The General Videogame Thread

+
I am playing Chrono Cross at the moment and man, this game is so amazing thus far. It has choices that matter, with their consequences. I love being left in the dark for so long and I have no idea why the world hates me. Slowly you start to puzzle the pieces together. It has an excellent combat system and I have to say it's one of the best games I've played in a long time. Sure there are tons of games being made today. But can you really compare an average generic shooter with the quality of design, story, music, atmosphere and depth of some great rpg's of all time? I guess I am a bit fanboying at the moment, but yeah, I am getting the same vibes from Chrono Cross as the Final Fantasy series have, and Dragon Quest 7 & 8.

I am looking forward to the Witcher 3 of course. Finally a good RPG to wait for. Meanwhile I'll be playing Chrono Cross and afterwards a 3rd playthrough of The Witcher 2. :)

You mean apart from Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Divinity: Original Sin, and perhaps one or two more?

To be honest I am not that into pc-rpg's in general. I know... blasphemy. I don't like to control my characters from overhead view and tell them what to do. I want to be in control and walk around as the character. That way I feel more immersed.

Hey Kodaemon. Long time no see.

To be honest I am not that into pc-rpg's in general. I know... blasphemy. I don't like to control my characters from overhead view and tell them what to do. I want to be in control and walk around as the character. That way I feel more immersed.

Well everybody likes different things :) But the point is there *are* several actual RPG's worth waiting for.

I do think regardless of whether you control the character "directly" (action approach) or "indirectly" (traditional approach), you either ARE in control in both cases (and tell your character what to do) or you aren't. As I said in a different thread, the "stats" don't play for you. I just imagine you prefer the action oriented approach, it's all a matter of taste.

Rant of the day:
The issue I see with action games with RP elements is that you can bypass your character's abilities if you, the player, are particularly skilled at pressing buttons, which defeats the purpose of it being about role-playing.

Hey Kodaemon. Long time no see.

Well everybody likes different things :) But the point is there *are* several actual RPG's worth waiting for.

I do think regardless of whether you control the character "directly" (action approach) or "indirectly" (traditional approach), you either ARE in control in both cases (and tell your character what to do) or you aren't. As I said in a different thread, the "stats" don't play for you. I just imagine you prefer the action oriented approach, it's all a matter of taste.

Rant of the day:
The issue I see with action games with RP elements is that you can bypass your character's abilities if you, the player, are particularly skilled at pressing buttons, which defeats the purpose of it being about role-playing.

Hmm the same can be said for overhead view. Click on the skill button and the character does the skill for you. That is even less impressive than pressing buttons at the right time, dodging, evading and striking in a particular way + a whole lot more. =P

Hmm the same can be said for overhead view. Click on the skill button and the character does the skill for you. That is even less impressive than pressing buttons at the right time, dodging, evading and striking in a particular way + a whole lot more. =P

Heh. In a way that is precisely the point. You choose what to do but only your character can do it. You play within its limitations, not YOURS. An inexperienced character couldn't possibly engage, say, a giant ogre and actually kill it. A reflex based system may allow a quick player to kill the ogre one hit point at a time, stabbing its ankles with an ice pick.

In any case, traditional cRPG gameplay is not about just sitting there and watching events unfold. It requires your active participation and thoughtful decision making in positioning and actions, anticipating your opponents moves and actions. Have you seen, for example, Temple of Elemental Evil? You don't just "click the skill button". You have dozens of skills and another dozen possible moves and ways of approaching your opponent. What if you miss and leave yourself vulnerable to a devastating attack? What if your enemy flanks you and cripples you with a critical strike? What if your weak character 1 is right next to opponent 1 and leaving awards him an attack of opportunity, potentially killing character 1? Perhaps character 2 should step in and immobilize or kill opponent 1 before character 1 even tries to do anything. But then again, maybe character 2's reaction (forgot the proper term) only lets him step in AFTER opponent 1. And all this within the allotted number of moves or round duration. In other words, you may not be able to both move AND attack. You may need to think about all this for minutes before you even press the button and command your guy to move one step.

I think some of you guys really have the wrong impression of how traditional RPG's play like. You're too used to WoW :p

Last edited:
Played Titanfall today. even tho I am veteran of COD and CS I didn't like it at all. Too much chaos, maybe some people like 4 titans punching each other like little girls or running in circles while shooting until somone dies, but not me.

Finished NaissanceE. Overall I liked it, despite a few weaker sections and some frustrating first-person platforming (something which I did not expect from the game).

Fantastic music (the game actually feels like an extended, interactive music video for an ambient album at times). Enormous sense of scale, very, very recommended for fans of Tsutomu Nihei's megastructures.

Also, the extended homage to
Journey
near the end had me grinning wide.

Cheat, there's probably some mods out there or just drop it down to easy if you haven't allready. You know how it is with Bioware, they swamp you with pointless combat every few feet, you can either endure it or make it piss easy.

Top Bottom