the first area after the ruins without going to Dyrwood and getting Aloth and Eder (as it's supposed to be done normally) I knew I made the right choice.

Good morning everybody.

As stated above, I'm nuts. I torment Rawls - because lawyer - and say dubious things that will one day get me fired. PUNKS YO!

Hooie. Bunch of things. Various Vive VR games. World of Warcraft a bit. Seven. Elex. Gonna get back into DOS 2. Honest. Soon.

Sardukhar;n10005381 said:
As stated above, I'm nuts. I torment Rawls - because lawyer - and say dubious things that will one day get me fired. PUNKS YO!

Hooie. Bunch of things. Various Vive VR games. World of Warcraft a bit. Seven. Elex. Gonna get back into DOS 2. Honest. Soon.

Are you single? *commence Facebook stalking*

Jokes aside, good choice in games. I love PB games despite their rough edges, and enjoyed the heck out of Elex. Unfortunately, I lost my save twice in a row about 30 hours in and lost my enthusiasm for it... Good old save corruption.

Seven was also fantastic from what I played of it, but also a bit rough. It had to take a back seat this week since I got the Witcher 3 bug again, but I'm excited to pick it up again sometime soon-ish.

It was a strange mixture of cyberpunk and fantasy, but it was pretty cool nonetheless.

Also, I'm jealous that you have a Vive. Seriously. Go to hell. Do you know how badly I want to try Vanishing Realms?

Snowflakez;n10005511 said:
Are you single? *commence Facebook stalking*

Jokes aside, good choice in games. I love PB games despite their rough edges, and enjoyed the heck out of Elex. Unfortunately, I lost my save twice in a row about 30 hours in and lost my enthusiasm for it... Good old save corruption.

Also, I'm jealous that you have a Vive. Seriously. Go to hell. Do you know how badly I want to try Vanishing Realms?

Nah, I'm married for decades...and have 3 kids. 2 full-grown. Frightening, right? IMAGINE ME AS A PARENT. Yes, it's as much fun as they say. Hint: stock lots of duct tape. Christmas Eve, I read the kids the Warhammer 40K Night Before Christmas and have for years. "Jump Jets Ignite!"

My mummy bought me my Vive, which was good, because I was -verrrrry- iffy about blowing the money on NewTech last year. It's a lot cheaper this year and comes with Fallout 4 VR, though.

I quite like it - my favourites are Subnautica, Google Earth and various games in VorpX. I've played Fallout 4 and Skyrim in the Vive already on Vorp X - pretty fun. Alien Isolation and STALKER are the scariest though and I'm not going back willingly!

I haven't finished Elex...last bit is a huge fight with the Albs that one of my boys already did and just shook his head over. That game kills me more than Dark Souls. I logged in a couple days ago, dided 6 times in about 5 minutes to mutants from blasts, fists, bites and falling. Out of practice. So deadly. But great! Sequel already on the way, too..

Snowflakez;n10006731 said:
NO! I missed it. Now it's left to my imagination.

Doctor... Lawyer... Astronaut... Farmhand?

I'm guessing astronaut-farmer! up there on some secret base farming in their own shit like Matt Damon :cool:

Snowflakez;n10006731 said:
NO! I missed it. Now it's left to my imagination. Doctor... Lawyer... Astronaut... Farmhand?
Lisbeth_Salander;n10006661 said:
I regret answering this. Erased.

*points* Well,you could always grill him for the info.

Sardukhar;n10005581 said:
Nah, I'm married for decades...and have 3 kids. 2 full-grown. Frightening, right? IMAGINE ME AS A PARENT.
I imagine you're a pretty cool dad Sard :)
Sardukhar;n10005381 said:
Argh I'm so conflicted on Elex.On one had I'm happy Piranha Bytes are back and making games and on the other I'm sad they are still a buggy mess.

Mefris;n10007421 said:

*points* Well,you could always grill him for the info.

I imagine you're a pretty cool dad Sard :)

Argh I'm so conflicted on Elex.On one had I'm happy Piranha Bytes are back and making games and on the other I'm sad they are still a buggy mess.

Indeed. I will say it's easily some of their best work yet, so if you can look past the issues (which is sounds like you maybe can, if you've been a fan of them for a while), give it a whirl. If they were to make an Elex 2 with exactly the same gameplay and instead spent that additional time finally fixing their games, it would actually be really, really good.

Last edited:
"Easily their best work"?Hm,that's some high praise Snow.I'll definitely give it a try but I'm tempted to let it "bake" a couple more months just to see if they can polish it a bit more.From what I saw of the game I got the impression that it's a diamond in the rough that needs just a bit more love to be right.

That reminds me,are any of you fans of The Guild series?I was excited when they said they were going to make a new one.That is until I found out they were going to put it into early access and I got to actually play it.Boy'o'boy is it a dumpster fire.

Mefris;n10010981 said:
"Easily their best work"?Hm,that's some high praise Snow.I'll definitely give it a try but I'm tempted to let it "bake" a couple more months just to see if they can polish it a bit more.From what I saw of the game I got the impression that it's a diamond in the rough that needs just a bit more love to be right.

That reminds me,are any of you fans of The Guild series?I was excited when they said they were going to make a new one.That is until I found out they were going to put it into early access and I got to actually play it.Boy'o'boy is it a dumpster fire.

Yes! I loved Renaissance and was extremely happy to see 3 pop up on the Steam store. After months and months of checking and waiting for updates, they do the worst possible thing...put it in Early Access...and yes, it is indeed a steaming pile of hot garbage.

They are basically the Piranha Bytes of the medieval life simulation genre. They make games with such interesting concepts and gameplay mechanics, but they release them in a totally unfinished state without seeming to give a crap. I don't understand it.

Much like you with Elex, I'm giving TG3 at least another year before I even think about picking it up, as said as that makes me to say.

On the bright side, Bannerlord looks like its really shaping up to be a good game - if you're into the M&B series.

Top Bottom