The Future of Red Engine?!

+
I think > "Cyberpunk 2077" (the current game) will never run with Unreal Engine. If there is a sequel, probably/maybe, but it's in a (very) long while I suppose (Unreal will no longer be in version 5, I suppose^^)
Cd Projekt Red Jobs shows The Witcher and Cyberpunk 2077 Unreal Engine Programmer

I think > "Cyberpunk 2077" (the current game) will never run with Unreal Engine. If there is a sequel, probably/maybe, but it's in a (very) long while I suppose (Unreal will no longer be in version 5, I suppose^^)

Yeah. Just given all of the verbiage they have used around their relationship with Epic/Unreal it is hard to believe they would use any other engine for an AAA game. Molasses Flood might use Unity or something like that for whatever they are making though.

But as it relates to CDPR and the two big franchises they own some things seem very clear:

1. They will be using Unreal Engine for their major AAA releases for the foreseeable future. (Witcher and Cyberpunk)
2. They are going to try to build multiplayer elements into future games or build a version of the games that is completely multiplayer. (Probably something between the multiplayer in Dark Souls all of the way to a completely stand alone game Fallout 76 style)
3. They are going to try to develop two AAA titles at the same time with resources that can bounce between teams if needed.
Post automatically merged:

Cd Projekt Red Jobs shows The Witcher and Cyberpunk 2077 Unreal Engine Programmer

I still really think they are referencing Cyberpunk 2077 as the Cyberpunk franchise in some of those job listings... rather than Cyberpunk 2077 the game.

They can label The Witcher as The Witcher (Series) because they have already revealed a new game. They will probably refer to Cyberpunk 2077 even if someone may eventually be working on Cyberpunk 2 as to avoid "spoiling" the sequel announcement even though I'm pretty sure we all know it will be coming in the next 5-10 years.

Obviously so. But I'm not sure about the final decision to go full-bore with UE5 before even knowing how it will all work in process. Quite literally, that's the sort of massive ambition, the "running before walking", that directly created the issues with TW3 and CP2077. It's not a guarantee that things will work out poorly, but taking on another ambitious title...while utilizing yet another engine that's still "in process"...and now directly relying on a team that's not even part of CDPR for core functionality...there's even more that can go awry.

I love the ambition and the forward thinking. I think the pace is showing that they're still biting off an awfully, awfully big chunk. And now, a huge part of the success or failure of the next installment doesn't even lie with the studio -- there is no guarantee that both parties will be able to live up to the terms of the contract or be able to work fluently within it.

I think a smaller title would have been much wiser for a first venture.

As for the independence statement, what I mean is: the next title will not be brought to you by CDPR. It will be, "CD Projekt RED and Epic Games presents..."
I don't think, realistically, a pretty large developer, that is trying to change strategy to have cross-title pools of expertise, can work on two completely different engines simultaneously. That's a recipe for people going mad and a huge amount of time being invested on the engine for one title which will have to be reinvested from scratch on the other title for exactly the same technical hiccups.

On top of that, I can only speculate but what happened with Cyberpunk strongly suggests that CDPR hit the limit of what was possible with their own engine for games *designed for a simultaneous multiplatform release*. It looks like they were fighting the tech to be able to make the game they wanted to make in a commercially viable amount of time.

You see that, most obviously, in the serious, serious problems with world streaming on the lower-end consoles at the time of release, and the compromises that had to be made on higher end systems, presumably to accommodate the lower end. So on the low end, roads weren't loading in fast enough. On the high end, the draw distance is at times noticeably inadequate (something that you see also in Witcher 3's Blood and Wine expansion, but in that case the environment is so much less detailed / populated, and so much more forgiving, that it's less distracting). On the low end, at release, the game inhabited the memory limit fine. On the higher end, the game still inhabited a very low amount of memory even in systems that had several multiples more memory available. Was the lower end console problem behind the dumbing down of water compared to Witcher 3, for example.

Changing engine is a serious decision. But if you're going to make that decision, you need to research it and then commit to it. Otherwise, your teams will not be able to work together. And based on the evidence in Cyberpunk itself, there are clear signs that many of the problems developers were having to reinvent the wheel to resolve are already handled better and out-of-the-box cross-platform in Unreal (think on the fly scaling of objects). Not to mention that the tech for multiplayer is already tried and proven in UE.

Last edited:
I can imagine that most of the work is in integrating stuff like this in ue flow:
But if they decided to switch is because EPIC has promised support to integrate that, could be the only special feature(that i can think about) that REDengine had that UE was lacking. In game graphics will depend mostly on artists and target minimum requirements , so i won't be hyped by tech demos at this point.

Yep already posted in another thread ;)
Some sort of "clickbait" video if you ask me. There are in-game sequences of the current game (Red Engine).... (0:27)
I would not call it clickbait exactly... Its more of a tech demo of how the game could look with the new engine. Its fairly well done but entierly meaningless since its all depending on the artists at CDPR. Its kinda the same as the "witcher in UE5" video. A nice showcase but not really representative of reality.

This may be true, but the announcement of Cyberpunk 2. Game on Unreal Engine 5
As far as I know, there was no announcement about "Cyberpunk 2" at all. CDPR will use Unreal Engine for future game(s) and will work with Epic Games for the next 15 years.

I don't think, realistically, a pretty large developer, that is trying to change strategy to have cross-title pools of expertise, can work on two completely different engines simultaneously. That's a recipe for people going mad and a huge amount of time being invested on the engine for one title which will have to be reinvested from scratch on the other title for exactly the same technical hiccups.

On top of that, I can only speculate but what happened with Cyberpunk strongly suggests that CDPR hit the limit of what was possible with their own engine for games *designed for a simultaneous multiplatform release*. It looks like they were fighting the tech to be able to make the game they wanted to make in a commercially viable amount of time.

You see that, most obviously, in the serious, serious problems with world streaming on the lower-end consoles at the time of release, and the compromises that had to be made on higher end systems, presumably to accommodate the lower end. So on the low end, roads weren't loading in fast enough. On the high end, the draw distance is at times noticeably inadequate (something that you see also in Witcher 3's Blood and Wine expansion, but in that case the environment is so much less detailed / populated, and so much more forgiving, that it's less distracting). On the low end, at release, the game inhabited the memory limit fine. On the higher end, the game still inhabited a very low amount of memory even in systems that had several multiples more memory available. Was the lower end console problem behind the dumbing down of water compared to Witcher 3, for example.

Changing engine is a serious decision. But if you're going to make that decision, you need to research it and then commit to it. Otherwise, your teams will not be able to work together. And based on the evidence in Cyberpunk itself, there are clear signs that many of the problems developers were having to reinvent the wheel to resolve are already handled better and out-of-the-box cross-platform in Unreal (think on the fly scaling of objects). Not to mention that the tech for multiplayer is already tried and proven in UE.
Well, it's done, so any of my argumentation at this point is largely moot. I fully understand the benefits of having a team like Epic working on this. And I'm not trying to spit doom and gloom about the future in any way. It's lots of creative minds that will pull something together -- just like they always have.

My one big shock here is that they would set their own creation totally aside, become reliant on a partner in such a way, and put the larger share of their chips on that venture. But, there it is.

Being 100% honest here -- I hope I'm totally wrong, the game is a massive hit, and I can eat my words.

Top Bottom