The General Videogame Thread

+
I think your friend doesn't know much about how hard drives or Windows functions. What your friend said used to be true back when people were using HDD's with much smaller capacities. They were using like 99% of their tiny hard drives and not leaving enough room for Window's paging file. As long as you leave at least 16 GB free (Windows shouldn't ever need more than this to function normally) then you'll be fine. You will not notice any significant difference in performance if you use more than 50% of your 1 TB HDD.

Precisely. Never filled a hard drive with Windows but Linux does it OK as long as you have enough room for OS operation (virtual memory, logs, etc.).

It's like the old rule of thumb of having a swap partition twice the size of your RAM. Nonsense nowadays. At the most, just the size of your RAM if you run a laptop that must suspend and dump RAM to disk. I normally use 2 GB just because.

Back to huge backlogs and how we play games:

There are several reasons why I buy and play a lot of games. And while it happens, rushing through to see as many as possible is not how I go about things.

First and foremost, I'll buy most of what is said to be any good and lies within my preferred genres or looks promising, anyway, when it's cheap enough. But I won't frantically rush through them all. I enjoy sales as a means to get a better impression of the games I want to play. I'll play the games I bought for a couple of hours. If I like it I'll take my time to play it thoroughly, if I don't I'll put it aside and play something else instead. Sort of like an extended demo for <10 euros.

But that alone seems like a huge waste of money, so there's more to it. I'm just interested in games as a product of development - how do they work, how do different devs approach games with similar premises, what's new in games, etc etc. I enjoy playing many games for just a couple of hours (or less) to get a solid impression of its mechanics, approach to narrative, distinctive features, etc, to further my knowledge. It's interesting to look behind the scenes of a game and think about its inner workings.

Last but not least, there are cases of false hope. Games I hope I'll get around to play, some time. They are not very expensive, so I just go ahead and grab it while the sale lasts... and never actually play them. Especially strategy games often fall in this category, as they tend to consume a lot of time. Or that game series I totally wanted to catch up with, but the right mood to start with the first old-ish installments fails to come.

My gaming habits have changed as I've aged. I used to love to play most anything and everything when I was younger (15-25 years ago); I just loved gaming in general since so many games were actually new experiences instead of the same game re-wrapped with different graphics. In the past many games actually offered new ideas and innovation.

As I've grown older it seems innovation is a thing of the past; many games offer the same gaming experience as their predecessor(s) so I find them to be of little interest. Consequentially, I now play very few games. Instead of playing 20-30 games a year I now average maybe one or two per year.

Last edited:
See, that's why I don't want to raise my standards. Keeping them low allows me to enjoy the simply things in life, like CoD, or Ender's Game.

Then stay far, far away from the game Sui Generis! After playing that game you'll never want to go back to playing any other game. I've introduced several people to the game and now they can't help but compare everything else to it ;).

See, that's why I don't want to raise my standards. Keeping them low allows me to enjoy the simply things in life, like CoD, or Ender's Game.

It's sad when people have to do this, and I mean no offense by the way. I do this on occasion myself, see AC series, sort of.

I could probably pick up a CoD game and have a time with it just because the last for me was WaW. Wish I could do it with Destiny but the grind is just getting old with basically no reward.

It's sad when people have to do this, and I mean no offense by the way. I do this on occasion myself, see AC series, sort of.

I could probably pick up a CoD game and have a time with it just because the last for me was WaW. Wish I could do it with Destiny but the grind is just getting old with basically no reward.

Yeah I find that really dumb shooters and open world games are great for frustration relief. Not sure what everyone else thinks about that, but it works for me.

The only thing I really enjoyed about CoD and shooters like that was playing with a really good group of friends. Playing with random pubs is... never the same. Most of my friends have moved on to other games I don't play. Some still play BF, and I haven't let myself sink low enough to buy any more of that. I still go back and play BC2 every once in awhile. Loved the 'Nam maps. Anyway... I have some friends who bought CoD:AW, but I don't think they'll play it long. It's been like that since the second Black Ops. They buy it, play it for a week, maybe two, and they never touch it again.

Yeah I find that really dumb shooters and open world games are great for frustration relief. Not sure what everyone else thinks about that, but it works for me.

I only have a PC, so I didn't invest in Destiny at all, but Planet Side 2 is good. Very good. I don't understand how you can make an MMO and not put it on PC.... Something feels really wrong there. Shooter MMO or otherwise...

I only have a PC, so I didn't invest in Destiny at all, but Planet Side 2 is good. Very good. I don't understand how you can make an MMO and not put it on PC.... Something feels really wrong there. Shooter MMO or otherwise...

I've never played any of them. I know that they have a fairly large player base, but MMOs are not my thing.

The only thing I really enjoyed about CoD and shooters like that was playing with a really good group of friends. Playing with random pubs is... never the same. Most of my friends have moved on to other games I don't play. Some still play BF, and I haven't let myself sink low enough to buy any more of that. I still go back and play BC2 every once in awhile. Loved the 'Nam maps. Anyway... I have some friends who bought CoD:AW, but I don't think they'll play it long. It's been like that since the second Black Ops. They buy it, play it for a week, maybe two, and they never touch it again.

Had fun in Modern Warfare 1 but then I beat this English guy badly in like 10 cage matches in a row. He was so pissed and he finally broke down and asked how, told him silent running was amazing. Invited me to his work clan and had lots of fun.

Imagine 6-7 Blothulfurs talking loudly at once. That's what our chat sounded like.

I've never played any of them. I know that they have a fairly large player base, but MMOs are not my thing.

Even if MMOs aren't usually your deal, try some PlanetSide2. It doesn't feel the same as a typical 'go here and harvest 10 of these with all these other people doing the same thing in a bleak landscape' kinda MMO. Especially if you can get in with some buddies. It's a lot like BF with your different classes running around in the same squad, but you have an entire continent to conquer. So, once one objective is captured you witness a HOARD of fighters all taking off across the landscape to the next battle arena. SO GOOD.

Had fun in Modern Warfare 1 but then I beat this English guy badly in like 10 cage matches in a row. He was so pissed and he finally broke down and asked how, told him silent running was amazing. Invited me to his work clan and had lots of fun.

Imagine 6-7 Blothulfurs talking loudly at once. That's what our chat sounded like.

Yeah, I ran NinjaPro in the first Black Ops with my surround sound Logitech G930 headset... I could hear everyone. Everywhere. CoD maps are small enough as it is, I didn't need any spy plane or anything. Well, sometimes I'd get a little over zelous and hear someone around the corner and shoot before actually looking and it'd be a team mate. :X I hated that.....
But a teamspeak full of Blothulfurs... Now that would be something to record!!!
Wasn't big on MW, but I could play some WaW anytime. Red Orchestra2 somehow makes me think of WaW. Really good if you haven't tried it.

@Csàszàr To be honest, the connection between CoD:WaW and RO2 ends with the WW2 theme... I just don't want to feel I've mislead you. Red Orchestra is much more realisitc, maps based on actual RL locations, as opposed to BF it actually has more realistic bullet drop, bigger maps, it's literally trench warfare. You fight with your team to either defend or capture the next objective, you move from cover to cover, there are roles you can select to play and if you don't play your role you will hurt your team, and they will hurt you this way... There is a very STEEP learning curve. You don't have floating green or red names above team mates and enemies to tell who is who. You have to learn uniforms, and who runs with both hands on their rifle or just one hand on their rifle. So, it's not some small map you can run around and play TDM on kind of game... But it's extremely fun. You know, once you've rage quite a few times because of that learning curve I mentioned. x )

EDIT: Adding to an ungodly texty post....(sorry) I forgot the more important part. There's no invisible magical crosshair in the very center of the screen for RO2 like there is for CoD. Tripwire's put a lot of work into the bullet trajectory. Where your gun barrel points is were that bullet goes.

Last edited:
Played Red Orchestra 2 on release. That was some smashing fun, somehow though I ended up overleveled with everything unlocked after a match. Deleted it off my Steam just in case right after though. That was my old Steam though, might buy it again.

RO is my favorite shooter, honestly. Not that I'm good at it, but I really love it. I've never had the issue with unlocking everything at once, though. That's crazy.

Top Bottom